Author Topic: EEVblog #512 - Rigol DP832 Bad Design Investigation  (Read 321961 times)

Offline stormbr

• Regular Contributor
Re: EEVblog #512 - Rigol DP832 Bad Design Investigation
« Reply #300 on: September 03, 2013, 10:35:43 pm »
I've yet my super nes, twenty years old and work very well. :)

In my case the recall will be very expensive and sure i'll has fix this alone.

How i dont know yet, but i think that will need design other small pcb just to the lm317 and integrate this with wired of 2 mm (750v) in your the original place.

But the better is learn with the new releases of rigol.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 10:44:09 pm by stormbr »

Offline Dread

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #301 on: September 04, 2013, 03:43:53 am »
I quite impressed how many of members who purchased this crappy power supply is going to repair it by yourself.
I really do not understand why not to return unit to Rigol distributor, this will make the pressure on them.
Quote from this page on cognitive dissonance:

"(...) A more common example of cognitive dissonance occurs in the purchasing decisions we make on a regular basis. Most people want to hold the belief that they make good choices. When a product or item we purchase turns out badly, it conflicts with our previously existing belief about our decision-making abilities. (...)"

Also see irate comments directed at anyone trying to discuss the bigger issues behind these minor technical problems.

Bingo!
And that's why certain people get so personal about it. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 03:52:36 am by Dread »
The Optimist says the glass is half full, the Pessimist says its half empty, an engineer only see's a glass that’s twice as big as it needs to be!

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #302 on: September 04, 2013, 04:06:14 am »
I quite impressed how many of members who purchased this crappy power supply is going to repair it by yourself.
I really do not understand why not to return unit to Rigol distributor, this will make the pressure on them.
Quote from this page on cognitive dissonance:

"(...) A more common example of cognitive dissonance occurs in the purchasing decisions we make on a regular basis. Most people want to hold the belief that they make good choices. When a product or item we purchase turns out badly, it conflicts with our previously existing belief about our decision-making abilities. (...)"

Also see irate comments directed at anyone trying to discuss the bigger issues behind these minor technical problems.

Bingo!
And that's why certain people get so personal about it.

Exactly.

People for whom half their posts are in threads complaining about one brand of equipment (scopes, PSU's, etc) and who own the competing brands :-DD
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline wizzy

• Contributor
« Reply #303 on: September 04, 2013, 06:42:37 am »
On Sunday night I ordered the DP832 from www.eyou.com.au an Australian provider in Victoria.
Before proceeding I asked if they could provide the new model, with the fix. They said they had no way of knowing without opening the box but would be willing to exchange when Rigol responds.

Today it arrived; I quickly unboxed it and can confirm that the regulator is in the position shown on the image Rigol provided dave. (Clearly visible through the side grill)

It is the new revision of the board.

I will now have to find a way to measure the temperature.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 06:50:12 am by wizzy »

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #304 on: September 04, 2013, 07:30:34 am »
On Sunday night I ordered the DP832 from www.eyou.com.au an Australian provider in Victoria.
Before proceeding I asked if they could provide the new model, with the fix. They said they had no way of knowing without opening the box but would be willing to exchange when Rigol responds.

Today it arrived; I quickly unboxed it and can confirm that the regulator is in the position shown on the image Rigol provided dave. (Clearly visible through the side grill)

That was fast!

I am sure a lot of us are VERY interested in your temp readings.  Thanks!
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #305 on: September 04, 2013, 09:37:35 am »

It looks like you could get an infrared reading through the side grill. To me, it looks like the thermal resistance from heatsink#1 to heatsink#2 has been reduced by at least 100 - 200% (without taking into account the new placement of the caps).

Offline unnecessarynitpicker

« Reply #306 on: September 04, 2013, 12:45:43 pm »
Does the new board still have the power on bug or did they just fix the overheating regulator?

Offline wizzy

• Contributor
« Reply #307 on: September 04, 2013, 12:56:59 pm »
I won't be able to get my infrared on there. I was planning on getting a thermocouple anyway.

Should be able to get some readings tomorrow night.

Offline twjtwj

• Contributor
« Reply #308 on: September 04, 2013, 04:10:04 pm »
I just received mine today from tequipment.net (US model).  I shined a light into the side and it appears I have the "Dave Jones" model.  I've had it on for about 15 minutes with all channels on, but it hasn't rebooted yet. This is a fresh from the box trail.

I'll run some temperature probe tests when I get a chance tonight (unless my 5 month year old thinks otherwise).

Offline Ericho

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #309 on: September 04, 2013, 05:24:48 pm »
Dave,

Should I go for one of these ? after all its just a 10$ fix ones it runs out of waranty to make it reliable for the next 10 years.

It still seems like good value for money even if I end up with the "Dave Jones" model.

I will use it an hour or 2 a week at most.

The new picture version is good enough as is for me, I don't realy expect more then what I pay for. Rigol fits nice in what I need and willing to pay category.

Anyone have some advice as where to buy a DS2072 and maybe a PS, I live in Belgium Europe.

brgds,
Eric

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #310 on: September 04, 2013, 05:56:06 pm »
It still seems like good value for money even if I end up with the "Dave Jones" model.

Unless you need something today I'd wait for the revision.  Yeah what we've seen so far is an easy fix, but who knows where else they cheapened out, needs a bit more time to be trusted, right now they are sitting at 0% trustworthiness.

Good and reasonably priced power supplies come up on ebay often.

Offline Ericho

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #311 on: September 04, 2013, 06:44:04 pm »
Nope, I donn't need it today. My PS's are just old and have no presets etc. I Always seem to run out off DDM's when I'm fideling around and thats anoying.

It make sense to wait a bit and just buy a DS2072 for now and a user frendly PS later. After all it's just the shipping costs.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #312 on: September 04, 2013, 07:05:28 pm »
Anyone have some advice as where to buy a DS2072 and maybe a PS, I live in Belgium Europe.
Batronix is the obvious Rigol supplier in the EU (30 day trial period) - but you can also send EEVBlog member drieg (Petr Smid - Silcon Electronics) an email or PM, and see if he might have a better deal for you than Batronix.

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #313 on: September 04, 2013, 07:38:37 pm »
Or you can get Siglent SPD3303S/D from http://www.futu-tech.de/

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #314 on: September 04, 2013, 07:43:20 pm »
Or you can get Siglent SPD3303S/D from http://www.futu-tech.de/
He was asking about a DSO.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:06:10 pm by marmad »

Offline wizzy

• Contributor
« Reply #315 on: September 04, 2013, 08:25:50 pm »
For those asking for the serial number: DP8C1532014XX

Offline lemon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #316 on: September 04, 2013, 08:44:49 pm »
Do you know from what serial number done this new board revision?

That is unknown at this stage.
Should be visible through the vent holes though.

@ wizzy = this is the serial number that from this and after they fixed the issue?

Today I received the DP-832 that I have ordered before one month.

I can't break the warranty tape to see inside and I can't to see well inside via the side holes because it was afternoon.

I worked with this without any load for an hour and push the sense of temprature from the side holes. I write maximum temperature 65°C with ambient 27-28°C.
For the next two hours with loads and no loads the temprature was 58-65°C.
The serial number is DP8C1533014XX.
Before I receive the psu, ask from Owon Dealer to my country to confirm me that this psu hasn't this issue. They contacted with Owon Service Depatrment in Germany and the answers that gave them was "We have fixed that problem and your mentioned product has not that problem".

Tomorrow with the light of day, I'll try to see better via the holes and perhaps take a good photo from this area of board.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:50:30 pm by lemon »

Offline TerminalJack505

• Super Contributor
« Reply #317 on: September 04, 2013, 09:08:21 pm »
I have an original style one, with the heatsink behind the caps. Makes them difficult to measure but mine reached 80C as best I can tell after 20 minutes. No crashes.

80C seems high to me. I expect that the regulator is a lot higher... But maybe not 40C higher. Still, the caps are only 105C rated.

Zeitech claims that this model is "fixed" because it has the correct transformer in it. Perhaps they used a 9V tap or something. I'm not sure how to proceed, since I don't really want to open it when I know there may be a manufacturing defect. For reference my serial number is DP8C152400672.

I hope you mean the case is getting to 80C and not the heatsink.  Even with the case at 80C the die is running at 105C, assuming 5 watts of heat.

Offline wizzy

• Contributor
« Reply #318 on: September 04, 2013, 10:08:34 pm »

@ wizzy = this is the serial number that from this and after they fixed the issue?

I believe I have a new board. Looking in through the vent on the right hand side I can see the black heat sink clearly and it is in the location shown in the image Rigol provided.

I should be able to get a temp on it tonight.

Offline twjtwj

• Contributor
« Reply #319 on: September 05, 2013, 12:14:43 am »
My unit has not rebooted yet, but I was able to touch the regulator with a heat probe though the case (Fluke temperature probe hooked up to a Fluke 289).  The temp made it up to 98 degrees Celsius with all of the inputs on. :(  It's confirmed that I have a "Dave Jones" model.  :palm:

Again. This a US unit I bought from tequipment.net and it shipped last week.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #320 on: September 05, 2013, 12:17:42 am »
Again. This a US unit I bought from tequipment.net and it shipped last week.

Which further proves they are shipping known defective equipment, on purpose, deliberately, hoping their customers just don't happen to notice. 

Pathetic....    :--

Offline twjtwj

• Contributor
« Reply #321 on: September 05, 2013, 12:28:10 am »
Well to be fair it may have been on a boat for a week or two to get here (tequipment said they arrive by boat, or at least my oscilloscope did). They said it was one of about 300 units shipped to them. If it means anything the calibration time (I think they meant date) is "2013-7-1". So it may be almost 2 months old.

Is there anyone out there with a "fixed" board that can tell me the calibration date of their unit (Utility menu -> next 2/2 -> Test/Cal)?

Offline wizzy

• Contributor
« Reply #322 on: September 05, 2013, 02:27:37 am »
I have borrowed a k type thermocouple probe from a work colleague and will measure the temp of the heat sink tonight.

Is there anyone out there with a "fixed" board that can tell me the calibration date of their unit (Utility menu -> next 2/2 -> Test/Cal)?
I will post my calibration date when I get home.

Offline warp_foo

• Supporter
« Reply #323 on: September 05, 2013, 02:53:03 am »

For those looking to narrow down the affected serial number range, my unit is DP8C15230058X, and I have the 'broken' version. The heatsink appears to be the same as in riconette's photo in post #84.

Purchased late July, delivered first week of August.

m
Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #324 on: September 05, 2013, 03:06:23 am »
Mine is DP8C152600824
Factory cal'ed on 9th July.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf