Author Topic: Hantek 6022BE 20MHz USB DSO  (Read 856059 times)

Offline Keptenkurk

Re: Hantek 6022BE 20MHz USB DSO
« Reply #675 on: August 30, 2014, 08:09:10 pm »
Thanks Matchless for the time and effort you've put in the manual!
/paul

Offline mrphil

• Contributor
« Reply #676 on: August 31, 2014, 12:10:57 am »
oh.. I always used this for rotation signal (engine speed , wheel speed sensor.....) and these signal are often below 5v... I didn't know it was limited to 5v.

by the way i'm not using the original probe (since these are not appropriate for automotive testing) I'm simple probe without the x10 switch attached to it. So if I put the software in x10 mode , i'm not getting the right voltage either.....

any solution ?
I could always mod the original probes that come with the scope.. is this the best I can do ?
Yeah, the software in X10 will just multiply the value of the input voltage by 10, but the input voltage value is clipped at + or -5V, so you'll still get the wrong voltage. You need to have a X10 probe to see signals >+-5V, so probably modifying the original probes is your best bet.

Might be a stupid question, but what makes the probes unsuitable for automotive work?

is it just that alligator clips are better?

how is the scope for automotive work?
are there enough channels for everything that you'd want to measure?

Hantek appear to do another scope (1008C) that has a bit better resolution (12bit) and more channels (8 instead of 2), but a much lower sampling rate - 2.4MS/s rather than 48Ms/s, which (I think) gives it about a 1MHz bandwidth...

I've been considering getting that (1008C) scope with more channels to go alongside this one (6022BE), mainly for doing audio stuff, but would use if for automotive work in the future...

Well I must admit I've used better scopes. I'm a mecanic teacher and the school o work for own 3 automotive picoscope which are amazing but expensive. 700$ each (unit only) & 1200$ each with all the accessories. The 6022be is way far behind these picoscope but for less than 100$ they can do most of the job I need a scope for.

If you compare this 6022 to the picoscope you'll be disappointed but if you can live with the fact that it's slower, the software is ( no harm to Richardk . he has done a wonderful job ) way behond what the picoscope software, it worth the 100$ you'll spend.

Like I said, I use it often for rotation signal. ( engine speed , abs sensor...) These signal are pretty much always below 5volt so it works right of the box. When you get to ignition & injection, you'll need a 10x reducer for injection as youll reach peak ay 40v or so. And even a 100x for ignition as you get peaks at +/- 300volts.

The software of the 1008c is more "automotive" ready as they integrate preset such as amp clamp for starting, charging, compression check , injection & ignition ramp.
The 6022 software only have voltage measurement preset so you'll have to do the convertion by yourself. But in the end you'll get to the point.

For the probes, in automotive diargnostinc we usually use voltmeter type probe with back probes (needles to get between the wire and the plastic connector).
Also the ground clamp need to be bigger and have a longer wire.

Anyhow, I guess you get with you pay for and the 6022 worth every $ if  you are ready to work a little harder.

I haven't try the 1008c , I only used the demo mode on the software. I plan to buy one in the next months.

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #677 on: September 02, 2014, 04:37:20 pm »
mrphil,
          I would love to add a chapter to the use manual on using the 6022BE for doing the tests you can/have used it for! I know it asking g a lot, but if you ever have the time to spare it would be much appreciated. I know too little about that field to even attempt writing a guide!!!
Regards
Matchless

Offline mrphil

• Contributor
« Reply #678 on: September 02, 2014, 07:47:25 pm »
mrphil,
          I would love to add a chapter to the use manual on using the 6022BE for doing the tests you can/have used it for! I know it asking g a lot, but if you ever have the time to spare it would be much appreciated. I know too little about that field to even attempt writing a guide!!!

What would you need ?

for eample if I write something like:

Code: [Select]
Automotive tests
categorie INITION,
sub categorie : primary circuit (for a simple 2 wire coil)
testing procedure for firing voltage
 + test lead on control wire,  (neg (-) of coil)
 - test lead on body ground
using 100:1 reducer
setting x100 in software
voltage scale 50V / div
time scale 500 us / div
all this with a picture explaining what means what on the result of that scope

is this the kind of info you would need ?

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #679 on: September 02, 2014, 08:18:45 pm »
What would you need ?

for eample if I write something like:

Automotive tests
categorie INITION,
sub categorie : primary circuit (for a simple 2 wire coil)
testing procedure for firing voltage
 + test lead on control wire,  (neg (-) of coil)
 - test lead on body ground
using 100:1 reducer
setting x100 in software
voltage scale 50V / div
time scale 500 us / div

all this with a picture explaining what means what on the result of that scope

is this the kind of info you would need ?

Hi mrphyl,
Basically I need to have it in the sort of same format as the present user manual.
A description of the test, assuming the person reading it has not done such a test before, and maybe why the test is done.
Then how to go about doing the test and the settings used on the 6022BE
Then a screen capture of the result, if applicable showing the waveform as well as the measure results.
As you suggested the chapter can be called Automotive tests and measurements.

This sort of measurements will even be useful to someone building or configuring ignitions for miniature engines or just DIY fault proving on your own car...?
This will be great information to add and the RC, motorcycle, car and other hobbyists will be able to see if this cheap DSO can do what they want it for.
I have had a closer look at the 1008 on ebay and it would be interesting to hear your findings once you have one.
Thanks for responding to this, your input is very much appreciated!

Regards
Matchless

Offline mrphil

• Contributor
« Reply #680 on: September 02, 2014, 09:10:34 pm »
The only thing that I don't like with this 6022be is when I need to capture a slow signal. Today I had to check a potentiometer with a slow movement.  I set up the time scale to 1sec/ div and I was disappointed to see how slow the scope display the result. Is there any.way to speed that up?

For your manual. What I can.do is each time i write something for my classes (new test procedure) I will translate(I teach in french) and provide detailed picture w/ explanations.

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #681 on: September 03, 2014, 08:05:32 pm »
mrphil, sorry I have no idea, but richardk may have some ideas on this.
Thanks for you offer and looking forward to it.
Regards
Matchless

Offline lapeyroua

« Reply #682 on: September 04, 2014, 07:50:28 am »
Hello mrphil
Due to the design, Data are not displayed in real time.
"It has to capture the data, before it can display it."
look at this message https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hantek-6022be-20mhz-usb-dso/msg386643/#msg386643 from Mark_O
Bonne journée

Offline woodbird

« Reply #683 on: September 04, 2014, 10:04:45 am »
I did some interesting testing with another Library:
 I was able to read 50MSamples (could be even more) from both channels at the full sample rate of 24MHz.
Actually this gave me 2 Seconds of raw samples @ 24MHz (50MB/sec).
Combining this functionality with RichardK's software could become a very interesting result...

Offline roderick

• Contributor
    • Small Projects
« Reply #684 on: September 05, 2014, 12:34:49 am »
Is there a way to set the FFT range?

I want 0hz to ~30khz range. As of right now its all in the 1st division, anything less than 5k is impossible to read.

Anyone?
Last I checked, there were no adjustments possible in the FFT function.  It seems to still be under development, with the axes not even labeled.  I hold out hope that one day, RichardK will have the time to get the code in a state where he feels comfortable releasing it to sourceforge.  Then there can be many more people working on details like this.

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #685 on: September 05, 2014, 01:27:33 pm »

Which library was that?

I was able to read 50MSamples (could be even more) from both channels at the full sample rate of 24MHz.

Are you sure about that?  I ask because while 24 MB/sec is quite reasonable for a USB2 channel, twice that would be very difficult to achieve.  I'm not saying you're wrong, just that it seems unlikely, when the max theoretical USB2 capacity is <60 MB/sec, even if both sides of the exchange were running at 100% (which almost never happens).

That would be a pretty slick trick to achieve.

Offline woodbird

« Reply #686 on: September 07, 2014, 10:08:21 am »
I used this driver for testing on a Linux machine running Ubuntu 12.4:   https://github.com/rpm2003rpm
I extended the driver to read up to 48MB of raw data from each channel @24MHz and modified the main program acordingly.
The USB bus was totally reserved for this task. No other device was attached.
I used the inBuilt 1kHz square wave of the BE6022 as testsignal.
To verify the transfer I checked the received data at different positions. The result was always correct: about 12000 Samples for a half cycle of the squarewave.
(24M / 1kHz / 2 = 12.000) It took - as expected - 2 Sec. to get the whole Bulk data.
I also tested the same scenario at other sample rates (down to 100kHz). The results were always as expected. And of course it took the necessary time.

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #687 on: September 08, 2014, 06:22:26 am »
I used this driver for testing on a Linux machine running Ubuntu 12.4:   https://github.com/rpm2003rpm
I extended the driver to read up to 48MB of raw data from each channel @24MHz and modified the main program acordingly.
The USB bus was totally reserved for this task. No other device was attached.
I used the inBuilt 1kHz square wave of the BE6022 as testsignal.
To verify the transfer I checked the received data at different positions. The result was always correct: about 12000 Samples for a half cycle of the squarewave.
(24M / 1kHz / 2 = 12.000) It took - as expected - 2 Sec. to get the whole Bulk data.
I also tested the same scenario at other sample rates (down to 100kHz). The results were always as expected. And of course it took the necessary time.

Thanks, woodbird!  Both for the link, and the info.  I see you already verified your transfers, which is good.  One limitation of the device is it can't send just a single channel, so if you did only need one, you'd be limited to half the potential speed.  But as a result of that, most systems can't handle the continuous streaming rate that the 6022BE can apparently provide.  Good to know that a linux-based system can do so.   :-+   None of the Win-based systems I've used could ever manage that.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #688 on: September 08, 2014, 10:36:59 am »

Which library was that?

Are you sure about that?  I ask because while 24 MB/sec is quite reasonable for a USB2 channel, twice that would be very difficult to achieve.  I'm not saying you're wrong, just that it seems unlikely, when the max theoretical USB2 capacity is <60 MB/sec, even if both sides of the exchange were running at 100% (which almost never happens).

That would be a pretty slick trick to achieve.

here is the magic dust that lets you push almost 50MB/s over usb 2.0

HT6022_1MB   = 0x00100000  /*!< 1048576 Bytes */
}HT6022_DataSizeTypeDef;

there are 'Turbo' mass storage drivers that do the same, they aggregate SCSI commands into big 2MB chunks instead of transferring sector at a time

http://media.bestofmicro.com/I/M/340222/original/sequentialturbo.png
slowest one on the graph is USB2.0
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline rosasharn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #689 on: September 13, 2014, 08:21:08 am »
Many thanks for this helpful data :-+, Rasz.

Offline jomor

« Reply #690 on: September 24, 2014, 12:31:46 pm »
apologies if this has been answered before, but has the noise issue been suppressed? i am reading back older posts but i can't figure out if it is software artifacts or hardware interference. I tried some of the suggested shielding tricks one by one but neither helped. Adding 100uF capacitors before the ams1117 regulator, shielding the dc-dc converter and grounding the other chip's heatsink did not help at all. I haven't tried shielding the input stages or adding the extra bypass ceramic capacitors yet though.

Offline FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #691 on: September 24, 2014, 03:08:44 pm »
The noise of a system is often set by the 'front end' amplification stages. A DSO is little different. If the power supply to the channel amplifiers is noisy, it will degrade the noise figure of the whole system. Screening of an input amplifier stage is best practice as that helps to reduce spatial interference ingress to the amplifier chain. You should fit the channel amplifier shielding as part of any effort to reduce the noise level of the scope. Like many such issues, it is often a case of curing more than one problem and small improvements in several places can often add up to a significant overall performance increase. At least this DSO PCB is easy to work on and simple to open so you can experiment with different noise reduction approaches. In a perfect world, all analogue stages would be supplied by a well decoupled analogue regulator and not a switching regulator with its associated bad habits of creating noise spikes on the output (at least in this design anyway). The input channels would then receive a nice clean supply rail from which to operate. The analogue stages should also be well screened, both above and below the PCB. The screens may be made from thin copper or tin plate....  at a push, even an old baked bean tin that has been flattened work suffice ! The screens should be in contact with the PCB but any PCB tracks should be protected against the screens influence by making small cut-outs on the screen sides so that it passes over them with some clearance. Sadly screening an amplifier can be a little more complex than just adding an overall screen. Sometimes you need inter-stage screening as well but the little 6022 probably does not have the gain to need such measures provided there is no digital electronics 'trapped' inside the screening can along side the analogue stages. And remember...you can never have too much RFI decoupling on a supply rail to analogue amplification stages !

The location of the screening for the input amplifiers is obvious from the PCB marking and the presence of the holes for the screening can locator pins. Hantek were penny pinching when they removed the two screening cans from the BoM and used a relatively noisy switching regulator with poor decoupling. Positioning the RFI prone switching regulator close to the unscreened input channels was just adding insult to injury.

Aurora
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 03:16:37 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline jomor

« Reply #692 on: September 24, 2014, 08:39:22 pm »
thank you for your reply

then the next step after shielding the input channels, is to replace the switching regulator with a low noise analog one. Replacing the 1117 is also worth trying. I haven't done any measurements yet, but i asume the 1117 is for 5v-->3.3v regulation. What about the switching regulator? Is it a step up regulator, has anyone measured its output? If this is the case, perhaps a clean, separate power supply instead of usb 5v could solve the problem.

Offline Hernexto

« Reply #693 on: September 25, 2014, 12:01:57 pm »
Ooooook, so... after some days I finally manage to read the whooole thread!  ;D

I bought my 6022B*L* before the summer, knowing software is crap but I saw there were some open projects.

I trusted on open projects and I bought the unit anyway, but... now I see the unit with logic capabilities is not so 'accepted'.

I can change the .DLL file and use the open software (enough good for me from some months ago) so I'm happy and after so goooood job by RichardK I'm wondering if he managed to make the software easily work with my unit.

Is the beta18 the last one? (older links doesn't exist anymore, not sure if they are deleted manually or automatically. But his work without being on sourceforge/... it can be lost if RichardK dissappears or is being kidnapped.

PD: If you travel to Spain you will also have a some many beer 4 free!

Offline chemary

• Contributor
    • CheMaRy Web Page
« Reply #694 on: September 27, 2014, 05:01:44 pm »
Lots of thanks to RichardK, I bought one Hantek 6022BE only because I saw that a software alternative exists and after trying it, is very good.

I have found some visual problems maybe it's my computer configuration (Win 8.1 with AMD A10-7800 APU):
- Render Phospor leaves the trace static and very dim, if I resize the window the trace persistence appears but in two places (original and where it will be placed when resized). It seems like if image is being updated in a back buffer but not updated to screen.
- If I click on Render Phospor two times and then on normal mode, the trace brighness remains at 50% instead of returning to 100% as expected.
- If I close the program in when in Render Phospor when I open it again is in normal mode but screen is freezed (it may be in Render Phospor incorrectly checked the button of normal mode). I have to select Render Phospor and normal again to solve this problem.

Offline Andydb

« Reply #695 on: September 28, 2014, 01:06:07 pm »
Hi,
first I want to thank with RichardK for the nice and useful software that make our scope usable.

I've a very small issue to report, its connected to the waveform colors.
When you change colors (I've tested the second channel, I want it to mach the Hantek light blue channel color) it work correctly. When you reopen the application the color is not reloaded on the waveform but it is correctly displayed in the "waveform colors" (check attached image)

Here it is an extract from ini file after reopening the application:
[Colors]
CH1=65535
CH2=16776960
Math=8388736
Reference=15780518
XY=15780518

Hope this help

Andy

Offline chemary

• Contributor
    • CheMaRy Web Page
« Reply #696 on: September 28, 2014, 05:32:18 pm »
Some aditional issues:
- When I set 2V Volt/DIV (10x probe and display) and the input signal is a +12V ATX voltage I see a perfect straigh line at 10V, if I set 5V Volt/DIV y can see the 12V correctly with it's fluctuations.
- When I use Measure and I set "Entire Capture" the values I get are totally incorrect, but setting "Visible Capture" shows the correct values.
- When I try to save on Windows 8.1 I always get "'1.0' is not a valid floating point value".
- When Time/DIV is > 50.00ms the interface becomes quite unresponsible and I get access violation errors when I try to display some measures.

Offline kxdn

« Reply #697 on: October 03, 2014, 06:24:52 am »
This thread shows why we need open source software!

Offline Dave_S

« Reply #698 on: October 03, 2014, 07:17:25 am »

If you want open source just get sigrok and wait until they are ready to support this particular device.
http://sigrok.org/wiki/Supported_hardware#Oscilloscopes

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #699 on: October 09, 2014, 02:13:39 am »

If you read, RichardK said he would open-source it when he is done developing. He didn't want to release a half-baked product to the open-source community.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf