Author Topic: Upgrading Mainboard in Lecroy DDA-3000 (aka WavePro 7300a?)  (Read 166942 times)

Offline Converter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Upgrading Mainboard in Lecroy DDA-3000 (aka WavePro 7300a?)
« Reply #425 on: September 26, 2019, 02:46:12 am »
As I already wrote, I just do not see any reason to revive what is naturally asking for an update (if you are not a restorer of unique exhibits)  :horse:
Of course, I'm talking only about the motherboard with AGP output.
If the LeCroy logo is important to you at the time of launch, you can add any logo (even NASA) to the BIOS yourself using utilities that are freely available.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 01:22:14 pm by Converter »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #426 on: September 26, 2019, 10:02:42 am »
What I'm wondering: does a working Wavepro show the Lecroy startup logo?
yes every WP will show the LeCroy logo, except mine which i got its MB replaced (showing Intel Logo, havent figured out how nor have time yet to reflash logo in BIOS EEPROM) if you can see it along with bios info afterward, then maybe its Windows OS driver issue, if not, then probably contact issue, faulty board or bios settings, my 2cnts.
OK. So this means the BIOS should recognise the AGP ADD card (ADD seems to be an Intel proprietary AGP extension) and enable the LCD data. I also assume that there is always a picture on the internal TFT which is a scaled up / down version of what is on the external monitor?

As I already wrote, I just do not see any reason to revive what is naturally asking for an update (unless you are a restorer of originals)  :horse:
Of course, I'm talking only about the motherboard with AGP output.
I'd like to but I have to be really careful not to put another project on my plate right now. If I can't get the TFT to work then I likely leave it for now.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #427 on: September 26, 2019, 11:50:14 am »
Success! I have cleaned the AGP slot and now the internal display works as well.  The new fans are also on their way. I ordered Nidec Servo model D1225C12B6ZPA-64 120mm fans which where suggested on this page: http://s-audio.systems/blog/lecroy-upgrade/
Now let's add some memory.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #428 on: September 26, 2019, 12:28:00 pm »
OK. So this means the BIOS should recognise the AGP ADD card (ADD seems to be an Intel proprietary AGP extension) and enable the LCD data.
i know nothing about such ADD or AGP standard or protocol, but some experience from the past and some common sense may help on narrowing down problems a little bit. and thanks to this thread for giving so much more knowledge regarding this. i never encountered a MB that can spit video internally until i got my WM and i knew nothing about DVI, hence i made the least intrusive upgrade which is to buy the last MB revision that support internal dvo to AGP, same style as original, except capable to fit faster intel processor in, double the ram capacity and a little bit faster FSB, the original MB is topped out cant do anything to upgrade, even the ram is full slot but only 1GB. unlike some more knowledgable people here who went to the extend of drilling and diying their own DVI cable. i knew no such thing until recently when i have to diy DVI to HDMI adapter, then i know a little bit what every pins are, but thats all, i cant say i know something about it when looking on the board/components/functional/standard level. coincidentally i am working on a used PC with a broken graphics card, cleaning PCIe pins didnt help, adding capacitors as per internet advice didnt help, replacing with older card it works, so in the end the conclusion is, i have to buy new graphics card for the workstation. the net hinted possible rohs solder crack under the GPU, maybe i will bake it in an oven later, but i'm replacing it with a new card anyway since its older and only marginally better than my 10yrs old but faithful radeon card. and i found a cheaper alternative, ranked about half the performance, but currrent price is one tenth or lesser than the best gfx card on earth, so its a go (still in shipment, finger crossed i hope its compatible). congratulation on your simple fix.

Now let's add some memory.
be careful, you are going to spend money on it further, TEA syndrom may kick in. as someone adviced, you need to think carefully the worthiness of upgrading a system that needs a total upgrade in the first place. if you can get the ram like a dollar or 2, it maybe worth it for a little boost. i spent approx $100-200 upgrading my WM8K just to get it quite on par (faster actually) with my main PC in term of single core speed, but since its an even older tech, its a power hog, so now i have a water cool system inside a LeCroy WM8K :palm: maybe i should have listened or follow the path of hardcorers here, but my limitation in knowledge prohibited that. cheers.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 12:49:12 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #429 on: September 26, 2019, 12:59:14 pm »
Yeah. I'm about done with it.  SSD, more memory, new fans, LED backlight and some cleaning.

I absolutely admire  :clap: what converter has done with the retina screen but it also is quite a bit of work. I don't intend to use the 7200A as a daily driver scope but only for special cases where I need the high bandwidth.

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #430 on: September 26, 2019, 01:25:32 pm »
Yeah. I'm about done with it.  SSD, more memory, new fans, LED backlight and some cleaning.

I absolutely admire  :clap: what converter has done with the retina screen but it also is quite a bit of work. I don't intend to use the 7200A as a daily driver scope but only for special cases where I need the high bandwidth.

Congrats on the repair, are you going to mod it to 7300A? What LeCroy probes are you planning to use?

Just bear in mind that LeCroy does most of the math/analysis on the PC - the scope board is just fast sampler, memory and trigger. AFAIR the rest is done on the PC side - hence why high single thread performance and large caches can improve things a lot. With old PC parts being often cheap, sometimes even very proper motherboards like Advantest (with both PCI and LVDS for XGA display), for me it is no-brainer (also on my WaveRunner the old original mobo was in a bad state, most caps vented, not to mention Celeron CPU there is a joke).

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #431 on: September 26, 2019, 01:28:05 pm »
How to mod it to a 7300A? I have missed that.

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #433 on: September 26, 2019, 02:46:51 pm »

Congrats on the repair, are you going to mod it to 7300A? What LeCroy probes are you planning to use?
My own ofcourse  ;) I already have reasonable collection of RF probes and in many cases I use a direct cable connector. Also some of the measurements I deal with are looking at 1Hz (one Hertz) pulses at the picosecond level.
Just bear in mind that LeCroy does most of the math/analysis on the PC - the scope board is just fast sampler, memory and trigger. AFAIR the rest is done on the PC side - hence why high single thread performance and large caches can improve things a lot. With old PC parts being often cheap, sometimes even very proper motherboards like Advantest (with both PCI and LVDS for XGA display), for me it is no-brainer (also on my WaveRunner the old original mobo was in a bad state, most caps vented, not to mention Celeron CPU there is a joke).
Mine (made in 2006) has a 2.8 GHz P4 so it isn't that bad. OTOH currently it has a single DDR266 memory module. I've ordered 2 1GB DDR400 modules so both memory channels can be used.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #434 on: September 26, 2019, 03:01:52 pm »
I've ordered 2 1GB DDR400 modules so both memory channels can be used.
are you sure DDR400 is supported by your MoBo? older Mobo such as mine only maxed out to 533MHz FSB and hence DDR266. i think DDR400 will need 800MHz FSB, no? what Mobo model is yours?
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #435 on: September 26, 2019, 03:17:25 pm »
are you sure DDR400 is supported by your MoBo? older Mobo such as mine only maxed out to 533MHz FSB and hence DDR266. i think DDR400 will need 800MHz FSB, no? what Mobo model is yours?
There is an Intel D865GLC motherboard in my 7200A which supports up to 800MHz FSB. I checked the memory specifications in the manual from the motherboard. Oddly enough I only have one 256MB module which fits in this motherboard despite having stacks of memory modules.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 03:21:44 pm by nctnico »

The following users thanked this post: analogRF

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #436 on: September 26, 2019, 03:33:22 pm »

https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/support/articles/000006686/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.html

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #437 on: September 26, 2019, 03:36:16 pm »
There is an Intel D865GLC motherboard in my 7200A which supports up to 800MHz FSB. I checked the memory specifications in the manual from the motherboard. Oddly enough I only have one 256MB module which fits in this motherboard despite having stacks of memory modules.

great job, nctnico  :-+
I have a WP 7300A with P4 2.8GHz and 1G RAM but I am planning to  follow your steps to upgrade the HDD to SSD and also the CPU and RAM
This is a really wonderful scope and I have like a  zillion options on it...and XL memory  :)  Buying it was an accident and turned out to be a real bargain

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #438 on: October 20, 2019, 04:17:02 am »
I finally got the parts and upgraded my WP 7300A with 120GB SSD SATA, 4GB PC3200 Micron, P4 SL7PN  3.2GHz 1MB L2 cache  :) :)

however, I have got a problem  :-// |O
the scope boots fine and works ok most of the time but in some settings suddenly it behaves strange and if I change the setting like time/div
it becomes normal again. It very much looks like a driver issue.

I have read the thread and I believe my problem is that when I first put the cpu in, I didn't disable HyperThreading in the BIOS before booting to winXP and it probably changed to SMP kernel and I think that's the root of  my problem as Lecroy drivers dont work properly with HyperThreading
Although i have disabled HyperThreading in BIOS now, but I think the winxp kernel has changed and must be reversed back to uniprocessor again

my question is: how can I know if the winxp kernel is changed? how to revert back to the previous kernel which was only for uniprocessor and no hyperthreading?

thanks

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #439 on: October 20, 2019, 07:39:12 am »
I have read the thread and I believe my problem is that...
are you sure?

download the driver patch/fix from ingowien...
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/upgrading-mainboard-in-lecroy-dda-3000-(aka-wavepro-7300a)/msg2222433/#msg2222433

and from dxl (there 3 driver variant iirc you can check at the vicinity of the post)...
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/upgrading-mainboard-in-lecroy-dda-3000-(aka-wavepro-7300a)/msg1144239/#msg1144239

you can then forget about which kernel windows is using and then enable hyperthreading/multicore processor to your heart content (even upgrade to i9 core i think)... these are gems in this thread, go check those out.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 12:03:08 pm by Mechatrommer »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #440 on: October 20, 2019, 09:32:37 am »
I finally got the parts and upgraded my WP 7300A with 120GB SSD SATA, 4GB PC3200 Micron, P4 SL7PN  3.2GHz 1MB L2 cache  :) :)

however, I have got a problem  :-// |O
the scope boots fine and works ok most of the time but in some settings suddenly it behaves strange and if I change the setting like time/div
it becomes normal again. It very much looks like a driver issue.

I have read the thread and I believe my problem is that when I first put the cpu in, I didn't disable HyperThreading in the BIOS before booting to winXP and it probably changed to SMP kernel and I think that's the root of  my problem as Lecroy drivers dont work properly with HyperThreading
Although i have disabled HyperThreading in BIOS now, but I think the winxp kernel has changed and must be reversed back to uniprocessor again

my question is: how can I know if the winxp kernel is changed? how to revert back to the previous kernel which was only for uniprocessor and no hyperthreading?

thanks
I had the same problem. You can do that from the control panel -> system -> device manager -> computer. Change to 'standard PC with ACPI' or something like that. Currently the setting is probably something with multi processor.

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #441 on: October 20, 2019, 10:47:44 am »
I have read the thread and I believe my problem is that...
are you sure?

download the driver patch/fix from ingowien...
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/upgrading-mainboard-in-lecroy-dda-3000-(aka-wavepro-7300a)/msg2222433/#msg2222433

and from dxl (there 3 driver variant iirc you can check at the vicinity of the post)...
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/upgrading-mainboard-in-lecroy-dda-3000-(aka-wavepro-7300a)/msg1144239/#msg1144239

you can then forget about which kernel windows is using and then enable hyperthreading/multicore processor to your heart content (even upgrade to i9 core i think)... these are germs in this thread, go check those out.

thank you, Mechatrommer  :D
These look good. The front panel lights going crazy is actually what I was referring to .

But which one of the two solutions do  you recommend? I am on WinXP and I like it and dont wanna change to Win7 anyways.

I think if anything goes wrong, I can always make another copy of my original hard drive and reset everything to original. I still have the .img file on my laptop  :) I just wanted a quicker solution. I will try this in a couple of hours

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #442 on: October 20, 2019, 12:00:08 pm »
if you have to choose one, its ingowien driver, it worked for me the first time where dxl's driver didnt do anything. but i remember dxl's driver also give some benefit but i cant recall what, but only once you installed the ingowien driver. otoh also if you already do your research, the most important files are in the d:\calibration iirc, you must backup those files at all cost. nevermind the lecroy installation in C you can rebuild that later with installer file available in lecroy site and various places for older version, but if you can save all by all mean do it, it should be good to keep the original settings/files/config of the dso when we get them. it wont hurt to get another $40 SSD or TB HDD specifically for this backup purpose considering the value of the item (dso) we are dealing with, storage is cheap nowadays. ymmv.

I like it and dont wanna change to Win7 anyways.
i/we tried Win7, its a no go since Win7 will fail to allocate resources for the Lecroy's hardware. both ingowien and dxl driver cant help on this, at least for me, so we stick with WinXP (multicore version :P). ymmv.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 12:04:33 pm by Mechatrommer »

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #443 on: October 20, 2019, 12:13:32 pm »
if you have to choose one, its ingowien driver, it worked for me the first time where dxl's driver didnt do anything. but i remember dxl's driver also give some benefit but i cant recall what, but only once you installed the ingowien driver. otoh also if you already do your research, the most important files are in the d:\calibration iirc, you must backup those files at all cost. nevermind the lecroy installation in C you can rebuild that later with installer file available in lecroy site and various places for older version, but if you can save all by all mean do it, it should be good to keep the original settings/files/config of the dso when we get them. it wont hurt to get another $40 SSD or TB HDD specifically for this backup purpose considering the value of the item (dso) we are dealing with, storage is cheap nowadays. ymmv.

I like it and dont wanna change to Win7 anyways.
i/we tried Win7, its a no go since Win7 will fail to allocate resources for the Lecroy's hardware. both ingowien and dxl driver cant help on this, at least for me, so we stick with WinXP (multicore version :P). ymmv.

thanks. just out of curiosity, does having dual core (physically) or hyperthreading give any noticable performance boost in the xstream software and scope functions/math/zoom/fft/ect...? I think I saw somewhere that it doesn't help much anyways. Have you noticed any difference with and without having hyperthreading?

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #444 on: October 20, 2019, 12:29:03 pm »
...with installer file available in lecroy site and various places for older version, but if you can save all by all mean do it, it should be good to keep the original settings/files/config of the dso when we get them. it wont hurt to get another $40 SSD or TB HDD specifically for this backup purpose considering the value of the item (dso) we are dealing with, storage is cheap nowadays. ymmv.

I already have a raw .img of my original HDD plus the original HDD (which was actually in a pretty good shape) so I have a back up of all files.

I think those who changed to win7, all changed their motherboard first. But I am not thinking that far. I am also happy with the current resolution of the display, so I wont be tinkering with that either.

However, i have a big issue with the LCD which I cannot figure out how to fix. It looks like there are many bright (whiter than background) horizontal lines unevenly distributed on the screen. They dont obscure the display and there are no missing pixels and everything is visible but these white/dark/white/dark/... lines are annoying. They are only in the background and they are there as soon as I turn the scope on before even the windows starts. even visible on the Lecroy Logo screen. It seems like bad contact in connectors but I have reseated and cleaned all of them

any suggestion is appreciated

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #445 on: October 20, 2019, 12:30:26 pm »
i havent test, but members in this thread claimed dual core will improve performance (FFT/graphics/3D processing in another core, GUI/Windows in another) but having more than that is not much point. but if you can get 4 core cpu + supporting motherboard at cheap, why not? its better to have later more modern HW anyway.

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #446 on: October 20, 2019, 12:34:35 pm »
i havent test, but members in this thread claimed dual core will improve performance (FFT/graphics/3D processing in another core, GUI/Windows in another) but having more than that is not much point. but if you can get 4 core cpu + supporting motherboard at cheap, why not? its better to have later more modern HW anyway.

yes, logically that makes sense, but I just read in the thread (cannot remember the post) that the xstream software and the lecroy drivers do not benefit much from multicore. clearly remember someone was disappointed to have put in a quad core with not much improvement...

for now my front panel light flickering with hyprethreading is fixed  :D :D
so the only issue I have with the scope is the degraded LCD which must have a fix but i don't know how....

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #447 on: October 20, 2019, 12:46:22 pm »
The lines are in the display itself. Your best option is to buy an identical display as a replacement. There are some companies which sell used displays.

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #448 on: October 20, 2019, 12:48:31 pm »
The lines are in the display itself. Your best option is to buy an identical display as a replacement. There are some companies which sell used displays.

have you experienced this before?
do you know the model number and brand of the display? I have not opened it up yet

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #449 on: October 20, 2019, 01:02:21 pm »
However, i have a big issue with the LCD which I cannot figure out how to fix. It looks like there are many bright (whiter than background) horizontal lines unevenly distributed on the screen. They dont obscure the display and there are no missing pixels and everything is visible but these white/dark/white/dark/... lines are annoying. They are only in the background and they are there as soon as I turn the scope on before even the windows starts. even visible on the Lecroy Logo screen. It seems like bad contact in connectors but I have reseated and cleaned all of them

any suggestion is appreciated
its seems the same problem as my samsung pc monitor, i posted asking how to fix, the resolution is it needs german wizardry to fix the internal hardware, in the end i bought a new monitor. i think thats the hardware problem. if you already cleaned the connection and problem is still there, the part number is NEC NL8060BC26-17 10.4" 800x600 monitor, its still easily available in ebay. i bought one to replace my SDA6000 monitor which has vertical green line on the right end. this is the seller i bought from, other sellers sell at higher pricee...
https://www.ebay.com.my/itm/10-4inch-For-NEC-NL8060BC26-17-LCD-screen-display-panel-800-RGB-600-2-pcs-CCFL/202308356845?hash=item2f1a848aed:g:XhAAAOSw5jhbrKYU

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf