Author Topic: Siglent SDG1000X Waveform Generators  (Read 85976 times)

Gertjan, Hexley (+ 1 Hidden) and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline e0ne199

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SDG1000X Waveform Generators
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2020, 04:43:19 am »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ads-firmware-file-format/msg1870091/#msg1870091
i have downloaded sdg1000x ads file but i am unable to flash it to my AWG...are there any additional steps to use it?

You mean this [telnet_SDG1000X.ADS]

This you can not flash at all. You do all like FW update with this file and SDG tell that it fails... do not care...do not shut off... just telnet and do what ever inside SDG system. If you do not know what to do there inside system and how... then please study first...yes it may take time to find all or if you find right place there can perhaps find all very detailed full instructions (it is like spring festival gift package what include all you need) what can use like blind (after you have telnet working) but be careful... it do not forgive any kind of typemistakes.   Do not try..oops...try...oops iteration... because this method may lead you to real problems and nearly like "destroy" your SDG

And seriously, do NOT downgrade to semidanger factory original or "eevblog version" FW ....01P22 even if you find it somewhere because if bad happen and it goes to boot problem... it do not support USB recovery method.

yes i did firmware update using that file several times and the answer from my SDG was that it failed to download that FW file ...so does that mean it was successfully downloaded into my AWG?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2020, 05:28:14 am »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ads-firmware-file-format/msg1870091/#msg1870091
i have downloaded sdg1000x ads file but i am unable to flash it to my AWG...are there any additional steps to use it?

This you can not flash at all. You do all like FW update with this file and SDG tell that it fails... do not care...do not shut off... just telnet and do what ever inside SDG system. If you do not know what to do there inside system and how... then please study first...yes it may take time to find all or if you find right place there can perhaps find all very detailed full instructions (it is like spring festival gift package what include all you need) what can use like blind (after you have telnet working) but be careful... it do not forgive any kind of typemistakes.   Do not try..oops...try...oops iteration... because this method may lead you to real problems and nearly like "destroy" your SDG

And seriously, do NOT downgrade to semidanger factory original or "eevblog version" FW ....01P22 even if you find it somewhere because if bad happen and it goes to boot problem... it do not support USB recovery method.

yes i did firmware update using that file several times and the answer from my SDG was that it failed to download that FW file ...so does that mean it was successfully downloaded into my AWG?

It is not real FW at all...   it just open port...(and it is open just only until you boot again SDG, so every time you boot you need do this FW trick... and you need boot during this work except if you do all mods at once, and remember to keep original files also there in system but renamed for possible later needs)  now do your homework and read. Read ALL what is included in this zip package I give link in previous message. I know you did not read and look at all there because you ask this. As long as you need ask some thing related to this, tell that you did not read or you did not understand what you read. Sorry this was necessary..  :-DD

Also here in forum is enough talk about what this ADS file do and how to use it...  I know you are hungry but I do not feed you... you need now do simple work.. read and if still do not know then read more. Golden rule, what ever you do... first brain work, then muscle work. There are no totally free lunches........

Btw, there in other thread

tv84 write (where you first get also this .ADS):

How to open a telnet session in a Siglent when the root password is unknown?

Use the following scripts, according to each equipment.

They provide a root session via port 10101.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 05:44:57 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline e0ne199

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2020, 05:44:48 am »

It is not real FW at all...   it just open port...(and it is open just only until you boot again SDG, so every time you boot you need do this FW trick... and you need boot during this work except if you do all mods at once, and remember to keep original files also there in system but renamed for possible later needs)  now do your homework and read. Read ALL what is included in this zip package I give link in previous message. Also here in forum is enough talk about what this ADS file do and how to use it...  I know you are hungry but I do not feed you... you need now do simple work.. read and if still do not know then read more. Golden rule, what ever you do... first brain work, then muscle work. There are no totally free lunches........

Btw, there in other thread

tv84 write (where you find also this .ADS):

How to open a telnet session in a Siglent when the root password is unknown?

Use the following scripts, according to each equipment.

They provide a root session via port 10101.

What you did not understand there.

lol okok i just didn't see the link you provided in your previous post, now i have found it, thx  ;D

Offline oewean

• Contributor
    • Adroit.no
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2020, 08:36:00 am »
New firmware released for Siglent SDG1000X Waveform generators
SDG1000X Firmware – 1.01.01.33R1B6 (Release Date 02.21.20 )
https://www.siglenteu.com/download/8977/
Norwegian distributor of test and measurement equipment....
Adroit.no

The following users thanked this post: tubularnut, klausES

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
  • restore Sony ES/Esprit era
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2020, 10:10:50 pm »
Thank you.

Although I would only have understood another firmware with such a small change if "this" is a real problem.  ::)
So at least I have never even noticed a problem with bouncing buttons when operating and I have not been able to read anything about it.  :-//
regards klaus. "Art is when you can't do it ... because if you can, it's not art"

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2020, 09:35:22 pm »
Anyone tried 1.01.01.33R1B6 on their SDG1032/62X ?

Any changes (apart from the explanation with the bouncing buttons) noticed ?

Telnet access (with the trick of the "wrong" firmware) is still possible?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 09:37:18 pm by klausES »
regards klaus. "Art is when you can't do it ... because if you can, it's not art"

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2020, 11:56:25 pm »
I tested the 1.01.01.33R1B6 on my SDG1062X in some points (certainly not in all).
So far I could not find any changes and, what is important, none with negative effects.

I have not yet tested an influence on Telnet access or whether the special temporary access firmware still works.

Offline 4x1md

• Regular Contributor
    • 4X1MD on Github
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2020, 12:59:04 pm »
Sometimes I need to document the tests I perform. If I use a signal generator, I want to be able to save screenshots which show its configuration. In Linux it is fairly simple and can be done LXI Tools (see the attached screenshot). What is the way to get the screenshots from the AWG in Windows? EasyWaveX doesn't have this option. Any other ideas?

And one more question on Siglent software. Do EasyWaveX and EasyScopeX work in Linux under WineHQ? Are there any Linux alternatives?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 02:06:19 pm by 4x1md »

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2020, 01:04:51 pm »
In Windows 10 use the Snipping Tool, it’s built in.

Offline 4x1md

• Regular Contributor
    • 4X1MD on Github
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2020, 01:54:03 pm »
In Windows 10 use the Snipping Tool, it’s built in.
The question was how to get a screenshot from the AWG.

Offline tubularnut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2020, 02:01:43 pm »
Apologies, perhaps I misunderstood, but you asked the question "What is the way to do it in Windows?"

I assumed you were remotely running the generator from a Windows PC, in which case using Snipping Tool you could take a screenshot.

Sorry I can't answer your question.

Offline spy

« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2020, 06:40:34 pm »
After updating to 1.01.01.33R1B5 my SDG1032X I found that it started to be very laggy with detecting and browsing USB stick. In fact it acts the same with 1.01.01.33R1. It needs quite a long time to recognize USB stick is plugged in and when it does sometimes there is a message the drive has been removed and than detected again. Browsing USB stick content is a pain, it takes a second or two until it scrolls up or down. Easiest way to replicate this issue is plug in the USB drive and get into firmware update menu.

Could someone confirm that issue with other SDG1000X device?

Offline 4x1md

• Regular Contributor
    • 4X1MD on Github
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2020, 06:51:08 pm »
Yes. At first I thought it was related to the USB stick file system. Now I think that it happens when the stick has many files on it. Did you try it with  an empty USB stick?

Offline spy

« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2020, 09:18:31 pm »
Yes I did. And in fact, when you have small number of files on USB stick (i.e only 3) browsing works OK. But when there are some directories with files inside just browsing the root folder without enterning any of them may cause umounting USB stick and pop up the message that device has been removed. It shouldn't look like that. User might not be aware of this issue and suspect USB stick is corrupted or not supported. On SDS1104X-E oscilloscope browsing works with no issues at all. I think it's a bug and should be investigated and fixed.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 09:20:09 pm by spy »

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2020, 11:43:15 pm »
Just tried it (SDG1062X with 1.01.01.33R1B5) with a fairly full stick (4 levels directory depth, more than 20 files within the directories)
and noticed no slowdown, no delays in browsing through the file system.

The stick is a short Sandisk USB 3.0 16 GB

Maybe it was just that they weren't exactly the same conditions as yours ?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 11:44:48 pm by klausES »

Offline spy

« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2020, 02:14:00 pm »
I agree, conditions are different. I tried to investigate deeper and reproduce this issue and found out that total numer of files on USB stick matters. In my opinion problem starts to be annoying when there are more than 300 files. Over a 1000 and there are bizarre USB stick disconnections, generator might may stop responding to pressing buttons, removing the stick bring generator back to life, it might happen that siggen stops recognizing particular USB stick it had problems with. In that case only power cycling can fix that. It seems directory structure doesn't make any difference.

And one more thing is truncating file names on content browsing (however we can see file sizes now, that's good), which has been introduced in fw 1.01.01.30.R1 I think. Take a look at the pictures - which one is B5 or B6 version ;). Yes, we can always rename files, but why did they do that funny thing with 3 dots? The screen might be divided different way.

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2020, 06:46:58 pm »
...In my opinion problem starts to be annoying when there are more than 300 files. Over a 1000 and there are bizarre USB stick disconnections...

He will want to read the FAT data from the stick and is probably "overwhelmed" with such a number of entries (computing power and possibly still the size of the ram) ?!?

If you know that, you should reserve your own stick for it.
It is a waveform generator and not an x core with an x GHz computer...  :-X

The thing with the "truncated" filenames I did not notice at all.  :o

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2020, 08:50:29 pm »
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 10:49:27 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mio83

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2020, 09:07:42 pm »
I confirm that my concerns were not well founded.
The THD was caused by the spectrum analyzer (set without using the proper attenuation).

My youtube channel is called "The RF noob" for a reason  :-DD

In any case I measured better THD values on my Siglent 1032X than those stated in the manual.
Also, the frequency counter works up to 250mhz (vs 200mhz in the manual).
I am very happy!

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2020, 09:38:33 pm »
Something has been badly done publicly, it is difficult to correct it afterwards.  ::)
If you absolutely have to make a video in yt, you should first be 100% sure of what you have done before publishing.

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2020, 12:32:02 pm »
Something has been badly done publicly, it is difficult to correct it afterwards.  ::)
If you absolutely have to make a video in yt, you should first be 100% sure of what you have done before publishing.

That should be true for politicians (...)  8)

But since all people make mistakes once in a while, it can be quite educative to see the mistake (published) and then as a follow-up the insight what led to the mistake and the remedy. Obviously, @mio83 still needs to practice some more with the settings of his SA (RBW to lower the noise floor and the like) but he'll get there I'm sure. Aren't we all "noobs" at a certain level?  ;)

Online Hexley

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2020, 09:29:14 pm »
Does anyone know of a programming guide for the SDG1000X series that is later than the version hosted at the NA and EU Siglent sites? That is version PG02-E04A, and it does not agree with the instrument's behavior in some cases.

While some discrepancies are minor1, others are not. Here, for example, is what the instrument reports when set up for PWM modulation; emphasis added:

C1:MDWV STATE,ON,PWM,MDSP,SINE,SRC,INT,FRQ,333HZ,DEVI,3.115081301e-06S,DDEVI,38.3155,CARR,WVTP,PULSE,FRQ,123000HZ,AMP,2.8288V,AMPVRMS,1.4144Vrms,OFST,0V,DUTY,61.5,RISE,1.68e-08S,FALL,1.68e-08S,DLY,0

The programming guide says that the PWM parameter "DEVI" specifies percentage. "<PWM dev> := Duty cycle deviation. The unit is "%". Value depends on the carrier duty cycle .", from page 23, Section 3.5. But as shown above the instrument actually dimensions that parameter in seconds, not as a percentage.

And the parameter "DDEVI" which follows is not mentioned in the documentation at all.

I'm wondering if there might be a corrected and updated version of the programming guide available somewhere.

- Hexley

1Note, for example, that the modulation type (PWM, in this example) follows the "STATE,ON," fields in the output string shown above, whereas the example in the manual shows it coming before the STATE fields. Or note that the carrier amplitude is reported in both V and Vrms, though the documentation doesn't include Vrms in the description of the CARR,AMP field, saying only "<amplitude>:= carrier amplitude. The unit is volts, peak to peak Vpp "". These are indeed minor issues, of course, but they illustrate a few of the differences between the manual and the actual instrument.

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2020, 09:53:09 pm »
Because e.g. PWM did not come later with new firmware but was always available, it should actually be documented from the start.
Have you already looked into the programming guide of the 2000X and 6000X series ?
Probably there is no more than for the 1000X...

Maybe Tautech has a good channel to Siglent for more detailed documentation ?

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2020, 10:02:45 pm »
Because e.g. PWM did not come later with new firmware but was always available, it should actually be documented from the start.
Have you already looked into the programming guide of the 2000X and 6000X series ?
Probably there is no more than for the 1000X...

Maybe Tautech has a good channel to Siglent for more detailed documentation ?
Updated documentation has always followed feature changes brought about by new FW unfortunately and it's something I've grumbled about to high levels not long ago.
Keep checking for manual updates is all I can suggest as they do come available once they are translated from the Chinese original versions.
I look here when trying to find new versions of anything:
https://int.siglent.com/download/documents/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Hexley

Online Hexley

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2020, 04:33:58 pm »
Does anyone know of a programming guide for the SDG1000X series that is later than the version hosted at the NA and EU Siglent sites? That is version PG02-E04A, and it does not agree with the instrument's behavior in some cases.

Any update on this? I checked https://int.siglent.com/download/documents/ to see if there was a new programming manual for the SDG100X series, but it still shows version PG02-E04A. Just thought I'd ping and see if there was anything new...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf