Poll

Is your country eligible?

Yes
271 (65.1%)
No
145 (34.9%)

Total Members Voted: 406

Voting closed: March 29, 2016, 12:24:45 am

Author Topic: Keysight Scope Giveaway  (Read 181895 times)

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
Re: Keysight Scope Giveaway
« Reply #425 on: March 27, 2016, 05:34:16 pm »
I didn't enter the scope month giveaway because it seems more oriented towards actual companies and not really for a hobbyist like myself.

With the taxes on top of that it kind of sealed my decision not to enter and let the bigger fish go for it and take my chances only with the dumpster scope offered by Dave.

I think it's a great thing what Keysight is doing, at 80% off, is an awesome deal for someone looking for a scope of that caliber. I would feel bad if I won and took a cheaper offering instead because in my mind it takes a great deal away for others.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #426 on: March 28, 2016, 01:35:29 am »
I didn't enter the scope month giveaway because it seems more oriented towards actual companies and not really for a hobbyist like myself.

With the taxes on top of that it kind of sealed my decision not to enter and let the bigger fish go for it and take my chances only with the dumpster scope offered by Dave.

I think it's a great thing what Keysight is doing, at 80% off, is an awesome deal for someone looking for a scope of that caliber. I would feel bad if I won and took a cheaper offering instead because in my mind it takes a great deal away for others.

As a small biz owner, I appreciate that. While I am not counting on luck for growth - winning a contest like this would really help me move to a pond with bigger fish. In general, I try to be in a position to take advantage of luck when it does come and rely on my skills when I am down on my luck.

I have submitted a video for the 6000X 6Ghz in hopes that I can make a move into a new realm in high-speed FPGA based DSP. I have been studying day and night, but in the end I have to be able to analyze the real circuits and behavior to use my theoretical knowledge. It would be a huge risk for a small outfit like mine to finance the $70k scope. The scope is only part of the expense, other test equipment and an R&D money to support the design cycle is needed as well. Hope the voting process leans my way.

At the moment, I have my eBay bench of old/used everything and have worked my way through some challenging power electronics designs. Next up - high-speed digital and a new chapter in my career. Fingers crossed.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline ela_ela

• Contributor
« Reply #427 on: March 28, 2016, 05:10:05 am »
5 winners I'm aware of.
Did you count me?

Offline kayvee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #428 on: March 28, 2016, 05:22:21 am »
5 winners I'm aware of.

Yeah but it looks like the bulk of them joined after they had won.

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #429 on: March 28, 2016, 01:30:51 pm »
Did you count me?

Wow, another winner? Congratulations! Did they tell you how much (if anything) you will have to pay for your prize?

Quote from: kayvee
Yeah but it looks like the bulk of them joined after they had won.

This seems to be the case. But just look at the "guest : members" ratio at the bottom of the page (1272 : 287 at this very moment), there are obviously a lot more lurkers than active members on the forum, so this isn't really that surprising.

Offline ela_ela

• Contributor
« Reply #430 on: March 29, 2016, 07:34:04 am »
Wow, another winner? Congratulations! Did they tell you how much (if anything) you will have to pay for your prize?
Thank you.
After I sent the completed pdf back I got nothing in return. Besides I asked about a "solution" not to pay import VAT.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #431 on: March 29, 2016, 03:27:26 pm »
Thank you.
Besides I asked about a "solution" not to pay import VAT.

Here's a solution: sign it over to me. I'll give you a T-Shirt!  O0

Offline raupi

• Contributor
« Reply #432 on: March 30, 2016, 03:58:37 pm »
@ela_ela: please check your pn, there might be some good news for you  :)

The following users thanked this post: ela_ela

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #433 on: March 30, 2016, 06:01:29 pm »
How come there are so many winners von Deutschland  ?  I am's call shenanigans on this racket.

Offline ericloewe

• Supporter
« Reply #434 on: March 30, 2016, 10:13:54 pm »
How come there are so many winners von Deutschland  ?  I am's call shenanigans on this racket.
Probably the country with the second highest KSC factor: market size * percentage of interested people aware of the contest (EEVblog being popular there helps, I guess).

Offline shplatt

• Contributor
« Reply #435 on: March 31, 2016, 12:01:28 am »
Just curious...  Have any scope winners actually received their scopes or confirmation that one has been shipped?  I've been in contact with the channel manager for almost three weeks - still no scope.  She doesn't seem to be in a hurry.  No worries... I'm sure I'm not her highest priority.  Though the little cynical voice in my head has been telling me this giveaway is just one elaborate April Fools joke.   8)  So far, cooler heads have prevailed.

Cheers.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #436 on: March 31, 2016, 08:00:26 am »
Just curious...  Have any scope winners actually received their scopes or confirmation that one has been shipped?  I've been in contact with the channel manager for almost three weeks - still no scope.  She doesn't seem to be in a hurry.  No worries... I'm sure I'm not her highest priority.  Though the little cynical voice in my head has been telling me this giveaway is just one elaborate April Fools joke.   8)  So far, cooler heads have prevailed.

Cheers.

I think for efficiency purposes they will probably try and ship all scopes at around the same time.

Offline nihtila

• Regular Contributor
  • A Finn in Scotland. Audio Apps Engineer and Maker.
    • nihtila.com DIY audio electronics
« Reply #437 on: March 31, 2016, 08:18:34 am »

I think for efficiency purposes they will probably try and ship all scopes at around the same time.

That may be true. I was contacted by the local distributor a week ago, they confirmed my contact details and address and said will let me know about the schedule later. I will probably drop them an email next week if I don't hear anything by that.
http://nihtila.com - Vegan DIY audio electronics, does not contain snake oil

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #438 on: March 31, 2016, 08:19:40 am »

Offline ela_ela

• Contributor
« Reply #439 on: March 31, 2016, 09:00:02 am »
@ela_ela: please check your pn, there might be some good news for you  :)

Thanks... that are really good news!

Here is the official way to receive your prize if you are from Germany, as told to me by Keysight Germany.
Order your prize from your distributor and point to the winners list at keysight.com and/or forward them the email from Julie.
The distributor will order it from Malaysia and Keysight Germany will pay all costs. You have to pay nothing. Hello to @ProBang2!

We will remember Sebastian the troll who rejected his price.

Cheers,
Manuela

PS: @Ice-Tea: Take your T-Shirt and put it in your ...  O0
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 09:17:00 am by ela_ela »

The following users thanked this post: Towger, continuo

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #440 on: March 31, 2016, 11:14:53 am »
PS: @Ice-Tea: Take your T-Shirt and put it in your ...  O0

Closet?  :popcorn:

Offline PeterEE

• Contributor
« Reply #441 on: March 31, 2016, 02:11:12 pm »
... You have to pay nothing.

If only Americans were so lucky.

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #442 on: March 31, 2016, 02:51:57 pm »
I think it really boils down to cultural differences between the US and the EU. Having to pay something on a "free" prize is absolutely uncommon over here, no one has ever heard of such a case, whereas it seems to be the accepted norm in the US (as I've learned). On the other hand, try to fill up your gas guzzling pickup-truck on a German gas-station, paying German gas prices, you would be broke within a month or two  :-DD

Anyway: Kudos to Keysight to sort it out for the lucky winners, what a great and unexpected move by them. Great company, great gear, great people, weird name  ;D

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #443 on: April 01, 2016, 06:23:12 pm »
The distributor will order it from Malaysia and Keysight Germany will pay all costs. You have to pay nothing.

We will remember Sebastian the troll who rejected his price.

Sometimes life is fair. 8)
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #444 on: April 01, 2016, 09:47:57 pm »
We will remember Sebastian the troll who rejected his pri[z]e.

He is still listed as a winner of a $x0,000 scope. I sincerely hope that the very least Keysight do with these giveaways is demand proof of identity. I mean any script kiddy in a German basement could generate thousands of entries that only allowed 1 chinese person to win, yet loads of Germans? ... and loads of Kraut tears too  :-DD

Offline nihtila

• Regular Contributor
  • A Finn in Scotland. Audio Apps Engineer and Maker.
    • nihtila.com DIY audio electronics
« Reply #445 on: April 01, 2016, 10:11:50 pm »
We will remember Sebastian the troll who rejected his pri[z]e.

He is still listed as a winner of a $x0,000 scope. I sincerely hope that the very least Keysight do with these giveaways is demand proof of identity. I mean any script kiddy in a German basement could generate thousands of entries that only allowed 1 chinese person to win, yet loads of Germans? ... and loads of Kraut tears too  :-DD

But there seems to be two 4000X winners on 25th so one is maybe due to Sebastian declining his prize.

Btw, why did they suddenly start to show the last names as well :P
http://nihtila.com - Vegan DIY audio electronics, does not contain snake oil

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #446 on: April 01, 2016, 10:27:42 pm »
Loads? I've counted 3  :-//

SebW
ela_ela
raupi

Offline broz

• Regular Contributor
  • Pronounced like the "bros." in "Super Mario bros."
    • My Wordpress Page
« Reply #447 on: April 02, 2016, 04:21:23 am »

They started showing the last names after they were contacted by someone who saw their first name and last initial thinking they had won a brand spankin' new scope only to find out that it was someone else who had won.
Slowly but surely making my way through EE school

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoffTopic starter

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #448 on: April 05, 2016, 07:23:26 pm »

They started showing the last names after they were contacted by someone who saw their first name and last initial thinking they had won a brand spankin' new scope only to find out that it was someone else who had won.

Happened a couple times, actually.  Even with the full names we had to break the heart of one poor soul.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #449 on: April 05, 2016, 07:25:06 pm »
I looked for my name twice and never saw it Darn.....
Sue AF6LJ

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf