Author Topic: Siglent SPD3303D review  (Read 92250 times)

Offline FrankBussTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
Re: Siglent SPD3303D review
« Reply #150 on: October 18, 2016, 08:02:39 pm »
Yes, the lock key is a limited version of the "limit" function which some of the Rigol power supplies have, see minute 18:46 in this video:

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #151 on: October 21, 2016, 05:01:13 pm »
Panel keys lock is alright, does the job. The X series have a good enough UI by now too. I like the compact form factor and silent operation of our Siglent vs the Rigol. Also the relays for series. No need for wire jumpers to change modes. I am also happy with the after sales service.
A friend has the Rigol and its way too bulky and noisy for me, also the screen characters are small and many. A crowded display. All same color.
If Siglent could retro-fix the S series firmware for all digits selection to be changing with the rotary I would be happy. If they could be also adding set and out display sections like on the X it would be perfect. They are the same PSUs except there is also network in the X. That could mean a different controller chip inside though.

Offline leonerd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #152 on: November 23, 2016, 02:18:10 pm »
With the new firmware, the display makes much more sense, and can set the set points independently of the measured output.

Oooh - is that the thing I was suggesting way back a year ago or so? Do you have any pictures you could show us of the new display form?

It is also worth noting that the 2.5/3.3/5V channel is overload protected, but the current limit is not adjustable. A pity, but you do have 2 other channels with full control.

Yeah - I'm really not sure I consider this to be a 3-channel power supply. It's more like 2-and-a-bit. CH3 is not a real channel.

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #153 on: March 16, 2017, 06:40:44 pm »
Has anyone noticed whether or not the fan speed will drop when you enable the output? I know that the fan speed varies according to the temperature of the main heatsink, but the fan speed on my unit always drops considerably when the output is enabled compared to when it's disabled.

It makes me wonder if there is a power rail issue.

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #154 on: March 16, 2017, 06:49:48 pm »
Mine does the same. Perhaps the fan is powered straight from the rectified output to ease on the regulator? Haven't checked, though.

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #155 on: March 17, 2017, 06:19:43 am »
Mine does the same. Perhaps the fan is powered straight from the rectified output to ease on the regulator? Haven't checked, though.
Ok, that sounds plausible and I can accept it.

Another issue I've noticed is that my channel 2 is drawing 0.01 A or so when the output is enabled, but not connected to any load. Should I be concerned?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #156 on: March 17, 2017, 10:29:43 am »
Another issue I've noticed is that my channel 2 is drawing 0.01 A or so when the output is enabled, but not connected to any load. Should I be concerned?

Are we talking the "D" or "S" model? If you have "D", then I definitely wouldn't worry about it, 0.01A being the one least significant digit count. I have the "S" model (1 mA resolution one) and both channels show (different) few mA of current values when enabled but unloaded after cold start. They then drop to few (sub 10) mA after some time, as the thing heats up. It's rather easy to check the manual whether yours still in specs or not (I don't have it on hand now).

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #157 on: March 20, 2017, 01:02:56 am »
Anyone know a way to recover the SPD3303X after a failed firmware update bricks it? Nothing at all on power up now.

I tried the firmware update on advice from Siglent after having front panel lockups. It is under warranty, and Trio are fantastic, sending me a loaner while mine is being fixed, but would like to recover it if it is straight forward.

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #158 on: March 20, 2017, 10:48:26 am »
Anyone know a way to recover the SPD3303X after a failed firmware update bricks it? Nothing at all on power up now.

I tried the firmware update on advice from Siglent after having front panel lockups. It is under warranty, and Trio are fantastic, sending me a loaner while mine is being fixed, but would like to recover it if it is straight forward.

IIRC, you put it in the bootloader mode by holding the rotary encoder pressed while powering up. Then you'll have to choose "bootloader mode" in the supplied software while uploading the firmware file.

The following users thanked this post: Helix70

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #159 on: March 20, 2017, 06:20:13 pm »

IIRC, you put it in the bootloader mode by holding the rotary encoder pressed while powering up. Then you'll have to choose "bootloader mode" in the supplied software while uploading the firmware file.
For one I updated recently, I had to install the EasyPower PC control utility and install the new FW via that. It seemed the only way mentioned to update the X series PSU's, The process was quite straightforward and painless enough. The X series PSU screen displayed an "updating" message while it was and IIRC another to restart the PSU when finished.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Helix70

Offline mimmus78

• Supporter
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2017, 07:07:25 pm »
Prematurely wear out? Not at all, I have others Agilent power supply and almost never used this Siglent one.
When he developed the problem was almost like new ... Now I learned to turn off the channel before changing voltage, but this is not always possible.

Anyway it should be a safety (for the circuit you are working on) to not ever jump like this. It doesn't even have acceleration implemented ...

It also has the USB tmc bug that was never solved. You get what you pay for.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:10:01 pm by mimmus78 »

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #161 on: March 21, 2017, 06:51:26 am »

Thanks, that worked. I also had to reinstall the NI-VISA drivers, mine had gotten corrupted somehow. FYI, don't do the update via a USB hub, or you may brick it. Direct connection worked. Now I can wait and see if the update fixed my panel lockups!

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #162 on: January 03, 2018, 11:42:04 am »
I'm sure anyone who cares has already figured it out, but it's quite trivial to upgrade the 3303D to the S version. Simply open the S version .ugf file in a hex editor (or maybe notepad) and change the 'SPD3303S' header to 'SPD3303D'. (EDIT: Ooops, I had that the other way around...  :-//)

Of greater interest is upgrading the S version to the X version firmware. After comparing some pictures, it looks like the D/S controller board is very similar to the X/X-E one. A quick look at the .ads format firmware for the X version suggests that it is indeed built on the same foundation as the D/S firmware, with 3303D and 3303S strings still intact. Unfortunately, the .ads format for the power supplies is not quite the same as the one used for the oscilloscopes, so more reversing is needed. Refer to this thread for more info: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ads-firmware-file-format/

As always, we would very much appreciate it if Siglent could simply backport some of the interface improvements to the 3303D/S and save us all a load of trouble. :-DD
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 08:06:13 pm by nidlaX »

The following users thanked this post: djeans

Offline jimjam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #163 on: June 08, 2020, 02:57:43 pm »
Of greater interest is upgrading the S version to the X version firmware. After comparing some pictures, it looks like the D/S controller board is very similar to the X/X-E one. A quick look at the .ads format firmware for the X version suggests that it is indeed built on the same foundation as the D/S firmware, with 3303D and 3303S strings still intact. Unfortunately, the .ads format for the power supplies is not quite the same as the one used for the oscilloscopes, so more reversing is needed. Refer to this thread for more info: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ads-firmware-file-format/

As always, we would very much appreciate it if Siglent could simply backport some of the interface improvements to the 3303D/S and save us all a load of trouble. :-DD
Did you find out more about this?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #164 on: June 08, 2020, 07:57:20 pm »

Did you find out more about this?
Not worth the effort as the X series PSU's use a LCD display vs LED for the old models.
My 2c is go for the later SPD3303X-E. They're the only ones I stock now.....so much more info on the home screen:
https://int.siglent.com/products-overview/spd3000x/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline jimjam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #165 on: June 08, 2020, 11:36:01 pm »
Not worth the effort as the X series PSU's use a LCD display vs LED for the old models.
My 2c is go for the later SPD3303X-E. They're the only ones I stock now.....so much more info on the home screen:
I already have SPD3303D and it has an LCD display

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #166 on: June 08, 2020, 11:55:11 pm »
I already have SPD3303D and it has an LCD display
Ah, OK.
Dunno what to suggest then for a display upgrade/hack.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline djeans

• Contributor
« Reply #167 on: October 03, 2021, 09:56:49 am »
I'm sure anyone who cares has already figured it out, but it's quite trivial to upgrade the 3303D to the S version. Simply open the S version .ugf file in a hex editor (or maybe notepad) and change the 'SPD3303S' header to 'SPD3303D'. (EDIT: Ooops, I had that the other way around...  :-//)

does this really work? Any1 tried and gives the 0.000A accuracy ? And where do I get the S firmware. I was only able to find the D FW.
peace!

Offline Murphy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #168 on: October 14, 2021, 06:21:49 pm »
I couldnt find the firmwares for SPD3303D/SPD3303S anywhere live but archive.org does have them https://web.archive.org/web/20150908094808/http://www.siglentamerica.com/prodcut-gjjrj.aspx?id=175&tid=17&T=2

Just tried the hex edit and successfully flashed the S version of 1.01.01.01.06R2 over the 1.01.01.01.06R1 on an SPD3303D.
Extra digits are there now 🥳, but haven't tested much.

The following users thanked this post: djeans

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf