Author Topic: The Art Of Electronics 3rd Edition  (Read 197922 times)

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
Re: The Art Of Electronics 3rd Edition
« Reply #250 on: June 29, 2015, 08:03:27 pm »
Sorry, but that's entirely up to how the energy is generated. You can do it like tree's and get your energy from the sun. :scared:

Carbon can be stored in almost infinite forms. And of course cutting threes, making them into paper, binding and inking those papers doesn't cost energy. Even if you couldn't store a million books on one ebook reader rather than having the process of making a book duplicated for every single book owner.

There's no way around it: people have legitimate use cases for an AoE ebook and it should be thing. Saying I prefer a real book is like saying, I prefer walking and therefore stuff shouln't be delivered by trucks.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 08:12:10 pm by con-f-use »

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #251 on: July 07, 2015, 12:56:52 pm »
I've just been refused access to http://artofelectronics.net by my ISP on the grounds that it contains malware. Anyone else had this issue? Report is here:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/db04d659d057cb64cd7e7c2c588785b8efcc9a84b8ed1aef1e6204db04355f48/analysis/1436259685/

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #252 on: July 07, 2015, 01:25:32 pm »
Working fine here. Virus and malware scanner doesn't complain.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #253 on: July 07, 2015, 02:33:36 pm »
No problem here either, and also not from http://urlquery.net/report.php?id=1436279553984
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #254 on: July 10, 2015, 09:55:01 am »
ISP has now given the site an all clear. A false alarm...

Online jipihorn

• Contributor
    • jipihorn blog
« Reply #255 on: July 11, 2015, 07:40:54 am »
Reading Flim-Flam from James Randi, I came across this :

Another test consisted of hanging ordinary latchkeys from electrical leads terminating in embedded strain gauges to test for bending by paranormal influence. Inglis said these tests were conducted in the homes of the psychics, at their leisure. Children were the subjects, "tests were deliberately kept as informal as possible... and the subject was encouraged to do his own thing (making aircraft models) to pass the time."
Rather detailed accounts given by Hasted of the conditions of some experiments led me to suspect that the sharp "spike" tracings he got on his chart recorder connected to the electronic circuitry might be due to static electricity, not paranormal influence. He said the subject squirmed about and held his hands out to the dangling key occasionally, whereupon a result was recorded on the chart. But the very sharp spike is typical of a static discharge registration, so I sent off the circuit diagrams, which were kindly supplied by Professor Hasted, to Dr. Paul Horowitz of Harvard University for comments.
Dr. Horowitz replied, "You are, of course, right in your interpretation... If that 'experiment' convinces anyone of anything, then they typify the utmost in gullibility. What's happening is that common-mode [extraneous] signals, not being rejected owing to a disastrous choice of amplifier configurations, are driving the subsequent amplifiers into nonlinearities. This is a classic problem with strain gauges, since the genuine (normal-mode) signal is typically very small... [It would be] better for Hasted to do the thing right, which means, among other things, to use one of those channels to display the common-mode signal, while the rest are busy displaying normal-mode signals. The absence of such a channel shows that he hasn't been careful, and effectively nullifies any result he claims.... All data that emerge from that apparatus are worthless, and will continue to be, until the amplifiers are replaced with [proper] instrumentation amplifiers with satisfactory, common-mode rejection. [Hasted] has plenty to do before anyone even mildly critical will believe him.".
Dr. Horowitz has just completed a book on electronics. The book discusses the considerable problems inherent in the use of strain gauges, and the specific sensitivity of the Hasted circuit to extraneous signals—such as static charges generated by squirming little boys—is documented.

I propose that the "Horowitz" become the official badassery unit, named Ho. It is like the Farad, which is a huge unit on itself, so regular people would be in the range of uHo, nHo, pHo, more rarely mHo. fHo is more adapted for some specific environments (ministries, top management...)

But it wouldn't be fair to ignore the "Hill" unit, the Hi. The Ho is to the Siemens what the Hi is to the mho (don't get mho and mHo mixed up !), i.e pretty much the same thing.

They deserve this.

Jérôme.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #256 on: July 11, 2015, 12:51:34 pm »
Never knew there was a Randi Ho partnership ;)

(...and thanks for reminding me I should get some James Randi reading material. I'm surprised I don't have any as I'm a fan!)

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #257 on: July 20, 2015, 03:15:18 am »
I love my copy of AoE, but like others on this thread, I strongly think that this book would work much better if it was a PDF or an eBook.

For one thing, there are more than a hundred figures in every chapter, and every page refers the reader to figures, tables, or sections that are on a different page, often a different chapter. This becomes even more apparent in the Chapter Review sections, where it seems that every other sentence refers you to a figure elsewhere.

With a paper copy it's nearly impossible to take advantage of this extensive cross referencing without wearing your fingers to the bone and ripping a few pages in the process. It would be wonderful to just click on a link to make these figures, tables, or sections instantly and magically available!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 06:19:28 am by TomC »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #258 on: July 20, 2015, 06:24:08 am »
With a paper copy it's nearly impossible to take advantage of this extensive cross referencing without wearing your fingers to the bone and ripping a few pages in the process. It would be wonderful to just click on a link to make these figures, tables, or sections instantly and magically available!
The trick is to get two (or three) copies and use them in parallel.

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #259 on: July 20, 2015, 04:55:34 pm »
The trick is to get two (or three) copies and use them in parallel.

...and reading it while being in your boat, right? ;)

Offline Vrizla

« Reply #260 on: July 30, 2015, 11:44:19 pm »
After saving my pennies my copy arrived today from WebStore2012 ordered from Amazon.  I didn't pay for a shipping upgrade, they could have sent int in a box vie media mail for about $2; yet they chose to shove it in a USPS Flat rate Envelope.  Not the padded one that about 25 cents extra, the half a mm envelope thats just about only good for mailing a few sheets of paper.  I use to sell on Amazon and I have sold quite a few items on ebay; quality, service, fast shipping and my reputation has always been paramount,  Large sellers just don't care nor does Amazon or ebay; Amazon is going to make twice the  money selling it twice as used, since their is not a significant difference in price. 

The completely unexceptionable damage aside, I must say I am a little disappointed with the quality of paper and ink.  No there aren't color photographs, but for the price I expected paper that wasn't see through in low light.  I documented WebStore2012's complete negligence reported it to them and just wanted to  quickly pass on the info and get down to reading. 

I don't even want to think about the negative aspects of the entire situation anymore today.  Tomorrow I will open the almost certain automated reply from webcrap2012; bypass them and go straight to Amazon. 

Unfortunately in 2015 the cost of everything is up, I don't know the ins and outs of the publishing deal so I'm not going to speculate,  I'm just going to read my tattered copy and insist a new one is sent before I return the old.  I'm not accepting anything else and I shall remain happy as a clam just having a physical copy, 

steverino

« Reply #261 on: July 31, 2015, 05:44:22 pm »
I love my copy of AoE, but like others on this thread, I strongly think that this book would work much better if it was a PDF or an eBook.

For one thing, there are more than a hundred figures in every chapter, and every page refers the reader to figures, tables, or sections that are on a different page, often a different chapter. This becomes even more apparent in the Chapter Review sections, where it seems that every other sentence refers you to a figure elsewhere.

The fact is that the book either is now or will be in pdf format in the near future.  It won't be legal but it will be available.  I have AoE II in pdf format and hardcover.  AoE III in hardcover only. Since technical bookstores have gone by the wayside, I always look for a pdf version to browse before I purchase.  Also, for a purchased book, a pdf is a great addition for searching or cafe browsing.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #262 on: August 01, 2015, 04:31:34 am »
The PDF version of AoE 2 out in the wild is absolute rubbish though - it's been subject to really crap OCR. There is a much more verbatim copy out there too, but it's in some funny format, very large, and not compatible with bookreaders like Nook and Kindle.

steverino

« Reply #263 on: August 01, 2015, 06:19:26 am »
The PDF version of AoE 2 out in the wild is absolute rubbish though - it's been subject to really crap OCR. There is a much more verbatim copy out there too, but it's in some funny format, very large, and not compatible with bookreaders like Nook and Kindle.
I just checked, and yeah, its not the best but not terrible (reading wise).  I ran my own OCR (I have an version of Adobe Acrobat PRO) and it searches fine.

Offline Vrizla

« Reply #264 on: August 01, 2015, 12:26:43 pm »

I have two of the 2nd, both in PDF format; one of them is missing the first chapter.  I believe the one that is missing the first chapter is of better reading quality; I can't say for sure as they are tucked away.  Since I have legitimately purchased the 3rd and 2nd editions, I feel I have paid my fair share; others are free to disagree.

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #265 on: September 09, 2015, 10:56:53 pm »
Although that's entirely besides the point - creators of work should be compensated for said work, regardless of what kind of work it is.  There is more than one way of compensating someone though, but it has to be something they agree to.
What's frustrating is that we are stuck with a legal system that might have made sense 200 years ago but today when it's possible to create perfect copies and distribute them around the world for more or less free, copyright just seems incredibly stupid. But we are stuck with it (and dead tree books) because there are too many who has to much invested in it and who are making to much money from it for it to change. Question is how long the Luddites of our time will be able to halt technological progress.

At least  we are stuck with a legal system that still makes sense since 200 years ago especially when  today it's possible to create perfect copies and distribute them around the world for more or less free, copyright is the last legast stop to having ones work distributed for free
But we have stuck with it (and dead tree books) because there are too many people that still recognize the value and are able to make money from it.
Question is how long before all this technological progress  puts a stop to authors writing books.

Gotta love technology....most of the work was already done ...
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #266 on: September 10, 2015, 07:13:57 am »
Question is how long the Luddites of our time will be able to halt technological progress.
Well, the best model so far is something like Kickstarter. You want another book by G.R.R. Martin? Then fund him for a year (or in his case ten) and he will make it. After another year where all the backers can read and feel superior for getting it early, it is released for free to the general public.

People will never stop being creative anyway. With automatisation replacing much of human labour and things like birth control, we simply have the opportunity to give every human being on this planet a simple life with four walls, running water, warmth, food, health care and entertainment to not worry. I think every one deserves that. Of course we also give dictators the opportunity to control large amounts of people fairly easily without the possibility of an uprising. it's not that there are no solutions, just that people have not caught up and made up their minds on what they want.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 07:20:40 am by con-f-use »

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #267 on: September 10, 2015, 12:59:50 pm »
Well, worked my way tru the book, and damd, still dont know who the murderer was!

It was over-voltage and heat was his accomplice.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #268 on: September 10, 2015, 04:13:16 pm »
Just one more thing Dr Short-circuit...

Offline Kohanbash

• Regular Contributor
    • Robots for Roboticists
« Reply #269 on: September 13, 2015, 03:33:39 pm »
I must say I am a little disappointed with the quality of paper and ink.  No there aren't color photographs, but for the price I expected paper that wasn't see through in low light.

Imagine how thick the book would be if a thicker paper was used...
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

Offline ales22

• Contributor
« Reply #270 on: November 07, 2015, 10:13:00 pm »
I buyed AoE 2nd edition hard cover for 6 USD few days before, from local second hand books seller. But the book is in "new" condition, probably never used.   :-+
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 10:15:32 pm by ales22 »

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #272 on: December 11, 2015, 02:49:22 am »
Just to bump this thread  :)
Learning The Art of Electronics 3rd edition can be pre-ordered now.

So based on previous experience... it should be ready, what... 30 years from now?

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #273 on: December 11, 2015, 05:47:27 am »
April 22, 2016  :)

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #274 on: December 11, 2015, 06:12:03 am »
How much money are you willing to bet?  $75 maybe?  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf