Author Topic: DSOX2000 and 3000 series - licence , have anyone tried to hack that scope ?  (Read 1106557 times)

Svuppe, pgo and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline jrgandara

• Contributor
  • Good soldering!
After all my Sunday afternoon trying these method I finally succeed! Although there was some pit falls. Everything is working, including the MSO. But in this case I think we will not find any connector to insert in the scope to replicate the original, which must have some embedded hardware too. Any ideas?

Anyone have succeeded hacking the bandwidth from 70 to 100 or even 200 MHz?

Thanks a lot Plesa!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 05:39:22 pm by jrgandara »
[]s

JR

The following users thanked this post: Andrew

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
The "-l All" in plesa's hack should enable all licenses. But if you buy a 200 MHz license, you get some new 300 MHz probes. Maybe the scope tests the probe types.

BTW: the 16 channel digital input doesn't need any electronics, it is just ground and the input signals, and you can plug-in an old 40 pin IDE cable.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline grego

• Frequent Contributor
How to hack the firmware
1. Unpack the firmware *.cab by 7zip
2. Unpack infiniiVisionSetup.cab ( e.g. with WinCE CAB Manager 3.0)
    Find \Secure\infiniiVision\infiniiVisionCore.dll
3. Change at location 0x277e50 in infiniiVisionCore.dll
    byte sequence 04 00 a0 e1 to byte sequence 00 00 a0 e3
4. Enable startup Overide by creating USB flash with following structure in root of USB drive (copy structure from Secure folder from point 2)
    Edit in Startup folder file infiniivision.lnk to contains following sequence "62#\usb\infiniiVision\infiniivisionLauncher.exe -l All -l SCPIPS"
    Replace in infiniiVision folder  infiniiVisionCore.dll with patched infiniiVisionCore.dll file
5. Create infiniivisionStartupOverride.txt file in root of USB flash drive containing "True"
6. Plug the USB drive to scope and turn it ON
7. There will be red  message in letf top corner "Unfinalized Software"  and "System Concerns detected: OS version is not correct. Please reload system firmware"

Applications needed:
 WinCE CAB Manager http://www.ocpsoftware.com/products.php
 7Zip http://www.7-zip.org/

I'm assuming to back this out you just install the latest official firmware and call it a day?

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
How would you guys compare the DSOX2000 to the Rigol DS2000, both with all options (freely) activsted? I know that the Agilent scope maintains its waveform update rate much better than Rigol does; however, 1Mpt memory seems kind-of craptastic (how important is this)? Also the Agilent costs about 50% more.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
I'm assuming to back this out you just install the latest official firmware and call it a day?
This is based on the method plesa described in reply #142 in this thread and boots from the USB flash drive. If you unplug the USB flash drive, it boots the old firmware from the internal scope flash. You can add some copy commands in the startup script on the flash drive to install it permanently.
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
The "-l All" in plesa's hack should enable all licenses. But if you buy a 200 MHz license, you get some new 300 MHz probes. Maybe the scope tests the probe types.

BTW: the 16 channel digital input doesn't need any electronics, it is just ground and the input signals, and you can plug-in an old 40 pin IDE cable.

Fo the badwidth upgrade you will need to replace the mainboard, it is not software upgrade only. The 350/500 MHz version shares same probes.  The digital input pinout - upper row signal and the bottom one is ground.

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
Fo the badwidth upgrade you will need to replace the mainboard, it is not software upgrade only.

The scope bandwidth is a software upgrade with hardware required at 350MHz and 1GHz. The probes change at some frequencies as well.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
Looks like there are different bandwidth upgrades. I know this one, from 100 MHz to 200 MHz. But right, for the bandwidth upgrade to 350 MHz, it is not just software and the scope has to be sent to a service center. I guess they really change the mainboard and not set just some jumper, because of the high price :)

The datasheet for the 350 MHz update says, that the old 200 MHz update is obsolete, maybe new scopes are shipped with this license now without the need to buy it. And the 350 MHz hardware update allows an additional software license update to 500 MHz.

Offline fmaimon

• Supporter

The "-l All" in plesa's hack should enable all licenses...

If this command enable all licenses, what does the changes in infiniiVisionCore.dll do?

The following users thanked this post: Andrew, luisprata

Offline jrgandara

• Contributor
  • Good soldering!

Yes, it is all enabled in the Scope About, but the bandwidth still is showing 70MHz. I know the 200MHz need new probes, but those which came with the 70MHz is 150MHz and should work at least up to 100MHz if enabled.

Good to know about the IDE connector! I can´t find the pin out anywhere. Do you have this info to share?

[]s

JR

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
Looks like there are different bandwidth upgrades. I know this one, from 100 MHz to 200 MHz. But right, for the bandwidth upgrade to 350 MHz, it is not just software and the scope has to be sent to a service center. I guess they really change the mainboard and not set just some jumper, because of the high price :)

The datasheet for the 350 MHz update says, that the old 200 MHz update is obsolete, maybe new scopes are shipped with this license now without the need to buy it. And the 350 MHz hardware update allows an additional software license update to 500 MHz.

Thats really interesting, I did not see such a document. I just remember it from Agilent sales presentation. It needs to be investigated ;-)

Offline grego

• Frequent Contributor

Where do you see it's obsolete?  The document you linked to certainly doesn't.

Since the front-end has to change jumping to a 350Mhz scope requires it to be sent back in for a main board change (and new probes).  All the other upgrades are software-only (and new probes).

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
There is some big red text in the PDF on the first page: "Obsolete as of July 25".

Good to know about the IDE connector! I can´t find the pin out anywhere. Do you have this info to share?
See reply #196 from plesa.

The "-l All" in plesa's hack should enable all licenses...

If this command enable all licenses, what does the changes in infiniiVisionCore.dll do?
You can try it: it doesn't accept the command line parameters without the patch.

Offline grego

• Frequent Contributor
There is some big red text in the PDF on the first page: "Obsolete as of July 25".

Hah - my bad - I was looking for text.  However, I think they are saying the PROCESS is obsolete, not the upgrades.

Offline jrgandara

• Contributor
  • Good soldering!
If your don´t like those warning messages, just replace then in infiniiVisionCore.dll with any message you like using HexEdit.   8)
[]s

JR

The following users thanked this post: viki2000, Andrew, luisprata

Offline jrgandara

• Contributor
  • Good soldering!
Anyone get the bandwidth upgrade with this hack? Mine enabled all the features but the bandwidth. And yes, the "-l All" in Plesa's hack is there there.
[]s

JR

Offline rkupka

• Regular Contributor
Anyone get the bandwidth upgrade with this hack? Mine enabled all the features but the bandwidth. And yes, the "-l All" in Plesa's hack is there there.

Yes. upped from 100 MHz to 200 MHz on DSO-X2014

Offline jrgandara

• Contributor
  • Good soldering!
Mine is X-2002 and still stuck in 70MHz  :(
[]s

JR

Offline Sbampato12

• Regular Contributor
I tried it in a dsox-2002a, everything worked, except by the bandwidth whic remains 70MHz.
I didnt try a signal with more than 70MHz, but the scope info, show bw: 70.

This work with the dsox3000 too? the changes are the same?

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too

Dammit.  Every time I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a Rigol, I come in this thread and read something compelling enough to make me reconsider.

Offline DavidDLC

• Frequent Contributor

Dammit.  Every time I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a Rigol, I come in this thread and read something compelling enough to make me reconsider.

It's a beautiful scope, I started with a Rigol, then switched to Agilent and I don't have plans to go back to Rigol for a long period of time, unless there is a very huge reason.

David.

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too

It's a beautiful scope, I started with a Rigol, then switched to Agilent and I don't have plans to go back to Rigol for a long period of time, unless there is a very huge reason.

David.

It's probably ultimately going to swing in favor of Rigol again, once I price check a 4-channel Agilent vs. a 4-channel Rigol.  I want the Agilent more, but I can't afford $1900 for a DSOX2004A.

Unless Agilent somehow decide to gift me a scope, it will likely be the Rigol DS1104Z-S for me.  {insert the rare new scope sadface here}

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
Or you can get in on one of their Premium Used units on eBay which are like new and have the new extended warranty on them. I got my MSOX2024 for $1875. I bought the few upgrades I wanted and the VGA/LAN module, but yea getting them from this thread via the hack would be awesome too.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
Rigol are doing 4 channel 2000 series scopes now, which should be much cheaper than the 4000 series. Even with the eBay used shop it is hard to justify an Agilent with smaller memory and higher cost, even if the interface is a bit more fluid. Even so, they are just such nice scopes...
DS2000 series with 4 Channel?  :o
How do you know that?
My English can be pretty bad, so suggestions are welcome. ;)
Space Weather.
Lightning & Thunderstorms in Real Time.

Offline dfnr2

• Regular Contributor
I just now scanned this thread with interest, as I just picked up an MS0X3104A on Ebay.   I actually wanted the probes that came with it, and haven't decided if I will keep the scope (I don't plan to.  I plan to play with it for a while, then re-sell it.) 

In the meanwhile, I'd like to explore the LAN/VGA functionality without springing for the module.  So I followed the discussion here with interest.  Did anyone ultimately make a PCB for the LAN/VGA functionality?  If so, I'd like to avoid duplicating the effort.

Thanks for any info.

Dave

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf