Author Topic: Upgrading Mainboard in Lecroy DDA-3000 (aka WavePro 7300a?)  (Read 166847 times)

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Upgrading Mainboard in Lecroy DDA-3000 (aka WavePro 7300a?)
« Reply #450 on: October 20, 2019, 01:09:12 pm »
However, i have a big issue with the LCD which I cannot figure out how to fix. It looks like there are many bright (whiter than background) horizontal lines unevenly distributed on the screen. They dont obscure the display and there are no missing pixels and everything is visible but these white/dark/white/dark/... lines are annoying. They are only in the background and they are there as soon as I turn the scope on before even the windows starts. even visible on the Lecroy Logo screen. It seems like bad contact in connectors but I have reseated and cleaned all of them

any suggestion is appreciated
its seems the same problem as my samsung pc monitor, i posted asking how to fix, the resolution is it needs german wizardry to fix the internal hardware, in the end i bought a new monitor. i think thats the hardware problem. if you already cleaned the connection and problem is still there, the part number is NEC NL8060BC26-17 10.4" 800x600 monitor, its still easily available in ebay. i bought one to replace my SDA6000 monitor which has vertical green line on the right end. this is the seller i bought from, other sellers sell at higher pricee...
https://www.ebay.com.my/itm/10-4inch-For-NEC-NL8060BC26-17-LCD-screen-display-panel-800-RGB-600-2-pcs-CCFL/202308356845?hash=item2f1a848aed:g:XhAAAOSw5jhbrKYU

This is great info  :D
Did you replace the ccfl with LED back lighting?

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #451 on: October 20, 2019, 01:13:45 pm »
This is great info  :D
its all here in this thread, i'm just repeating the info.. very little that i learnt myself. i replaced the whole monitor, i dont have time and knowledge to dismantle every pieces of the lcd. but it needs some poking around to remove the lcd and flex cables from the dso, good luck.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #452 on: October 20, 2019, 01:16:57 pm »
Replacing the LCD is a lot of work. You need to take out the USB ports / floppy drive to remove the panel with the buttons in order to reach the screws which hold the LCD in place. The cables are another problem and unscrewing the video adapter board makes life a little bit easier in order to reach the touch panel connector. Making stuff maintenance friendly isn't Lecroy's strongest point.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: analogRF

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #453 on: October 20, 2019, 01:22:33 pm »
i am still wondering if replacing the lcd is the only solution to this issue....

Offline longvn

« Reply #454 on: October 20, 2019, 02:41:14 pm »
i am still wondering if replacing the lcd is the only solution to this issue....
I have the same situation with SDA 3000A. Yellow vertical stripes on my screen. This is a panel error that is difficult to fix.
Can higher resolution display on Lecroy original hardware?
Thanks for the reply!

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #455 on: October 20, 2019, 02:55:17 pm »
this is the problem with my display. Its pretty clear in the screen shots
everything is visible and there are no vertical lines or dead lines or colored lines...and there are there even before windows kicks in
just horizontal gray lines which are transparent and dont obscure what is supposed to be seen on screen but annoying and look bad

any idea?

Offline longvn

« Reply #456 on: October 20, 2019, 03:03:34 pm »
Thanks to the members of this forum. You are wonderful people. Without you I cannot make my Lecroy SDA3000 work. I struggled with it all week but couldn't get it done. In my country no one has studied these things. Luck to join this forum. Language is a barrier to me.
Thank you everyone.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #457 on: October 20, 2019, 03:11:58 pm »
everything is visible and there are no vertical lines or dead lines or colored lines...and there are there even before windows kicks in
just horizontal gray lines which are transparent and dont obscure what is supposed to be seen on screen but annoying and look bad

any idea?
You can try to take the display apart and reseat all the internal connectors. Generally that takes removing a few screws and bending some metal tabs away. It is not really complicated but you need a large flat surface to work on so you can lay parts of the display on the side.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline longvn

« Reply #458 on: October 20, 2019, 03:18:00 pm »

any idea?
As far as I know the reason is because the cable connected to the panel leaked glue. If you can open the panel with wires attached to the LCD panel and press it with your hand to see if it improves. Most likely it will be left.
I see you use P4 3.2 1M cache. I used to attach to SDA3000, however the CPU and mainboard temperatures are very high. I was really worried and using P4 3.0ghz 512k cache, everything seemed to be better. Do you have problems with P4 3.2ghz?
I checked when making calculated measurements, CPU operating from 80-90%, which solution is best with original hardware?
Thanks

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #459 on: October 20, 2019, 03:44:20 pm »

As far as I know the reason is because the cable connected to the panel leaked glue. If you can open the panel with wires attached to the LCD panel and press it with your hand to see if it improves. Most likely it will be left.
I see you use P4 3.2 1M cache. I used to attach to SDA3000, however the CPU and mainboard temperatures are very high. I was really worried and using P4 3.0ghz 512k cache, everything seemed to be better. Do you have problems with P4 3.2ghz?
I checked when making calculated measurements, CPU operating from 80-90%, which solution is best with original hardware?
Thanks

yeah I need to take the LCD apart. I am a bit worried about messing up the touchscreen. It seems a separate glass on top of the actual TFT panel, am I right?

with regard to CPU, i have not measured temp under heavy load but once I did an FFT for a few minutes and then check (few seconds had passed) and temp was around 43-44 reported by hwinfo . At other times under normal windows usage I also get around 42C ...i need to check under heavier load. it also depends on which software you use to monitor. I used AIDA32 and it only reports 37C which I am sure its wrong

EDIT: but the upgrade from P4 2.8GHz 512K L2 (FSB 533MHz) to this CPU plus the 4 GB DDR400 and SSD drive, made a huge difference for me in terms of responsiveness and speed and boot time. really worth the $40-$50 that I spent
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 03:47:02 pm by analogRF »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #460 on: October 20, 2019, 03:56:52 pm »
AFAIK there are two 3.2GHz P4s. One with a TDP of 115W and one with 80W. The latter will run cooler.

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #461 on: October 20, 2019, 03:58:25 pm »
AFAIK there are two 3.2GHz P4s. One with a TDP of 115W and one with 80W. The latter will run cooler.

mmm...i don't know which one I got...mine has SL7PN stepping...

Offline longvn

« Reply #462 on: October 20, 2019, 04:06:11 pm »

Thanks

yeah I need to take the LCD apart. I am a bit worried about messing up the touchscreen. It seems a separate glass on top of the actual TFT panel, am I right?

with regard to CPU, i have not measured temp under heavy load but once I did an FFT for a few minutes and then check (few seconds had passed) and temp was around 43-44 reported by hwinfo . At other times under normal windows usage I also get around 42C ...i need to check under heavier load. it also depends on which software you use to monitor. I used AIDA32 and it only reports 37C which I am sure its wrong

EDIT: but the upgrade from P4 2.8GHz 512K L2 (FSB 533MHz) to this CPU plus the 4 GB DDR400 and SSD drive, made a huge difference for me in terms of responsiveness and speed and boot time. really worth the $40-$50 that I spent
I think the parameter you measured is definitely not accurate. Parameters I measured when stopping triger CPU to 0% but when the trigger start returned to the CPU load an average of 50%, the CPU temperature is about 55 0C AUX on main 70 0c. AC power consumption is higher when using 3ghz CPU about 40W. For a machine that is nearly 20 years old, I think it will quickly get serious errors for the power and can affect the motherboard.
I think you should be cautious with CPU 3.2ghz.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #463 on: October 20, 2019, 04:08:41 pm »

Intel says this is the 84W version:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/27466/intel-pentium-4-processor-540-540j-supporting-ht-technology-1m-cache-3-20-ghz-800-mhz-fsb.html

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #464 on: October 20, 2019, 04:14:56 pm »

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/27466/intel-pentium-4-processor-540-540j-supporting-ht-technology-1m-cache-3-20-ghz-800-mhz-fsb.html

no this is not what I have, that page does not say if it is SL7PN or not
however, according to this page
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_4_microprocessors#Prescott_(90_nm)

mine is 103W unfortunately. But I cannot see a 84W version with Socket 478 and 1MB L2 at 3.2GHz except the one I got
I don't think the LGA775 socket would fit the intel motherboard

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #465 on: October 20, 2019, 04:18:04 pm »
actually those P4 540/540J models are even cheaper than what I bought and would have been the better option but I thought socket LGA775 will not fit this motherboard

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #466 on: October 20, 2019, 04:28:02 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_4_microprocessors#Prescott_(90_nm)

mine is 103W unfortunately. But I cannot see a 84W version with Socket 478 and 1MB L2 at 3.2GHz except the one I got
Hmm, Google seems to direct to the right page on Intel website nevertheless. But I see that there is no mention of the chip stepping.
Still you have to be carefull with CPU's over 2.8GHz. The technical manual from the motherboard says that the voltage regulators will become very hot.

Offline longvn

« Reply #467 on: October 20, 2019, 04:38:35 pm »

Hmm, Google seems to direct to the right page on Intel website nevertheless. But I see that there is no mention of the chip stepping.
Still you have to be carefull with CPU's over 2.8GHz. The technical manual from the motherboard says that the voltage regulators will become very hot.
Right. This is my concern. The source IC on the main is very hot operation, so if operating for long time leading to damage. Hot CPU still has a solution if it increases the cooling capacity of the fan ....

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #468 on: October 20, 2019, 04:43:34 pm »

it is strange that the Intel website shows the P4 model 540 as both being LGA775 and PGA478 ?! But I cannot find any information on the socket 478 versions. model 540 and 540J can only be found with LGA775 socket.
Within socket 478 family, the only 3.2GHz that fits this board is the one that I got. But now you guys made me think....

but I saw a few people on this thread had reported changing their cpu to 3.2GHz and didn't report any problem ...

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #469 on: October 20, 2019, 04:50:05 pm »
also on the Intel website this is the list of supported CPUs for this matherboard
they dont state the stepping codes but they have listed P4 up to 3.4GHz for this board
https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/support/articles/000006655/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.html

I think what I got must be one of these listed above

EDIT: for example the extreme edition, first on the list, is 103W (see the wikipedia link that I posted earlier)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 04:52:15 pm by analogRF »

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #470 on: October 20, 2019, 07:14:30 pm »
oo right the touchscreen. they are separate unit technically, you are right, but unfortunately they are glued together, and try to separate them is like destroying the touchscreen glass or the monitor. so no, they are not separate, practically speaking, you need to buy separate 10.4" 4 wire touch panel, and glue your own together to the spare monitor. once installed on the dso, need to calibrate the touch using the SW (updd3_8_34.zip) you can search in this thread.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #471 on: October 20, 2019, 07:20:20 pm »
You won't need to take the touchscreen off. The touch screen is glued to the metal outer bracket which you can remove from the TFT screen.  But you won't need to disassemble a TFT screen that far to get to the electronics anyway. Just lay it flat with the screen side down and remove the back cover.

The following users thanked this post: analogRF

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #472 on: October 20, 2019, 07:23:17 pm »
If you're going to upgrade the Pentium 4 without swapping the board, my recommendation would be a Northwood core based - these are a larger process node, have less cache, and top out at lower frequencies.... but intel screwed the pooch in moving to the Prescott architecture, so they're also slightly better performance per clock (even with less cache) and significantly more power efficient.  Also prevents any worries about power draw from the motherboard or the power supply LeCroy picked.

I've upgraded a couple of these scopes without swapping the motherboard and my usual is: 2.8GHz Northwood P4, 4GB RAM (XP/2000 can't use all of it anyways), and a PATA/IDE SSD DoM with an image of the original drive.  That's all flat upgrades from base configuration, but requires no driver changes, configuration options, or fan/heatsink replacement and the whole thing with a 32GB DoM can be done for less than $60.  Also going with a disk on module means you can get rid of the IDE cable, you don't have to worry about mounting holes (PATA SSDs are usually 2.5" format, so you need new holes if you want to mount it where the HDD is normally), and you make the whole unit slightly lighter and slightly less airflow obstructed.

I believe the Windows 2000 based machines have an earlier revision intel board that will still support up to like 3.06GHz CPUs but no more, whereas the windows XP machines come with the slightly newer motherboard with extended CPU support, including hyperthreading, but the same socket (and still no dual core).

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #473 on: October 20, 2019, 07:40:01 pm »
You won't need to take the touchscreen off. The touch screen is glued to the metal outer bracket which you can remove from the TFT screen.  But you won't need to disassemble a TFT screen that far to get to the electronics anyway. Just lay it flat with the screen side down and remove the back cover.

looking from the side, it seemed to me this should be the case and you confirmed my thought

can I also replace the backlight without tampering with the touchscreen? (if it turns out that the LCD is ok I would like to replace the backlight)

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #474 on: October 20, 2019, 07:41:17 pm »
oo right the touchscreen. they are separate unit technically, you are right, but unfortunately they are glued together, and try to separate them is like destroying the touchscreen glass or the monitor. so no, they are not separate, practically speaking, you need to buy separate 10.4" 4 wire touch panel, and glue your own together to the spare monitor. once installed on the dso, need to calibrate the touch using the SW (updd3_8_34.zip) you can search in this thread.
could you point me to the touch panel that you used?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf