Author Topic: 3D Printer yet?  (Read 324899 times)

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #375 on: March 22, 2020, 11:31:43 am »
68.61 mm? That's waaaaay off dude! :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #376 on: March 22, 2020, 01:29:47 pm »
I have to admit my first 3 seconds saw that number as well.....  ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #377 on: March 22, 2020, 05:39:06 pm »

2nd XYZ Cubey after relevel & dropping bed temp to 50°C. Some X-axis banding indicates I need to tighten up the belt on the printhead a bit. That recurring blem on the top surface as the printhead leaves the finished print is something I should be able to fix in Cura; it appears on 3DBenchy too. Honestly, quite decent prints as-is, tho.  :-+

Time to move onto the SS Benchy.  ;)

mnem
"That'll do, Digg. That'll do."
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 05:45:44 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #378 on: March 23, 2020, 12:13:34 am »
Toot-Tooot!

Very pleased with Benchy too. A few slubs in the finish on the hull, a little stringing on the underside of the roof, some clumping at the top of the arches. I could spend days tweaking to get rid of these, but really the only bit that bothers me is how poorly the print on the stern resolved; that should be a little more pronounced, even given how shallow the depth is. The random slubs on the surface are likely due to settings affecting the layer starting points; I can probably tune that out in Cura but like everything, there are tradeoffs.

Generally, I make functional pieces rather than decorative... so even if I don't change a damned thing, still pleased.  :-+

mnem

« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 12:21:14 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #379 on: March 23, 2020, 11:12:13 am »
Try this one mnementh.  :popcorn:

954700-0
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #380 on: March 24, 2020, 12:20:53 am »
Currently working on a temp tower to get bridging somewhat under control. Then a petsfang E3 V2 so I can get away from these screamin-mimi 30-40mm fans.  :palm: Then, once I have the wind blowing my way, I'll try some stringing towers to get extrusion/retraction dialed in.

Then, I had my eye on this:   

mnem
*ice cream headache*
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 08:10:47 pm by mnementh »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #381 on: March 24, 2020, 01:29:26 am »
So Dave was given a Resin Printer but wasn't sent any resin to use it with :palm: When pointed out he would be needing IPA for cleanup too  :-DD

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #382 on: March 24, 2020, 01:46:32 am »
LOL.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #383 on: March 24, 2020, 02:23:14 am »
"Here, have this 2-man nuclear submarine to review FOR FREE!!! Fuel not included."

mnem
"Radiation suits, fuel containment and chelating treatments extra."

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #384 on: March 24, 2020, 04:30:21 pm »
That is a truly wicked test print mnementh!  I can't imagine how you get those 90 degree overhangs to work (apparently without printing support).  I have found it easier to design those overhangs out of prints than to make them work.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #385 on: March 24, 2020, 05:46:47 pm »
Here's what came off my printer. I did re-size the object because I didn't want to wait 14 hours for a 0.1mm resolution print. It's sized down 50%, so the small print is not clear, but the rest looks pretty good.

955562-0

955566-1

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #386 on: March 24, 2020, 08:19:34 pm »
@xrunner: I'll be tickled purple with pink polka-dots if I get similar results. ;)

That is a truly wicked test print mnementh!  I can't imagine how you get those 90 degree overhangs to work (apparently without printing support).  I have found it easier to design those overhangs out of prints than to make them work.

LOL! I haven't DONE the print yet... I wanted to try and get my cooling fans situated and the Petsfang printed/installed first. That is a computer render from the page on Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2656594

mnem
*currently shopping a floor sweeper and 5015 blowers*

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #387 on: March 24, 2020, 11:44:18 pm »
Try this one mnementh.  :popcorn:

(Attachment Link)

Actually this is the one I thought was crazy hard.  Sorry about the confusion.  The overhang test one seems doable.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #388 on: March 24, 2020, 11:56:14 pm »
Here's what came off my printer. I did re-size the object because I didn't want to wait 14 hours for a 0.1mm resolution print. It's sized down 50%, so the small print is not clear, but the rest looks pretty good.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
Looks like there are some improvements to be had. What printer is that?

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #389 on: March 25, 2020, 12:12:20 am »
What printer is that?

It was a basic Ender 3 Pro, but now it's hardly the same thing now. It has X,Y, and Z linear rails, a 32 bit SKR mini main board with TMC2209 silent stepper drivers, Marlin 2.0.5.2 firmware with manual mesh bed leveling and linear advance nozzle pressure compensation enabled (I compile the firmware myself), and a glass bed with a surface that is amazing in it's ability to stick the prints down.

It works extremely well and I am very pleased with it's accuracy and performance.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #390 on: March 25, 2020, 06:48:43 am »
Some good ideas in this one from Angus for those still learning there way around Fusion 360 and 3D printed limits :-+

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #391 on: March 25, 2020, 11:12:46 am »
Some good ideas in this one from Angus for those still learning there way around Fusion 360 and 3D printed limits :-+

Funny you should post that video, I just ran across it yesterday but haven't watched it yet. I've been using Tinkercad for my own designs and it's pretty powerful in it's own way, but I know I need to use Fusion eventually.

I've been stuck at a low level in Fusion 360 for a while, because I had a hard time understanding the "philosophy" of the way it all works, and the overwhelming number of selections presented to you on-screen. But I finally decided to keep watching the tutorials and I think I'm getting over the hump. For me, this person paved the way yesterday and I understand it a whole lot better because of his examples -

I'll design a trivial part in Fusion 360 and post it for your entertainment later.  :-DD

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #392 on: March 25, 2020, 07:37:56 pm »
I made this plate today. It isn't for anything specific but just for play. I might be "getting" it, at least for simple things.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #393 on: March 25, 2020, 07:40:46 pm »
 :-+

mnem
*currently nuking the perf*

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #394 on: March 25, 2020, 08:06:30 pm »
I made this plate today. It isn't for anything specific but just for play. I might be "getting" it, at least for simple things.

(Attachment Link)

:-+ stick at it.

Rather than use the Hole function I find generally drawing the circles on a sketch easier. In the case of your design you could also then use the Circular pattern feature so draw one then add the three others with it. In your initial sketch this same method can also be used to copy one of the square arms into the four of them too. So your initial sketch would be one circle and three lines for one arm patterned into four then add the centre square.

Doing this there is no need to make the hole later as you never actually extrude it when doing the extrudes for the body.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #395 on: March 25, 2020, 09:09:11 pm »

Rather than use the Hole function I find generally drawing the circles on a sketch easier. In the case of your design you could also then use the Circular pattern feature so draw one then add the three others with it. In your initial sketch this same method can also be used to copy one of the square arms into the four of them too. So your initial sketch would be one circle and three lines for one arm patterned into four then add the centre square.

Doing this there is no need to make the hole later as you never actually extrude it when doing the extrudes for the body.

Thanks. There are so many ways to do things in that program. I think that's what the intimidating thing was. I kinda basically froze after starting because I didn't understand the steps and there were so many menu choices. For whatever reason, the one video series I found yesterday seemed to get me over the hump.

Right now I don't see why I couldn't make anything I've already made in Tinkercad in Fusion 360. Yay.  :)

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #396 on: March 25, 2020, 09:14:56 pm »
Am I the only one who prefers to do parts and mechanisms in OpenSCAD?

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #397 on: March 25, 2020, 09:56:26 pm »
Yes. On the entire planet.  >:D

mnem
*currently cursing himself for not checking every piece of ANYTHING that comes from AliEx*   |O

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #398 on: March 25, 2020, 11:50:37 pm »
Bought a prusa 3 for my younger son that is at college, 3rd yr of mech eng. He is using it for fun, but also to make models/jigs etc for the suspension of their formula sae vehicle. This is done with solidworks.

I can send him solidworks files and he can then slice them etc and print them for me. When he visits (about 90 miles away) he brings the printed models to me.

I wanted an inline switch for powerpole cables. I use powerpole in my 4wd and various things plug in. Many have their own switch, but the pump I use to transfer water from tanks/wells to the bladder in my 4wd doesn't. So, designed up a small box that takes a powerpole pair at each end and runs the +12 through the inline switch. The switch is lit when 'on', so easy to tell what is going on.

Here's a render of the design. Has the slots to key with the powerpoles and also the hole for the roll pin to lock each end in place. Turned out quite functional.

956518-0

Printed in PETG:

956522-1

956526-2

cheers,
george.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, beanflying

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #399 on: March 25, 2020, 11:59:52 pm »

Thanks. There are so many ways to do things in that program. I think that's what the intimidating thing was. I kinda basically froze after starting because I didn't understand the steps and there were so many menu choices. For whatever reason, the one video series I found yesterday seemed to get me over the hump.

Right now I don't see why I couldn't make anything I've already made in Tinkercad in Fusion 360. Yay.  :)

Three good Fusion Channels well worth a watch. Brad and Lars do work for the Evil Empire of Autodesk but their channels are independent and just great resources. Kevin of Product Design Online is a fairly new one but lots of 3D printing based tutorials as well.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheKHaug Really good Basics videos with some 3D printing

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo29kn3d9ziFUZGZ50VKvWA not a lot of recent content but his 'Absolute Beginners series' was excellent for me initially.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLEVULiWognkczOpDSGSlFg/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf