Author Topic: Hantek 6022BE 20MHz USB DSO  (Read 855447 times)

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
Re: Hantek 6022BE 20MHz USB DSO
« Reply #425 on: March 07, 2014, 09:54:00 pm »
I have tried to do some further work on the user manual for RichardK's OPEN6022BE. This is only the part that describes the use of the menu items. There are some items I am not clear on, due to my limited and very rusty experience with oscilloscopes. Those are in red and I will appreciate any feedback, especially some help with describing those functions still pending.
The Document is in .docx format.

Thanks in advance.

Download: http://jmp.sh/q0RHv19

Nice work so far. If I have time this weekend I will import some pictures and do a bit of editing on of my own.

As for the clear function see my post here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-6022be-20mhz-usb-dso/msg396515/#msg396515

I requested the clear function.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #426 on: March 08, 2014, 07:50:08 am »
PedroDaGr8,
                    Thanks! That will help me a lot. I was intending to do the user manual in 3 parts and them merge them into one document when completed. I have
already have semi-revised the introductory part for the user manual. The final part will consist of actual step by step guides to do certain tests with the 6022BE.
Much appreciated

Regards
Matchless

Offline effbiae

« Reply #427 on: March 08, 2014, 03:22:22 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I'm expecting delivery of my 6022 early next week - and I'm even more excited now, reading this thread.  I knew what I was getting into with the 6022 - I did my research - for the money, this scope is value.  I'm looking at audio frequency (maybe a little higher), so the hardware should do the job.

I started down the soundcard oscilloscope road, but I don't recommend that (even though you would think it would be ideal for the audio range).

Thanks to those modding the hardware and hacking on software.  I'm mostly a software developer, so RichardK, let me know if you'd like any help. 

Thanks,
Jack.

Offline RichardK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #428 on: March 08, 2014, 06:26:34 pm »
Latest Binary: http://jmp.sh/h2xSceX

What's New:
-----------------------------------------------------------
1. Fixed a race condition which might cause random hangs.
2. Fixed a bug in the grid brightness dialog which caused part of the slider range to have no
   effect on brightness.
3. Made Horizontal and Vertical Knobs "position-clickable" (click to set position).
4. Implemented loop timeouts to prevent infinite loops in Multithread Lock code (Hang prevention).
5. Fixed a bug where disabling the Math Channel could cause a hang.
6. Added detailed Calibration Failure error messages.
7. Made waves continuously draw in Phosphor mode when Acquire stopped (To prevent smearing).
8. Added a Clear option to the Display menu which will clear the screen (good for Phosphor mode).
9. Added a Reset Interactive option to the Cursors Menu which reset the Interactive Cursor positions
   to their default locations.
10. Overhauled Rendering code, much easier to read and performance increased.
11. Fixed a few Dialog typos.
12. Fixed some Menu/Toolbar label inconsistencies.
13. Fixed some Trigger issues.
14. Trigger Single Shot mode now shows last captured waveforms while waiting for trigger, instead of
   not showing any waveforms at all.
15. Changed rendering so only Waveform's and FFT are effected by Digital Phosphor mode (Not cursors,
   text, etc...).
16. Fixed some Menu/Toolbar checkbox issues.
17. Made selecting either of the three different Line Cursor Modes enable Line Cursors if Line Cursors
   are not already enabled.
18. Added Pure Square waves (Generated from Sine Waves) to Demo Mode & Function Generator.
19. Disabled Horizontal noise for Artificial Square Waves (it's not supported).
20. Improved FFT performance when using a Window Function (precalculated window functions).
21. Added Sweep Controls to Demo Mode (sweep any demo mode property).

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #429 on: March 09, 2014, 03:09:27 am »

What's New:

Wow!  That's a pretty massive update.  Excellent!

14. Trigger Single Shot mode now shows last captured waveforms while waiting for trigger, instead of
   not showing any waveforms at all.

While in general I think that this 'preserve until replaced' strategy is superior, I can think of some cases where this may not be the preferred choice.  Just a thought.

Offline RichardK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #430 on: March 09, 2014, 03:19:37 am »
Wow!  That's a pretty massive update.  Excellent!

I'm tying up all the loose ends and fixing minor things here and there, so the changelog tends to get bloated at this stage.

While in general I think that this 'preserve until replaced' strategy is superior, I can think of some cases where this may not be the preferred choice.  Just a thought.

I'm mirroring the stock software for now, later on I'll look at some alternative ideas.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #431 on: March 09, 2014, 03:53:06 am »
@RichardK

When clicking on the measurement checkboxes it would be nice if the pane that shows the actual measurement opened up far enough to see the first measurement and perhaps half of the second. That would give the user a visual indication that he may have to adjust the pane to see all the measurements selected selected.

It's really looking good, congrats. I honestly have no need for one of these but ordered one just so I could see how it works with the software. Who knows, maybe I'll use it all the time.

Offline RichardK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #432 on: March 09, 2014, 04:03:48 am »
@RichardK

When clicking on the measurement checkboxes it would be nice if the pane that shows the actual measurement opened up far enough to see the first measurement and perhaps half of the second. That would give the user a visual indication that he may have to adjust the pane to see all the measurements selected selected.

Done.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #433 on: March 09, 2014, 04:15:17 am »

What's New:
-----------------------------------------------------------
1. Fixed a race condition which might cause random hangs.

Wow, quite a list of bug fix and enhancements.  I look forward to trying it.  I have some problem at my house, I cannot get to my bench and my PC is down...

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #434 on: March 09, 2014, 05:21:10 am »
Problem, part of waveform remaining after change in sig gen (demo mode). It's repeatable on my pc.

Here is what I did.

Demo mode sig gen
Sine on ch1 Square on Ch 2

Exported ch1 txt (no prob)
Exported ch2 txt (no prob)

Exported ch1 and ch2 (I assume this is incomplete/ in progress because there isn't any info in the txt file identifying ch2)

I changed ch2 on the sig gen to a flat line.

--- This is the issue ---
Exported ch2 and found the remainder of the previous square wave at the end (see screenshot) was in the exported txt as well.

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #435 on: March 09, 2014, 08:58:40 am »
RichardK,
              Wow! You have really done a lot since the last release! Excellent!

The cursor line performance seems to be working very well now!

The clickable knobs are also working well.

The Scale item you added to the Display grid menu earlier, is that to enable or disable the grid or is it meant to open a scaling (size) menu for the grid?

The default window size when opening the program hides the CH2 controls and needs to be pulled down every time to see them. The OEM does not do this. It can be a bit irritating at times.

I assume Autoset is still on your pending list, just noticed that Autoset on the OEM also sets the trigger pointer to the middle of the waveform amplitude in addition to selecting best Volt/Div and best Time/Div for input. If you use the Autoset on OPEN6022BE a few times after each other you get a different Volt/Div setting every time for the same waveform.

The Zoom feature is excellent and I can step it in and out very nicely.
When zooming in the display disappears after step 19. If I keep on zooming in more than 19 times the counter can be incremented indefinitely (I took it over 100) without any further displays being shown.
When zooming out I can carry on indefinitely (I went up to step 200). Display was there all along.
Would it be possible to add a visual horizontal left and right scroll line with 100% in the centre to replace the zoom counter next to the program name. Present clicking  then remains for fine zoom and scroll line can be used to drag zoom point which will be a bit coarser? Maybe place above controls? The counter next to the program name is a funny place for a counter IMHO.

You are doing an outstanding job!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 12:04:16 pm by Matchless »
Regards
Matchless

Offline roderick

• Contributor
    • Small Projects
« Reply #436 on: March 09, 2014, 06:33:31 pm »
RichardK,

I can't think of a unique way to add to the mountain of thanks posted here for your work, so I'll simply say :clapping: again.

One thing I noticed in release beta17 was that if I change from a 1x to 10x probe in the GUI on the right, then look at the dropdown menu, the 1x is still checked in the dropdown.  In fact, if I change from 1x to 10x in the dropdown, the check remains on the 1x entry when I return to that menu, and there is no effect on the GUI value.  Ideally, the GUI and dropdown would be linked so that a change in one affects the other.

I also noticed that if I change the probe value while an autotrigger trace is presently running, there is no effect on the trace until I stop and restart the trace.  It's not terribly important, as I wouldn't plan to swap probes in real life while a trace is running, but note the inconsistency, as updating either time or volts per division while a trace is running does have an immediate effect.

I only tried CH1 for the above, but maybe CH2 would be affected, too?

The "export image to BMP" is a feature I use often.  If I could add to the wish list, I would want the exported image to show the text also, like the stock software does.  The most important part is the time/DIV and volts/DIV, but if everything was exported, never know what would be useful to someone.  This is not a high priority, as I can actually do a screen capture from Windows itself if necessary.

In dragging the horizontal line cursor, I noticed that the voltage difference is always displayed as a positive value.  This could actually be a good thing, because as a user, I can tell from observation which is the higher and lower voltage, and there is no need to put a minus sign in front of a negative value.

Matchless,

Thanks for doing the documentation!  Sooner or later, every one of us looks up things in the documentation, so it's important.  I'm not finished reading through the whole thing, but here are a few observations.

1) I'm guessing that your English is British English, so a word like "colour" would be correct.  Possibly "curser" is correct, also, but to me (I live in the USA) that's a person who uses crass language.  "cursor" would be my spelling.

2) There is a section 6.c.c describing the behavior of the cross cursor.  That sounds great.  But just after that, 6.c.d says that the vertical line cursor displays "time, frequency, and voltage," when in fact, it only displays time and frequency.  Similarly in 6.c.e, the horizontal line cursor only displays voltage, not all three.

3) In 7.a.i.1, I would suggest using the term "Phosphor Persistence" to be consistent with the naming in 7.a.i.2 immediately following.

Best Regards,
  Roderick.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #437 on: March 09, 2014, 07:15:33 pm »
@RichardK

The waveform markers would be a good place to allow voltage adjustment via the scrollwheel when you mouseover them. That would allow the imported and math traces to be adjusted without going through the menus. The tooltip that shows CH1, CH2, reference, math could also show the voltage setting.

The main use would be adjustment while in full screen and import/math setup.

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #438 on: March 09, 2014, 07:51:42 pm »
Matchless,

Thanks for doing the documentation!  Sooner or later, every one of us looks up things in the documentation, so it's important.  I'm not finished reading through the whole thing, but here are a few observations.

1) I'm guessing that your English is British English, so a word like "colour" would be correct.  Possibly "curser" is correct, also, but to me (I live in the USA) that's a person who uses crass language.  "cursor" would be my spelling.

2) There is a section 6.c.c describing the behavior of the cross cursor.  That sounds great.  But just after that, 6.c.d says that the vertical line cursor displays "time, frequency, and voltage," when in fact, it only displays time and frequency.  Similarly in 6.c.e, the horizontal line cursor only displays voltage, not all three.

3) In 7.a.i.1, I would suggest using the term "Phosphor Persistence" to be consistent with the naming in 7.a.i.2 immediately following.

Best Regards,
  Roderick.

Roderick,
             Thanks for the feedback, I have done the corrections. Changed to USA English for color and fixed the spelling of cursor (curser is probably someone who curses a lot!)
Fixed up the behavior measurements of the cursor.

The Render Phosphor is as the menu is at the moment. If RichardK reads this and changes "Phosphor" to "Phosphor Persistence" after clicking on Render I can change that as well. Good suggestion thanks!

Please pass on any further feedback. I have broken the manual up into 5 parts and as a part is as complete as my limited knowledge allows, I will post it and hope for some input from the users such as yourself for corrections additions and suggestions.
Thanks again.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:54:29 pm by Matchless »
Regards
Matchless

Offline RichardK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #439 on: March 09, 2014, 10:05:31 pm »
One thing I noticed in release beta17 was that if I change from a 1x to 10x probe in the GUI on the right, then look at the dropdown menu, the 1x is still checked in the dropdown.  In fact, if I change from 1x to 10x in the dropdown, the check remains on the 1x entry when I return to that menu, and there is no effect on the GUI value.  Ideally, the GUI and dropdown would be linked so that a change in one affects the other.

Yikes apparently I never implemented those and nobody noticed until now... Just implemented that now so will be fixed in next release.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #440 on: March 09, 2014, 10:39:02 pm »
@RichardK

Import / Export, having the ability to change the txt exported/imported data acquisition rate would make the waveforms much more compatible with other gear.

Offline RichardK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #441 on: March 10, 2014, 12:13:32 am »
Problem, part of waveform remaining after change in sig gen (demo mode). It's repeatable on my pc.

Here is what I did.

Demo mode sig gen
Sine on ch1 Square on Ch 2

Exported ch1 txt (no prob)
Exported ch2 txt (no prob)

Exported ch1 and ch2 (I assume this is incomplete/ in progress because there isn't any info in the txt file identifying ch2)

I changed ch2 on the sig gen to a flat line.

--- This is the issue ---
Exported ch2 and found the remainder of the previous square wave at the end (see screenshot) was in the exported txt as well.

So far, exporting only works on the first selected source... Except for images.

As for the channel's not clearing all the way, should be fixed in next release.

Offline RichardK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #442 on: March 10, 2014, 12:16:31 am »
@RichardK

Import / Export, having the ability to change the txt exported/imported data acquisition rate would make the waveforms much more compatible with other gear.

Not sure I follow, what do you mean by changing the acquisition rate? It cannot be changed after it's already exported without heavy interpolation, as for changing it before it's exported, just change the timebase before you export.

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #443 on: March 10, 2014, 08:27:19 pm »
I have tried to display the Lissajous pattern in demo mode and setting the phase offset to O degrees on one channel in XY mode shows correctly as well as the 45 degrees offset, but the 90 degrees offset does not seem to be correct, looks more like 135 degrees to me?
Waveform 1 marker also stays horizontal, but in the OEM software it jumps to the top of the graticule to show vertical when XY mode is selected.
Am I doing something wrong here?

Regards
Matchless

Offline RichardK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #444 on: March 10, 2014, 08:41:21 pm »
I have tried to display the Lissajous pattern in demo mode and setting the phase offset to O degrees on one channel in XY mode shows correctly as well as the 45 degrees offset, but the 90 degrees offset does not seem to be correct, looks more like 135 degrees to me?
Waveform 1 marker also stays horizontal, but in the OEM software it jumps to the top of the graticule to show vertical when XY mode is selected.
Am I doing something wrong here?

The offset units are not in degrees (they are in radians, but I'll be changing them later to degrees) and ill be moving the other lever to the top in a future release.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 08:48:34 pm by RichardK »

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #445 on: March 11, 2014, 05:22:19 pm »
Thanks RichardK!
If people use radians, maybe an option, radians or degrees?

Regards
Matchless

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #446 on: March 12, 2014, 07:55:32 am »
@richardk

Hey Richard, Sorry I wasn't ignoring you. I'm retired, but an old customer talked me in to helping him out for a few days.

Anyway here is some info you may find interesting, or may already know?

Most bench DSO's support csv's directly. The format varies widely but basically you will have the following.

Headers will often include date time instrument settings and sample width or samples per second and total number of samples. In real life this varies greatly.

Body format single trace. Most scopes have the ability to output acquisition time and number information but it's not always clear how to accomplish it.

acquisition time, voltage
acquisition number, voltage
voltage

Body format multiple trace.

acquisition time, voltage, acquisition time, voltage (acquisition time will vary depends on channel sharing)
acquisition number, voltage, voltage
voltage, voltage

So here are a couple of scenarios for csv's

- Exporting a csv for use in excel. Acquisition time is very useful. If number is used then duration of the sample should be in the header.
- Exporting a csv for use in a bench DSO. This relies heavily on header information and the record length of the body. My routine was to used an existing header, paste in a body then count the number of records. I would never attempt to add that type of functionality. Way too much grief.
- Importing a waveform from a DSO. If you have two columns the second will be the voltage. If the first is time you could load accordingly. If the first is a sample/record number then you will need to know what amount of time each datapoint represents. That could be included in the header but I'd suggest asking the user. If there are not enough records just fill with zeros and leave at that. If there are too many records just load what you can. Although you could interpolate datapoints while loading I do not think it would be an issue to use the last record value until you arrive at a change or to skip / average multiple points.
- Importing a waveform from a program. Ltspice output (for example) is acquisition time voltage and on and on (I didn't check the separator). You could load in the same way as a DSO or read through the body to calculate the time that each datapoint covers. Ideally you would be able to time shift this type waveform after it has been loaded. In any case this would probably be the most used feature. Being able match simulated waveforms with a realworld design kinda neat.

My thoughts csv would be

Multi trace output in any format you like.
Single trace reference load which skips the header if not Hantek and asks or has a place to input the datapoint duration.
Possibly allow the user to select the voltage column

I'm not sure about multi trace load but would probably not allow it unless the header math information matches the Hantek. Mainly that is because the math trace needs the math information to be displayed correctly. This is supported in the native save.

If the csv has more than 1 column then column 2 is probably voltage

I've added a few csv's for you to look at. The siglent is to show you variants from the same scope.

Please feel free to discard anything I say.

Offline rexnanet

« Reply #447 on: March 14, 2014, 01:38:38 pm »
Mine just arrived!!!!! :D
Let the modding begin!! (when there's some time for it.. :S )

My first impression: horrible (or non existing at all) trigger...
I plugged both channels to the internal square wave generator to calibrate the probes and in both cases it can't trigger properly!
Is it due to the low voltage wave letting the noise mess with the trigger? Some say that it triggers ok... I'll have to check with some other signal source. But not very pleased with this... :(

I'm mirroring the stock software for now, later on I'll look at some alternative ideas.

I have some Agilent high end DSO's at my work and in this case they don't display the last capture. This allows us to know if there was a new trigger or not... Although it can be more of a preference issue. Maybe there could be an option somewhere to choose between both aproaches...

By the way, again:
Excelent work! :)

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #448 on: March 15, 2014, 08:34:05 am »
Here is the latest basic user manual for Open6022be:
http://jmp.sh/f8DTgQZ

It still needs a lot of work and some pictures to be added. If anyone has any inputs, corrections etc please pass on to me and I can update it.
It is in .docx format and if you enable View of the Navigation pane you will have a nice Table of contents on the left side for jumping around.
Regards
Matchless

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #449 on: March 15, 2014, 10:34:52 am »
If anyone has any inputs, corrections etc please pass on to me and I can update it.

The title page says "Soware", and I suspect you meant Software?

EDIT:  There are also misspellings of application, specification, calibration, functions, etc. so I'm wondering if some characters just aren't rendering properly for me?  Software is showing as soware everywhere, and I doubt you got that wrong more than once.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 10:38:43 am by Mark_O »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf