Author Topic: Keysight's new 34465A (6.5 digit) and 34470A (7.5 digit) bench multimeters  (Read 239245 times)

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
I'd like to forward the information, that FW 2.14 should be posted and available by tomorrow, May 5th. This includes fix of continuity tone on the 34460A/34461A, and accuracy issues following ACAL.

Frank

Offline 6thimage

• Regular Contributor
That's good news - I don't suppose you know why there has been a hold up with it?

Offline bson

• Supporter
After 3 weeks they finally approved my free 2M memory upgrade.  :)
They email me the software entitlement certificate. I had to login and download the lic file, copy it over to an USB stick and install it on the meter.
When did you buy your instrument?

I submitted my purchase of the 34465A in early 2015 (time to get it calibrated) but never heard anything back when I submitted it for the memory upgrade - it was worth checking at least.  I assume it didn't qualify.  Looking to buy the fast digitizer upgrade and it would be a lot more useful with the memory upgrade also, but I don't think I'd buy both.  (Ill just make do with the Keithley 2001 in that case, even though it's a bit more limited.)  Also asked for a quote for the digitizer upgrade (3446DIG) to see if they'll include the memory upgrade with it...

Offline Faith

• Supporter
Hello everyone! Was about to pick up the 34465A (I had contacted Keysight in May for the pricing of the options) and just a week later (on the 1st of June) price increase >,<!

Seems that all Keysight products have increased in price (including licenses) by around 5-10% from 2016-06-01 onwards. Eep. Anyone else notice this? Wondering if this is an international thing.

Also, how many of you purchase your units with the five year warranty option? I know it's not that much, but considering how reliable HP/Agilent DMM's have been is it safe to just stick with the standard three year warranty?
<3 ~Faith~

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
Hi Faith,

Sorry about the timing of the price change. We generally evaluate pricing twice per year, 5-10% is on the higher end of the price changes, usually they are closer to 2%. I can't & won't discuss specifics of pricing or specific deals, etc., however if you received a quote there should be a "valild until" date or something similar that locks in the price.

With regards to warranty, we have pretty high standards for hardware quality and performance, but with all electronics there's always a chance something breaks down. If you can afford the warranty, it's always recommended. 3 years is a pretty good length of time, though. I'd also be interested how many forum members get the extended warranties.

Offline Faith

• Supporter
Hello Daniel. Thank you so much for your reply! No problem on the increase, happens!

Just double checked, actual increase was around 5%. Certainly not the end of the world yet; but does add up when taking the options list into consideration.

Anyone any idea if the free memory upgrade will come from the factory with new units or will I still have to register it once my DMM arrives?
<3 ~Faith~

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
Anyone any idea if the free memory upgrade will come from the factory with new units or will I still have to register it once my DMM arrives?

I honestly have no idea, I don't work directly with that team. However, if it was me I'd probably make you register! >:D

Offline Faith

• Supporter
Hello Daniel. Yep, I just checked. They cannot do it at the factory, how annoying!

I've been thinking about the DIG option a fair bit. Since I do not have a scope in my mini lab at home (as I wish to maintain a bare minimum there in terms of equipment); how competent would the DIG option on the 34465A be as a very basic scope? At 50,000 Rdg/Sec I imagine it should be a good tool when designing my own basic power supplies to look at the stability of the output DC current and also to gain more insight into what's going on with IC's I work with.

Any opinions on this?
<3 ~Faith~

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
It's no big problem to install these options (DIG and MEM).

The DIG option is really a good tool, especially, as this lets you digitize DC current also (beneath DCV), to examine power supplies and current consumption.
So it suits well your application.

Of course, it won't replace a scope, due to the limited sampling rate.

As the MEM option is included for free, it makes additional sense, as w/o that, you very soon run into practical  limitations.

Frank
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 12:21:05 pm by Dr. Frank »

Offline bson

• Supporter
Also asked for a quote for the digitizer upgrade (3446DIG) to see if they'll include the memory upgrade with it...
Well, that didn't work at all - a reseller responded to this with a quote for a 34465A, not the option I actually asked for, or any answer to if they can include the memory upgrade with it.  :--

Offline Faith

• Supporter
Thank you for your reply Dr. Frank :D

Definitely it will not replace a scope but it should certainly give some very intuitive readings nonetheless.

I agree that without the MEM option I will reach its default limit super fast, that's why I was hoping that Keysight would do a DIG+MEM install at factory.

Replying to bson: I had the same concern (wanting DIG+MEM) and I asked my reseller to speak with Keysight and he did confirm with me that Keysight will not install MEM for you at the factory even if you buy DIG.

I hope that Keysight will not take too long to supply the MEM key then :p
<3 ~Faith~

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
I hope that Keysight will not take too long to supply the MEM key then :p
In Germany, you get the MEM key overnight from a Keysight distributor by email and the real paper certificate is mailed in an envelope.
So, you should have it really fast.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
I got the Mem upgrade free with the promo, took a while to come through.  Recently I needed to add the Digi option in a hurry, so just ordered it from RS.  Turned up next day and was on the DMM about 15 mins after delivery.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
I just joined the club with a brand new 34465A via Microlease. Good price - no extra's included - but plan for the DIG in the future after getting (hopefully) my Mem upgrade. But Microlease are quite aggressive - I think I got about 15 call's before order was in place. But did not even get shipping notification *G* when it shipped so a bit of a surprise when it landed today.

The 34465 replaces/complements my old 8846A that is in for repair - but could not wait for it to be returned.

But it is straight out of the factory - calibration date was 28/05... Firmware installed is 2.14.

@Daniel - when you register for the Mem upgrade - why does it not register the instrument in "my assets" - there should be a check box saying "register in your assets" so I don't have to type serial number again :)

Now I'm going to try Bench Vue 3 as last time I tried it was bloody slow an inefficient (v1.6 I think it was - the EU version....)

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
My Mem upgrade took 4 and a bit working days to get processed. Now I just need to find a good offer on the DIG.. :)

Offline Faith

• Supporter
Re: Keysight's new 34465A (6.5 digit) and 34470A (7.5 digit) bench multimeters
« Reply #415 on: August 09, 2016, 05:30:01 am »
Finally got my 34465A a week ago but I have been a little busy so I registered for the MEM upgrade first before setting everything up, but that only took three days for Keysight to process, haha. Registration was quick and easy but of course once you get the certificate you still need to create an account to tie the license to your DMM.

As said I'm a little tight on space so I made this custom shelf to fit the DMM. Only 2mm of clearance on each side so it's a perfect fit without removing the handle.

I keep all of my probes plus my handheld DMM underneath, so it's easy to pull everything out at any time when I need to take measurements. Happy!

<3 ~Faith~

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #416 on: August 09, 2016, 07:04:23 am »
That is a vert nice made cabinet.  :-+ (I have 2 right hands but not when it comes to woodworking and painting)

I really like your colored tools. Never seen that before, that makes it a lot easier to pick the right one if they are spread all over your bench.

I bought a new Keithley 2000 a few years ago, great meter for my job. I bought it back then pure on the specs.It fitted the most to my wishes that did not include the looks.
But if I had to buy it now it would be hard to choose the same way. I have not looked at the specs but that display is great. Often you need to look where your probes are and then take a short look at the meter and that display makes it much easier (and safer) to do.

I have an Agilent handmultimeter for 6 years or so, still very happy with it, but not with the probes, they have become sticky and are falling apart, also had to replace the common bus in the meter itself. But from a meterologic point of view it is great, it is stil spot on (and that is very important for me because I only repair test and calibration gear for a living)
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #417 on: August 09, 2016, 08:24:05 am »
As said I'm a little tight on space so I made this custom shelf to fit the DMM. Only 2mm of clearance on each side so it's a perfect fit without removing the handle.

Nice wood working skills.
I would recommend leaving the rear of the cabinet open to improve airflow.

Offline Faith

• Supporter
« Reply #418 on: August 13, 2016, 05:35:57 am »
PA4TIM: Haha, I had a friend help me with this, otherwise on my own I would never get anything done because I am very OCD about my cabinet measurements.

What I like most about my coloured tools is that for components which I have to work on frequently I quickly start to remember which colours I need for when since it's easier for me to remember colours than size numbers.

The display on these DMM's are definitely fantastic. Especially when using the black background, it is very easy to pick up on measurement values extremely quickly, even with stats and et cetera enabled.

voltsandjolts: Yep, the back is completely open for where the DMM is. Only the top and bottom is closed so that my probes and tools don't fall off!

For everyone else: I have noticed a small problem with the Trend Chart (firmware A.02.14).

When I select a Time Window of 5 Minutes and then switch back to 1 Minute to acquire a more detailed view of recent events the values from 5 Minutes will disappear when I switch back to it. Really?

But if I select "All" instead of "Recent" then I can see a full view since the beginning of when I began taking measurements. But of course this doesn't help when I have several hours of measurements already (the view becomes too compact).

Is there any way to prevent the view of various Time Window ranges from disappearing when moving up and down between the ranges?

Thank you for any help anyone is able to provide!
<3 ~Faith~

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #419 on: August 13, 2016, 07:57:57 am »
For everyone else: I have noticed a small problem with the Trend Chart (firmware A.02.14).

When I select a Time Window of 5 Minutes and then switch back to 1 Minute to acquire a more detailed view of recent events the values from 5 Minutes will disappear when I switch back to it. Really?

But if I select "All" instead of "Recent" then I can see a full view since the beginning of when I began taking measurements. But of course this doesn't help when I have several hours of measurements already (the view becomes too compact).

Is there any way to prevent the view of various Time Window ranges from disappearing when moving up and down between the ranges?

Thank you for any help anyone is able to provide!

That behaviour is correct.
The Trend Chart is a different display mode only, besides Number and Bar Graph and Histogram.
It is not intended to do Data Logging. Therefore, data is cleared, when you change the window.
This mode alone also does not store data in memory, for later access.

If you want to log data, you need to chose Aquire => Datalog, instead of Continuos, and then you have  the feature of zooming into the stored data, as now Zoom and Pan show up in the Display - Trend menu.

Datalog usually stores your data into memory of the 34465A, or better, into a file,  so you can later access them, which is not possible, when you only use Continuous mode.

Frank
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 08:09:22 am by Dr. Frank »

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #420 on: August 13, 2016, 07:09:41 pm »
Very nice cabinet. Its now on my to-do list.
One of these fine days.....

Yours Messtechniker
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #421 on: August 13, 2016, 07:19:27 pm »
I am not that impressed, he is not thinking ahead. Next year he want some other instrument and there is no place to put it.
The instrument has to be on top, then you can stack them:

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #422 on: August 14, 2016, 01:23:42 am »
I am not that impressed, he is not thinking ahead. Next year he want some other instrument and there is no place to put it.
The instrument has to be on top, then you can stack them:

Just take the bumpers and handles off.

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #423 on: August 14, 2016, 06:10:14 am »
Just take the bumpers and handles off.

Why, the stack is stable and I need to keep the bumpers and handles somewhere, the best place is on the instruments.
On some of the instruments the feets are part of the bumpers, if I removed the bumpers I would probably cover some ventilation holes.

Offline carl_lab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #424 on: August 17, 2016, 08:36:21 pm »
Today my Keysight 34470A arrived...

Same "axis numbering" problem on my brandnew 34465A:

2.5 , 2.5000 , 2.5001  - WTF?  :palm:

Isn't there enough place for:
2.49995 , 2.50000 , 2.50005

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.
  :-DD

I hope they will correct the issue by firmware update...

Are both of the 61As scaled in the same way? It looks like the top 61A hasn't been auto-scaled.
Top one was auto-scaled
It is confirmed by the upper, lower values on the scale to the left
Upper (max) value: 5.000 5 V
Lower (min) value: 5.000 4 V
On the old firmware there was no more resolution in between
Adding the extra digit added the extra resolution on the vertical axis.

The new FW v2.08 shows now on the left of the trend chart:
Upper (max) value: 5.000 48 V
Lower (min) value: 5.000 47 V

This is really great and something I did not expect from a firmware upgrade

It seems like we are now having the following resolution on the trend chart:

34461A, FW1.10 +/- 100 uV Resolution
34461A, FW2.08 +/- 10 uV Resolution
34470A, FW2.08 +/- 1 uV Resolution

What about the recent 34465A?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 09:05:04 pm by carl_lab »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo