Author Topic: 3D Printer yet?  (Read 324911 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #550 on: May 07, 2020, 02:46:16 pm »
   now all I have to do is program the fucking thing...

mnem
 :scared:
I'll have a bucket ready for when your head explodes.

As always, the Devil is in the details; The part I thought was going to be a tedious nightmare of testing & troubleshooting (the PN2222A AutoFan mod) worked perfectly right off the bat, and the part that I first thought would be easy (adding a 3rd thermistor on a board based on the MKS Gen L, which comes with 3 thermistor pins) has turned out to be the assache. ::)

Most of it really wasn't that painful; I copied backups of the OE firmware & flash ROM using AVRDUde, then downloaded the FW as a packet of Arduino files from the Longer3D website. An afternoon watching snippets of vids and going back & forth on the Marlin website as I read and familiarized myself with the config.h & Config_adv.h files, and the PN2222A AutoFan mod worked perfectly first upload!

The real headache came with the 2nd temp sensor (on the transition region of the heat break); they built in too much safety and I couldn't enable it as an unused hotend thermistor like I planned.  |O Eventually I figured out how to enable and configure the A15 pin as a "Chamber Temp" pin and got it working, the temps all even show up automagically in the PrintRun dashboard!

But, I misinterpreted how the existing resistor circuit on port I "repurposed" on the MB works, so the values on the new thermistor are all out to lunch. Tomorrow I'll have to recreate a third iteration of the resistor divider from the RAMPS 1.4/MKS Gen L schematic, and then the values should be correct.
:-+

mnem
*toddling off to ded* :=\

Amazing what a decent night's sleep will do for you. After looking again over my morning cuppa, I realized the circuit was right after all, but I didn't take into account the interaction of R45/R46 on their respective thermistor circuits. Repopulated the pads in the Y-MAX circuit with correct 100Ω/4K7Ω/10uF SMDs, and Marlin loves me now. :-+

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #551 on: May 07, 2020, 05:22:17 pm »
 :rant:

FUCKING. FUSION.

Why the FUCK is it so gawddamn HARD to add text to an object? Why the FUCK does Fusion automagically HIDE SHIT all the fucking time?

This is supposed to be software to HELP me create... I should be able to just select a fucking surface and add text to it, for FUCK's sake.  :palm:

Instead, it just    every time I try to do what other people show me in a dozen different videos. I should NOT have to fucking outwit the gawddamn software that's supposed to be HELPING me.
|O

/ :rant:

mnem
*toddles off to put ice on my aching balls*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #552 on: May 07, 2020, 06:41:03 pm »

FUCKING. FUSION.

Why the FUCK is it so gawddamn HARD to add text to an object? Why the FUCK does Fusion automagically HIDE SHIT all the fucking time?

This is supposed to be software to HELP me create... I should be able to just select a fucking surface and add text to it, for FUCK's sake.  :palm:

Instead, it just    every time I try to do what other people show me in a dozen different videos. I should NOT have to fucking outwit the gawddamn software that's supposed to be HELPING me.
|O

mnem
Welcome to CAD. You get to pick where it hurts, not whether it hurts.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #553 on: May 07, 2020, 11:07:52 pm »

FUCKING. FUSION.

|O

mnem
Welcome to CAD. You get to pick where it hurts, not whether it hurts.

LOL IRL... You have your moments, dude... not that many, but when you do, it's a good one.  :-+

mnem
"But wait, there's more! Act now and we'll throw in a angry wolverine at NO EXTRA CHARGE! Now how much would you pay...?"

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #554 on: May 07, 2020, 11:59:07 pm »

mnem
No, the irony is not lost on me. :palm:

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #555 on: May 08, 2020, 12:41:45 am »
Text and Fusion are one of the weakest points. Want to try a real  |O try exporting parts to Laser cut and have the bits stay in place without having to add bridges before you get to the fact that the fonts are not vector format. :-- I am getting good at adding text via Inkscape  :horse: :rant:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #556 on: May 08, 2020, 02:36:46 am »
Dude... merely from LISTENING TO YOU, my left testicle just jumped back up inside me & "undescended" out of self-preservation...  :palm:

mnem
[Time: 2:47:37 Progress: 2%][-->_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _]

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #557 on: May 08, 2020, 02:25:55 pm »

Now at 51%... thought I'd share a little video for your morning meditation. Just let your eyes follow the wibbly light and rela-a-a-ax...    ^-^

mnem
*namaste* Peace be with you, my friends.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #558 on: May 09, 2020, 12:00:27 pm »
Another general purpose use for 3D printing for the general audience. Been doing some woodworking (making birdhouses). I was using my Black & Decker Workmate to hold parts and thought it would be nice to have some more "cleats". I found a decent model for them on Thingaverse (there were actually several models available) and printed one. Truthfully, it's better than the original, so I printed a set of four.

If you don't have a 3D printer get one!
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Nuno_pt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #559 on: May 09, 2020, 03:13:38 pm »
Need some help here, I'm too lazy to read 23 pages of this thread, this is weekend, sitting on the couch with a couple of coffee :D. I could use some of your expertise and knowledge in this matter.

I want to dive on the 3D world to print some parts that I could need for some of my hobbies, for now would be some time to time print but could move on.

What would be a good starting point for a 3D printer, Ender 3, Ender 3Pro  :-// around 250€.

I'm also considering buying a 3D scanner, for some more complex parts, still need to learn how to design in 3D software.
Nuno
CT2IRY

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #560 on: May 09, 2020, 04:36:28 pm »
Go pledge on the CReality CR6-SE, then save your lunch money for the next few weeks to make up the difference so you can pay for it when they start billing, which won't be until June 5th (this came direct from KickStarter when I pledged for mine). This thing REALLY IS 100% THE "noob" printer. Seriously.

https://creality.com/cr-6-se-3d-printer-crowdfunding-on-6th-may-p00296p1.html

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1001939425/creality-cr-6-se-leveling-free-diy-3d-printer-kit

If they deliver half of what is promised, it's going to revolutionize "hobbyist-grade" 3DP.

Cheers,

mnem
*3DP-ily*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #561 on: May 09, 2020, 04:39:05 pm »

Thanks, bean!  :-+

mnem
squeeee!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 04:48:31 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #562 on: May 09, 2020, 05:56:08 pm »
Alternatively, look at a Prusa Mini. Yes, it's a little smaller, yes, it's a teensy bit more expensive.. but they're a proven manufacturer of far better machines. There is a bit of a backlog, though.

I don't believe the Creality will work out of the box half as well. They haven't made one yet which does. But I guess it does have strong current and wide voltage!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #563 on: May 09, 2020, 11:07:27 pm »
Seriously...? Prusa Mini...?  :o

Prusa hasn't made one that works out of the box period. Every one of them requires considerable fucking around with before you get your first passable print. True, you can get better prints out of them if you spend the time fettling... but you don't just bolt one together and start using it like I did my Tevo Tornado and my Diggro.

I just watched a video of Josef himself building the Mini, so we can assume the builder knew what he was doing. Assembly is still an unmitigated clusterfuck compared even to my Diggro, (which topend was 3 pcs extrusion and an assembled X-Axis); the Mini (like EVERY Prusa, except the ones that ship fully assembled) is definitely NOT APPROPRIATE for a first BUILD. :palm:

We all owe Josef a huge debt of gratitude for the amazing work he has done that turned personal FDM from a pie-in-the-sky dream into a tangible, doable reality... but I can only pray that one of these days he gets his dick out of his own ass and admits to himself what the rest of us already know: 8020/4020/OpenBuilds extrusion and actual fucking metal parts is the ONLY civilized way to build a 3DP. Just IMAGINE the machine he makes then.
:-\

mnem
 |O
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 11:14:31 pm by mnementh »

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #564 on: May 09, 2020, 11:24:07 pm »
Seriously...? Prusa Mini...?  :o

I just watched a video of Josef himself building one, so we can assume the builder knew what he was doing. Assembly is still an unmitigated clusterfuck compared even to my Diggro, (which topend was 3 pcs extrusion and an assembled X-Axis); the Mini (like EVERY Prusa, except the ones that ship fully assembled) is definitely NOT APPROPRIATE for a first BUILD. :palm:

We all owe Josef a huge debt of gratitude for the amazing work he has done that turned personal FDM from a pie-in-the-sky dream into a tangible, doable reality... but I can only pray that one of these days he gets his dick out of his own ass and admits to himself what the rest of us already know: 8020/4020/OpenBuilds extrusion and actual fucking metal parts is the ONLY civilized way to build a 3DP. Just IMAGINE the machine he makes then.
:-\

mnem
 |O

I just looked at the assembly.. You have to bolt a couple components together, connect some well marked cables, push a couple parts into each other for a spool holder, and stick some feet on. It is made of alu extrusion and some custom made plates. This is not a Mk3 kit.

For all that added effort, you get a magnetic bed with PEI (not random whatever the fuck Creality use this week), an extruder you can reasonably expect to work, a proven bed compensation system, and parts you can assume will be of reasonable quality off the bat.

Creality make some okayish printers. At best. But at this price point, why start with an okayish printer when you could get one which should be pretty decent without needing any fiddling? Because you have to tighten five more screws and it has some printed parts?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #565 on: May 09, 2020, 11:33:11 pm »
Need some help here, I'm too lazy to read 23 pages of this thread, this is weekend, sitting on the couch with a couple of coffee :D. I could use some of your expertise and knowledge in this matter.

I want to dive on the 3D world to print some parts that I could need for some of my hobbies, for now would be some time to time print but could move on.

What would be a good starting point for a 3D printer, Ender 3, Ender 3Pro  :-// around 250€.

I'm also considering buying a 3D scanner, for some more complex parts, still need to learn how to design in 3D software.

Skip the 3D scanner unless you really want a new hobby. But watch this video posted a few hours ago.

Apart from the video below I have a preference for the Glass version of the Ender Pro over the magnetic one and adding better Bowden fittings and Capricorn tubing is well worth it too (some of the Creality Printers now come with this as standard)

« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 12:00:10 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #566 on: May 10, 2020, 03:45:19 am »
Fuck. Printed. Parts. For the kind of money a Prusa costs, they can damn well spend a few dollars on some CNC.  Or... get this... linear slides instead of the cheapest possible rods & linear bearings FFS. Held up with printed parts. :palm: The Mini is literally a fucking tinkertoy.

mnem
Just say “No, thank you”.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #567 on: May 10, 2020, 03:56:50 am »
Fuck. Printed. Parts. For the kind of money a Prusa costs, they can damn well spend a few dollars on some CNC.  Or... get this... linear slides instead of the cheapest possible rods & linear bearings FFS. Held up with printed parts. :palm: The Mini is literally a fucking tinkertoy.

mnem

And what Creality puts out is recycled amateur designs made as cheaply as possible, beta tested on paying customers with no warning of changes. But sure, it's okay if the bowden tubes just pop out in the first week of use, there's no tensioners for the cheap POM wheels and their crunchy bearings, the bed connectors melt, and they let you run the PTFE lined hotend at 280C, because they have some metal brackets!

Sorry, but I'm not fooled by the hype machine. And no, I'm not a Prusa fanboy - they're simply reasonable machines which are properly backed, instead of a lottery ticket. I'd prefer to have something nice like a Railcore, but there's an extra digit in the price tag I can't justify.

E: And regarding your sneaky edit of the previous post:
Prusa hasn't made one that works out of the box period. Every one of them requires considerable fucking around with before you get your first passable print.

Bollocks. I've built two Mk3s (one my own, subsequently upgraded to Mk3S, another for a friend, and that's now an MMU2S). They print just fine with no fettling - about the only deviation from the instructions I made was using a few of my own tools. The MMU2S is a little experimental, I admit (and by that I mean it's a problem child since that upgrade).

You want fettling? Build the aforementioned Railcore.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 04:26:05 am by Monkeh »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #568 on: May 10, 2020, 06:21:38 am »
Drinking bulk lots of Prusa Koolaid or telling others to consume it without question is DUMB not all things released in the last few years by Prusa have been perfect by any stretch. Likewise as I mentioned over the current Creality release I won't be buying into it in spite of being a happy owner of three of theirs.

@Monkeh your position on Creality printers not working out of the box or componentry being inferior just has not been my experience AT ALL!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 07:16:05 am by beanflying »

Offline Canis Dirus Leidy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #569 on: May 10, 2020, 12:16:18 pm »
(trollface.png) Anet A8. It will teach you what it is “стойко переносить все тяготы и лишения военной службы, не щадить своей крови и самой жизни при выполнении воинского долга”, temper your character, and then it can always be converted to CoreXY mechanic .

P.S. I have Anet A6. It prints out of the box (i.e. after assembly), but then the adventure remedial works began. First, a more convenient Y-belt tensioner and holder, then front and back frame braces (so that the acrylic frame don't break due to belt tension), then hotbed wiring upgrade, then new X-carriage, then new control board with quiet drivers…

Offline Nuno_pt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #570 on: May 10, 2020, 12:20:31 pm »
Skip the 3D scanner unless you really want a new hobby.

Hi @beanflying, thanks for the video, I'm watching it, need to learn and read a lot.

Can I ask why the 3D scanner would be a new hobby? I was looking at the cheap like Ciclop 3D, to copy some more complicate objects.

I've been reading also some forums dedicate to 3D in Portugal and almost all recommend the Ender 3 or 3 Pro, for a beginner relation price/quality and the large community out there. 
Nuno
CT2IRY

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #571 on: May 10, 2020, 01:03:41 pm »

mnem
Who cares that parts are artisanally crafted by trained monkeys from their own faeces? It's the results that count. The Prusa printers seem to shine when it comes to low hassle prints with great results for an attainable price. I don't think anyone will claim Prusa printers or the company are without their flaws, but excellent support goes a long way. Don't get me wrong, the Creality printers also seem excellent value for their money, but that last bit seems to be a relevant addition. Value for money and apples to apples comparisons are two different stories.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #572 on: May 10, 2020, 01:08:21 pm »

At around 250€ buying an Ender 3 Pro seems to be the most sensible choice. It's a good starting point and you'll both learn lots about printing and get to usable prints without too many tears. Most people seem to be up and running without issue. Many end up doing some upgrades after getting their feet wet but at that point you should know what you're doing.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #573 on: May 10, 2020, 01:08:55 pm »
Can I ask why the 3D scanner would be a new hobby?

Getting the hardware is just the thin edge of the wedge.  There is a learning curve you need to traverse in order to know what does and doesn't work.

I dipped my toe into photogrammetry and have put delving deeper into that adventure on the 'To Do' list ... a few items down from the top  ;D .

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #574 on: May 10, 2020, 01:11:35 pm »
Skip the 3D scanner unless you really want a new hobby.

Hi @beanflying, thanks for the video, I'm watching it, need to learn and read a lot.

Can I ask why the 3D scanner would be a new hobby? I was looking at the cheap like Ciclop 3D, to copy some more complicate objects.

I've been reading also some forums dedicate to 3D in Portugal and almost all recommend the Ender 3 or 3 Pro, for a beginner relation price/quality and the large community out there.

With the scanner as this is an Engineering forum I see little point to one as they are not that accurate, take a bunch of work to fill in the holes in models or to make them more accurate still need to be redrawn in CAD. If you want one as a toy or for more sculptural models then that is a different matter.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf