Author Topic: 3D Printer yet?  (Read 324970 times)

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #300 on: February 06, 2020, 01:13:31 pm »
So far it looks like an unnecessary yet another tool to fiddle with (most probably at each print), and periodically clean the dust off of it.  Also fumes (used inside), and buzzing stepper noises for hours, not to say the risk of it catching fire when left to print unsupervised.

Does it all worth?  Does a filament 3D printer justify itself once you have it?

You're really the only one that can say, it's one of those "inner self" things - if you don't have the fire-in-the-belly to go after it, I wouldn't bother either because there will be frustrations. There is fiddling and time learning and failed prints and background noise - all that is true. But for the most part it does work.

Like all of us, If you want to justify not doing it, then you will find a way to do that. If you want to justify doing it, then same answer. Good luck on your decision.  :popcorn:

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: RoGeorge

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #301 on: February 06, 2020, 02:03:15 pm »
So far it looks like an unnecessary yet another tool to fiddle with (most probably at each print), and periodically clean the dust off of it.  Also fumes (used inside), and buzzing stepper noises for hours, not to say the risk of it catching fire when left to print unsupervised.

You're really the only one that can say, it's one of those "inner self" things - if you don't have the fire-in-the-belly to go after it, I wouldn't bother either because there will be frustrations. There is fiddling and time learning and failed prints and background noise - all that is true. But for the most part it does work.

Like all of us, If you want to justify not doing it, then you will find a way to do that. If you want to justify doing it, then same answer. Good luck on your decision.  :popcorn:

A very good answer.

Many tools I have fall in that category.  A lathe.  eCAD software and many more.  There are work arounds for all of them.  Most of the world uses those work arounds, and just purchase a finished product or does without. 

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #302 on: February 07, 2020, 01:52:41 am »
I reckon it is more fun to roll your own better quality workarounds ;)

As part of upping my woodworking tool collection I added a Bobbin sander to the toys, partly for finishing off Templates, Enclosures and Laser Cut edges as well as general use.

Triton thought of on board holders for ALMOST everything but forgot about the spindle tension washers which will almost certainly get lost over time  ::) There are six different dust plates and one will almost always be fitted in the sander so it leaves a slot free to make a 100mm diameter disc to hold the washers. So out with Fusion 360 and roll up a model to 3D print. This could have also been Laser Cut as shown in acrylic or 3mm Ply with the front face where the large washer sits would need a heavy engrave or sanding as it is a touch over 3mm thick.

With the model I made for 3D printing it took me under 10 minutes to create the Laser version using the same basic sketch as shown so 3D print or Laser use the process that suits best. Currently making the 3D printed one and I might make an Acrylic one next time I have some on the Laser.

Someone better find me some TEA worth buying woodworking gear is sending me broke  ;D

Edit Added a picture of the printed item.

Edit of the Edit Added a couple of pics of a Laser cut MDF one while I was cutting some other bits.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 03:15:28 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #303 on: February 08, 2020, 07:19:52 pm »
Does a filament 3D printer justify itself once you have it?

You're really the only one that can say

Noooo!  Not the answer I was looking for.  Was waiting for an enthusiastic  "Yes, absolutely!  Anybody should have at least one!".   ;D

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #304 on: February 09, 2020, 01:06:02 pm »
Noooo!  Not the answer I was looking for.  Was waiting for an enthusiastic  "Yes, absolutely!  Anybody should have at least one!".   ;D

Well why didn't you say so?

Yes, absolutely!  Anybody should have at least one!
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #305 on: February 09, 2020, 05:17:55 pm »

Offline Canis Dirus Leidy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #306 on: February 09, 2020, 07:21:50 pm »
It depends. For example, this guy uses a printer to create shell moulds. More convenient than messing with wax.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #307 on: February 12, 2020, 10:38:11 pm »
Here's a comparison of cheap no-name Chinese filament to USA-made Atomic filament. As soon as I opened the plastic wrap the difference was apparent. Atomic filament looks like a glass rod and the no-name looks like a rough pipe. There is even a dirt speck in the cheap filament.

I'm printing a tool holder right now for comparison, but from what I see on the bed already, it will be a knockout winner over the cheap stuff.  :box:

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #308 on: February 14, 2020, 08:52:07 am »
I have figured out what temperature my Creality Borosilicate surface releases at it releases at Aussie Summer -10C  :phew: Six small prints for the day and each one meant take the bed off each time and shove it in the fridge to release then take it out wipe dry and clean with IPA and do it all again |O

Not sure what others have found but it is somewhere in the high 20's C and no way above 30 to get it to release.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #309 on: February 14, 2020, 10:12:44 pm »
Have you tried one of these? I find they work very well, prints just pop off with little force when they cool down. I haven't used my BS or glass mirror tiles since getting this.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/240-310mm-Anycubic-Ultrabase-Glass-Build-Platform-For-3D-Printer-MK2-MK3-Heatbed/292563200860?hash=item441e202b5c:m:mvpnMB6ewX1CIZ92knXainA:sc:AU_StandardDelivery!4305!AU!-1
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #310 on: February 14, 2020, 10:14:45 pm »
I have figured out what temperature my Creality Borosilicate surface releases at it releases at Aussie Summer -10C  :phew: Six small prints for the day and each one meant take the bed off each time and shove it in the fridge to release then take it out wipe dry and clean with IPA and do it all again |O

Not sure what others have found but it is somewhere in the high 20's C and no way above 30 to get it to release.

Printing on glass is a bit archaic..

Perhaps move on to a spring steel bed with a suitable surface.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #311 on: February 14, 2020, 10:23:03 pm »
Have you tried one of these? I find they work very well, prints just pop off with little force when they cool down. I haven't used my BS or glass mirror tiles since getting this.

As per this post https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/3d-printer-yet/msg2894318/#msg2894318 The Creality is very similar to the Ultrabase it just won't release above 30C which is fine for most it is just a PITA in an Aussie Summer.

With Spring steel how do the magnets stand up long term if you want to run ABS bed temperatures?

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #312 on: February 14, 2020, 10:25:58 pm »
With Spring steel how do the magnets stand up long term if you want to run ABS bed temperatures?

Just fine if they're the proper type. My Prusa runs up to 120C happily.

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #313 on: February 14, 2020, 11:36:52 pm »
Well, I'm using mine in an un-air conditioned Queensland summer. I use the heated bed at 50 degrees, so I'm not sure if that makes it work with a temperature differential between printing and not.
I've just not had a bad experience with the Ultrabase. Prints stick really well too but YMMV.
Now when using glass... that's where the release problems were happening, the prints either stuck too well and not releasing or I was too slack with re-doing the hair spray coating, and weren't sticking well enough.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #314 on: February 15, 2020, 12:09:56 am »
When the bed temp sensor is still sitting at 35C after 30 minutes and the print is stuck then the Creality Base is an issue. It is not a bad thing just a PITA thing. Yesterday the shack was toward the high 30's C for most of the day. In Victoria it is only a real issue I guess for 30 days a year and I tend not to do a lot of work when it gets toward 40C so generally not an issue.

I am still using plain Glass on the CR-10S but I have a brand new Ultrabase styled top for it too but I like the mirror finish I can get straight off Glass with no adhesive using PLA. Just keep it super clean and pre wipe with IPA and it still has a place for cosmetic reasons. The slight dimpling with the Ultrabase I don't mind either just I prefer the smooth finish. Where I see the Ultrabase top being a good thing is for PETG where I am hoping not to need another adhesive.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #315 on: February 15, 2020, 11:56:11 pm »
Much cooler today so the bed released much quicker without the fridge. Two layers of 3mm Laser Cut Acrylic teamed with a small sliding 3D printed knob on top and steel threaded insert underneath. Still need to grind a point on the 2mm pin and glue the two bits of Acrylic together.

Custom Router/Trimmer Circle cutting Jig.

Bits in the background are a Router Table insert and 3D printed dust inserts.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #316 on: February 16, 2020, 12:45:25 am »
I got a new glass bed today. I ordered it because I didn't like some things about the one I had which was Creality branded. I don't know who really makes this one - I don't think it's Creality - but I do know this - it made a very big change in my first layer adhesion and quality.

It's this one - eBay auction: #233438591228

That stars test pattern has never printed as well as it did on this bed.

The black pattern/material surface doesn't appear the same as the Creality bed under a magnifier. Also - and I never thought this was a good thing - the Creality bed has large white letters painted right over the adhesion surface smack dab in the center! This one is left completely blank - no paint decorations. And the prints are really sticking to this one. So it's pretty interesting what this bed is doing for me now.  :-+

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #317 on: February 25, 2020, 01:52:27 am »
Random 3D printing video. Very good results given it is over 3 years old and a bit inspiring given the age of the designer not to mention some good ideas on practical printing. Woodworking sort of bias but some Jigs, guides and bits for us Electronic nuts too. Seems to be using a Prusa MK II.

Tie in a shop with rotating machines without a clip is a throwback but  :scared:

Proof you are never to old to learn a new skill  :-+

« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 01:59:48 am by beanflying »

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #318 on: February 25, 2020, 11:59:25 pm »
The 3D filament brand eSun has their head office is in Wuhan. Their manufacturing plant is in another city in Hubei. A local supplier is concerned in a few weeks he won't be able to get product, due to COVID-19.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #319 on: February 26, 2020, 12:09:35 am »
Given the sea freight lag we won't be seeing any effect for another few months with any of the cheaper Chinese Filaments in Oz.

There is at a pinch always locally made (more expensive) https://aurarum.com.au/ plus plenty of US or European for a bit more again. Unlike some of the Electronics industry there is alternates at least without going broke waiting.

Offline Jan Audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #320 on: February 28, 2020, 02:53:25 pm »
I cant find any cheap filaments on aliexpress or ebay.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #321 on: February 28, 2020, 10:49:37 pm »
I've been playing with the Linear Advance option in Marlin 1.1.9. It can be enabled in the Configuration_adv.h file by uncommenting this line

#define LIN_ADVANCE

in the Marlin source code. You can read about it here -

https://marlinfw.org/docs/features/lin_advance.html

It compensates with pressure changes in the nozzle as the movement changes while extruding material. It actually works, as you can see in the pics.

First pic is without the option compiled, using a test pattern you can get generated here -

https://marlinfw.org/tools/lin_advance/k-factor.html

You can see the changes in the extruded line width at different speed and accelerations (the control algorithm is not compiled here).

Second is with the option compiled and the test pattern running using different values of "K". It looks like I'll be using a K value of 1.0 for all my future prints, which is set by issuing an M900 command,

M900 K1.0

which can be included in the gcode at the beginning of your files.

940480-0

940484-1

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #322 on: March 01, 2020, 04:46:14 am »
I must do some more looking at Marlin in my 'spare' time'  :palm:

Finally got around to using a simple print I made last week. Teamed with a good chunk of Laser Cut Acrylic and a Steel Weld Nut for the pivot lock.

Sometimes 3D printing is the bit to make it all work and be bodge free rather than the entire project ;)

Offline chickadee

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #323 on: March 03, 2020, 07:05:43 pm »
I got this prusa and upgraded it to the latest revision but these hobby level printers seem incredibly limited in real world usefulness.  Does anyone on here have a commercial machine like a stratasys?  Was it worth it?  It seems like there are some great deals from liquidators and all you need to do is handle the transportation (and have a 3 phase power outlet or 3 phase converter available).  Then you can print...  Anything?  3D printing projectile weapons is getting big in USA and it seems that a machine like this would put you head and shoulders above anyone doing it with a hobby machine.
Chick-a-deee-deeee-deee-DEE-DEEE! xD <3

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #324 on: March 03, 2020, 08:11:46 pm »
I got this prusa and upgraded it to the latest revision but these hobby level printers seem incredibly limited in real world usefulness. 

Not exactly sure how you are using the term "real world usefulness" here. I can say without a doubt I have made use of mine for "real world usefulness" tasks, and so has beanflying and others here.

Perhaps I don't understand what you mean by "real world usefulness"  :-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf