Author Topic: Tektronix 2465B oscilloscope teardown  (Read 666793 times)

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
Re: Tektronix 2465B oscilloscope teardown
« Reply #350 on: January 26, 2015, 12:29:13 am »
Finished my U800

Nice heatsink!  I hope it doesn't stick up far enough to touch the case though.

Offline malch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #351 on: January 26, 2015, 12:31:58 am »
Measured twice cut once!

Offline malch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #352 on: January 26, 2015, 12:36:43 am »
sparkybg When you press t,v and slope you get a menu of calibration,test and exercise routines that are in a loop.
When I started the exerciser nothing happened. Why in the world would I make a movie of it?
Besides I dont have a movie camera.
I can exit the exerciser any time I want if I knew how to. :)

Offline sparkybg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #353 on: January 26, 2015, 11:34:17 am »
The cal/no cal jumper doesn't have to be in "cal" position for the exercise and test routines.

1. Turn the scope on.
2. Pres V, T simultaneously and then "SLOPE". You will see "DIAGNOSTIC. PUSH A/B TRIG TO EXIT" on top of screen and "ALL 00" on bottom.
3. Using "MODE" buttons, scroll to "EXER 02".
4. Push upper trigger "COUPLING" button. You will see "00 xxxx" on top of the screen where "00" is the address and "xxxx" are hexadecimal number.
5. Using upper trigger "SOURCE" button scroll from address 00 to FF address and write down the numbers. It is much easier to make a movie of the screen while you are scrolling. Every decent phone with camera can do this.
6. When you are done, press lower trigger "COUPLING" to exit exercise, and then "A/B TRIG" if you want to exit from diagnostic mode.

All this is written in the service manual, and maybe operator's manual as well.

The following users thanked this post: tonedeak99

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #354 on: February 02, 2015, 08:28:52 pm »
This is the best series of posts on EEVBLOG! Very informative, and interesting. My 2467B is on it's way from NYC off ebay. Cannot read SN well, but looks to be starting 05, so probably has the Dallas. Cannot quite read what is showing on the CRT either, so unknown if it has error messages. Seller did not seem to really know much. I figured out from the fuzzy rear photo that it has Option 05 TV Sync Sep, Option 06 CTT, Option 11 Probe Power. Can't wait to get it, open it, and see what's up... leaning toward the big battery option for the Dallas.

Martin

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #355 on: February 02, 2015, 08:48:04 pm »
BTW...

does anyone have, or know about Option 01E? it's the Reference signal input. It was only $200 to begin with. Sounds like mostly installing a BNC jack, but don't know.

Offline malch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #356 on: February 02, 2015, 09:01:38 pm »
It's not in my option service manual. just 01 and 01B. :)

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #357 on: February 02, 2015, 10:30:57 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it was offered. maybe 1E...  anyway, shown on the original datasheet for $200.00
It's just an External Reference Clock input.

Offline malch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #358 on: February 02, 2015, 10:34:06 pm »
Wikipedia notes 01E is for joining two scopes with one sync pulse.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #359 on: February 03, 2015, 12:44:46 am »
This is the best series of posts on EEVBLOG! Very informative, and interesting. My 2467B is on it's way from NYC off ebay. Cannot read SN well, but looks to be starting 05, so probably has the Dallas. Cannot quite read what is showing on the CRT either, so unknown if it has error messages. Seller did not seem to really know much. I figured out from the fuzzy rear photo that it has Option 05 TV Sync Sep, Option 06 CTT, Option 11 Probe Power. Can't wait to get it, open it, and see what's up... leaning toward the big battery option for the Dallas.

Martin

To wet your whistle, here's a comparison vid I took a few days ago between a 2465B and 2467B

CTT is nice to have, the 2467B I have has it but my 2465B doesn't. You can still measure frequency without the CTT but it isn't as accurate and it takes some time (and usually reconfigures your scope at the same time). With the CTT you can have a continuously updating frequency display shown, but not without it.

They are beautiful scopes. I use mine daily, the immediacy of operation compared to DSOs makes them such a joy to use. But no, I can't do an I2C decode with it. ;-)

Offline Kartman

• Contributor
« Reply #360 on: February 03, 2015, 02:29:52 am »
As usual, I'm late to the party! I haven't read the extensive posts here, so please forgive me if I'm repeating stuff you already know. I have a 2465 that had some problems a few years ago. It reported a earom failure. Turned out it was the electro for the -42V rail in the power supply. I went through and did an ESR test on all the caps on that board and all but one cap was ok. I disassembled the code and found where the earom was accessed. Shouldn't be too hard to poke in some code to use a modern spi eeprom. Since I found the root cause, I had no need to do any mods.
One problem I had recently is the power switch. This looks like a standard ITT shadow part that was common years ago. Does anyone know where to source these at a reasonable cost? As in around $10-20 USD? I've just put wires across the switch for the moment and power off by pulling the plug.

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #361 on: February 03, 2015, 04:22:59 am »
Hi Howard,

Nice video. We have a variety of very nice scopes at work Agilent, and Tek DSO's, but I prefer working with the analog scopes. we have a 2465B in our Faraday cage, and I was checking it out. Best analog scope we have. Pretty bright, but yes, you proved the 2467B is much brighter. My eyes are not that good anymore, so I need it! Glad I chose it over the standard CRT.

Martin

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #362 on: February 03, 2015, 04:30:38 am »
Wikipedia notes 01E is for joining two scopes with one sync pulse.

Hi, checked Wiki, but only found this...

Oscilloscope Options

The important oscilloscope options are:

01 - Digital Multimeter

03 - Word Recognizer Probe Pod (P6407)

05 - Video Waveform Measurement System

06 - Counter/Timer/Trigger (CTT)

09 - Counter/Timer/Trigger (CTT) with Word Recognizer (WR)

10 - GPIB Interface

11 - Probe Power

1E - External Clock

22 - Two additional Probes

1R - Prep for rack mounting kit

Offline malch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #363 on: February 03, 2015, 04:32:19 am »
1E - External Clock

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #364 on: February 03, 2015, 04:34:34 am »
Right.

But no mention of "joining 2 scopes together"....

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #365 on: February 03, 2015, 04:44:55 am »
I'm sure there are numerous uses for a Ref Clock input, and yes, one could be referencing 2 scopes to one clock signal.

Offline malch

• Regular Contributor

Offline malch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #367 on: February 03, 2015, 04:57:34 am »
Kartman , I'm pretty sure you have tried this: S350  260-1849-00  DPDT 4A 250V   31918   NE15/F2U103EE   ITT SCHADOW INC

The  NE15/F2U103EE   comes up on all the military surplus sites. I suppose you tried them?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 08:04:40 pm by malch »

Offline BravoVTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #368 on: February 03, 2015, 05:35:17 am »
Attached scanned brochure of the original price list of the Tektronix 2400B Series as a reference, as it has all the options details.

PS : Not sure when it was printed, as there is no date there.  :-//

« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 05:46:01 am by BravoV »

Offline malch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #369 on: February 03, 2015, 06:15:03 am »
Yup that's where I got it from.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 03:37:16 am by malch »

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #370 on: February 03, 2015, 04:34:10 pm »
That datasheet was the initial source of my original question.  Not much detail of the 1E option.
My real question is how to wire in a BNC to accomplish it.

Offline tymm

• Contributor
« Reply #371 on: February 05, 2015, 04:04:50 am »
As usual, I'm late to the party! I haven't read the extensive posts here, so please forgive me if I'm repeating stuff you already know. I have a 2465 that had some problems a few years ago. It reported a earom failure. Turned out it was the electro for the -42V rail in the power supply. I went through and did an ESR test on all the caps on that board and all but one cap was ok. I disassembled the code and found where the earom was accessed. Shouldn't be too hard to poke in some code to use a modern spi eeprom. Since I found the root cause, I had no need to do any mods.
One problem I had recently is the power switch. This looks like a standard ITT shadow part that was common years ago. Does anyone know where to source these at a reasonable cost? As in around $10-20 USD? I've just put wires across the switch for the moment and power off by pulling the plug.

Not sure if this is what you're asking about, but I was able to get a replacement switch cover (the flip dot like thing that goes over the switch) from Sphere Research a few years ago.  Don't remember the cost, but I think it was in that range.  They may also have the switches themselves.

http://www.sphere.bc.ca

They're great.

In some cases I've found that I needed to email them when looking for a specific part that I couldn't find on their site, but they've always been super helpful and pleasant to deal with.

** edit ** oops reread original post; you are talking specifically about the switch itself.  Still would suggest checking Sphere.

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #372 on: February 16, 2015, 04:40:20 am »
The time out on the CRT brightness on my 2467B seems to be 30secs according to the screen. Is this normal? Pretty silly having to turn a knob every 30 secs to keep the display on!!!

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #373 on: February 16, 2015, 06:05:08 am »
The time out on the CRT brightness on my 2467B seems to be 30secs according to the screen. Is this normal? Pretty silly having to turn a knob every 30 secs to keep the display on!!!

Is it same time if you adjust the trace darker?

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #374 on: February 16, 2015, 04:01:23 pm »
The time out is a normal feature I think on the 2467B, just not sure if 30 secs is the default, and if that can be changed. No, it makes no difference on the intensity setting, still 30 secs  countdown, no matter what. I'm sure it saves burns, but quite annoying!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf