Author Topic: 3D Printer yet?  (Read 324861 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #775 on: May 22, 2020, 10:16:47 pm »

Mundane print number 73: 13mm beads to repair a pair of monkey-drums my wife uses for teaching music. *yawwwwnnnn*

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #776 on: May 22, 2020, 10:23:53 pm »
Yeah, that looks pretty nice. You're overextruding, hard to say if that's the printer or the slicer.

On the test print, probably not good enough cooling for the overhangs (try printing rotated a few different ways to catch the airflow differently), and some retraction-related zits and the like due to the bowden, but nothing unexpected.

Try and fix up the extrusion rate and carry on printing!

Thanks.  How do I tell if it’s over extruding?

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #777 on: May 22, 2020, 10:32:03 pm »
So far I’ve been using it stock. I might add my skr  mini and touch screen next

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #778 on: May 22, 2020, 10:36:30 pm »
Thanks.  How do I tell if it’s over extruding?
You get extra material squished into the same space, so outside dimensions are too big and details get lost. The lid not fitting and the letters in the test getting filled up seem to both be signs of this, though it's good to test to make sure. There are very helpful guides to help you identify problems and possible causes. Note the Simplify 3D over-extrusion example is hilariously extreme.

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/
https://www.prusa3d.com/print-quality-troubleshooting/

The following users thanked this post: HobGoblyn

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #779 on: May 23, 2020, 12:28:30 am »

Finished. Wife was pleased; daughter is ecstatic...  :o

mnem
"bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong..."

|O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #780 on: May 23, 2020, 12:40:42 am »
So far I’ve been using it stock. I might add my skr  mini and touch screen next.

Of course, that won't calibrate your extrusion.  :-DD

I love the touchscreen on mine, but it does have one big caveat; for daily use it's awesome... but if you want to add things to the display (my extra temp monitor for example) it is a lot more involved (you have to generate bitmaps and modify the LCD firmware with a Menu Builder dev environment) than with the stock 128x64 LCD; wherein such things can be done simply by adding a few lines in Marlin. Your Touchscreen SHOULD have a 128x64 emulation mode tho, which will make that easy if necessary for some mod or tinkery like I sometimes do. ;)

mnem
 :-/O

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #781 on: May 23, 2020, 05:44:04 pm »
Since I asked in here, I have ventured forth yet again into that vast sea of shite in search of comprehensive explanations for the setting in current versions of Cura. My Google-Fu was rewarded with some lucky hits that do seem to be mostly useful information this time around. :-+

I've been reading up here: https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/sections/360003548619-Print-settings

and here: https://all3dp.com/1/cura-tutorial-software-slicer-cura-3d/

Good luck!

mnem

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #782 on: May 23, 2020, 06:02:16 pm »
A little help installing my Bigtree touch screen please.

I've installed the SKR Mini 1.2 and have the LCD cable plunged into the new touch screen in EXT3.

The touchscreen diagram here

http://www.bigtree-tech.com/shop/product/show/id/5

says to use EXT3 for CR10-LCD, if I use EXT2 nothing happens and if I use EXT1 it hangs displaying "LCD12864 simulator".  EXT3 shows "LCD12864 Simulator" for a couple of secs then boots into a green and black mono display that acts like the original display.   So I've left it in EXT3.

I'm not 100% sure where I'm supposed to plug in the TFT cable on the SKR mini.  From the pics on here

http://www.bigtree-tech.com/shop/product/show/id/6

the wiring diagram doesn't mention the touch screen cable.  I presume it plugs into TFT but it can go either way.

I'm done for the day, beer calls, so I wont reply until tomorrow, but any help greatly recieved.

Thanks

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #783 on: May 23, 2020, 06:59:59 pm »

says to use EXT3 for CR10-LCD, ...

I have the same setup. EXT3 is correct. You have a choice of interfaces - either the mono display or the touch screen. You can choose by holding down the control knob for a few seconds, then use the knob to select which interface you desire.

Be aware - my touch screen did not function until I changed the serial port settings in Configuration.h in the Marlin software and re-built the firmware as shown below. Hope you don't have to ...  :P

/**
 * Select the serial port on the board to use for communication with the host.
 * This allows the connection of wireless adapters (for instance) to non-default port pins.
 * Note: The first serial port (-1 or 0) will always be used by the Arduino bootloader.
 * :[-1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7]
 */
#define SERIAL_PORT -1

/**
 * Select a secondary serial port on the board to use for communication with the host.
 * This allows the connection of wireless adapters (for instance) to non-default port pins.
 * Serial port -1 is the USB emulated serial port, if available.
 * :[-1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7]
 */
#define SERIAL_PORT_2 2
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #784 on: May 23, 2020, 07:17:26 pm »
If you want their fancy touch interface you need to use the port on the display marked 'RS232', which connects to the TFT header on the SKR.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #785 on: May 23, 2020, 09:54:14 pm »
Doesn't he have to upgrade to Marlin 2.0.x for the 32-bit SKR? Pretty sure the E3s all come with 1.1.9x or 1.1.8x... and I see nothing newer than 1.1.6.x on their downloads section.
I'm not too sanguine about dumping a ground-up build/compile of Marlin in a completely new IDE (PlatformIO) on a relative noob; seems a terrible trick to play on the guy. Of course, if someone has precompiled binaries they can lay on teh HobGoblyn it should be relatively simple to at least get his machine to a "signs of life" starting point...

mnem
time to drop back & punt...

« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 09:57:59 pm by mnementh »

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #786 on: May 23, 2020, 10:06:33 pm »
The SKR Mini E3 comes with a pre-compiled Marlin build already configured for the Ender 3, as it's supposed to be drop-in.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #787 on: May 23, 2020, 10:56:20 pm »
The SKR Mini E3 comes with a pre-compiled Marlin build already configured for the Ender 3, as it's supposed to be drop-in.

Yes that's true. I only used the board with that firmware for my initial warm fuzzy, then I moved on to experimenting with Marlin 2.0. I then later got the touch screen and had to muck around with the port settings.

So yes the touch screen may very well work with that firmware as is. I'm just reporting what I had to do later, in case anyone else reading may want to try it.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #788 on: May 23, 2020, 10:58:09 pm »
If you want their fancy touch interface you need to use the port on the display marked 'RS232', which connects to the TFT header on the SKR.

Which way around on the TFT header, it can go either way.

EDIT: found YouTube vid that shows which way round it goes, see from 5:00

https://youtu.be/l1Putn10_Ek
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:39:46 pm by HobGoblyn »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #789 on: May 23, 2020, 11:41:02 pm »

Yes that's true. I only used the board with that firmware for my initial warm fuzzy, then I moved on to experimenting with Marlin 2.0. I then later got the touch screen and had to muck around with the port settings.

So yes the touch screen may very well work with that firmware as is. I'm just reporting what I had to do later, in case anyone else reading may want to try it.  :)

Aaah, okay. So the poor guy isn't just left to his own devices to get it up & running. Good. :-+

What are they using... one of the "unofficial" 32-bit builds of 1.1.9 or somesuch on the SKR Mini E3...?

What IDE are you working in with Marlin 2.0.x...? PlatformIO, or one of the STMduino IDEs for a familiar workspace...?

mnem

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #790 on: May 23, 2020, 11:56:13 pm »

Which way around on the TFT header, it can go either way.

EDIT: found YouTube vid that shows which way round it goes, see from 5:00

https://youtu.be/l1Putn10_Ek

Yeah... okay. That's the video I was thinking of when I said your TS had emulation mode.  :-+ I tried to find it for you a couple times but alas, my Gurrgle-Fu was weak. Glad you were able to find it yourself!

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:57:57 pm by mnementh »

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #791 on: May 24, 2020, 12:01:55 am »
What are they using... one of the "unofficial" 32-bit builds of 1.1.9 or somesuch on the SKR Mini E3...?

You know I don't know, I just ran it a few times with what came with it and moved on.

What IDE are you working in with Marlin 2.0.x...? PlatformIO, or one of the STMduino IDEs for a familiar workspace...?

VS Code. Have had pretty good luck with it compiling the firmware. A few times when the Moon was in the wrong phase it gave me mysterious errors, but most of the time it behaves.

Are you interested in getting into it?  :popcorn:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #792 on: May 24, 2020, 03:51:54 am »
I’m looking ahead towards when I get my CR-6. I know it’ll be 32-bit; I want to have at least half a clue what I’m dealing with when it gets here. 

Looking at that touchscreen, it’s pretty evident my DIGGRO uses the same serial connection; I’m half tempted to buy one of those SKR Mini kits myself just to learn with. Or maybe the cheaper 3.5” V2.0 or the TFT24 touchscreen to learn about the Dev Environment they use; I see them on AliEx for like $20.

mnem
Things that make you go “Hmmmmmm...”

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #793 on: May 24, 2020, 11:17:07 am »
OK I've followed those instructions, double checked from a few other vids and everything is wired as per instructions.

I now have my touch screen working.

However both the front and side fan on the hot end are on full power, and the fan control on the touch panel controls the main board fan lol, so I need to swap them over.  But I think one of the hot end fans will still be on permanently and I'll only get control over the other (presume the side fan)

Need to get used to it, for example, I presumed, pressing and holding the X up arrow would keep moving in the X direction, but it doesn't, I get presented with the screen where I choose between touch or normal. I have to keep tapping the up arrow.

I will swap the fan cables then do a quick vid

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #794 on: May 24, 2020, 11:45:49 am »
OK I've followed those instructions, double checked from a few other vids and everything is wired as per instructions.

I now have my touch screen working.

However both the front and side fan on the hot end are on full power, and the fan control on the touch panel controls the main board fan lol, so I need to swap them over.  But I think one of the hot end fans will still be on permanently and I'll only get control over the other (presume the side fan)

Cool!

You can get the updated touch screen firmware here -

https://github.com/bigtreetech/BIGTREETECH-TouchScreenFirmware

They release bug fixes all the time. I just put the latest update on last night. No need to compile anything it's ready to go. Just follow the instructions.

There's still a bug in that the part cooling fan "F0 % speed always shows "0%" when actually printing a model, but the fan is working fine. If you go into the menu and control it manually it does show the increase. The bug has been reported several times.

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #795 on: May 24, 2020, 11:47:06 am »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #796 on: May 24, 2020, 01:00:10 pm »
There's still a bug in that the part cooling fan "F0 % speed always shows "0%" when actually printing a model, but the fan is working fine. If you go into the menu and control it manually it does show the increase. The bug has been reported several times.

Fan speed is not reported via serial, so that's not a bug in the display.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #797 on: May 24, 2020, 01:26:07 pm »
Fan speed is not reported via serial, so that's not a bug in the display.

Yea it looks like it's recently being reported to Marlin (7 days ago) so may be fixed soon -

https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/pull/18013

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #798 on: May 24, 2020, 02:08:21 pm »
So I added the new springs.  I adjusted the z switch so that it was just touching the bed with about 3mm of thread showing under each wheel.

I then did a bed level check and got it perfect.

I then ran a bed level test, got this awful noise as the head gouged into my magnetic mat, panicked on the touch screen trying to get it to stop and turned it off.

Now have a deep gouge in left hand side of mat as per pics  (pics show both sides) :(   Will go through entire process again.

Haven't updated firmware yet, that's my next job

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #799 on: May 24, 2020, 02:34:41 pm »
No crash detection I see...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf