Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1451808 times)

Offline simook

Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #1950 on: March 19, 2016, 05:46:38 pm »
Hi!

Long time forum lurker and viewer. I'm a software engineer, hardware geek, and hobbyist with hopes to share and collaborate on some of my upcoming projects. The Wife and I recently purchased our first home, so I've been keeping myself busy with all sorts of projects. Is anyone interested in Home Automation? Anyways, I've been a long time tinker of electronics and look forward to learning from the EEVBlog community.

Offline n3vti

• Contributor
« Reply #1951 on: March 20, 2016, 04:36:08 am »
Hello everyone! My name is Chuck; I also go by Chucky. I am in Delaware, USA. I'm an on-and-off electronics enthusiast for over 20 years. By day I work in retail (Cough, *RatShack) I collect timepieces (I have over 200), calculators (Mostly TI), and I am a gamer. I am a ham radio operator, hence my username  :) I also have this thing for linear power supplies. I am looking forward to refining and expanding my knowledge of electronics!

Offline slava

« Reply #1952 on: March 21, 2016, 07:42:04 am »
Hello, I'm Slava. I'm  from Russia. I  electronic engineer and repair master. I have a great experience reparing  Tv, microvave, avto multimedia equipment, power amplifer, car alarm, home computer, laptop and much more, about 20 years. Also i can to develop electronic circuit and change different software.

Offline joe 90

« Reply #1953 on: March 22, 2016, 08:45:06 am »
Hi, I'm Steve from NZ. I stumbled across this site after watching a few topics on Youtube...BTW one of the better channels.
I'm originally Post office trained, used to maintain electromechanical telephone exchanges (strowger) back in the '70s, retrained on crossbar, retrained on NEAX61, retrained on PABX, pretty much all the early electronic ones before deregulation, repaired circuit boards for them, got into TV, VCR, CD, phones,microwave ovens, pretty much everything old tech. Had my own repair shop for 10 years,  it's all throw away now I'm doing more on cars than anything else........kids....cars....electronics......fail.
Working with any sort of technology, you've got to retrain every single day.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 09:05:16 am by joe 90 »

Offline Random Model Maker

• Regular Contributor
  • This profile has been abandoned. I'm now "RedLion"
« Reply #1954 on: March 22, 2016, 11:33:02 pm »
Hello, i'm Ivo, i'm from Luxembourg (what's that?). It's a small, but beautiful and independent country in the heart of Europe. It's the place where the Euro was invented (go figure).
I'm an ongoing (as of 2016) engineer in electronics and information technology (that's just how the germans like to call it, it's actually EE), I study at the KIT in the beautiful city of Karlsruhe (to the fellow KIT-ians: Hi :) ).
I like to work on stuff that generally mustn't be programmed and is not to fiddly and I like most those projects that can potentially kill me.
I'd think of something clever to say, but I got nothing, so I just won't.

Offline reject902

« Reply #1955 on: March 24, 2016, 06:43:54 am »
Hey everyone, Andy from Chicago here. I came across this site a few years back looking for information on scopes, reviews etc.. Never bothered to register then, as I didn't really have much to contribute--just read all the great info here instead.  :-+

Most of the hobby work I'm getting into is electronics, primarily vintage computers. Finally picked up a legit meter (Agilent U1252B) this week to start troubleshooting with a bit more precision some of my problem boards. That said, I have developed a soft spot now for vintage Fluke's (thanks to these forums) and probably will be picking up a 8060A to compliment my old tech.

Looking to *finally* get myself that scope now. Had been putting it off for years (hobbies are never cheap) but I'm going to need one to do some of the adjustments the service manuals call for on some of these machines/peripherals.

Appreciate all the awesome info everyone contributes here! I've learned a lot from these forums and hopefully in the future I'll be able to give something back to the community.

Offline dvdouden

• Contributor
  • 0 != 0!
« Reply #1956 on: March 28, 2016, 12:09:21 pm »
I've been lurking for a while now, thought I'd might as well register and introduce myself. My handle is dvdouden, I'm a software engineer in the banking industry and I'm somewhere in my early thirties. Have been programming for well over half my life now. My passion is in embedded software, preferably 8 bit micros. The second programming language I learned was Z80 assembler. I've worked as a games programmer for about five years as well. Mostly Nintendo DS and Wii games, always working close to the metal.
Anyway, I got introduced to electronics about four years ago, when I got myself an Arduino, and things went downhill from there  ;D Got myself my first scope (Rigol DS1054Z) last Christmas, and a decent multimeter (Fluke 8060A). Currently building myself a small man-cave (more like a man-corner really) where I can hopefully tinker in peace  ;D

Offline stubbs

• Supporter
« Reply #1957 on: March 29, 2016, 02:16:31 pm »
Hello,

I am from Germany. Active Service Eng. in the field for Grove RT and AT Mobil /Auto-cranes.
I love to play with renewable energies and div. electronic efficiencies around the house.
Typical male with many expensive hobbies and toys.... lol

Offline cenkjc

« Reply #1958 on: March 31, 2016, 05:35:35 am »
Hi everyone,

My name is Kevin, known as "Kev".  I did a degree in Electronic Engineering long, long ago (early 1980s).  Haven't worked in the field in almost 25 years, moving instead into the upcoming world of "Computers and stuff" (since "Information Technology" hadn't been invented back then).  I've dabbled as a hobbyist over the years, though.  To misquote, "I love the smell of solder in the morning."

I'm trying, now, to get back into the game - just as a hobbyist - which has moved on soooooo much in the last 30 years.  (and now that I read this back before sending....I realise that I'm ancient!)

I really like Dave's videos.  Informative and entertaining.  Even the classroom stuff with Dave at the whiteboard is nothing like the lectures I sat through (OK...sometimes snoozed through) back in the day.  I must, though, apologise to any of my former lecturers who may be on this forum - it wasn't your fault I snoozed; it depended on amount of beer the night before your lectures.

-Kev

Offline link47

« Reply #1959 on: March 31, 2016, 02:42:30 pm »
Hi all,

Jason from Milwaukee here. I've been working in embedded software for 10 years now, looking for a community to share my ideas on some open source projects.

Offline tri-be

• Supporter
« Reply #1960 on: April 01, 2016, 05:03:43 am »
It's the perfect time to say hello. I'm a long time occasional lurker. I discovered Dave around EEVblog #395.

Last year I had to create a company to support the electronics design consultancy my partner and I started doing, after trying to find an exit from some crappy non-electronics business we were mugged into running (we're still involved with that for now).

We have several projects on the go that I won't go into any detail about (that jinx thing) until one of them reaches a significant success. Some of them are quite big and impressive sounding.

One is an upgrade to the electronics for some medical/scientific scanner technology. Another is for various work related to equipment to detect if your multi-million dollar piece of equipment is falling over.

We're also doing smaller stuff, for example, involving Bluetooth LE. Plus other bits and pieces I have mentally put aside for the moment.

Strictly speaking I have a software background (I was employed writing 3D CAD and "VR" software in the 20th century) but I've always had at least some form of interest in electronics. My partner was in the electronics industry. This seems to be a useful combination.

I still find hobby level stuff interesting.

Offline Gp!

• Contributor
« Reply #1961 on: April 01, 2016, 03:27:19 pm »
HI from Itay !
just an enthusiast, lost my my way in EE for a long time, and watching Dave's blog has brought me back to the true path!
Actually I discovered Dave while researching multi-meter reviews for a purchase (need one to trouble shoot a 2408wfp PS ) ended up buying his recommendation ! Thumbs up!
Good fun and instructive !

Offline ghulands

• Contributor
« Reply #1962 on: April 02, 2016, 12:44:41 am »
Hi,
I'm an Australian living in the US. I'm a Software Engineer doing e-commerce software, but like to dabble with programming embedded systems. Not sure what my intentions will be getting into the hardware side of things. I've been watching lots of youtube videos, trying to build a base knowledge, but think it's now time i start to build some things. I've just bought the Bremen 869S from TME as I've only ever had the cheap $10 DMMs. Also ordered a JBC soldering station (I've had a few Zihua 852D+
s over the years with both of them going bad - still have the last one so i intend to repair it). I'm planning on buying a Rigol DP832 power supply, Rigol Oscope (not sure which one yet), Signal Generator and Electronic load.

Looking forward to the journey ahead.

Greg

Offline Benja

« Reply #1963 on: April 02, 2016, 10:38:59 am »
Hi,

I‘m from Cape Town in South Africa. I am an electronic engineer currently employed as a systems engineer.
I recently started watching the EEVBLOG on youtube and found it very entertaining as well as informative. Also started listening to the AmpHour.

I enjoy tinkering with electronics in my spare time, but of course not as much as I would like to.

Benja

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

Offline lean04

« Reply #1964 on: April 06, 2016, 02:31:17 am »
Hi, i am Leandro from argentina. I am a surgeon and an electronics enthusiast (really enthusiastic!!).

Offline charlieb83

• Contributor
« Reply #1965 on: April 06, 2016, 04:12:27 am »
Hi all, I'm Charlie.  I'm a software programmer that loves to build and design microcontroller based devices.
Love the EEVblog site...I've learned a lot here!

Offline Marzogh

• Contributor
« Reply #1966 on: April 09, 2016, 02:55:25 pm »
Hiya all,

I've been a long time lurker on the EEVBlog forums and have learnt a fair bit from all you guys out there in that time. (It was from a suggestion  I got here that I managed to get my first proper library for the Arduino up and runnings :) )

I'm from Brisbane, Australia and I'm a geneticist who likes to tinker with electronics on the side and build environmental monitoring tools for work. I also like to take on far too many projects for my own good and so (insert shameless plug here :P ), if you guys are interested in anything I'm interested in and would like to join in the fun, you can find all the stuff I work on at www.github.com/Marzogh :).

Cheers!

Praj

Offline razberik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1967 on: April 09, 2016, 11:56:12 pm »
Greetings !

My name is Ondrej, I live in Czech Rep. I have been watching EEVblog couple of years, however, hunger for knowledge and willing for discussion conceived me to register now.
I live in Brno and after my graduation on FEEC BUT I started to work for local company involved in electron microscopy. It is not difficult to guess which one, because Brno is the city on Earth with the highest number of electron microscopy manufacturers. There are two ! And I don't work for the american company.

I am interested in general electronics design in some signal maneur, however, I am involved in some DC DC converters design in work now. Just as a newbie for the company.

Regards, Ondrej
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:01:50 am by razberik »

Offline sosuke

« Reply #1968 on: April 10, 2016, 05:03:33 pm »
Hi everyone. Long time lurker here. Been programming since I was a kid. Always had a certain fascination with electronics but never really got into it. Hoping to correct that by working through AoE.
“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.” -Richard Feynman
“I'm smart enough to know that I'm dumb.” -Richard Feynman

Offline ianxtreem

• Contributor
« Reply #1969 on: April 10, 2016, 05:23:43 pm »
Hello everyone.   I am a almost retired EE, who hasn't done much EE in a very long time.  Going to fix that.  :)

Ian

Offline rado

« Reply #1970 on: April 11, 2016, 09:23:56 pm »
Hey everyone! I just ran into Dave's videos recently while searching for DMM reviews online - searching around to replace my old "el cheapo" bought years ago as a student. That pointed me to the forums. While I studied electrical engineering, I've been into software development for many years now, but I still like to play with microcontrollers and stuff from time to time. I guess that's about it. :-DMM

Offline ArdRhi

• Contributor
    • Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time
« Reply #1971 on: April 12, 2016, 02:53:18 am »
Hi everyone!

I did a delurk a couple of days ago on a different thread, but I'll pop one in here as well.

I'm Gwen, my amateur call sign is NG3P (yes, it's a vanity call  ;D ), and I've been fiddling with electronics since I was a wee sprout. I'm several kinds of geek. I have a webcomic online, I collect vintage slide rules, have been in Second Life for around 8 years, and broke my neck in 2006, which effectively benched me. I do my best to keep busy with constant chronic pain and limited mobility, and can still hold a soldering iron steady enough for fine work...though I do have to take more frequent rest breaks these days.

I learned about EEVBLOG from a mention on Mr. Carlson's Lab on Youtube. I checked it out, and the rest, as they say, is history.  At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Gwen, NG3P                   Author, Cartoonist, Hobbyist
Valley Forge, PA area

Offline tek465

« Reply #1972 on: April 12, 2016, 10:46:43 pm »
HI all, new member here as well..   I'm a seasoned systems engineer working for a large storage company with experience with Linux, Unix, Solaris AIX and Oracle DB and of course windows.  Besides the OS's i work with a various storage systems and system platforms handling connectivity via FC switches as we develop products and product software.  But now I have this desire to learn electronics and analog circuit design as a hobby and so i have been spending my non working time learning as well as getting my hands on some actual projects...  As for projects?

I just acquired my first scope a couple months ago, a tek465 (which is why i chose it as my username).  Cleaned it, took it apart and got it in decent running order.  Soon after i got the 465 I had to get another so now i own a tek 2246 and find myself just hooked on oscilloscopes, I'm sure many of you know what i mean.  When instance, when I heard there was a tek type 502 in the movie terminator salvation i just HAD to flip on the bluray and see it for myself.. 

My second project is a 1988 fender twin reverb (red knob evil twin) that is not working 100% which I am currently troubleshooting.  It's actually one i bought in 1988 as a teen but over the years its fallen by the wayside.  Along with that I am considering modding my current amp and feel the knowledge learned here will greatly help in that endeavor. Funny how once you start getting into this hobby you start seeing everything as a potential project.  Just today a co-worker of mine mentioned he has a receiver that is having problems and so we found the service manual and I started going over it.   :-DD 

Anyway, I hope to see you all on the forums and although i will be absorbing more in the beginning, I hope that will start to change as I study and perform more hands on work.
thanks for the great forum and people here!

-t4

Offline SimonR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1973 on: April 13, 2016, 09:14:18 pm »
Hi

My names Simon, I'm an electronic/software enginner in Hertfordshire in the UK. I first encounered Dave tearing down the worlds most expensive hard disk. I looked in occasionally after that and then gradually got sucked in so I thought it was about time I joined the forum.

I graduated in Electronic Engineering in 1987 and amongst others I have worked for Stag Programmers, Artimi on Wireless USB, and an electronics consulatncy. I am now self employed the same kind of things.

Sadly I also do this as a hobby, although I do actually do other things but this seems to be mostly dog training at the moment.

I now mostly do embedded software having leared from the very best while at Artimi, but I still dabble in electronics from time to time.

Simon

The following users thanked this post: MetallChips85

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #1974 on: April 14, 2016, 02:44:05 am »
Hi

My names Simon, I'm an electronic/software enginner in Hertfordshire in the UK. I first encounered Dave tearing down the worlds most expensive hard disk. I looked in occasionally after that and then gradually got sucked in so I thought it was about time I joined the forum.

I graduated in Electronic Engineering in 1987 and amongst others I have worked for Stag Programmers, Artimi on Wireless USB, and an electronics consulatncy. I am now self employed the same kind of things.

Sadly I also do this as a hobby, although I do actually do other things but this seems to be mostly dog training at the moment.

I now mostly do embedded software having leared from the very best while at Artimi, but I still dabble in electronics from time to time.

Simon

Hi Simon - welcome to the most fun you can have in an electronics forum. Are you available as a freelancer? I have a project trying to start mid-late summer.......
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf