Author Topic: Vion: The World's Silliest Multimeter  (Read 74892 times)

Offline Muttley SnickersTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
Re: Vion: The World's Silliest Multimeter
« Reply #175 on: April 23, 2019, 01:13:05 pm »
Vion Update #28_23/04/19
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1441579202/the-worlds-simplest-bluetooth-multimeter/updates

In Summary
They have just stated on Kickstarter that shipping of the Vion multimeters will commence at the end of this week, hopefully some user reviews will soon follow, lest we forget.   :o ::)

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #176 on: April 23, 2019, 04:40:42 pm »
They have just stated on Kickstarter that shipping of the Vion multimeters will commence at the end of this week

And as of today, the most recent backer comment on Kickstarter is:
I don't believe it yet
::)

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #177 on: April 23, 2019, 06:46:07 pm »
hopefully some user reviews will soon follow

*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #178 on: May 09, 2019, 05:59:49 am »
Well, there is another delay (surprised?). Now there are problems with fake components from China. The new story obviously makes no logical sense.

Looks like they are running out of viable lies. So let's all chip in a bit. I think "warehouse burned down" is the next logical step.

But people in the comments are all supportive. Stockholm syndrome is strong with them.

I just noticed that they only scammed out ~$200K. Why do they even bother replying at this point?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 06:08:03 am by ataradov »
Alex

Offline JackJones

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #179 on: May 09, 2019, 07:26:02 am »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1441579202/the-worlds-simplest-bluetooth-multimeter/posts/2502776

9260 parts were ordered via AliExpress, 9360 were ordered from a different vendor and have been functioning properly

Ordering your components from AliExpress is never a good sign!

They did post pictures of the damage, it looks like some resistors were burned.

I guess the transistors failed short and cooked the resistors? The larger one is connected to the collector of a high voltage PNP. I'm not sure what they're switching and why it would cause damage to the resistors though, would love to see a schematic.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 07:28:10 am by JackJones »

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #180 on: May 09, 2019, 07:29:24 am »
I guess the transistors failed short and cooked the resistors?
No need to guess, they just fried a random resistor to get a picture to justify another delay.

What is the scenario in which you find out this bug in already packaged product sitting in the shipper's warehouse?

Presumably all devices passed the test before being packaged.
Alex

Offline JackJones

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #181 on: May 09, 2019, 07:37:43 am »
I wouldn't be surprised if that were true.

The transistor on the lower right hand picture looks pretty crusty. Almost like it has been handsoldered, compared to the one on the left. It doesn't seem to be sitting quite straight either..

• Supporter
« Reply #182 on: May 10, 2019, 12:56:04 am »
They stated back in the February update that the Vion case is "fusion bonded", I hope they have some non-destructive means to open every housing, repair the faults and stick the thing back together in accordance with the certification.   :palm:

Update #25 Extract
"1.Progress Report
1-1. FCC, J-MIC Certification Complete
1-2. CE Receipt of Certification
1-3. Mold Modification : Vion is fusion bonded according to CE certification standard. The CE certification agency in Korea has revised the mold (6th grade) under the condition that 'the product side should be 100% bonded.
"

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #183 on: May 10, 2019, 06:27:32 am »
Wow, that's even worse POS design than expected. Are those the input resistors that are a millimeter or less away from that metal button and it's contacts (on the LV side)? :scared: No way this actually passed any certs if that's the case.

Of coarse they got fake components now (not like it already wasn't just a toy made from back-ally junk), they are idiots and just keep bumbling around having fun munching money while having no real clue about anything. Meanwhile the Darwin candidates are throwing the money at them. :palm:

*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #184 on: May 10, 2019, 06:42:57 am »
In Summary
They have just stated on Kickstarter that shipping of the Vion multimeters will commence at the end of this week, hopefully some user reviews will soon follow, lest we forget.   :o ::)

Please tell me someone on here ordered one just for kicks  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Yansi, tooki

• Supporter
Re: Vion : The Worlds Silliest Multimeter
« Reply #185 on: May 10, 2019, 07:07:50 am »

For those who are interested in getting one of these gadgets they were flogging them on Indiegogo as well at one point, I don't know if it is still the case.   :-BROKE

Indiegogo Campaign
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/vion-auto-detection-l-bluetooth-l-smart-multimeter#/

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #186 on: May 10, 2019, 07:25:19 am »
Are those the input resistors that are a millimeter or less away from that metal button and it's contacts (on the LV side)? :scared: No way this actually passed any certs if that's the case.

The switch is probably actuated via a plastic button (don't know with this, but that's what happens on some mains plugs with smarts). That would keep the user away from danger, so wouldn't that pass certification?

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #187 on: May 10, 2019, 07:42:06 am »
https://www.gofundme.com/vion-the-worlds-silliest-multimeter

Because I think we want all want to know :-DD

Four Pack to be ordered when the target hits $100 as I am not made of money but I will pickup the balance from there if there is a shortfall all in the interests of knowledge and a giggle.

Please forgive me Universe for supporting them......  :palm:

Dave and Joe can do with them as they like, give them away use them as garden stakes feed into an industrial shredder or whatever. The reason for a pair each is it will take destructive means to peek under the hood.

No I am not in NZ and can't seem to be able to change it  :-//
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 07:45:35 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Supporter
« Reply #188 on: May 10, 2019, 10:21:47 am »
Dave and Joe can do with them as they like, give them away use them as garden stakes feed into an industrial shredder or whatever. The reason for a pair each is it will take destructive means to peek under the hood.
Based on their prior history of not keeping to a promised schedule I suspect we will have plenty of time to save up and contribute to the cause. Also, I remember Joe saying that he doesn't use or own a smart phone which could be a problem if function testing of this gadget is required.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #189 on: May 10, 2019, 10:25:41 am »
Based on their prior history of delays and not keeping to a promised schedule I suspect we will have plenty of time to save up and contribute to the cause. Also, I remember Joe saying that he doesn't use or own a smart phone which could be a problem for function testing this gadget.

I will drop Joe a PM. Just an idea to spread the fun around and he is appropriate as I am sure he can make smoke come out with ease ;) Even if he doesn't take it on the meters can be sent around to others interested as I have allowed a few $ for freighting. Any excess funds raised should be spent on Chocolate for Dave just because.

Jumping in the Idegogo campaign may yield meters by Christmas but which year may be the question >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #190 on: May 10, 2019, 02:45:04 pm »
Are those the input resistors that are a millimeter or less away from that metal button and it's contacts (on the LV side)? :scared: No way this actually passed any certs if that's the case.

The switch is probably actuated via a plastic button (don't know with this, but that's what happens on some mains plugs with smarts). That would keep the user away from danger, so wouldn't that pass certification?

Small plasitic button between you and potentially 480V three phase mains (or whatever dinguses stick it into). Also, if it arcs over and shorts out internally, the arc flash would cause it to explode just like cheap dollar Chinese meters though worse due to it's pencil probe shape (much higher chance of hand loss). :-BROKE It could also be a button to ground so connected to the USB port.

Plus, did you see their horrid excuse for a fuse holder earlier? Oh hell no...as bean said, shock hazard. :scared:

EDIT: And smart sockets should have the HV and LV properly isolated.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 02:46:51 pm by Cyberdragon »
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #191 on: May 10, 2019, 08:03:06 pm »

I only backed for $1 as I really didn't want one of these but wanted to watch the train wreck.

I've left a comment asking about the "100% bonding" and how that is going to affect this rework.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #192 on: May 22, 2019, 09:53:53 pm »
Well, it looks like they have missed their new deadline, and it looks like it is time for them to grab the money (whatever is left) and run.
Alex

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #193 on: May 22, 2019, 10:35:56 pm »
Well, it looks like they have missed their new deadline, and it looks like it is time for them to grab the money (whatever is left) and run.

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #194 on: June 12, 2019, 02:42:05 am »
In the latest update they say they will start shipping again this week (a year late), but they've pretty much given up on a bunch of functionality...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1441579202/the-worlds-simplest-bluetooth-multimeter/posts/2502781
We took a gamble on upgrading the product as much as possible before sending out the rewards. However, after additional tests and experiments we have found the performance and accuracy of Vion is lower than it was initially.

If you find this to be unacceptable, then we will issue you a full refund. Please email to help@vionlab.com for the refund.

1) The maximum measurement of AC volt is up to 380V, not 500V.

2) Capacitor, inductor, diode test function and 1.5V, 3V voltage output are not available.

3. The Vion App is unstable and will be corrected soon (takes about 1 month)

1) If you do not reconnect after using a one time connection in the app, please close it completely and try again.

2) Some of the features on the iOS version are not functioning properly

3) The option menu of scope and storage function will be reinforced.

(Interesting numbering system they use in their list. I presume the second set of 3 items are sub-points of the first item 3.)

As you'd expect, lots of backers want refunds.  I wonder how that will work out...  I've seen before that Paypal doesn't work for this (they often block the Paypal account), Kickstarter can't help with refunds this late after the campaign, and most other international money transfer methods are too complex/costly.

The following users thanked this post: Muttley Snickers

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #195 on: June 12, 2019, 05:00:14 am »
In the latest update they say they will start shipping again this week (a year late), but they've pretty much given up on a bunch of functionality...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1441579202/the-worlds-simplest-bluetooth-multimeter/posts/2502781
We took a gamble on upgrading the product as much as possible before sending out the rewards. However, after additional tests and experiments we have found the performance and accuracy of Vion is lower than it was initially.

If you find this to be unacceptable, then we will issue you a full refund. Please email to help@vionlab.com for the refund.

1) The maximum measurement of AC volt is up to 380V, not 500V.

2) Capacitor, inductor, diode test function and 1.5V, 3V voltage output are not available.

3. The Vion App is unstable and will be corrected soon (takes about 1 month)

1) If you do not reconnect after using a one time connection in the app, please close it completely and try again.

2) Some of the features on the iOS version are not functioning properly

3) The option menu of scope and storage function will be reinforced.

Wow, impressive list!
So it basically doesn't practically work is what they are saying.
Anyone who doesn't get a refund is a fool.

Offline ruffy91

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #196 on: June 12, 2019, 05:12:05 am »
This is a Kickstarter campaign, not a preorder.. So if you spent money you trusted them to deliver what they promised.
The money collected wasn't for the finished product but for them so they could try to do what they promised.

Gesendet von meinem MI 9 mit Tapatalk

• Supporter
« Reply #197 on: June 12, 2019, 05:16:38 am »
Based on their recent admission this thread will now be moved to the Dodgy Products section where it probably belonged all along.   :-BROKE
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 11:41:42 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #198 on: June 12, 2019, 06:53:34 am »
Same update in IGG as well. No backer responses yet.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/vion-auto-detection-l-bluetooth-l-smart-multimeter#/

The thing is, most people back these things and forget all about it and don't read updates. You can seriously just refund the dozens that see the update and want refunds and then just pocket a good lot of the money. I'm surprised they are even going to bother to ship any (though they haven't actually shipped them yet), they know the product doesn't really do what they intended.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #199 on: June 12, 2019, 06:58:05 am »
As you'd expect, lots of backers want refunds.  I wonder how that will work out...  I've seen before that Paypal doesn't work for this (they often block the Paypal account), Kickstarter can't help with refunds this late after the campaign, and most other international money transfer methods are too complex/costly.

IIRC there was no limit on when I could refund people for the 121GW meter, and I had to for shipments that didn't make it, I think some were a year later that I refunded them.
Only problem was if their credit card had changed then it failed and I had to do it manually via PayPal.

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf