Author Topic: Agilent's ETM business has new name  (Read 86838 times)

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
Re: Agilent's ETM business has new name
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2014, 04:18:19 am »
Could have just called it Won Hung Lo and be done with it. I wonder how much the consultancy was paid for this name change? I expect many Keylite and Kaysight brands to start popping up. Does Sony not want their Walkman symbol back?

I think Wun Hung Lo Technologies is clearer and better sounding.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2014, 04:25:07 am »
lol! - is it really such a big deal?

Yes, it's a real big deal. Many generations of engineers grew up and worked with and loved HP gear all their lives. The Agilent name change sucked, and even after a decade many still affectionately call them HP. This new name change is even shittier.

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2014, 04:29:07 am »

Yes, it's a real big deal. Many generations of engineers grew up and worked with and loved HP gear all their lives. The Agilent name change sucked, and even after a decade many still affectionately call them HP. This new name change is even shittier.

There may be a market there for HP stick on labels for Agilent and Wun Hung Lo Keysight equipment.

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2014, 04:30:35 am »

There may be a market there for HP stick on labels for Agilent and Wun Hung Lo Keysight equipment.

wouldn't those be illegal since you're misusing their trademark? (or whatever legal crap is involved)
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2014, 05:44:05 am »
Looks like they had other logo ideas in mind as well.
https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=968&q=keysight&oq=keysight&gs_l=img.3..0i10i24l2.1576.2969.0.4283.8.8.0.0.0.0.119.734.4j4.8.0....0...1ac.1.32.img..1.7.617.sLhD8HZJ9k8#imgdii=_

Nice find
http://www.trademarkia.com/correspondent-andrew-roppel-1-185192
http://www.trademarkia.com/keysight-technologies-86131209.html

And other names. The same lawyer registered

Altogon
Altogon Technologies
Vectelo
Vectelo Technologies
Altagon
Altagon Tech
Sightshift
Sightshift Tech
Stormkey
Boldsight
Keyhawk
Boldfire

Maybe some were only to disguise the real application. Alt least let's hope so. Boldfire? Keyhawk? RLY?

Would I had to choose from that list I would have selected Altagon. Same suckieness factor as Agilent.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 05:49:56 am by Bored@Work »
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2014, 05:44:38 am »
That TM is submitted end November and not yet validated.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2014, 06:18:36 am »
Looks like the marketing team thought up a name, did a search on the US trademark website under Test and Measurement and did not think of doing a search globally, or doing so world wide ( quite a failure on the part of an international company) to check there are not other companies with that name.

They frankly would be better off taking the HP logo, adding the new one under it in a box and calling themselves HP ETM, an independent division of Hewlett Packard Inc.

Not registered at all in the world, had brand recognition, and I will allow them to use this brand for a very low cost. Fee available on request.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2014, 06:53:54 am »
They frankly would be better off taking the HP logo, adding the new one under it in a box and calling themselves HP ETM, an independent division of Hewlett Packard Inc.

But Agilent legally have nothing at all to do with HP any more. They really did split into two different companies.
But yes, if I was them I would have gone back to the HP name in some form, and tried to acquire the old logo rights, or do a new one that's reminiscent.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2014, 07:15:14 am »
This is a brand page for the KEYSIGHT TECHNOLOGIES trademark by Corundum Holdings, LLC in Wilmington, DE, 19808. Write a review about a product or service associated with this KEYSIGHT TECHNOLOGIES trademark. Or, contact the owner Corundum Holdings, LLC of the KEYSIGHT TECHNOLOGIES trademark by filing a request to communicate with the Legal Correspondent for licensing, use, and/or questions related to the KEYSIGHT TECHNOLOGIES trademark.
Status Update! On Thursday, December 12, 2013, status on the KEYSIGHT TECHNOLOGIES trademark changed to NEW APPLICATION - RECORD INITIALIZED NOT ASSIGNED TO EXAMINER.

Something very telling here... A holding company out of Delaware. For those who are outside the US, Delaware is home to many companies that don't exist in Delaware.

For example, Agilent which is in Palo Alto, could open a P.O. Box in Delaware and incorporate as a Delaware corporation and bypass corporate taxes since Delaware does not tax corporations.

There are lots of radio ads I hear for companies offering to incorporate you in Nevada or Delaware so you can live without paying state taxes.

When Walt Disney was planning on building Disney World in Florida, he formed a holding company that had no references to Disney and bought up land from whomever would sell in the area. If they had known it was being sold to Disney, they would have jacked up their prices.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2014, 07:20:36 am »
Would I had to choose from that list I would have selected Altagon. Same suckieness factor as Agilent.

Its obvious those medical/lab division is making the real money and probably feeding the whole company, hence keeping the Agilent name, while T&M division got sour and kicked out and separated, and will have to start all over again to establish the brand name from the scratch.

Like above B@W examples: Altogon, Vectelo, Altagon , its obvious these sound so Western, compared to Keysight, Sightshift, Stormkey, Boldsight, Keyhawk, Boldfire, to me these sound or taste more friendlier to "Oriental" ears  ?   :P

A preparation to attract potential Chinese buyers ?    :-//

Edit : Another thought, what happened to T&M market if Danaher bought this Keysight ?  >:D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 07:25:33 am by BravoV »

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2014, 07:56:54 am »
My choices:
1. Weyland-Yutani
2. The Umbrella Corporation
3. LexCorp
4. Omni Consumer Products
5. Cyberdyne Systems
6. Shinra Corporation
7. Stark Industries
8. Soylent Corp.
9. MomCorp
10. Initech
11. Aperture Labs
12. InGen
13. Reynholm Industries
14. Ewing Industries
15. Recall Corporation
16. Nakatomi Corporation
17. Contoso
18. Union Aerospace
19. Yoyoydyne
20. Magitech Industries

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2014, 08:00:32 am »
Don't forget

Supreme Macaroni Co.
for(;;);

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2014, 08:02:00 am »
Potential new name ...

M.O.A.R.  :-DD (after the acquisition by (M)astech (O)won (A)tten (R)igol consortium)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 08:08:17 am by BravoV »

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2014, 08:05:36 am »
Potential new name ... M.O.A.R.  :-DD (after the acquisition by (M)astech (O)won (A)tten (R)igol consortium)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2014, 08:06:38 am »
Another one ...

R.A.M.B.O.   >:D (after the acquisition by (R)igol (A)tten (M)astech (B)rymen (O)won consortium)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 08:13:22 am by BravoV »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2014, 08:11:09 am »
Like above B@W examples: Altogon, Vectelo, Altagon , its obvious these sound so Western, compared to Keysight, Sightshift, Stormkey, Boldsight, Keyhawk, Boldfire, to me these sound or taste more friendlier to "Oriental" ears  ?   :P
"Boldfire" sounds like something the 18650 recyclers would use...

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2014, 08:17:01 am »
Edit : Another thought, what happened to T&M market if Danaher bought this Keysight ?  >:D

Competition laws.

....list...

Acme Technologies
Vandelay Industries

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2014, 08:17:27 am »
"Boldfire" sounds like something the 18650 recyclers would use...

Yup, after seeing like SureFire, TrueFire, thats definitely a good one.  :-+  :palm:

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2014, 09:17:03 am »

Competition laws.

Meh , no biggy ... few calls at those boys at Pentagon + lobby at few senators, a special closed non public Senate hearing committee with Danaher that may start with something sounds similar with these ....

".... trust me Senators, you don't want these MOAR or RAMBO brands equipments to be installed in our sub-marines, radar, military bases etc, and also our puppies allies military premises like the Oz, Canuck, Britton etc ... "  >:D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 09:22:04 am by BravoV »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2014, 09:50:44 am »
Do "Union Aerospace" Astronauts have to show their card before they can enter the Spacecraft?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2014, 09:56:07 am »
And then what? Slap a Tektronix badge on an Agilent scope? What good would that do to Danaher other than eliminating a competing brand which already killed itself?
I think the buyer of Agilent T&M is already known. I put my money R&S or Rigol.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2014, 02:24:27 pm »
And other names. The same lawyer registered

Altogon
Altogon Technologies
Vectelo
Vectelo Technologies

Reading too quickly, I had to backtrack and make sure that didn't say "Alvogon Technologies".  Perhaps their T&M division has been scheduled for demolition to make way for a new hyperspace bypass...

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2014, 02:47:58 pm »
Investors.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-19/agilent-technologies-to-split-into-two-public-companies.html

So a company is split to avoid confusing investors with two business areas - fair enough but did it really require a complete name change? What is wrong with say companies called Agilent LS and Agilent TM?

Are investors stupid enough to be confused by similar names?

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2014, 02:57:30 pm »
Greetings EEVBees:

--The name reminds me of an old Bob and Ray routine about the local news show called "Keywitness News" and Belinda Gorney the news reporter that drove the Keywitness News station wagon with a big key painted on the side. As Mark Twain would say "It has kind of a simpering monkey with a parasol gait to it."

"All cats are grey in the dark" [From "In Praise of Older Women"]
Benjamin Franklin  1706 - 1790

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf