Author Topic: The Art Of Electronics 3rd Edition  (Read 197972 times)

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
Re: The Art Of Electronics 3rd Edition
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2015, 09:29:55 am »
I think that I understand it now, thanks wilfred..... :-+

All good GK..... :-+

Muttley
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 09:52:02 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2015, 09:45:35 am »
I think that I understand it now, thanks wilfred..... :-+

Oh, very clever. You're lucky I'm not a Freudian.
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2015, 09:54:04 am »
Well, if you want to see what children were encouraged to do in 1934, you could have a look at "The Boy Electrician".

Note particularly the last parts of chapter 13 (XIII :) ). It did include the warning that you should stop if your skin became red.

LOL.
About four decades later Australian entrepreneur Dick Smith was selling this. The companion 150-in-1 kit was a hand-me-down that I bought off a school mate.

Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2015, 10:34:20 am »
Stupid question, if I will have the 3rd does it make sense to buy the 2nd too?

No. The 3rd will be an updated/revised version of the second. A lot of the content will be the same.

Win Hill advises otherwise, and recommends people keep their 2nd edition.

I wasn't suggesting you throw your 2nd edition away if you have one....

Offline fire219

« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2015, 04:01:05 pm »

Imagine that same picture with a Fluke 27 photoshopped in!   :-DD

(No, I can't be bothered to do it...)

You finally gave me an excuse to stop being a lurker and actually sign up.

I was too lazy to redo the whole animation, but here's a still frame at least.

Offline Mrdjdean

« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2015, 05:47:01 pm »
Ive had mine on pre order for sometime.  They emailed me last week to say the release date has been brought forward a month here in the uk.  should have it next week! :)  Some pretty good reviews on it so far from other parts of the world

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2015, 07:02:59 pm »
Well, if you want to see what children were encouraged to do in 1934, you could have a look at "The Boy Electrician".

Note particularly the last parts of chapter 13 (XIII :) ). It did include the warning that you should stop if your skin became red.
That's one of my all-time favorite books I found in my grade school's library.  I was somewhere around 11 or 12 at the time. (And, no, it wasn't a new copy...)

Runner-up to the x-ray experiment was this fine electrolytic rectifier for AC mains brought out to binding posts.  Not exactly UL listed.

I think the full-wave version would have ended up cooking itself even with no load connected.

Offline Wmacky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2015, 08:01:28 pm »
Meh  -

My favorite electronics book.  (Really my favorite book altogether!)

Inside the vacuum tube by John Rider. I'm lucky enough to have an original copy With the included 3D glasses to view the illustrations!
It starts at the beginning withe what is a electron, and ends with designing tube audio amplifiers. What a journey!

Read it for yourself!

https://archive.org/details/InsideTheVacuumTube

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 08:14:55 pm by Wmacky »

Offline michael.hill

• Supporter
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2015, 10:48:16 pm »

It starts at the beginning withe what is a electron, and ends with designing tube audio amplifiers. What a journey!

Spoilers much? :-P

Offline notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2015, 12:14:11 am »
Being 2015 I wasn't  sure what was coming first, the flux capacitor or the art of electronics 3rd edition, I sort of had my heart set on the flux capacitor.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2015, 12:51:03 am »
Being 2015 I wasn't  sure what was coming first, the flux capacitor or the art of electronics 3rd edition, I sort of had my heart set on the flux capacitor.
But the flux capacitor has been around for thirty years  :-//

Here are some for sale now:
The original version.
A newer model which works with non-DeLoreans.

Frankly I prefer the AoE - it's a lot more affordable and doesn't require a supply of plutonium.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2015, 07:01:41 am »

That's one of my all-time favorite books I found in my grade school's library.  I was somewhere around 11 or 12 at the time. (And, no, it wasn't a new copy...)

Runner-up to the x-ray experiment was this fine electrolytic rectifier for AC mains brought out to binding posts.  Not exactly UL listed.

I think the full-wave version would have ended up cooking itself even with no load connected.

That picture in the Boy Electricians book is shocking. Full wave rectification of 120 VAC = 170 VDC.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2015, 07:36:43 am »
My introduction to electronics was a little bit safer (The Pegasus Book of Radio Experiments) but I do miss the days when books published experiments like the one above. Apart from the excitement of seeing Darwin in action it was an excellent way to teach kids the dangers of electricity in a practical way rather than saying 'don't do that' and hoping for the best.

As a young child I remember when a cover fell off a light switch at school and the teachers kept everyone two or three meters away until the caretaker could replace it. That evening I took the cover off the light switch in my bedroom just to see what was inside and I'm still here.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2015, 09:13:57 am »

I have a different (UK/240V) version, which doesn't quite have that. It does, however, tell you how to charge accumulators:
  • "The simplest means of charging accumulators is by means of direct current mains supply. First of all ascertain the polarity of the mains. ... This may be done by inserting both leads in a glass of water in which a little salt has been dissolved. ... The lead around which most bubbles form is the negative"
Disappointingly it then goes on to describe a chemical rectifier, but advises you to buy a cheap one.

It also discusses mercury arc rectifiers, which I saw at the bottom of a stairwell powering my Student's Union movie projector. The glass envelope wan't well protected from falling debris, it glowed a rather pretty blue, and I imagine the UV helped reduce acne.

But the spirit of adventure hasn't been completely overwhelmed. The age at which you fly an aircraft on your own has been reduced from 16 to 14 - and the people that have taken advantage of that are mature beyond their years.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2015, 12:33:08 am »
For Aussies...

http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/Art-of-Electronics-Paul-Horowitz-Winfield-Hill/9780521809269

Sounds too cheap and Fishpond have bad reviews. Hmm.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2015, 08:52:07 am »
For Aussies...

http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/Art-of-Electronics-Paul-Horowitz-Winfield-Hill/9780521809269

$99 is not massively cheaper than some other vendors shipping from the UK. The Book Depository have it for $104.98, for example.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2015, 12:53:28 pm »
For Aussies...

$99 is not massively cheaper than some other vendors shipping from the UK. The Book Depository have it for $104.98, for example.

Thanks for the link. I just bought it from the Book Depository. The bloke next door told me tonight he buys stuff from them and has never had problems. AUD $124 delivered to my door. Oddly, the book is not released until April 7, and yet they have it in stock and will ship to Oz immediately.

I wonder how long before some shameless crook in China starts printing pirated copies. It would be shameful on any westerner who bought a pirated copy or downloaded it. Maybe I would not feel the same about Justin Bieber's "intellectual" property, but these authors deserve all the royalties that come forth from real intellectual porperty.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2015, 01:33:18 pm »
For Aussies...

Thanks for the link. I just bought it from the Book Depository. The bloke next door told me tonight he buys stuff from them and has never had problems. AUD $124 delivered to my door. Oddly, the book is not released until April 7, and yet they have it in stock and will ship to Oz immediately.
That's odd - the price in AUD seems to vary by the hour. It was $104.98 with free delivery worldwide when I posted the link, you have apparently been charged $124, and it is currently showing $113.91.

The publication date given by Amazon UK is today - March 30th, and the Book Depository is owned by Amazon.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2015, 01:59:56 pm »

Post the coupon, a free........what the hell is a house organ ?

Muttley
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 02:06:54 pm by Muttley Snickers »

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2015, 02:16:50 pm »

Post the coupon, a free........what the hell is a house organ ?

Muttley
There's a great example in Maya Jane Coles's classic house track "What They Say".

No?

Maybe the Wikipedia version, then.

Offline TheWelly888

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2015, 08:12:22 pm »
My copy has arrived from Waterstones today! It's heavy, and at least 1100 pages long! The hardback cover is gold rather than silver.

If you opened the book at the start, it felt exactly the same as the 2nd edition but having just spent the best part of 2 hours looking through the new book, there is substantial updating of the content especially the microcontrollers section (which did not exist in the 2nd edition!)

I suspect Our Dave have had an influence on the book, I've noticed the word "puppy" used a few times!
You can do anything with the right attitude and a hammer.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #121 on: March 31, 2015, 08:55:40 am »
FYI, Amazon has a reprint of The Boy Electrician! http://www.amazon.com/The-Boy-Electrician-Alfred-Morgan/dp/1626549818

Sent from my Tablet
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: March 31, 2015, 12:24:48 pm »
Ordered at amazon.de yesterday, estimated delivery April 15
This morning an email from them, new availability date April 4
Half an hour ago another email: Shipped!

Interesting...

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123 on: March 31, 2015, 12:37:09 pm »
Shipped!
Lucky bar steward.

Amazon.co.uk has been "Preparing for Dispatch" since yesterday morning - and they've taken my money  >:(

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2015, 01:14:39 pm »
FYI, Amazon has a reprint of The Boy Electrician! http://www.amazon.com/The-Boy-Electrician-Alfred-Morgan/dp/1626549818
The comments are pretty consistent with my experience.  Mine is the seventh printing in 1957.  I never noticed it was written in 1913 - over 100 years old now.

There are some scanned copies on the net including google books.  Here's one:

http://danielwebb.us/projects/pd_tech_books/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf