Author Topic: Hantek 6022BE 20MHz USB DSO  (Read 852376 times)

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
Re: Hantek 6022BE 20MHz USB DSO
« Reply #475 on: March 19, 2014, 04:42:37 pm »
DarrenS,  if I follow RichardK's explanation I have the same problem! As he said it is already fixed in the next version.
Good catch on that one!
Thanks RichardK.
Regards
Matchless

Offline DarrenS

« Reply #476 on: March 19, 2014, 05:05:43 pm »
Woo hoo! Thanks guys - you have restored my faith in my sanity!

Offline C

• Super Contributor
« Reply #477 on: March 19, 2014, 05:23:54 pm »
RichardK,

I am not seeing the most important reason to get a Hantek 6022BE fixed with this software.

Look at all the reviews that dave has done on stand alone DSO's. When you connect one of them to a PC. Only two modes are really possible, Video mode or Data Collection mode.

Video Mode:
For this mode the stand alone DSO acts like a video camera source. A cheap DSO would just send the picture frame data over the USB buss. To get higher resolution &/or a higher frame rate the DSO would have to do video compression. The Hantek 6022BE can not do this.

Data Collection mode:
For this mode the stand alone DSO acts like a analog data capture source. Here the  stand alone DSO would capture a block of samples. In addition to the actual ADC data samples the DSO would need to inform the PC of what format the data samples are being sent over the USB. Some of the extra information would be how many channels, Sample rate for a channel, The real time that this block of data samples started and how many samples the data block contains, The analog settings used to collect the samples. In this mode there would be blocks of data with time gaps between the blocks. The time gaps would only become 0 when the sample rate became slow enough that the PC side could keep up with the incoming data. Because the rate could change it would be important to know when a time gap did happen. The Hantek 6022BE while poor is a analog data capture device. As some of the above is set by the firmware loaded into the Hantek 6022BE I see the PC data collection software needing to add the additional information to the information that travels over the USB buss so that the viewer will then have the needed information to properly display the data.

The software first needs to turn the Hantek 6022BE into the best analog data capture device it can be. This is where the Hantek 6022BE could be better than the stand alone DSO. Unlike the DSO the PC could use a lot of buffers, You could buffer samples to ram &/or buffer samples to disk. And while the data collection is happening you could then look at the captured data. Where a DSO would have to use a One shot mode to acquire data the Hantek 6022BE could switch from continuous to disk sample speed with no time gaps to one of many burst speeds where the samples would have time gaps.
The analog data capture software could do some auto ranging by looking at the sample data. To make this really nice and usable there would need to be a lot of easy to use settings.
With the low cost of the Hantek 6022BE, the software should allow for adding an additional USB interface card to the computer so that many Hantek 6022BE's could be used at high speeds.
Even as poor as the Hantek 6022BE is it could be very nice to have the ability to look back at what happened.

The existing software is a start of a data viewer and has parts of the data capture side needed.
If the data capture side was done well it should be possible to run many viewers. Someone that has many displays connected to there PC could have one viewer showing the real time data collection while using an additional display to look back through the collected data on a second display.

So RichardK,
How far do you want to go with this software? With a good software foundation it could become more than just a little better than what Hantek supplied. As a separate data collection program that talks to a data viewer program it could become the thing to use with any DSO on a PC.

C

Offline RichardK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #478 on: March 19, 2014, 05:32:15 pm »
RichardK,

I am not seeing the most important reason to get a Hantek 6022BE fixed with this software.

Look at all the reviews that dave has done on stand alone DSO's. When you connect one of them to a PC. Only two modes are really possible, Video mode or Data Collection mode.

Video Mode:
For this mode the stand alone DSO acts like a video camera source. A cheap DSO would just send the picture frame data over the USB buss. To get higher resolution &/or a higher frame rate the DSO would have to do video compression. The Hantek 6022BE can not do this.

Data Collection mode:
For this mode the stand alone DSO acts like a analog data capture source. Here the  stand alone DSO would capture a block of samples. In addition to the actual ADC data samples the DSO would need to inform the PC of what format the data samples are being sent over the USB. Some of the extra information would be how many channels, Sample rate for a channel, The real time that this block of data samples started and how many samples the data block contains, The analog settings used to collect the samples. In this mode there would be blocks of data with time gaps between the blocks. The time gaps would only become 0 when the sample rate became slow enough that the PC side could keep up with the incoming data. Because the rate could change it would be important to know when a time gap did happen. The Hantek 6022BE while poor is a analog data capture device. As some of the above is set by the firmware loaded into the Hantek 6022BE I see the PC data collection software needing to add the additional information to the information that travels over the USB buss so that the viewer will then have the needed information to properly display the data.

The software first needs to turn the Hantek 6022BE into the best analog data capture device it can be. This is where the Hantek 6022BE could be better than the stand alone DSO. Unlike the DSO the PC could use a lot of buffers, You could buffer samples to ram &/or buffer samples to disk. And while the data collection is happening you could then look at the captured data. Where a DSO would have to use a One shot mode to acquire data the Hantek 6022BE could switch from continuous to disk sample speed with no time gaps to one of many burst speeds where the samples would have time gaps.
The analog data capture software could do some auto ranging by looking at the sample data. To make this really nice and usable there would need to be a lot of easy to use settings.
With the low cost of the Hantek 6022BE, the software should allow for adding an additional USB interface card to the computer so that many Hantek 6022BE's could be used at high speeds.
Even as poor as the Hantek 6022BE is it could be very nice to have the ability to look back at what happened.

The existing software is a start of a data viewer and has parts of the data capture side needed.
If the data capture side was done well it should be possible to run many viewers. Someone that has many displays connected to there PC could have one viewer showing the real time data collection while using an additional display to look back through the collected data on a second display.

So RichardK,
How far do you want to go with this software? With a good software foundation it could become more than just a little better than what Hantek supplied. As a separate data collection program that talks to a data viewer program it could become the thing to use with any DSO on a PC.

C

The scope is limited but useful, and it seems like you are making the assumption that I am trying to turn a $75 20Mhz USB scope into a thousand dollar 200+ Mhz scope and I am not... I am only correcting the flaws in the stock software and providing features that should have been in the stock software.

It is pointless to try and turn this scope into something it is not, and after I am done doing my work on the code and release the source, if someone else wants to give it a try, that's up to them.

As for the software, this is what the software does (stock and my version):

1. A worker thread takes periodic samples from the hardware into PC memory and checks it for trigger criteria, setting the trigger index (relative to the raw data array) for any trigger event found in that particular capture (so it can render it later on without rolling or jidder), it also does interpolation if needed.

2. Another worker thread renders the captured data in PC RAM onto the screen, where the user can interact with it, perform measurements on it. etc...

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 05:44:21 pm by RichardK »

Offline C

• Super Contributor
« Reply #479 on: March 19, 2014, 07:11:21 pm »
The scope is limited but useful, and it seems like you are making the assumption that I am trying to turn a $75 20Mhz USB scope into a thousand dollar 200+ Mhz scope and I am not... I am only correcting the flaws in the stock software and providing features that should have been in the stock software.

Is it really a $75 scope? When your software is running would it not be fair to include part of the PC's cost in the result?
For all the limits imposed by the $75 hardware this could be very powerful due to the attached PC
For some uses a 20Mhz scope is a lot more than what is needed.

I am only correcting the flaws in the stock software and providing features that should have been in the stock software.
I guess that you and I just looking at things differently. I am looking at a great stand alone DSO and asking the question what has to change due to the  $75 hardware used & what improvements can be made to that great stand alone DSO because a PC is being used.

C

Offline RichardK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #480 on: March 19, 2014, 11:26:49 pm »

Is it really a $75 scope? When your software is running would it not be fair to include part of the PC's cost in the result?
For all the limits imposed by the $75 hardware this could be very powerful due to the attached PC

I am only correcting the flaws in the stock software and providing features that should have been in the stock software.
I guess that you and I just looking at things differently. I am looking at a great stand alone DSO and asking the question what has to change due to the  $75 hardware used & what improvements can be made to that great stand alone DSO because a PC is being used.

C

The possibilities of the scope are not limited by me,  but by the community using it. Like I said before, if people want to improve it more than I have, they can put as much work into my code as they want, that was my second goal of this project, giving others a good launching pad to start from.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #481 on: March 20, 2014, 03:44:50 am »

C

Mr. C,

I don't think you quite understand what is being done here.  Some of us find a stand alone DSO to be the way to go, some of us find otherwise.  Still, some of us may want to go for a stand-alone but for one reason or another, went with the a USB based scope.

So, those of us with this USB DSO are trying to get as much out of it as we can.  With RichardK's help, we are getting more out of our limited hardware.  So, we are all appreciative of Mr. RichardK for that.

It is true that the $75 scope is not $75 if you include the cost of the PC.  Then again, the $500 standalone DSO is not $500 if you include the cost of bringing electricity from the substation into the house to run that DSO.

Value is what one places on the item.  Suitability is application and cost dependent.  If all I need is a push cart, I am foolish to buy a forklift; if all one can budget for is a townhouse, one is foolish to say a mansion or nothing.

You said you are going to buy a stand alone DSO, good for you.  You have the need for it and you can justify it.  So it is right for you.  I am far from saying: "Forgot your prescription glasses? No problem; use mine - my prescription glasses allow me to see clearly therefore you should see as clearly through my prescription glasses as well."

Rick

Offline FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #482 on: March 20, 2014, 10:46:51 am »
I am fortunate enough to own bench, portable and USB DSO's. Each has its own benefits and compromises. So why did I buy the 6022BE ?  It matched my Hantek Logic analyser and my Hantek Arb Function Generator  ;D But seriously I already had the LA and AFG and thought a simple DSO would be useful for use with them as part of a Laptop PC based mobile test setup. The DSO was so cheap that it was hard ot resist.

I was pleased with the 6022BE hardware, but unimpressed with the poorly produced software that drives it. Good hardware with poor software basically made the 6022BE a paperweight for my purposes. RichardK has done what I could not.....created a software package that enables me to use the 6022BE as part of my PC test kit and it is now a useable DSO thanks to his very generous efforts and those who have been doing the Beta testing.

There is an old saying in the UK...... you can't make a silk purse out of a Sows ear. In this case RichardK has made the unit useable but there seems little point in expending many hours trying to make the 6022BE anything more than it was designed to be..... a 20MHz basic DSO. For the 'Ultimate' USB DSO a better hardware platform would be advised.

My sincere thanks to RichardK for turning my 6022BE paperweight into a useful little DSO.

It is such a pity that Hantek do not seem to place adequate importance on the software elements of their products as their hardware design is quite respectable.

Aurora 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 12:41:24 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #483 on: March 20, 2014, 11:42:10 am »
The possibilities of the scope are not limited by me,  but by the community using it. Like I said before, if people want to improve it more than I have, they can put as much work into my code as they want, that was my second goal of this project, giving others a good launching pad to start from.

I think you're doing a really excellent job meeting that objective!  Thanks.

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #484 on: March 20, 2014, 12:09:57 pm »
RichardK,
              This thread is my most favourite and My Hantek 6022be is next to my PC waiting for the next updated binary! You are definitely meeting my requirements and doing a most outstanding job!
Thank you sir!
Regards
Matchless

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #485 on: March 21, 2014, 10:00:44 am »
I have updated some more sections in the Open6022be user manual. I have also included some of the findings by members in this forum thread. I hope it is in order with you that I did that.
There are a few items in red font, that are sort of related to RichardK's software, if you have any comments on those.

Here is the latest pdf: http://jmp.sh/fZAhsOY
Here is the latest docx: http://jmp.sh/VrNJmBq

All feedback, changes, additions, criticisms are appreciated!

Edit:See new post further on with updates
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 03:02:28 pm by Matchless »
Regards
Matchless

Offline roderick

• Contributor
    • Small Projects
« Reply #486 on: March 23, 2014, 08:24:58 am »
I have updated some more sections in the Open6022be user manual. I have also included some of the findings by members in this forum thread. I hope it is in order with you that I did that.
Section 14 on "Limitations and Things to be Aware of" is wonderful!  It distills the essential information that the public has learned that would be of useful to an engineer.  Only in an open-source manual can we find this sort of information.  Great job!

In Section 13, "Self-Calibration," there is a picture of the probe, and an enlargement of the x10 / x1 switch.  I don't know about other people's probes, but the ones that came stock with my 6022BE have the "x1" setting forward, and the "x10" setting back, the opposite of the picture.  Not a major deal.

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #487 on: March 23, 2014, 12:49:23 pm »
roderick, thanks for the feedback! Picture is fixed now!
I have progressed a little further with the updates to the document. The parts in red are either software related or require some more detail.

Here are the latest versions b9:
Note: The Jumpshare viewer seems to result in spelling mistakes on the docx, rather download it to read properly. I have notified them.

Docx: http://jmp.sh/jksZHSB
Pdf: http://jmp.sh/dKax03Q

Hopefully I get more feedback from the forum crowd!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 03:04:25 pm by Matchless »
Regards
Matchless

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #488 on: March 23, 2014, 05:35:35 pm »
Hopefully I get more feedback from the forum crowd!

Well, you asked for feedback, so I'll give you some.  :)

I haven't had time to read the entire manual in detail yet, but I'm very impressed with what I have seen.  You've done a very good job, especially tying explanations to screen captures of displays and menus.  This isn't only better than Hantek's docs, or any Chinglish docs, it's also superior to many US manufs. professionally produced documents.  Very well presented, informational, and educational.  Excellent for a product of this type.

I did note a couple questions in red, on Page 39.  Here's the info you requested:

- the max sample rate in Burst Mode is 48 MSa/s
- the max sample rate in continuous mode is 16 MSa/s

I see now that the "Hantek strategy" has paid off handsomely.  Aka, "reverse outsourcing".  We started it by outsourcing our electronics knowledge and manufacturing expertise, years ago, to get cheap hardware.  Hantek has provided that.  And by not investing any time or money in decent software or documentation, Hantek has now outsourced them back to the US, and obtained both, free of charge.   :-DD
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 05:37:56 pm by Mark_O »

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #489 on: March 23, 2014, 05:52:30 pm »
I see now that the "Hantek strategy" has paid off handsomely.  Aka, "reverse outsourcing".  We started it by outsourcing our electronics knowledge and manufacturing expertise, years ago, to get cheap hardware.  Hantek has provided that.  And by not investing any time or money in decent software or documentation, Hantek has now outsourced them back to the US, and obtained both, free of charge.   :-DD

It is not a bad idea really.  We (users and manufacturer) both benefited.

This is similar to the "self-checkout" at Walmart and other stores.  When you use the self-checkout, Walmart just outsourced the work to you.

Whereas, at places like Walmart the benefit is far more limited, and they have to balance the numbers between lost (shop-lifting) and gain (labor saved), this "Hantek outsource" doesn't have that drawback and the benefit (by value) is far more significant.

Thanks to RichardK, we all benefited.

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #490 on: March 23, 2014, 06:21:44 pm »
I haven't had time to read the entire manual in detail yet, but I'm very impressed with what I have seen.  You've done a very good job, especially tying explanations to screen captures of displays and menus.  This isn't only better than Hantek's docs, or any Chinglish docs, it's also superior to many US manufs. professionally produced documents.  Very well presented, informational, and educational.  Excellent for a product of this type.

I did note a couple questions in red, on Page 39.  Here's the info you requested:

- the max sample rate in Burst Mode is 48 MSa/s
- the max sample rate in continuous mode is 16 MSa/s

Thanks for the feedback and the specs. Its slowly coming together, but there is still a lot to do. Every bit of input is appreciated and I know how hard it is to read a manual. Most people including myself only use the manual as a last resort or even then maybe not!
Regards
Matchless

Offline Bocks

« Reply #491 on: March 24, 2014, 01:19:13 am »
I tried to use Open6022BE on my laptop and everything works except the waveform doesn't render. If I have the scope connected to a signal I see triggering indicated. If I do a print preview I see a waveform. If I put the software in XY mode I can see a trace. Just no trace in YT. Grid, cursors, zero and trigger level gadgets all show fine. I have Hantek's 1.04 version installed and it runs normally, and I've tried Open6022BE on a netbook and it works great there. This laptop is running Windows 7 Pro 32 bit and it has both nVidia 310M and Intel onboard video, which it defaults to. I tried running it off the nVidia side and no difference(the laptop is able to switch video chipsets on the fly). That was the only thing I could think of that's out of the ordinary. I am using the PR17 version and have not tried anything earlier. I also tried moving the copy of msvcr100.dll that came with it so it would use the one already in the computer. If you have any insights please let me know. Thanks!

Offline RichardK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #492 on: March 24, 2014, 01:42:08 am »
I tried to use Open6022BE on my laptop and everything works except the waveform doesn't render. If I have the scope connected to a signal I see triggering indicated. If I do a print preview I see a waveform. If I put the software in XY mode I can see a trace. Just no trace in YT. Grid, cursors, zero and trigger level gadgets all show fine. I have Hantek's 1.04 version installed and it runs normally, and I've tried Open6022BE on a netbook and it works great there. This laptop is running Windows 7 Pro 32 bit and it has both nVidia 310M and Intel onboard video, which it defaults to. I tried running it off the nVidia side and no difference(the laptop is able to switch video chipsets on the fly). That was the only thing I could think of that's out of the ordinary. I am using the PR17 version and have not tried anything earlier. I also tried moving the copy of msvcr100.dll that came with it so it would use the one already in the computer. If you have any insights please let me know. Thanks!

I have no clue really... The only thing that is different between XY and YT (other than the obvious) is brightness doesn't effect XY, so it could be related but I'll have to look at the code.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #493 on: March 24, 2014, 04:31:47 pm »

Bock, this rendering failure seems similar to what I see when I run remote desktop.  (I see all traces plotted normal except when I run RDC).

Try this (to get more clues): immediately after power-up, connect both CH1 and CH2 to the scope's reference wave, turn on both CH1 and CH2, then turn on math, you may see the math trace.  If so, they may be related.

Offline DarrenS

« Reply #494 on: March 24, 2014, 09:24:53 pm »
I don't know if I've just discovered another small bug...

I just tried exporting waveforms for both Channel 1 and Channel 2 but I don't see any evidence of Channel 2 in the exported file. I first tried this using the .bewf format but when I only saw one channel appear on import I tried the .txt format export so I could view the contents... and there is no reference to CH2 in the file.

I've not tried including any of the other elements in the export  file (Math, Reference, FFT) so don't know if they are missing too.

Is this a known problem?

Offline RichardK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #495 on: March 24, 2014, 09:28:32 pm »
I don't know if I've just discovered another small bug...

I just tried exporting waveforms for both Channel 1 and Channel 2 but I don't see any evidence of Channel 2 in the exported file. I first tried this using the .bewf format but when I only saw one channel appear on import I tried the .txt format export so I could view the contents... and there is no reference to CH2 in the file.

I've not tried including any of the other elements in the export  file (Math, Reference, FFT) so don't know if they are missing too.

Is this a known problem?

Exporting more than one channel (or source) is only supported for Image exports currently, I'll have to modify the data formats for exporting more than one source (I will eventually). Right now you have to export them separately.

Offline DarrenS

« Reply #496 on: March 24, 2014, 09:51:19 pm »
Exporting more than one channel (or source) is only supported for Image exports currently, I'll have to modify the data formats for exporting more than one source (I will eventually). Right now you have to export them separately.

Noted - thanks for the quick reply Richard.

One other thing I forgot to mention before, totally unrelated to exporting!... I've noticed problems at times with the "waveform context area" above the waveform view. I can't say what conditions this occurs under but at times the T appears way over to the right of the context area and clicking and dragging only brings it back so far. The waveform view scrolls as you drag but it's not clear where exactly in the timeline you are. Again, is this a known problem?

Offline RichardK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #497 on: March 24, 2014, 09:55:31 pm »

Noted - thanks for the quick reply Richard.

One other thing I forgot to mention before, totally unrelated to exporting!... I've noticed problems at times with the "waveform context area" above the waveform view. I can't say what conditions this occurs under but at times the T appears way over to the right of the context area and clicking and dragging only brings it back so far. The waveform view scrolls as you drag but it's not clear where exactly in the timeline you are. Again, is this a known problem?

The 'T' is the location of the trigger, so sometimes the waveform context can be rendered before the waveform itself is rendered (which is centered with trigger position).

Offline Bocks

« Reply #498 on: March 25, 2014, 02:32:18 am »
Rick and Richard, thanks for the replies. I tried math right after powerup and got no trace there either, but thinking about the remote desktop prompted me to think about my monitor configuration. I have an external monitor plugged in(HDMI) using dual view mode. Switching out of dual view to either single monitor or laptop display, or to cloned display on both screens made the traces appear instantly! So at least I know how to make it work and perhaps it will be repeatable on another computer. I'll try it on another computer if I can. I can't try it on my netbook because it runs Windows 7 Starter edition which only allows cloned display externally, not dual view.

Thanks again for your help.

Offline RichardK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #499 on: March 25, 2014, 02:41:04 am »
Rick and Richard, thanks for the replies. I tried math right after powerup and got no trace there either, but thinking about the remote desktop prompted me to think about my monitor configuration. I have an external monitor plugged in(HDMI) using dual view mode. Switching out of dual view to either single monitor or laptop display, or to cloned display on both screens made the traces appear instantly! So at least I know how to make it work and perhaps it will be repeatable on another computer. I'll try it on another computer if I can. I can't try it on my netbook because it runs Windows 7 Starter edition which only allows cloned display externally, not dual view.

Thanks again for your help.

The windows GDI function AlphaBlend has issues when rendering on multiple displays, I have modified the code to use an alternative method if it fails (things will render differently but at least it will be visible!).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf