Author Topic: 3D Printer yet?  (Read 325071 times)

Offline pipe2null

• Regular Contributor
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #400 on: March 26, 2020, 12:04:57 am »
Am I the only one who prefers to do parts and mechanisms in OpenSCAD?
I'm on linux so free CAD options are limited, thus I do everything with OpenSCAD.  But I also recommend OpenSCAD for everyone new to CAD in general too, even if you have Windows.  The learning curve is short, mainly just the scripting syntax, and the limited basic built-in elements is actually better IMHO when you are starting out.  Learning the basics of how to take cylinders, cubes, etc and intersect/difference them to create more complex designs is much easier when you don't have a million and one menu choices, or have to click here, there, and everywhere in a specific order with different tool pallets in order to create basic objects.  Just from the videos from the posts above, you have to click a bunch of places with a bunch of tool pallets to accomplish the same thing as "cube([myX,myY,myZ]);".

Plus I like OpenSCAD even more since I've started transitioning my designs toward mainly using my own script libraries (module/for/if/etc statements with local and global variables).  If you structure your scripts well, you can implement layers and global keepouts, plus psuedo-support for multi-material STL file sets.  I generally lay out all constant values at the beginning of the file as global variables, and then do all math, positioning, and object definitions based solely on those variables instead of constants so I can change a single variable (rod_to_rod_distance or rod_diameter for example) and every individual part in my design is automatically updated.  I'm sure there are advanced features in other software that can do this and much much more, but doing it within the simple scripting language of OpenSCAD is really straight forward.  Well...  Implementing layers and global keepouts tracked to specific repositionable objects/modules is slightly less straight forward but do-able.

That said, due to poor final rendering performance for high facet counts ($fn > 180), I've started looking elsewhere.  I'm a bit daunted by the learning curve for Blender...  Has anyone used Blender for CAD work specifically for 3D printing parts and such (not modelling figures/etc)?  Or other software with linux support?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #401 on: March 26, 2020, 12:05:07 am »

I hear Crickets  :-DD Whatever your choice of weapon is so long as you get what you need then  :-+ There is a few exceptions to that like Tinkercad which people will run into it's limits really quickly.

Bought a prusa 3 for my younger son that is at college, 3rd yr of mech eng. He is using it for fun, but also to make models/jigs etc for the suspension of their formula sae vehicle. This is done with solidworks.

I can send him solidworks files and he can then slice them etc and print them for me. When he visits (about 90 miles away) he brings the printed models to me.

I wanted an inline switch for powerpole cables. I use powerpole in my 4wd and various things plug in. Many have their own switch, but the pump I use to transfer water from tanks/wells to the bladder in my 4wd doesn't. So, designed up a small box that takes a powerpole pair at each end and runs the +12 through the inline switch. The switch is lit when 'on', so easy to tell what is going on.

Here's a render of the design. Has the slots to key with the powerpoles and also the hole for the roll pin to lock each end in place. Turned out quite functional.

cheers,
george.

Good solid looking model :) If the delay ever gets to be a bug then the solution is simple add a Prusa Mini to your place as well 8)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #402 on: March 26, 2020, 12:08:16 am »
I'm on linux so free CAD options are limited, thus I do everything with OpenSCAD.  But I also recommend OpenSCAD for everyone new to CAD in general too, even if you have Windows. 

SNIP

That said, due to poor final rendering performance for high facet counts ($fn > 180), I've started looking elsewhere.  I'm a bit daunted by the learning curve for Blender...  Has anyone used Blender for CAD work specifically for 3D printing parts and such (not modelling figures/etc)?  Or other software with linux support?

Fusion 360 with some Linux pain can be done so don't necessarily dismiss it from your options. https://all3dp.com/2/fusion-360-for-linux-how-to-install-it/
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: pipe2null

Offline pipe2null

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #403 on: March 26, 2020, 12:33:32 am »
Fusion 360 with some Linux pain can be done so don't necessarily dismiss it from your options. https://all3dp.com/2/fusion-360-for-linux-how-to-install-it/

Heh...  From my point of view, it's "Windows pain".   ;D  Technically speaking, I have multiple machines that multi-boot with both Windows and linux but I never want to boot Windows for some reason.  But my home lab computer that I do all this kinda stuff on is linux only, so need linux-friendly software that doesn't require Windows installed in a virtual machine.  Good suggestion though, thanks!

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #404 on: March 26, 2020, 12:50:07 am »
I made this plate today. It isn't for anything specific but just for play. I might be "getting" it, at least for simple things.

(Attachment Link)

Spent a few minutes over a coffee with your model and just for to flesh out some of the concepts I mentioned (pre coffee still in bed so I forgot there would be two circles to copy ;) ) ** One thing to watch out for is make sure all the lines on your model turn black meaning they are fully dimensioned in space or you will likely break the model later. On my sketch I have used the symmetry constraint from the guidelines to make the dimensioning more simple.

Take the five elements that form the arm and do the circular pattern thing on them.

Combined all fillets but still grouped them to allow easy changing of them independent of each other.

Note the tighter timeline too which will help you find things on more complex models later.

So give it a bash your end and try the same basic model using the different options until you find your happy place.  :)

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #405 on: March 26, 2020, 01:31:29 am »
You meanies ;D

I like to use POV-Ray, too.  It has slightly different syntax, but very similar approach; both OpenSCAD and POV-Ray are based on a script language defining constructive solid geometry.  There are some tools one can use to convert OpenSCAD to POV-Ray, if you want much better rendering quality.

Right now, for example, I'm using it to play with different ways of doing a box enclosure for my 3D printer.  I'm actually thinking of making the box from 20×40mm box section, with the Y and Z rails (8mm round bar) directly anchored to the enclosure.  It is useful, because I can make the measurements parametric, and play with specific sizes and how it'd look in practice.  (I don't have any welding equipment, and the local Hacklab is closed for now.)

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #406 on: March 26, 2020, 01:42:13 am »
Spent a few minutes over a coffee with your model and just for to flesh out some of the concepts I mentioned (pre coffee still in bed so I forgot there would be two circles to copy ;) ) ** One thing to watch out for is make sure all the lines on your model turn black meaning they are fully dimensioned in space or you will likely break the model later. On my sketch I have used the symmetry constraint from the guidelines to make the dimensioning more simple.

That's great thanks for doing that.  :-+ That really shows what you are talking about.

I see what you mean and will try some tomorrow. I did try a "mirror" operation this afternoon and got that to work. Since we are on lockdown what else do I have to do?  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #407 on: March 26, 2020, 01:58:43 am »
FreeCAD is another choice.   Has some nice features.  Linux compatible.  Biggest drawback I have found is largest files for a given model around.  A good part of that can be controlled by how you model.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #408 on: March 26, 2020, 02:19:24 am »
New version of PrusaSlicer also out today with some nice new features. Built in config files for non Prusa printers is a great extra for those of us who haven't drunk the KoolAid  >:D

Download here https://github.com/prusa3d/PrusaSlicer/releases

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #409 on: March 26, 2020, 01:04:37 pm »
Take the five elements that form the arm and do the circular pattern thing on them.

Combined all fillets but still grouped them to allow easy changing of them independent of each other.

Note the tighter timeline too which will help you find things on more complex models later.

So give it a bash your end and try the same basic model using the different options until you find your happy place.  :)

It really works!  :clap:

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline pipe2null

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #410 on: March 26, 2020, 06:10:45 pm »
I like to use POV-Ray, too.  It has slightly different syntax, but very similar approach; both OpenSCAD and POV-Ray are based on a script language defining constructive solid geometry.  There are some tools one can use to convert OpenSCAD to POV-Ray, if you want much better rendering quality.
FreeCAD is another choice.   Has some nice features.  Linux compatible.  Biggest drawback I have found is largest files for a given model around.  A good part of that can be controlled by how you model.
Thanks, I'll try those out.

Right now, for example, I'm using it to play with different ways of doing a box enclosure for my 3D printer.  I'm actually thinking of making the box from 20×40mm box section, with the Y and Z rails (8mm round bar) directly anchored to the enclosure.  It is useful, because I can make the measurements parametric, and play with specific sizes and how it'd look in practice.  (I don't have any welding equipment, and the local Hacklab is closed for now.)
Very cool.  I've been making a bunch of simpler parts/brackets/cases/whatnot for different projects.  So far the most "practical for more than myself" thing I've designed from scratch is a shop vac hose adapter for a fixed base wood router, all OpenSCAD.  When I eventually get around to it, hopefully v2.0 of the adapter won't need a zip tie.   ;)
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

Down the road a bit I want to get into RepRap and build my own 3d printer from mostly scratch...  But that is a wayz off.  In Prusa's free printable parts download for the i3 MK3, they include OpenSCAD files for all the parts:
https://www.prusa3d.com/download-printable-parts-stl-mk3

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #411 on: March 26, 2020, 06:17:51 pm »

So after faulty cheap Chinese module number 17 takes a trip to the woods, I have some little MP1584EN-based switchers on the way, but they'll take a week or six because China. |O Engage "getting the fuck on with my life" mode. All I REALLY care about at this point is powering the 12V/0.12A 80mm Arctic silent case fan I just got in; it replaces one of the screamin' mimi 40mm fans on the unit, the one that cools the mainboard. While I AM pretty certain there's a setting where I could dial down the PWM for that fan channel in the firmware, I'm already annoyed and decide to apply the KISS principle. 500mA L78M12, a 47uF/16V MMLCC cap strapped across the output for stability and a bit of 0.100" pin header.

"But wait..." you cry out "There's no heat-sink, and that's still ~1.5W or so dropped across the poor thing."

But there is: 200mm of 18ga copper soldered right to the heat-sink tab. Thermal Design Considerations, yeahahh.   ;) And another similar mass of copper on the Vout. Yes, it MATTERS. Testing in situ reveals it gets just warm to the touch; maybe 45-50°C after 20 minutes. I sleeve it with some heat-shrink and plop the fan in place; put the bottom cover on the printer and set it upright. All told I've spent maybe an hour; that includes making a baffle and a filler panel for where the 40mm fan used to be. I really didn't expect it to make much difference yet; the hotend still has another 40x10mm & 30x10mm screamers on it. But it IS noticeable.  :-+   

Of course, while I'm in there I find THIS:  :palm:  Reviewing my original pics of the inside, I see that the heatsink is in fact loose there too. Whether I hamfisted it loose while I was in there poking around, or it was never attached correctly I don't know.  :-// But this heatsink is just held on with cheap frag tape; unlike the ones on the TM2208s which are attached with silicone thermal cement.

So... I go shopping for some better heatsinks and maybe a tube of similar thermal cement, and I stumble across one of these MOSFET modules; following that rabbit-hole I find that while I can buy one for $11 and wait a month, I can get 4 of them PLUS wiring kit for $16 delivered TOMORROW. :o   https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B077PPWZLB/

I'll let 'yall know how things look when it arrives; right now I'm trying to talk myself out of rebuilding the hotend with my kit of V6 parts, since I just found out the silicone socks I got with are NOT "close enough" to go on the Mk8 hotend.  |O

Someday I'll actually get around to printing the Petsfang and these much quieter 5015 & 4020 fans installed.  :-+

mnem
*hammering noises... chisel-chisel...!! braaap-braaaapppp...!! griiiiiiiiiiiind....!!!*
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:32:21 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline pipe2null

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #412 on: March 26, 2020, 06:18:51 pm »
"[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]"
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #413 on: March 26, 2020, 07:28:06 pm »
Well if your little attachment is a invalid... should we get it a wee wheelchair...?

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline pipe2null

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #414 on: March 26, 2020, 08:44:23 pm »
Well if your little attachment is a invalid... should we get it a wee wheelchair...?
Yes please.  With one of those little bell things on the handlebars.  Plus maybe a horn.   |O

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #415 on: March 26, 2020, 09:11:07 pm »
Bought a prusa 3 for my younger son that is at college, 3rd yr of mech eng.
cheers,
george.

Good solid looking model :) If the delay ever gets to be a bug then the solution is simple add a Prusa Mini to your place as well 8)

Well... the reason I bought it for 'him' was that my wife had already vetoed buying it for me. So, it was bought 'on the quiet' and shipped directly to him (out of town college). Since it was for 'him' it was 'ok'...

The veto is still in place :)

cheers,
george.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #416 on: March 26, 2020, 10:55:45 pm »
   Yes please.  With one of those little bell things on the handlebars.  Plus maybe a horn.   |O

LOL!  :-DD Thanks for the belly laugh. And nicely done on the dirtsucker. :-+

mnem
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 11:06:30 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, pipe2null

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #417 on: March 26, 2020, 11:47:15 pm »
Quote from: mnementh
...right now I'm trying to talk myself out of rebuilding the hotend with my kit of V6 parts, since I just found out the silicone socks I got with are NOT "close enough" to go on the Mk8 hotend. 

Welp... of course y'all know I lost THAT discussion... :palm:

I actually got lucky and was able to re-use the heater & thermistor from the Mk8 hotend; and I already knew I'd have to reuse the throat. It all went back together ~0.10mm shorter tip height than the original; not bad for a "hybrid" build.  :-+ Now the thing heats up like BAM! and it's ready for to coexist with the PetsFang.  8)

mnem
Giggity!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 11:54:59 pm by mnementh »

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #418 on: March 27, 2020, 03:36:35 am »
cheers,
george.

Well... the reason I bought it for 'him' was that my wife had already vetoed buying it for me. So, it was bought 'on the quiet' and shipped directly to him (out of town college). Since it was for 'him' it was 'ok'...

cheers,
george.

You need to show your wife why she will benefit from you having the printer.  My wife loves it.  There have been quite a few repair parts, specialty sewing tools, and just gee-gaws for her that she loves.

Attached are some of the things I have made in this line.  The thimble is custom sized to fit the finger she uses.  Not easily commercially available.  The closet door guide was for her sister.  Older home and the existing extruded guides were failing and not available.   There are quite a few others. 

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #419 on: March 27, 2020, 04:22:15 am »
cheers,
george.

cheers,
george.

I think that having one for when he is home is appropriate and it would be only fair for you to keep it in good running order  :-DD As above pick SHMBO's favourite pastime and make appropriate bribes of usefulness  ;)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #420 on: March 27, 2020, 04:24:24 am »
Quote from: mnementh
...right now I'm trying to talk myself out of rebuilding the hotend with my kit of V6 parts, since I just found out the silicone socks I got with are NOT "close enough" to go on the Mk8 hotend. 

I actually got lucky and was able to re-use the heater & thermistor from the Mk8 hotend; and I already knew I'd have to reuse the throat. It all went back together ~0.10mm shorter tip height than the original; not bad for a "hybrid" build.  :-+ Now the thing heats up like BAM! and it's ready for to coexist with the PetsFang.  8)

mnem
Giggity!

Having fun tinkering and cursing a little  :-DD Forgotten which exact Fang I have been putting on my printers but about time they or a dual outlet duct became standard ex factory  :horse:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #421 on: March 27, 2020, 12:38:53 pm »
Well, the manufacturers have realized that what sells a printer more than performing great out of the box, is LOOKING like the thing is 100% "professional-made" with tidy wiring and neat stamped sheetmetal instead of printed parts. While I certainly could design a fang from stamped aluminum, it would NOT be a cheap part to make in "small numbers" as these things are made.

In my case the reason for going with the fang is not the usual "i wanna print mobius strips without supports" or "i wanna print ninjaflex at 200mm/s" performance-type shit... I just wanna get away from the noisy-ass cheap little fans that always come on these things. This printer actually works pretty damn well right out of the box, and the stepper motors are quiet with the TM2208 drivers, as promised. So far I've spent ~$320 on the thing, and about $40 of that is spares I haven't needed yet. :-+

If you can stand the noise of 3 3010/4010 fans going full-blast, I'd say all this printer needs out of the box is another $10 for the single-drive aluminum extruder; that plastic thing they put on there is a worse POS than the E3 one that has already earned CReality more than a few jeers. But even that is "fixable" with a little ingenuity, as I've shown. :-+

mnem
 :-/O

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #422 on: March 27, 2020, 01:12:19 pm »

I found it very difficult to do actual figures. The next step was to use SolidPython, that improved things, but not much. Things I missed: you can't get sizes and boundary boxes for shapes, there is no way to automatically align shapes, it's hard to make complex shapes such as threads (what is one click in, say autocad, can take me forever in openscad), performance was deserving more. My toolkit was solidpython + jypiter notebook + some plugin to render shapes.

I also tried freecad, I did two attempts. One was unsuccessful because thing was crashing all the time. The second one failed because I wasn't able to figure out how ui works (by that time I completely forgot how to use it)  :-// . Sure there are plenty of tutorials, but... For now I use tinkercad. If one wants, it supports parametrized shapes too. I'm looking for more powerful tools, but I'm on Linux, so choices are limited.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #423 on: March 27, 2020, 05:27:28 pm »

Currently printing the smaller one, with Bridging features enabled in Cura.  :-+

mnem
*tinker-tinker...putter-putter...*

Offline pipe2null

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #424 on: March 27, 2020, 05:30:01 pm »

I found it very difficult to do actual figures. The next step was to use SolidPython, that improved things, but not much. Things I missed: you can't get sizes and boundary boxes for shapes, there is no way to automatically align shapes, it's hard to make complex shapes such as threads (what is one click in, say autocad, can take me forever in openscad), performance was deserving more. My toolkit was solidpython + jypiter notebook + some plugin to render shapes.

Have you tried using Blender?  I haven't touched Blender yet due to steep learning curve.  Hoping someone else has already done the homework and I might...  Well, not copy their homework, but might find out if it is worth the significant time and effort to learn the software if I'm only using it for CAD designing parts and whatnot (No figurines for me since I can do stick figures and that's... About... It...).  Apparently there are ways to import OpenSCAD files into Blender, or app to translate scad into the script Blender uses to control animation/etc., something like that.  I'm still a big fan of OpenSCAD for a bunch of different reasons, but I'm starting to outgrow it.

EDIT: For the most part, I'm linux-only as well.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 05:32:54 pm by pipe2null »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf