Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 453096 times)

Ian.M, Zeyneb and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #251 on: October 20, 2020, 07:52:32 am »
#blessed hashtag  :palm: :palm: :palm:
Maybe it's just that they got saved by BLES, Breast Lesion Excision System?  Breast cancer awareness isn't too bad, methinks.

:-/O :palm:

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #252 on: October 20, 2020, 08:13:56 am »
Blessed are the cheese makers.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: Ivy-Jane

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #253 on: October 20, 2020, 11:35:21 am »
or, quite literally, #brianblessed.

The following users thanked this post: Ivy-Jane

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #254 on: October 21, 2020, 09:47:50 pm »
Many people like to say things like, "I am loving this new thing," instead of saying, "I love this new thing."

Or "I am wanting a new thing" instead of "I want a new thing."

I don't get it.

Ooh, this one gets me. I'm so sick of the -ing-ing of colloquial American English.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #255 on: October 21, 2020, 10:54:25 pm »
Many people like to say things like, "I am loving this new thing," instead of saying, "I love this new thing."

Or "I am wanting a new thing" instead of "I want a new thing."

I don't get it.

Ooh, this one gets me. I'm so sick of the -ing-ing of colloquial American English.

F*k-ing annoy-ing!   :D

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #256 on: October 21, 2020, 11:33:04 pm »
Could be worse, you could be in Ohio where everything is plural.  "I had to renew my driver's licneses, because of COVID I'll have to  get them online" or  "I  went to WalMarts", or "I got it at WalMarts"

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #257 on: October 22, 2020, 12:03:09 am »
Could be worse, you could be in Ohio where everything is plural.  "I had to renew my driver's licneses, because of COVID I'll have to  get them online" or  "I  went to WalMarts", or "I got it at WalMarts"
Similar to company names with apostrophe and plural.
National's Semiconductors makes it sound like a mum and dad operation.
National Semiconductor sounds much better.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #258 on: October 23, 2020, 03:22:41 am »
I suspect it's historical, coming from a time and region where most businesses WERE small "mom & pop" operations with apostrophe'd (possessive) names. "Frank's General Store" might be locally referred to just as "Frank's", if most businesses were traditionally named that way I could see people habitually pronouncing others in that manner. It's not something I recall hearing around here though.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #259 on: October 23, 2020, 04:31:54 pm »
You put full stops at the end of your sentences;

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #260 on: October 23, 2020, 04:44:01 pm »
My pet peeve is any programming language that requires semicolons to denote end of statements.

It allows putting several statements on one line;  this can be useful at times.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, newbrain, james_s

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #261 on: October 23, 2020, 05:02:18 pm »
Being explicit and clear is must in programming. This is science and/or engineering.

Whitespace delimitation is a great idea every newbie gets but fails miserably in real world. Programming languages have evolved from early simple BASIC style languages into using more explicit and visible delimiters and this is only good. Yes, Python is crap, but it's crap anyway because you can't know whichever version of language happens to work for whatever program. It isn't supposed to be stable, robust or do what you expect it to do, so whitespace control of program flow is just OK for that mindset anyway.

Suck it up and grow up, you'll get used to it in, what, 10 minutes. I had zero problems accepting ; as a 11-year old when I started with C.

Use the same idea whenever designing any ASCII based protocol. Oh lord the time wasted fighting with stupidly designed / buggy whitespace parsers in commercial / industrial equipment such as programmable power supplies and measurement devices, expecting exact combination of \n, \r, \n\r, \r\n or who knows what, coupled with implicit conversions no one wants. The ones designed by me just work because commands and replies are delimited by ; or something else and \r and \n totally ignored, but I'm sure you would hate to use them having to type ; for "do it!" explicitly.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 05:09:05 pm by Siwastaja »

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #262 on: October 23, 2020, 05:02:39 pm »
E-mails from vendors stating that “your order has shipped”, when the shipping company’s tracking indicates that “the label has been created” or “cannot find number”.  In extreme examples, there were one week delays until the delivery company physically received the item.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #263 on: October 23, 2020, 05:12:16 pm »
E-mails from vendors stating that “your order has shipped”, when the shipping company’s tracking indicates that “the label has been created” or “cannot find number”.  In extreme examples, there were one week delays until the delivery company physically received the item.

Ebay's "The item is in transit"

>:(
iratus parum formica

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #264 on: October 23, 2020, 06:15:40 pm »
The ones designed by me just work because commands and replies are delimited by ; or something else and \r and \n totally ignored, but I'm sure you would hate to use them having to type ; for "do it!" explicitly.
Whenever I have to read line-based input (molecule data, for example), I use the equivalent of /[\t\v\f ]*(\r\n|\n\r|\r|\n)[\t\v\f ]*/ regular expression as the separator.  Essentially, I ignore leading and trailing whitespace on every line, and accept LF, CR, CR LF, and LF CR as the newline itself.  I learned to do this when I had users running Windows (98 era), Mac (PowerPC pre-OS X), and Linux (myself); it just cut down the issues altogether.  I also did Win-1252/Latin1/Latin9/MacRoman/UTF-8 pseudo-autodetection on web forms prior to browsers honoring accept-charset, because us Finns love our ä and €.

It is annoying to have to do this, but it was so long ago, and browsers have come so much further together (fewer browser-specific workarounds), that it isn't a peeve for me anymore.

Online Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
« Reply #265 on: October 25, 2020, 11:40:07 am »
My pet peeve: I simply cannot stand blue LEDs.

I run from appliances having those like the plague. Bad times for me in the 2000's..

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #266 on: October 25, 2020, 12:22:22 pm »
My pet peeve: I simply cannot stand blue LEDs.

I run from appliances having those like the plague. Bad times for me in the 2000's..

I just recently designed in a blue LED as power indicator.

For the first time in history, I'm really feeling the idea is getting so old it's almost retro now.

Really cool products did it in some early years of 2000's. Around 2005, it was in each and every product; couldn't stand it.

Now, nobody does it any more, we have got over it as a human society. Good riddance.

So, I figured, why not!? If nothing else, for trolling purposes.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain, Larryc001

Online Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
« Reply #267 on: October 25, 2020, 01:03:44 pm »
Now, nobody does it any more, we have got over it as a human society. Good riddance.
Can't agree. Most if not ALL appiances from china have those highly offending blue hi-power LEDs... and we're plagued with chinese stuff!

For some reason, hi-power blue LEDs make my eyes ache and it's not an exaggeration.

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #268 on: October 25, 2020, 01:32:00 pm »
Don't worry, they'll be gone soon from the products copying trends.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #269 on: October 25, 2020, 03:07:37 pm »

The problem is how bright the blue LEDs often are...  not so much the fact that they are blue!

The best devices have an ambient light sensor so they can adapt to the environment they are in...

Online Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
« Reply #270 on: October 25, 2020, 04:36:37 pm »

The problem is how bright the blue LEDs often are...  not so much the fact that they are blue!
Maybe, but my eyes don't ache with red, green, yellow, etc. hi-power LEDs. Just whith those horrible blue ones.

It may be just me but they bother me big time.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #271 on: October 25, 2020, 05:41:55 pm »

Maybe, but my eyes don't ache with red, green, yellow, etc. hi-power LEDs. Just whith those horrible blue ones.

I don't know why equipment for household use need high power LEDs at all...  I agree that blue is the worst, but who wants a 10 million lumen indicator light of any kind in a dark bedroom?

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #272 on: October 25, 2020, 05:48:18 pm »
The gamers do!  :box: Long live RGB lighting on every stupid gaming accessory, chairs included!
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #273 on: October 25, 2020, 06:20:51 pm »

Our eyes have difficulty focusing on the blue light, I don't remember the exact reason for this but I think it's something to do with the way the different wavelengths behave when passing through the lens. CRT projection TVs used to slightly defocus the blue gun, I believe for a similar reason.

For decades there were no blue LEDs at all, the closest you could get was a sickly green. Then when they first appeared they were exotic and very expensive, prices dropped a bit and I bought one that I think was $10 and used it as the power indicator in my PC. Then they got cheap and suddenly EVERYTHING was using them, always with the brightness dialed up to 11 and I quickly tired of them. For some reason the Chinese seem to feel that when it comes to indicator lights, brighter is better. Countless times I've had to stick bits of tape over blinding surface mount LEDs on various development boards or replace resistors with something nearly an order of magnitude higher to knock the brightness down to something I could actually look at. I've modified several pieces of consumer equipment by replacing blue LEDs with less irritating colors.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #274 on: October 25, 2020, 07:12:57 pm »
I use craft dot stickers over the blue LEDs on the front panels, a dollar  for a hundred or so. sometime it takes two stickers on top of each other to bring the insane brightness down. Works great.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 07:18:09 pm by Bud »
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Syntax Error

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf