Author Topic: 3D Printer yet?  (Read 324989 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #650 on: May 13, 2020, 06:31:44 pm »
*plonk*

mnem
ahhhh...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #651 on: May 13, 2020, 07:12:49 pm »
Many thanks all.

I've watched the youtube vid Mr Scram posted.

From that, while the i3 Mk3 came off best in most things, the Ender 3 also came up very good.  The CR10 not so good (but he did stress that might be because his needs adjusting).

Print quality wise, apart from horizontal text printing and 5 degrees less overhang, the Ender 3 seems on par with the I3 Mk3 quality (Ender 3 had less string with the tiny vertical bits).

He stressed how much easier the i3 Mk3 is to use and how quite it is.

I've spent a few hours watching various youtube on the Ender 3 (will watch some on the other models suggested to me in this thread tomorrow), and it seems that I can upgrade it to be virtually silent with things like motor dampers etc.  From what I've watched, I THINK (haven't done my sums yet) I could get the Ender 3 and all the bits to upgrade, for 1/2 the price the i3 Mk3 costs.

Then we come to space.  I have two options.  I'm in the middle of rearranging my lab at the moment, I've attached as few pics if anyone's interested, the table to the left hand side, is really totally unused (it has an external disk drive and an audio interface on it, both could be put underneath the table).  The only thing on it is my second monitor (both monitors on those arms that allow them to go up, down in and out).

The table is only 60 cm deep though, and I'm not sure how I could redesign my monitor (or lab) layout to give me the entire table, maybe I could get a stand that allows it to go above my main monitor.  Height is zero problem, shelves can easily be moved/removed.

The other option is our spare room. I say spare room, junk yard is a more apt description, it's used to store everything. Size is no problem there, but I would have to set up a web cam etc to keep an eye on it. Would much rather it in the main room with my PC etc.

If anyone can suggest a better layout for my lab, that could accommodate a 3D printer,  I'm more than happy to consider it.

Many thanks for all the advice

I actually conversed with bean about your space issues last night... one VERY nice thing about the E3's design (which my Diggro shares) is that it is entirely unitized, and it comes with this uber-convenient handle built right in. Because the frame is short enough and rigid enough to support it without harming print quality like with the larger CR-10, you can (and most users do) mount the filament holder right on the top of the unit.

This IS inconvenient in height-restricted areas; however, combined with its light weight it DOES make the E3 form-factor so VERY CONVENIENTLY STOWABLE.

Just unplug the power from the back and stash it somewhere, filament and all. I do NOT recommend leaving the filament stored on the printer for for long durations; keeping the filament from absorbing airborne moisture (I store it in a freezer baggie with a dessicant pack) is a key element to successful prints. However I often take my Diggro off my bench when I want to work on other things for an afternoon, or even just to have room to work on pieces between prints.  :-+ Also, if I want to print something while the fam is in the office, I just cart it upstairs and use it in the bedroom. The E3 is VERY family-livable. :-+

One of the key factors for 3D printing, like everything is location, location, location. You want your printer on a very solid table or workbench; card tables and coffee tables may SEEM just the right size, but they tend to be somewhat wobbly and the printer being able to shuck back & forth does affect print quality. You probably don't want to put it on the wheeled part of your bench. Ikea Lack tables are a popular choice, but I'd suggest x-bracing the legs to stiffen them up. :-+

[EDIT]

https://www.amazon.com/Video-Baby-Monitor-Camera-Audio/dp/B07ZNBVFXG/

Oh... a webcam is not necessary for use while you're doing other stuff. For the easy solution, I just use a cheap Video Baby Monitor if I need to be in another room. They've evolved quite a bit over the last few years; mine is a ANMEATE brand cheapie but it has excellent resolution video w/audio, LiPo battery built-into the monitor with several hours runtime, and it charges from a Micro-USB. You can even run the camera from a micro-USB plugged into a power bank! :-+

Just be mindful, and treat it like you would a baby... pay attention to what it's doing on the monitor, and don't walk away from the monitor and forget it.

Good luck!

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 07:39:44 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: HobGoblyn

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #652 on: May 13, 2020, 07:43:10 pm »
I've spent a few hours watching various youtube on the Ender 3 (will watch some on the other models suggested to me in this thread tomorrow), and it seems that I can upgrade it to be virtually silent with things like motor dampers etc.  From what I've watched, I THINK (haven't done my sums yet) I could get the Ender 3 and all the bits to upgrade, for 1/2 the price the i3 Mk3 costs.

Absolutely, and it's a perfectly reasonable option. The two biggest changes you can make are replacing the controller with something with Trinamic drivers (an SKR Mini E3 is specifically for this purpose, it's drop-in and even comes with firmware for an Ender 3 out of the box - price about £20) and replacing the hotend cooling fan with something less horrific. Noctua make some very nice fans which should suit, you just need to get at either a 5V or 12V supply for them. There's also some reasonable Sunon fans in 24V, if you can find anywhere to buy them. Maybe bolt onto a Digikey or Mouser order..

For the location, that side table should be fine, although you may have to put the printer on sideways. If you can move equipment around a little and scoot the microscope to the right and the monitors with it, you might just be okay there.

Offline Nuno_pt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #653 on: May 13, 2020, 08:19:37 pm »
The guys here are using this kit < https://pt.aliexpress.com/i/4000532227452.html > and BMG extruder clones
Nuno
CT2IRY

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #654 on: May 13, 2020, 08:23:35 pm »
The guys here are using this kit < https://pt.aliexpress.com/i/4000532227452.html > and BMG extruder clones

I can't say I see any upside to using the full SKR when the Mini E3 physically fits correctly..

Also, total sidenote for everyone, for petes sake PLEASE strip the country-specific prefix from Aliexpress links. It's an awful enough site to use without it deciding I want everything in Portuguese or French and getting stuck like that.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #655 on: May 13, 2020, 09:51:38 pm »

https://www.banggood.com/Creality-3D-Ender-3-V2-Upgraded-DIY-3D-Printer-Kit-220x220x250mm-Printing-Size-Ultra-silent-TMC2208-or-Silent-Mainboard-or-Carborundum-Glass-Platform-Support-Resume-Print-p-1661657.html

If you're not needing it immediately, it appears bang-em-good still has some slots available on their preorder allotment of the E3V2. STM32F103 board/Trinamic steppers, similar touchscreen to the one from the BigTreeTech controller. I WAS looking at that when the Diggro came across my RADAR so cheap, but was like "I wanna tinker NOW, not sometime mid-July!" which is when they're due. :-//

Cheers,

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:30:22 pm by mnementh »

Offline Nuno_pt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #656 on: May 13, 2020, 10:43:37 pm »
mnementh, I don't need it now, it will give me more time to research to read and to build a new mITX since my laptop won't run F360, and the 3Pro are all sold out across EU, only for the end of this month there will be stock.

And buy them from China is a no go, since it will hit the costumes and there you go 23% VAT + other taxes and so on.
Nuno
CT2IRY

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #657 on: May 13, 2020, 10:49:04 pm »
The viability of that Ender 3 V2 also largely depends on what it ends up costing you when it's actually on your desk. With the somewhat increased price and possibly a chunk of tax added on top it may be a fairly expensive printer until they're available locally. The silent steppers are nice, the other upgrades I'm not really sure about. I guess they won't hurt, probably. I'm not sure the value for money moves in the right direction. I'm keen to see what the reviews will say.

Offline Nuno_pt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #658 on: May 13, 2020, 11:09:32 pm »
Mr.Scram the prices are very similar in the official store in EU < https://www.creality3dofficial.com/ > or here < https://www.3dprima.com/3d-printers/manufactures/creality/search/creality-106/?aoff=s >
Nuno
CT2IRY

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #659 on: May 13, 2020, 11:30:12 pm »
Mr.Scram the prices are very similar in the official store in EU < https://www.creality3dofficial.com/ > or here < https://www.3dprima.com/3d-printers/manufactures/creality/search/creality-106/?aoff=s >
Creality has a resin printer now. I'm not a fan of the bucket lid, but other than that it's looking quite good. Interesting.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #660 on: May 13, 2020, 11:36:42 pm »
mnementh, I don't need it now, it will give me more time to research to read and to build a new mITX since my laptop won't run F360, and the 3Pro are all sold out across EU, only for the end of this month there will be stock.

And buy them from China is a no go, since it will hit the costumes and there you go 23% VAT + other taxes and so on.

Just to be sure you're aware... the Pro is not the E3V2. It'll still have the 8-bit board, no Trinamic or touchscreen, and the noisy old-design hotend.  :palm: And probably several other upgrades that slip my mind ATM.

It sucks that none of your local vendors even HAVE ACCESS to the E3V2 yet, even for preorder, meanwhile the preorder's been sold out on the CReality site for weeks. |O

Are you sure bang-em-good doesn't have a EU warehouse that could maybe save you from the rump-rangers at customs...?

mnem
 :o
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 11:44:20 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #661 on: May 13, 2020, 11:42:11 pm »

mnem
*Chart-ily*

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #662 on: May 14, 2020, 12:21:11 am »
Speaking of actual prints - we have two center finders. 3 hours for the blue and 35 min. for the red.  :popcorn:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Mr. Scram

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #663 on: May 14, 2020, 12:38:18 am »
Hi,

I got my first 3D printer yesterday.

I have made these parts for attaching the handle on a Tektronix TDS3000 series scope.

More details here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/looking-for-some-tektronix-tds3000-parts/msg3065572/#msg3065572

Here is a picture of the printer:

Regards,
Jay_Diddy_B

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, beanflying

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #664 on: May 14, 2020, 07:57:41 am »
Today I saw on reddit a filament jam detection sensor.  https://reddit.com/r/prusa3d/comments/gifx5s/a_clog_detector_all_files_available/  Ingenius, why don't the printers have this yet?

That is ingenious... can a clog cause any kind of catastrophic failure that could occur in the 7-minute window?
Catastrophic, maybe not. Needs fixing, definitely.

To babysit the printer continuously with a camera is silly. Have some ai do that.
The Spaghetti Detective works nice.

The ideal home single-extruder printer I guess would have:
- Silence.
- Camera with spaghetti detective.
- Filament feedrate sensor.
- Automatic leveling.
- Cabinet with filter for abs.
- Automatic nozzle cleaning
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 08:00:30 am by Jeroen3 »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #665 on: May 14, 2020, 08:30:27 am »
Catastrophic, maybe not. Needs fixing, definitely.

To babysit the printer continuously with a camera is silly. Have some ai do that.
The Spaghetti Detective works nice.

The ideal home single-extruder printer I guess would have:
- Silence.
- Camera with spaghetti detective.
- Filament feedrate sensor.
- Automatic leveling.
- Cabinet with filter for abs.
- Automatic nozzle cleaning
If only the Spaghetti Detective wasn't an online service.  :palm:

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #667 on: May 14, 2020, 09:45:50 am »

You probably don't want to put it on the wheeled part of your bench.

Thanks, neither tables are wheeled, there's another pull out table underneath my main bench which contains music keyboard (see attached).

If you can move equipment around a little and scoot the microscope to the right and the monitors with it, you might just be okay there.

Sadly I don't think this is possible, as it is, the space between the lamp stand on the right,  to the microscope on the left, is only 70 cm (27 inch), I already wish I had slightly more space there.  Then again, I can swing the microscope out of the way when not in use, so I'll have to have a think.

At the moment I'm strongly favouring the E3 but am going to keep researching and watching youtube vids of the others

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #668 on: May 14, 2020, 11:20:28 am »
I presume the Pro version is worth the extra £55?

Amazon UK has pro for £299 and non pro for £245

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #669 on: May 14, 2020, 11:32:56 am »
I presume the Pro version is worth the extra £55?

Amazon UK has pro for £299 and non pro for £245
Just the name brand power supply is worth it in my eyes and the other improvements can't hurt.

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #670 on: May 14, 2020, 01:28:42 pm »
Will order the following  in about 3 hours unless someone tells me I shouldn't :)

£14 Vibration Damper 

£40  SKR Mini E3

Cheapest Pro I've found on Amazon is £270 Here

Total cost £324.  Plus the cost of a fan which I will get once it's arrived and I've looked into it more.

Advice on good filament so I can order some at the same time much appreciated.

Thanks  (will also look at other UK stockists to see if they have printer cheaper)

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #671 on: May 14, 2020, 01:52:15 pm »
Much as the magnetic build surface on the Ender is 'easy' it is fairly soft and prone to suffering in the longer term so I have swapped mine both out for the Creality Glass ones. So initially it works fine but either consider it a wearing part or see if you can find one with Glass as standard.

The Meanwell upgrade is worth a reasonable chunk of the $ on the Pro version as is the wider rail for the bed to run on most other differences are very minor.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #672 on: May 14, 2020, 02:01:00 pm »
Will order the following  in about 3 hours unless someone tells me I shouldn't :)

£14 Vibration Damper 

£40  SKR Mini E3

Cheapest Pro I've found on Amazon is £270 Here

Total cost £324.  Plus the cost of a fan which I will get once it's arrived and I've looked into it more.

Advice on good filament so I can order some at the same time much appreciated.

Thanks  (will also look at other UK stockists to see if they have printer cheaper)

Or for £369, I can buy an Ender 5 pro

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #673 on: May 14, 2020, 02:07:39 pm »
Or for £369, I can buy an Ender 5 pro
Which you'll want upgrades for too. Which brings it closer to the price of a Prusa MK3. For which you'll  probably want some upgrades for sooner or later. You get the point.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #674 on: May 14, 2020, 02:13:37 pm »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf