Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 452607 times)

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #375 on: December 01, 2020, 01:10:24 pm »
I’ve had a bad week, we’ve also got the pandemic, I want to switch off from reality for a couple of hours, have a few beers and watch a comedy on the COMEDY channel and hopefully make myself laugh.
Exactly!  Heck, I've had to consciously stop looking at news, to stop getting infuriated at peoples (especially politicians – on all sides!) stupidity and sheer short-sighted self-destructivity.

When I need a bit of humor or cheering up, showing me the plight of others is not going to make me redouble my efforts: it just depresses me and makes me even more passive.

(And I'm much less forgiving than you are, being very critical about what proportion of donations goes to the actual cause, and what is spent for wages and e.g. three-star accommodation for the workers in the third world countries.. but that is a completely different thing.)

I have seen some not-advertisements on Youtube that work better than advertisements: it's the success stories, like rescued animals and so on.  I wonder why they can't make adverts like that, with a small text bar at the bottom basically saying that if you'd like to make more of this happen, here's a way.  Feels good for everyone.

(Well, I don't wonder, actually: most advertising people are crafty and sometimes very good at what they do, but hardly intelligent.  Often clever, but never wise.)

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
  • Renovating Old Test Equipment & Calibration ..
« Reply #376 on: December 01, 2020, 01:59:44 pm »
 All those adverts are not free .. They pay thousands for prime air time .
 I would guess the money spent on running these Adds don;t out way the money
received .  or maybe I am missing something .
  Maybe I am the donkey on the Listern Mouth wash Add  ;D :D
"   All Started With A BIG Bang!! .  .   & Magic Smoke  ".

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #377 on: December 01, 2020, 06:16:32 pm »
If they didn't make more profit from running the ads than they spend to run the ads (or at least think they did) then they wouldn't run the ads, simple as that.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #378 on: December 01, 2020, 06:41:56 pm »
Barclays.

Santander is no better, but Barclays have really got up my nose tonight.

Offline Sredni

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #379 on: December 02, 2020, 04:19:37 am »

I have seen some not-advertisements on Youtube that work better than advertisements: it's the success stories, like rescued animals and so on.

A word of caution on some (not all!) of those animal rescue channels: some are made by <insert preferred insult here> who put animals in danger or worse, harm them, to produce revenue from the views and likes. A notable offender was located in Vietnam and had/has several channels with the same poor animals that were either drugged, half drowned, tossed into pits with snakes or onto a dumpster fire to show the 'hero' saving them.
The more people reports these assholes to YT, the better. (unfortunately as soon as a channel is shut down, another one springs up with the same people behind).

Of course there are real animal care institutions and shelters that really do good. But the world is a wicked place.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 04:22:03 am by Sredni »
All instruments lie. Usually on the bench.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #380 on: December 02, 2020, 09:13:19 am »
I have seen some not-advertisements on Youtube that work better than advertisements: it's the success stories, like rescued animals and so on.

A word of caution on some (not all!) of those animal rescue channels: some are made by <insert preferred insult here> who put animals in danger or worse, harm them, to produce revenue from the views and likes. A notable offender was located in Vietnam and had/has several channels with the same poor animals that were either drugged, half drowned, tossed into pits with snakes or onto a dumpster fire to show the 'hero' saving them.
The more people reports these assholes to YT, the better. (unfortunately as soon as a channel is shut down, another one springs up with the same people behind).

Of course there are real animal care institutions and shelters that really do good. But the world is a wicked place.
Absolutely true!  I'm sorry I didn't mention that myself.

My typical morning starts with looking at I Can Has Cheesburger?, except that my ad blocker and browser settings block posts/images from Instagram etc.  Some of the Youtube channels I was referring to are Howl Of A Dog, Flatbush Cats, Vet Ranch, and Walter Santi (just taking care of a backyard cat colony).
Remembering there are good people and good things, no matter how small, being done all around the world, is IMO a good way to start ones mornings.

There are others, but me being so suspicious/paranoid, I prefer channels where the most cases are ordinary, i.e. just neglected and scared, as opposed to abused; and who emphasize the need of good vet care and neutering/spaying.  (The vet channels are the ones that have the real special/hard cases, and they may not be morning-coffee/breakfast viewing material.)

If a channel constantly focuses on abused animals "just found by accident", you can be pretty sure there is a reason for that, and it unfortunately usually is financial incentive, no matter where the channel is from.

I also like channels like the box cat Maru; that cat is amazingly calm even when washed or nails being clipped, constantly giving everyone the "I'm happy with you here" eye squints, even when his tail swishes around like he was really mad.
Right now he's dealing with a new kitten, Miri, in a delightfully playful and friendly manner, for a 13-year old male cat.  ^-^

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #381 on: December 02, 2020, 12:17:34 pm »
And then there's things like this:

RABBIT-Free Australia says the State Government owes Victorians an explanation after spending $70,000 on saving rabbits — despite Australia facing the worst rabbit plague since 1995.

This comes after an Olinda rabbit orphanage — which has divided readers after spending $1500 on fixing one rabbit’s teeth and another $1500 on a hernia operation - was given a $50,000 government grant to improve its shelter for sick and stray rabbits.

-> https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/east/orphaned-olinda-rabbits-chew-through-up-to-3000-in-dental-and-medical-bills-at-nokill-shelter/news-story/55a4f39728a32441a3d3c657bb87742a

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #382 on: December 02, 2020, 02:47:05 pm »

RABBIT-Free Australia says the State Government owes Victorians an explanation after spending $70,000 on saving rabbits — despite Australia facing the worst rabbit plague since 1995.

This comes after an Olinda rabbit orphanage — which has divided readers after spending $1500 on fixing one rabbit’s teeth and another $1500 on a hernia operation - was given a $50,000 government grant to improve its shelter for sick and stray rabbits.

-> https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/east/orphaned-olinda-rabbits-chew-through-up-to-3000-in-dental-and-medical-bills-at-nokill-shelter/news-story/55a4f39728a32441a3d3c657bb87742a

This kind of thing should be done by charities etc., it doesn't immediately seem logical to have government involved in financing it!

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #383 on: December 02, 2020, 02:59:27 pm »
A related pet peeve:

Old ladies who regularly feed "pigeons" in cities.

Even when told that only a small fraction of what they spread is eaten by pigeons, and the rest goes into helping the local disease-spreading rat population to grow, they insist they are just doing good by feeding the nice little pigeons, and rely on peoples' reluctance to get little old ladies fined for breaking the local ordnance.

Little old selfish ignorant fuckers, I say.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #384 on: December 02, 2020, 03:03:13 pm »
[...]

The pigeons like them, though!  :D

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
« Reply #385 on: December 02, 2020, 06:06:26 pm »
A related pet peeve:

Look on the bright side . one Day you will also be old , and doing stupid things is a privilege
     If any one asks .. ''What I can't remember doing that  ... where am I "  :-//   :-+

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #386 on: December 02, 2020, 09:00:56 pm »

This kind of thing should be done by charities etc., it doesn't immediately seem logical to have government involved in financing it!
Pets are one thing. Rabbits in the wild are quite another. They have absolutely no place in Australia. They are an introduced species and are an ecological and financial disaster. The harm they cause to other species of living things is huge. Why a government would finance the making of this problem worse is ridiculous.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbits_in_Australia

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #387 on: December 02, 2020, 09:20:06 pm »

Pets are one thing. Rabbits in the wild are quite another. They have absolutely no place in Australia. They are an introduced species and are an ecological and financial disaster. The harm they cause to other species of living things is huge. Why a government would finance the making of this problem worse is ridiculous.

Ah, I did not know that...  so Bugs Bunny not welcome down under, it seems.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #388 on: December 02, 2020, 09:30:15 pm »
I don't mean to imply that my wife, the gardener, is anti-rabbit, but she always roots for Elmer Fudd in the cartoons.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #389 on: December 02, 2020, 09:50:40 pm »
Confusing terms, made because the M-word is no longer acceptable, as the S-word isn't either, and who gives a shit about context because fake racism scores 110 out of 100.

Currently looking at a multi-drop protocol where the master once interrogated each slave. Now the client is the master, the slave is a server, and who knows what the function names or comments refer to any more.

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #390 on: December 02, 2020, 10:29:28 pm »
Entering a conversation with:
"I just got this xyz and I know nothing"

and last but not least ....
"I'm a new ham"

Or if you're a ham, you can combine the two:
"I just got this XYL and I know nothing"
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #391 on: December 02, 2020, 10:35:50 pm »
Entering a conversation with:
"I just got this xyz and I know nothing"

and last but not least ....
"I'm a new ham"

Or if you're a ham, you can combine the two:
"I just got this XYL and I know nothing"

There isn't much about hams that I've got to be peeved about. Why, just yesterday a ham showed up in my refrigerator with a tea towel wrapped around it.

iratus parum formica

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #392 on: December 02, 2020, 11:14:15 pm »
A related pet peeve:

Look on the bright side . one Day you will also be old , and doing stupid things is a privilege
     If any one asks .. ''What I can't remember doing that  ... where am I "  :-//   :-+

I had hoped it would work that way, & I would be well on my way to learning how to sit in front of the TV, drooling down my cardigan.

Sadly, I not only still remember dumb arse things I recently did, but also those I did half a century ago!
(there were many more back then, as although you don't get smarter with age, you do get more cunning!)

I also know where I am, & it's not in the middle of a lake from following spoken travel instructions given by an "App" on a smartphone.

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
« Reply #393 on: December 03, 2020, 11:25:32 am »
A related pet peeve:

I had hoped it would work that way, & I would be well on my way to learning how to sit in front of the TV, drooling down my cardigan.

Sadly, I not only still remember dumb arse things I recently did, but also those I did half a century ago!
(there were many more back then, as although you don't get smarter with age, you do get more cunning!)

I also know where I am, & it's not in the middle of a lake from following spoken travel instructions given by an "App" on a smartphone.
That's Good to Hear that . I only use the Dumb old thing when I get stop by the Police .
 for driving to fast .. I just say Sorry, I was in a Hurry before I will forget were I am Going  :-DD
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 11:29:36 am by Labrat101 »

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, HobGoblyn

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #394 on: December 04, 2020, 02:54:04 am »
Online documentation. You never know if it's going to be there next time you need it or, if it is, if it will say the same thing as last time you looked.

Similarly, open source projects that have great documentation but online only. Wouldn't hurt them to just zip up all the html pages for download but, no, to have it offline you need to install their favoured weirdo language plus all the compilations support tools plus some unknowable (until afterwards when it's too late) installation gotchas. Wouldn't be so bad, but still annoying, if they all used the same thing, but you'll likely end up with this system pollution just for this one project.

Guys, if zip is too hard for you, tgz is ok to use!

The following users thanked this post: Sredni

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #395 on: December 04, 2020, 04:26:19 am »
Online documentation. You never know if it's going to be there next time you need it or, if it is, if it will say the same thing as last time you looked.

Similarly, open source projects that have great documentation but online only. Wouldn't hurt them to just zip up all the html pages for download but, no, to have it offline you need to install their favoured weirdo language plus all the compilations support tools plus some unknowable (until afterwards when it's too late) installation gotchas. Wouldn't be so bad, but still annoying, if they all used the same thing, but you'll likely end up with this system pollution just for this one project.

Guys, if zip is too hard for you, tgz is ok to use!

What I've been doing fairly recently is in the browser, print the page, when the dialog comes up for the printer, choose print to PDF file. Save.

:-+
iratus parum formica

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #396 on: December 04, 2020, 05:04:35 am »
For a single page that's sometimes OK (except when they use web3.0 stuff so it never prints how it looks, if it even prints what you can see in the first place). But for a multi-page manual it's not going to work well, and you lose all the inter-page links, etc.

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #397 on: December 04, 2020, 05:15:15 am »
For a single page that's sometimes OK (except when they use web3.0 stuff so it never prints how it looks, if it even prints what you can see in the first place). But for a multi-page manual it's not going to work well, and you lose all the inter-page links, etc.

Lucky for me, after about the second page the ADHD kicks in and I've moved on to something else.

iratus parum formica

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #398 on: December 04, 2020, 05:54:53 am »
Yeah, that's why I like an offline copy so I can come back when I've got bored of whatever distracted me :)

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #399 on: December 04, 2020, 12:42:42 pm »

Ah, I did not know that...  so Bugs Bunny not welcome down under, it seems.

It's funny, that here in Australia, (where rabbits are classed as vermin), that the 'Do-Gooders' here tried to have "Easter-Bunny"
changed to an Aussie critter called a 'Bilby'. A 'few' companies initially made some Chocolate Confectioneries to that effect at
Easter time a few years back, but they were HOWLED DOWN and immediately disappeared there-after!!!   8)
Don't MUCK with what our children/parents/grandparents know & love!!!   :-DD
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf