Author Topic: Purchase BOM from single source? Experiences?  (Read 6131 times)

Offline nardevTopic starter

• Supporter
Purchase BOM from single source? Experiences?
« on: September 24, 2018, 07:15:08 pm »
I'm preparing few prototypes and i have several BOM lists but i find it quite difficult to chase around cheap parts on ebay.

Is there any proper supplier which is affordable and easy going which can just take the list and send me the invoice easily? All parts that i need are available on ebay, not always affordable as on taobao.

I don't want to keep big stocks of parts and buy big kits of which i need only 2 values out of 100 different etc.

thnx

Offline mbest

• Contributor
Re: Purchase BOM from single source? Experiences?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 07:19:19 pm »
I've been trying to figure out this myself, for items from aliexpress or banggood, etc.

If it's strictly ICs and passives, you can probably get them from LCSC.

Otherwise I was looking at shipping aggregators that will purchase the items for you and then consolidate them and ship the final package to you.

edit: ICs and passives https://lcsc.com/
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 07:54:03 pm by mbest »

The following users thanked this post: nardev

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 07:23:15 pm »
For example i want to test same board but one PCB is mostly 0603 caps/resistors/inductors... and same thing with mostly 0805 parts.

Also, some ICs but i often need 10-20 max 50 of those, i don't want to get 1000 as sometimes some suppliers require.

So, actually i wish to find someone who is in china and who can collect that for me so that i don't need to stroll around on ebay and wait sometimes 2 months etc.

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 08:16:14 pm »
well, lcsc looks pretty good, bit expensive than ebay but i guess that what i would save on time.. just hope i'll be able to get all i need.

Offline mbest

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 08:21:53 pm »
It really depends what it is, but there are no clone parts I was told.

Some parts will be cheaper out of eg. Digikey especially ICs in my experience, but it's not universal.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 08:55:01 pm »
If you buy from China, there will be massive amounts of counterfeits. I'm pretty sure you already got such, just don't realize that. I'd suggest TME (especially passives and common transistors, ICs), Farnell, Mouser. Often components will be cheaper compared to genuine stuff from China. If you have order of decent value (depends on country), shipping from Mouser will be free.
to chase around cheap parts on ebay.
You should write - chase for cheap counterfeit parts. Even LM358 usually are counterfeit.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 08:56:36 pm »
I have bought a LOT ( tens of thousands of dollars ) of parts from LCSC and they are legit, real parts.   And they deliver on time. freight is easy. 

Ebay... you are in a whole differnet space!
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 09:03:37 pm »
I have bought a LOT ( tens of thousands of dollars ) of parts from LCSC and they are legit, real parts.   And they deliver on time. freight is easy. 

Yeah but I don't think you'll get any overall savings compared to TME. BTW ebay/aliexpress parts even if genuine often are old stock or even old parts remarked with a new date code. Such parts usually just do not solder well. May be bearable if soldered by hand with additional flux but really suck for reflow.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 09:51:40 pm »

Yeah but I don't think you'll get any overall savings compared to TME. BTW ebay/aliexpress parts even if genuine often are old stock or even old parts remarked with a new date code. Such parts usually just do not solder well. May be bearable if soldered by hand with additional flux but really suck for reflow.

Never used TME.      I have done parts verification with the orginal manufacturers to make sure that they are the real deal.      I'm buying brands like Samsung, TDK, Panasonic,  NXE..   I dont' tend to buy Microcontrollers out of China, as they are more expensive.     

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 09:59:43 pm »
Never used TME.
It's cheap (like $2.5 for a reel of SMT resistors), and as I'm in EU, next day shipping and no customs (we have tiny EUR 22 limit). AFAIK it's decent if ordering from overseas too.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 02:50:14 am »
Never used TME.
It's cheap (like $2.5 for a reel of SMT resistors), and as I'm in EU, next day shipping and no customs (we have tiny EUR 22 limit). AFAIK it's decent if ordering from overseas too.

I'll certainly look at them .  IN fact i think we might have used them once last year, when they had somethign that no one else had.     I had a look for a reel of 10k resitors and certainly did'tn find them for $2.5 though. More like $22.     Which puts them in the same price point as Digikey.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 02:53:29 am by mrpackethead »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 09:22:20 am »
I'll certainly look at them .  IN fact i think we might have used them once last year, when they had somethign that no one else had.     I had a look for a reel of 10k resitors and certainly did'tn find them for $2.5 though. More like $22.     Which puts them in the same price point as Digikey.
They may have some components priced like digikey but the vast majority is at least a few times cheaper. Hmm, resistor price have jumped several times since the last time bought those. I guess worldwide passive shortage has something to do with this. Last time I made a large order MLCC were already expensive but resistors still remained the same as before. Interestingly some resistor networks still cost the same. What a weird time when a single resistor costs as much as res network  :palm:.
Hardly available product
Still $14, not $22. https://www.tme.eu/gb/details/0603saj0103t5e/0603-smd-resistors/royal-ohm/
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 09:44:10 am by wraper »

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 09:49:44 am »
I prefer mouser, they ship in bags with the most information on it, and each text has a barcode if you're into that (eg: assisted assembly). Often the full product code, name and value fields. They also have a nice BOM manager on their website.

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 05:56:07 pm »
So far so good.

It took a while but i had an option to choose DHL if i needed parts sooner. So, i'm happy.

The best of all is that i was able to get some rarely available parts, some buttons, switches of unusual shape and soem relays that cost 3 to 5 times more on mouser, digikey etc.. if they have it..

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 06:34:25 pm »
I order piles of stuff from LCSC. Sometimes gets here before RS next day  :palm:

No problems with any parts here. I’ve actually been experimenting with the “no brand” stuff on there as well and it all does exactly what it says on the tin.

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 08:48:38 pm »
Next time i'll test www.tme.eu and www.arrow.com looks like they have good service too.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 09:36:57 pm »
Meh. Those resistor prices seem to be nearly identical with Mouser US. I think I paid 15 dollars per 5000 pieces on my last two orders. (9.00 per 3K reel of 0603)

One thing I notice with Mouser, if you sort by price, the first several components have the lowest individual unit price, but they almost always have a bad cost in quantity. You have to scroll down approximately 4 or 5 spots to get to the good stuff.

I also don't set out to buy exactly 10K resistors. For a pullup, Imma use a range of value and take what's cheapest. 

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2018, 08:31:58 am »
I just thought how nice it would it be if you had an option to choose for shipping option "manual assembly", where they ship all parts in labeled small sealed tray bins.

We did once receive an horrible inefficient package from Wurth, so there are trays on the market.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 08:35:22 am by Jeroen3 »

Offline SMTech

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2018, 10:36:33 am »
To be honest, in our experience as a manufacturer RS/Farnell/whoever are already far too heavily geared towards serving "Ted in his shed" who orders tiny quantities of things and cares nothing for production compatibility. This has an adverse affect on everyone else, so I might want for example 200 SO8 parts, which is rather less than the 2500 on a std reel, a cut tape would be perfectly acceptable, but no, because of "Ted in his sodding shed", RS has chopped that entire 2500 reel, that represents their entire stock, into strips of 1 and put them in stupid little bags. Frankly they all need to move that kind of service to another tier, make it the exception not the rule its drives me up the wall. You can theoretically bypass the issue some of the time by liaising with a specific desk/service area for some of these suppliers, but that stops you ordering online and adds the delay of a human processing your order.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2018, 11:20:43 am »
That pisses me off no end that does and I am Ted in his shed :)

It's either that or get buggered for re-reeling. CPC are the worst. Bought 100 1N4004's to carry future stock and every one was one diode neatly cut off ammo pack and bagged. And some of the bags were empty where they had cocked up.

I think RS / Farnell / CPC are "dumbass optimised" i.e. the lowest pay grade people they can pile into the packing floor.

LCSC ship quantity cut off reels for low quantities. I haven't tried production quantities (yet) but I assume if you buy 5Kpc they just throw a reel in a bag and ship it.

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2018, 11:35:46 am »
That pisses me off no end that does and I am Ted in his shed :)

It's either that or get buggered for re-reeling. CPC are the worst. Bought 100 1N4004's to carry future stock and every one was one diode neatly cut off ammo pack and bagged. And some of the bags were empty where they had cocked up.

I think RS / Farnell / CPC are "dumbass optimised" i.e. the lowest pay grade people they can pile into the packing floor.

LCSC ship quantity cut off reels for low quantities. I haven't tried production quantities (yet) but I assume if you buy 5Kpc they just throw a reel in a bag and ship it.

In my order i had about 70 different items 3 to 300 quantity and everything nicely packed... Even, more than needed. One chip they put in paper box and than in an anti-static bag.

They didn't make issue if i ordered 3-4 kinds of caps sometimes 2pcs and sometimes 30pcs. They treated it all same... Usually in local electronics shop if i say 3pcs of some kind of transistor and 10 x 10k resistors, they look at me as if i'm wasting their time... So, i'm pleased with this.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2018, 11:46:03 am »
To be honest, in our experience as a manufacturer RS/Farnell/whoever are already far too heavily geared towards serving "Ted in his shed" who orders tiny quantities of things and cares nothing for production compatibility. This has an adverse affect on everyone else, so I might want for example 200 SO8 parts, which is rather less than the 2500 on a std reel, a cut tape would be perfectly acceptable, but no, because of "Ted in his sodding shed", RS has chopped that entire 2500 reel, that represents their entire stock, into strips of 1 and put them in stupid little bags. Frankly they all need to move that kind of service to another tier, make it the exception not the rule its drives me up the wall. You can theoretically bypass the issue some of the time by liaising with a specific desk/service area for some of these suppliers, but that stops you ordering online and adds the delay of a human processing your order.
As long as you remember to select the production packaging option, RS are usually OK, but if they've already cut their only stock of a part into bits that's a pain.
IME Farmell are usually OK, barring the very occasional crushed tape in a bag.
But for production I tend to default to Digikey simply because the website is the least painful.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2018, 11:55:05 am »
Do digikey handle VAT / customs properly? I am forever afraid of getting mugged by the parcel monkeys.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2018, 12:56:45 pm »
Do digikey handle VAT / customs properly? I am forever afraid of getting mugged by the parcel monkeys.
Yes, Digikey and Mouser now work just like Uk suppliers - VAT charged at time of order, no surprises later.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2018, 01:03:33 pm »
Thanks. Good news. That gives me an excuse to order a couple of Hammond transfomers I wanted.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf