Author Topic: I tried a Mac for video editing...  (Read 171302 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: I tried a Mac for video editing...
« Reply #375 on: April 25, 2013, 09:26:35 am »
With the integrated graphics (HD 4000), power consumption is 50W in idle mode, 70W during video editing/playback, and 140W during rendering in Sony which pegs all 8 cores at about 90%

CPU temp is 45C after 8 minutes of rendering, at 1200rpm CPU fan speed. (Coolermaster EVo 212 heatsink)
Can barely hear it, almost ambient noise level.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:30:24 am by EEVblog »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #376 on: April 25, 2013, 09:31:40 am »
Whats tha error? Software issue, or something hardware not seem right?

Unknown software error in Sony.
I strongly suspect it's a video driver conflict. I've seen this before with a dodgy ATI driver.
Will have to install the Radeon card and try that.

Offline Toque

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #377 on: April 25, 2013, 09:32:11 am »
With the integrated graphics (HD 4000), power consumption is 50W in idle mode, 70W during video editing/playback, and 140W during rendering in Sony which pegs all 8 cores at about 90%

CPU temp is 45C after 8 minutes of rendering, at 1200rpm CPU fan speed. (Coolermaster EVo 212 heatsink)
Can barely hear it, almost ambient noise level.
Right on, if u dont clock over like 4.3ghz, u should be able to stay aomthing like under 60-65c I think.. 4.3ghz is pretty easy on that cpu.. Considering its turbo is 3.9ghz, tha idea is to get all cores running at 4.3ghz, which turbo doesnt do..
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:34:06 am by Toque »

Offline Toque

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #378 on: April 25, 2013, 09:37:59 am »
Whats tha error? Software issue, or something hardware not seem right?

Unknown software error in Sony.
I strongly suspect it's a video driver conflict. I've seen this before with a dodgy ATI driver.
Will have to install the Radeon card and try that.

If u want to trash it abit and see if its stable in general, try OCCT.. http://www.ocbase.com/, if u can run 30 minutes of each test on that without tha test stopping at all, your prob good hardware wise, any other problems would be software/driver related.. Mind u that test doesnt cover doggy storage subsystems of course, but u know what I mean..
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:40:32 am by Toque »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #379 on: April 25, 2013, 09:40:36 am »
Core temp varies depending upon which program I use. Teh officia ASUS one shows 47C, but CoreTemp shows over 70C
Heatsink is barely warm to the touch after 25min.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:46:05 am by EEVblog »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #380 on: April 25, 2013, 09:42:00 am »
Right on, if u dont clock over like 4.3ghz, u should be able to stay aomthing like under 60-65c I think.. 4.3ghz is pretty easy on that cpu.. Considering its turbo is 3.9ghz, tha idea is to get all cores running at 4.3ghz, which turbo doesnt do..

I am not overclocking, just stock 3.5GHz, and peaks at 4.18GHz
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:43:38 am by EEVblog »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #381 on: April 25, 2013, 11:01:54 am »
Rendering a 1hour video using the MainConcept encoder took well over an hour and a half.
Now Handbrake is only doing 36fps on that file at 90%+ on all cores. It was doing over 70fps on my 2 minute Sony codec test file yesterday.

Offline Toque

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #382 on: April 25, 2013, 12:30:53 pm »
Well, I went to run a coretemp to post for ya, and it took down my machine within 3-4 minutes, bsod.. I figured at first it was because I had installed a few drivers without rebooting even thou I was asked to reboot a few times and didnt, plus tha fact I had reinstalled windows like 5 days ago and my machine had been up since, I hadnt even bothered to install tha chipset drivers, however i had installed tha xifi sound driver and was using that without rebooting, etc.. So, I restarted tha machine, installed tha chipset drivers, restarted again, round 2 of occt for a coretemp reading, this time it stopped with a error.. NOW, since I tested this last time, lots has changed, newer driver versions in system, newer bios (with same settings as tested before), etc.. So, into tha bios, decided to change tha voltage to 1.30 manual, instead of 0.140 offset.. Rebooted, ran fine for 20 min, no problems.. Set back to offset, changed it to 0.160, ran occt again, stopped within 10 min.. Set back to manual 1.30 cpu voltage, again it ran fine for 20 min.. Okay, manual instead of offset with this bios version then hey, tryed 1.25, again it stopped, didnt bother with 1.275, said okay, 1.30 it is, again occt ran fine.. With offset of 0.140, I was running under load with occt between 2.80-3.04, changing but mostly sitting at 2.88 volt, but 0.160 didnt fix tha problem.. Bios voltage setting of 1.30, under load in windows shows 1.312 did..

NOW, at 0.140 offset, my max temps where 87, at manual 1.30, they are now 93 apperantly ;) I could get lower temps, but I have asus smartfan on, and my noctura d14 fans are only running around 400 RPM when tha machine is idle, not sure what tha max they run at with this config, but there silent still under load.. 93 will have todo i guess, still leaves 12c till max..

If u take note of my ram timings, yes, there set to tha rated 1333mhz (2666mhz) timings, I choose stable over bothering to play with them to get them stable at lower timings for very little difference performance really, my ram is running at 2400mhz as per motherboard limit, tha 2400mhz kits sell with a 10-12-12-31 timing I think althou.. When I bought tha motherboard and ram, I wasnt aware that only some boards can run higher speeds, and I wanted tha headroom for my overclock anyways, now that I am tha wiser about this and see 27.809G ram thruput at 2400mhz, I would of bought a 2400mhz 32G kit for tha money I spent on a 2666mhz 16G kit ;)

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 12:52:15 pm by Toque »

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #383 on: April 25, 2013, 03:33:09 pm »
Core temp varies depending upon which program I use. Teh officia ASUS one shows 47C, but CoreTemp shows over 70C
Heatsink is barely warm to the touch after 25min.

It could be Asus measures socket temp, where other program read the internal diodes.

My temperature is also off. Under load it says 44C. Yeah right. But good enough for temperature controlled fans, only a bit touchy :(

Did you get that Sony error when OC'ed?
If you run an OC you should stress test (burn in) it for hours and hours to verify it's stability.
People tend to use Prime95 for that, but I believe there are newer programs, not too familiar with the latest though.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 07:25:41 pm by hans »

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #384 on: April 25, 2013, 07:21:18 pm »
btw Dave that cpu has no true 8 cores, 4 are show cos of the HT of intel processors, new asus boards shows under "cputemp" the actual temp of the socket and the cores show the processor internal readings,

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #385 on: April 26, 2013, 05:51:42 am »
Just plugged in the AMD Radeon card from Pete, it draws 200W in idle! (150W more)
Although I have not installed the correct drivers yet, downloading now, would not autodetect. Using 640x480 mode to post this!

Ok, make that 126W in idle mode with the correct driver. Still 76W more than the integrated chipset!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 05:59:06 am by EEVblog »

Offline ecat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #386 on: April 26, 2013, 06:12:42 am »
That will be the extra 2.1 billion transistors all turning the kettle on :)

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #387 on: April 26, 2013, 07:11:01 am »
I am not overclocking, just stock 3.5GHz, and peaks at 4.18GHz

You might as well - in fact it's really the only reason to buy the K series processor rather than the multiplier locked version.

I think that you're right to get everything working without overclocking first but once you're happy I'd have thought that something like 4.8GHz would just be a question of dialing in the numbers to the BIOS.

Does the BIOS have an "auto overclock" mode? Might be worth trying if so, but my experience is that they are quite aggressive with the CPU voltages resulting in a hotter processor that you need.

You need an excuse to try out the water cooling anyway..........  ;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 10:03:24 am by grumpydoc »

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #388 on: April 26, 2013, 07:14:27 am »
hahh the newer 6 and 7k series goes even below that 70 watts when idle and the intresting thing the top amd card has over 8Tflops!!!! single precision computing power, while i could measure around 120-140Gflops on my 8350 at stock clocks

Offline Toque

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #389 on: April 26, 2013, 09:01:24 am »
Just plugged in the AMD Radeon card from Pete, it draws 200W in idle! (150W more)
Although I have not installed the correct drivers yet, downloading now, would not autodetect. Using 640x480 mode to post this!

Ok, make that 126W in idle mode with the correct driver. Still 76W more than the integrated chipset!

Thats kinda funny, but makes sense allthou, Video card draw 3 times tha rest of tha whole system with a gpu at idle :)

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #390 on: April 26, 2013, 09:35:49 am »
try changing the windows "visual" mode from an aero theme to a "windows 7 basic" or "windows classic" - aero keeps the card in a higher power state, this also applies to integrated but not as much.

Right click on desktop >personalize >basic and high contrast

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #391 on: April 26, 2013, 10:33:28 am »
Got an ASUS GTX650 Nvidia card.
Now Moviestudio refuses to register at all, and just locks up at GPU driver initiaisation.
So I have:
an Intel HD4000 that crashes on Sony AVC codec
an AMD Radeon that crashes on startup, and draws a million watts.
an NVIDIA that crashes on startup and won't register

This is beginning to piss me off...

BTW the GTX650 only draws 60-65W total on idle, very nice.
aero makes no difference.

Offline notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #392 on: April 26, 2013, 11:52:56 am »
Probably a dumb question, but as there are no pictures, have you plugged the extra power connectors into the video cards ?

Offline ecat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #393 on: April 26, 2013, 12:03:27 pm »
Got an ASUS GTX650 Nvidia card.
Now Moviestudio refuses to register at all, and just locks up at GPU driver initiaisation.
So I have:
an Intel HD4000 that crashes on Sony AVC codec
an AMD Radeon that crashes on startup, and draws a million watts.
an NVIDIA that crashes on startup and won't register

This is beginning to piss me off...

BTW the GTX650 only draws 60-65W total on idle, very nice.
aero makes no difference.

What version of Windows? (I'll give you a clue here 8 is not a valid answer neither is any version pre-dating Vista. Final clue, Vista is not a valid answer either)

The only Render crash I've had in Movie Studio was due to an out dated driver when using i5 integrated GPU. A new driver from the Intel site made my troubles go away.

The fact that ALL forms of gpu assist are failing makes me suspicious. Maybe worth reaching a stable and up to date AMD or NVIDIA configuration and re-installing SonyMS  :-//

General things to check / be aware that they exist:
6 and/or 8 pin power connector(s) are in place on the GPU - I always forget this one.

Sony MS: Integrated only works with Sony AVC, AMD only works with OpenCL, NVIDIA may work with CUDA or OpenGL.

BIOS: "Initialise Integrated GPU or PCIe first" - the wording certainly changes between BIOS's if you see it you will know
BIOS: "Disable integrated graphics" - personally it was a long time before I trusted that Intel POS and I did not run it and a real gpu at the same time until the tests I did for this thread a week or so ago.

Does your motherboard have the Lucid chip-set? Manual or website should tell you.
1) Disable it - you may temporarily lose integrated gpu support
2) Download and install the latest Lucid Virtu driver from the Lucidlogix site. -Oh, the fun and games I've had with this + Intel pos gpu drivers.

I'm sure there are more to add to the list.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #394 on: April 26, 2013, 12:27:34 pm »
The other suggestion I have is: Could it be a power supply issue? Do you have another PS to try or an old machine to see what happens?  I don't play in the deep end of the graphics card pool, but from what I have picked up a PCIe slot can provide 75W, a 6pin auxiliary connecter also 75W and an 8pin 150W. What does your card use?

The NVIDIA card is PCI power only.

I thought you had settled on using the chipset graphics? For power savings, and because the encoding grunt you needed was largely a CPU workload. Did I miss something?

I was going too, but MovieStudio didn't work using the AVC codec.
I thought the NVIDIA card may solve that. Nope. Now it doesn't work at all.
Just tried Sony Vegas Pro trial and it crashes on the AVC codec too.
 |O

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #395 on: April 26, 2013, 12:36:58 pm »
The fact that ALL forms of gpu assist are failing makes me suspicious. Maybe worth reaching a stable and up to date AMD or NVIDIA configuration and re-installing SonyMS  :-//

Tried that many times, doesn't work. Non of my video card options work - Intel, Nvidia, or AMD

If there isn't a solution here, then I wasted my money. As it stand, the only working workflow (integrated, MainConcept codec) is no quicker than my older machine.

Offline ecat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #396 on: April 26, 2013, 12:50:32 pm »
Your MB is P8Z77-V LX ?

If so, it does have LucidLogix. On multi gpu configurations this is supposed to provide intelligent switching and allocation of the most suitable gpu resource for the task at hand - those words fill me with dread. There is a control panel "Virtu Control Panel", on my pc it is located in the 'Hidden Icons' list (task bar, right hand side), this control panel has a big fat OFF button, I suggest using it.

My Lucid Virtu driver is version 1.2.114.21767.
My pc ran happily for over a year with this driver uninstalled and the Intel integrated gpu disabled. I've only run with this installed for a week so no real comment to make beyond 'it looks ok'.

The only Windows version I know to be fully compatible with multi gpus is 7. Vista may be ok, it may not, same with Win 8.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 12:55:37 pm by ecat »

Offline Hobgoblin612

• Contributor
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #397 on: April 26, 2013, 03:19:05 pm »
This video explains how to set uo Virtu MVP properly: (its a bit fiddly)

ooooohh... what does this button do???

Offline Markybhoy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #398 on: April 26, 2013, 03:25:53 pm »
Have you updated all your drivers from the asus support page ?
You could also try updating the bios,  you are on 1201 from the vid and the lastest version is 1801.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V_LX/#support_Download

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #399 on: April 26, 2013, 03:25:58 pm »
Your MB is P8Z77-V LX ?
If so, it does have LucidLogix. On multi gpu configurations this is supposed to provide intelligent switching and allocation of the most suitable gpu resource for the task at hand - those words fill me with dread. There is a control panel "Virtu Control Panel", on my pc it is located in the 'Hidden Icons' list (task bar, right hand side), this control panel has a big fat OFF button, I suggest using it.

I don't see any "Virtu Control Panel"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf