Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3071485 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #501 on: August 12, 2015, 02:42:48 pm »
The person running the "Official Fan Page" Batteroo youtube channel just made a threat against a commenter  :--
On this video:

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 02:46:39 pm by EEVblog »

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #502 on: August 12, 2015, 03:47:19 pm »
 :-- :-- :-- :--

Dave, as I mentioned to the other thread. Can they "attack" you for using parts of their video?

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #503 on: August 12, 2015, 04:00:50 pm »
Dave, as I mentioned to the other thread. Can they "attack" you for using parts of their video?
Who cares?  :-//

What's the worst that could happen? A DMCA takedown???  More publicity for Dave!  :-+

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #504 on: August 12, 2015, 04:15:57 pm »
:-- :-- :-- :--

Alexander.

It depends on the legal venue.  If it's the US, Dave quite likely falls under the category of a journalist, in which case it's "fair use." 

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #505 on: August 12, 2015, 04:22:57 pm »
I guess Dave is protected by Freedom of speech and "fair use". But if they hire a lawyer, it could be still a hassle for Dave. Looks like the Batteriser company has quite some money, because they can do all these expensive videos. But they live in USA and international lawsuits are very expensive, so they won't do anything.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline flextard

• Contributor
« Reply #506 on: August 12, 2015, 06:34:50 pm »
Yes, I saw the threat too!

Ridiculous!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 06:36:23 pm by flextard »

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #507 on: August 12, 2015, 06:44:44 pm »
This "threat" may merely be the doing of a devoted minion rather than a message from Dr. Bob himself. Still distasteful, but likely not credible.

Offline flextard

• Contributor
« Reply #508 on: August 12, 2015, 07:23:46 pm »
This "threat" may merely be the doing of a devoted minion rather than a message from Dr. Bob himself. Still distasteful, but likely not credible.

Sure

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #509 on: August 12, 2015, 07:31:23 pm »
The Youtube "fan page" is obiviously created by the company itself, see the professional "fan" videos. So they are responsible for what the channel owner writes, or at least approve it.
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #510 on: August 12, 2015, 07:50:20 pm »
The Youtube "fan page" is obiviously created by the company itself, see the professional "fan" videos. So they are responsible for what the channel owner writes, or at least approve it.

As goofy as they are and as silly as their response to Dave was, leveling a threat like that seems off-base for them. I stand ready to be proven wrong, however. I often am when it comes to matters of human nature.

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #511 on: August 12, 2015, 10:40:36 pm »
Just a heads-up on SYYNERGY7 (the poster of the most rcent 'support video')...

Google the handle SYYNERGY7, and you'll be impressed with this person's background and interests.
I won't run the full list here, as it is too expansive, but I'd guess he knows even less about battery chemistry than he does about Cat Flu or AIDS
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #512 on: August 12, 2015, 11:37:02 pm »

Not successfully, no.
My use of their video falls correctly under the Fair Use clause on Youtube for the purposes of review and critique.
Especially so given that I am essentially a journalist and media blogger.
They also didn't complain about my first video. Indeed they essentially "approved it" by responding with this follow-up video attempting to answer my criticism.
I'm sure they would rather my videos and other criticism on other blogs does not exist, but there is nothing they can do about it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 11:45:38 pm by EEVblog »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #513 on: August 12, 2015, 11:47:06 pm »
Comment about them using approved comments.

So they have time to read the comments to find them "lovely", but not enough time to actually approve them. Yeah, right  ::)

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #514 on: August 13, 2015, 04:29:20 am »
I see Dave's comment about battery mode on the GPS video, who knows how long it'll stay up though.

That video has not enough downvotes yet... keep on :--'ing it!

In looking through the comments I found this "supporter" who looks like another marketroid bot.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #515 on: August 14, 2015, 04:51:12 am »
An EDN article calling out Batterisers claims.
http://www.edn.com/electronics-blogs/brians-brain/4440136/The-Batteriser--scam-or-savior-

At the end of the day, although I commend Batteroo on its miniaturization achievement, I struggle to find a strong commercialization market opportunity for it. And attempting to rationalize early-adopter's investments in your company by means of dubious-at-best claims is penny-wise, pound-foolish.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 05:02:46 am by EEVblog »

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #516 on: August 14, 2015, 10:02:41 am »
An EDN article calling out Batterisers claims.
http://www.edn.com/electronics-blogs/brians-brain/4440136/The-Batteriser--scam-or-savior-
Very well written article, compact and informative, as most of the time at EDN. And your new official job title (I'm sure it would look nice on a business card) : debunker Dave Jones ;D

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #517 on: August 14, 2015, 10:04:05 pm »
Hi group,

I have presented a fairly detailed analysis, using LTspice, of the combination of Alkaline batteries and a battery_booster in this thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/modeling-an-alkaline-battery-in-ltspice/msg731360/#msg731360

Enjoy !!

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #518 on: August 15, 2015, 01:19:31 pm »
17,000 of your 250,000 subscribers? :)

They wish. Nope, it's something else, and I can see no mechanism were they can get that many views (with youtube counter lag) in so few days. Something smells fishy.

Do you have any means of tracking how many users click on the links in your video description? Could it be an idea to try an URL-shortening service that do? Would be very interesting to see exactly how much traffic (and thus roughly views) can be attributed to you.

I only watch these videos through your links, I suspect many of your viewers do.

Offline PeterL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #519 on: August 15, 2015, 02:02:41 pm »
The Youtube Batteroo fan announced a new video:

Seems a little bit of a weird fan to claim the product of his idol as his own doesn't it?
And who are
those whose revenue will be reduced
?

And why do they link to the Youtube channel of a fan that is
not in any way affiliated with Batteriser, or Batteroo Inc.
on their igg campain:

They seem to have a vimeo channel, but than again, that could well be another fan of course...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 02:04:54 pm by PeterL »

Offline _Andrew_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #520 on: August 15, 2015, 03:00:37 pm »
With the qualifications that Dr Bob Roohparvar Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and Mr Frankie Roohparvar M.S. in Electrical Engineering. I don't understand how they have got in to this mess regarding how to measure and determine the remaining usable energy in a battery.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #521 on: August 15, 2015, 04:39:38 pm »
Seems a little bit of a weird fan to claim the product of his idol as his own doesn't it?
And who are
those whose revenue will be reduced
?

And why do they link to the Youtube channel of a fan that is
not in any way affiliated with Batteriser, or Batteroo Inc.
on their igg campain:

He is a hired hand that promotes products on social media. That has been established a while back.

As for who are "those"? well, the whole campaign started with a tale of industrial espionage of breaking and entering to steal their tech. Whoever runs the campaign know exactly what they are doing and they are pretty good at human psychology used as a marketing tool.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #522 on: August 15, 2015, 05:30:04 pm »
With the qualifications that Dr Bob Roohparvar Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and Mr Frankie Roohparvar M.S. in Electrical Engineering. I don't understand how they have got in to this mess regarding how to measure and determine the remaining usable energy in a battery.

Inept, probably not. Money related.

Offline PeterL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #523 on: August 15, 2015, 05:52:04 pm »
My questions were meant to be more or less rhetorical, but:
He is a hired hand that promotes products on social media. That has been established a while back.
He (Batteriser Batteroo on Youtube) actually explained this himself when asked by someone called EEVblog  ;)

As for who are "those"? well, the whole campaign started with a tale of industrial espionage of breaking and entering to steal their tech. Whoever runs the campaign know exactly what they are doing and they are pretty good at human psychology used as a marketing tool.
Yeah, the fact that PCWorld (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2928997/batteriser-is-a-250-gadget-that-extends-disposable-battery-life-by-800-percent.html) published this 'industrial espionage' story is what bothers me the most anyway. How could a good journalist not have any doubts after this stupid robbery(psst: it was the battery industry!) story? Or this 800% claim?

But who are they trying to fool when they say about the YT channel: "We are not in any way affiliated with Batteriser, or Batteroo Inc. We are simply a fan page.". And why don't they have a YT channel? This just doesn't make sense to me at all.
And also the way they talk on both YT and IGG, to me that looks like they are very affiliated with each other.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #524 on: August 15, 2015, 09:19:40 pm »
My questions were meant to be more or less rhetorical, but:
He (Batteriser Batteroo on Youtube) actually explained this himself when asked by someone called EEVblog  ;)

Ooooo, race card, anyone care to point out how anyone could possibly assert that unless they are grasping at straws of course?

Just when you thought this couldn't get any more desperate.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf