Author Topic: 3D Printer yet?  (Read 325059 times)

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #800 on: May 24, 2020, 02:48:51 pm »
I'm going backwards now.

If I select Merlin, I just get a green screen, only the bigtree touch side works :(

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #801 on: May 24, 2020, 02:56:33 pm »
I'm going backwards now.

If I select Merlin, I just get a green screen, only the bigtree touch side works :(

In touch mode try Settings - screen and check the background and foreground colors (they apply to the Marlin mode screen) - they might both be green. Try changing them ...
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: HobGoblyn

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #802 on: May 24, 2020, 03:01:39 pm »
Yep that's what I had done lol, been going mad, re-checking all cables etc.

Thanks

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #803 on: May 24, 2020, 03:28:27 pm »
My first guess on your crash would be that you have your Z-limit plugged in the wrong place; either plugged into a wrong port altogether, or swapped with one of the other axes. Alternately, in Marlin it could be undefined or defined to a different pin, or defined to a different switch type (NO vs NC vs optical) from your original board.

mnem
been dere, dunnat, burned da filament.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 03:31:35 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #804 on: May 24, 2020, 03:37:21 pm »
Print where it gouged bed was done from the bigtree screen

I redid the whole moving z switch so it's just touching the bed with about 3 mm of thread showing under each bed adjustment wheel (had to move switch up a couple of mm, so don't know what went wrong first time), relevelled it again, and the test print worked fine with the Marlin software. I switched back to Bigtree, this time it tried to print at about 1cm above the bed.

Not altered the wires and it's 100% fine with Marlin.  (board was clearly marked for all the axis), but it's the sort of thing I would do :)

As I had to preheat bed and nozzle when trying test print with Bigtree, I presume it needs different gcode anyway, so maybe that was a contributing factor

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #805 on: May 24, 2020, 03:39:11 pm »
Wait, wait, wait... when you say "Bed level Test", what do you mean...? You ran the 5-point leveling GCode, or you ran a bed leveling procedure from the touchscreen?

It's possible that TS/controller came pre-configured for BLTouch and mesh leveling; not sure what all that would do if there's no BLTouch Sensor...  :o

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #806 on: May 24, 2020, 04:37:42 pm »
I ran 5 point gcode, when that had finished I ran level test gcode.   I ran the 5 point test about 5 times as had changed springs and it was perfect. Then ran the bed level test (which prints ever decreasing squared on the bed) and it gouged away.

It has got the BLtouch levelling on there but I didn't use that

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #807 on: May 24, 2020, 05:46:03 pm »
I've updated the TFT firmware to BIGTREE_TFT35_V3.0.26.1

It seemed to go fine but towards the end of updating the icons, it couldn't find various icons to update.  I presumed it meant it couldn't find them on the current system hence couldn't update them, but read on.

I chose the first Copy to SD card.... NOT the Unified Menu Material Theme?

Once the update had finished, it came up with

There is now no icon for level, but when I touch it, it now shows normal bed levelling, not the BLTouch

If I select to print the test Gcode that came with the SKR/TFT package, if I put  the microSD card into the USB adaptor and plug it into the side of the TFT and select to print from it, it see's the microSD fine.  If I put the microSD into the main slot (tried powering off), as soon as I select to print from main slot, it comes up with the following and hangs.

It worked fine before I did the update.  However the microSD card that came with the printer works totally fine both ways.

So I've put the test code in the USB adaptor and selected to print it, it comes up with

Which seems to be saying there's nothing in that code to heat up the bed/nozzle, not a clue what this test is meant to do, so not that bothered.

and the screen behind that message looks like

I haven't tried updating the firmware on the main board yet, maybe that would help. 

I've just retried printing the bed levelling test from the touch screen and it's come out fine (OK haven't sorted out extrusion yet and it's starting each square with a little splodge), so things seem to be improving.  Icons on screen still same as previous pic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #808 on: May 24, 2020, 06:09:28 pm »
Brave soul!  :-+

This kind of headache (and the fact I already have the DIGGRO) is why I decided to wait on the CR-6 instead of trying to update my hardware. "Drop-in replacement" my scaly dwagon arse!!!  ;)

Good luck, my friend... I think I'm still a bit on the noob side to be a lot of help in this particular arena. But I'll keep tuned in between episodes of the "Angus Builds Shit and busts 3DP Balls" show...  :-DD

mnem

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #809 on: May 24, 2020, 07:30:05 pm »
Well, the SKR is drop-in.. that 'LCD' (whole computer running the printer over serial, in practical terms) is doing who knows what.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, HobGoblyn

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #810 on: May 24, 2020, 09:39:48 pm »
I've updated the TFT firmware to BIGTREE_TFT35_V3.0.26.1

It seemed to go fine but towards the end of updating the icons, it couldn't find various icons to update.  I presumed it meant it couldn't find them on the current system hence couldn't update them, but read on.

I chose the first Copy to SD card.... NOT the Unified Menu Material Theme?

Once the update had finished, it came up with

That's to be expected for the SKR mini board. That option isn't available. I think you will only see that message once. I experimented with that a while back and discovered for myself that Marlin won't compile with it defined.

Just for anyone interested, here's what happens if I uncomment out that #define in Configuration_adv.h -

// Enable an emergency-command parser to intercept certain commands as they
// enter the serial receive buffer, so they cannot be blocked.
// Currently handles M108, M112, M410
// Does not work on boards using AT90USB (USBCON) processors!

#define EMERGENCY_PARSER

this is what you are greeted with -

Compiling .pio\build\STM32F103RC_btt_512K\src\src\HAL\shared\eeprom_api.cpp.o

In file included from Marlin\src\HAL\STM32F1\../../inc/MarlinConfig.h:41:0,
                 from Marlin\src\HAL\STM32F1\HAL.cpp:30:
d:\marlin-2.0.5.3\marlin\src\hal\stm32f1\inc\sanitycheck.h:29:4: error: #error "EMERGENCY_PARSER is not yet implemented for STM32F1.

Disable EMERGENCY_PARSER to continue."
   #error "EMERGENCY_PARSER is not yet implemented for STM32F1.

^~~~~
In file included from Marlin\src\HAL\STM32F1\../../inc/MarlinConfig.h:41:0,
                 from Marlin\src\HAL\STM32F1\HAL_SPI.cpp:35:
d:\marlin-2.0.5.3\marlin\src\hal\stm32f1\inc\sanitycheck.h:29:4: error: #error "EMERGENCY_PARSER is not yet implemented for STM32F1.

#error "EMERGENCY_PARSER is not yet implemented for STM32F1. Disable EMERGENCY_PARSER to continue."

You can read about that here -

https://github.com/bigtreetech/BIGTREETECH-TouchScreenFirmware/issues/468
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 09:42:12 pm by xrunner »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #811 on: May 25, 2020, 02:36:54 am »
 :o

mnem
*twitch... twitch... twitcha-twitch...*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #812 on: May 25, 2020, 02:47:04 am »

mnem

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #813 on: May 25, 2020, 11:32:42 am »

mnem

:-DD

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #814 on: May 25, 2020, 12:50:31 pm »
I'll read up on compiling and give it a go.

While I've not done it for about 15 years,  have lost count of the number of UNIX/Linux kernels I've compiled  (used to spend days installing my own custom version of Gentoo), and can also program in C, so should be able to muddle through.

I'll soon find out :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #815 on: May 25, 2020, 03:45:57 pm »

mnem

:-DD

I would take the red pill and the blue pill and shove them both up your nose. :-DD

mnem
"Heh... now x sounds like a punchdrunk boxer when he talks..." >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #816 on: May 25, 2020, 03:48:16 pm »
I'll read up on compiling and give it a go.

While I've not done it for about 15 years,  have lost count of the number of UNIX/Linux kernels I've compiled  (used to spend days installing my own custom version of Gentoo), and can also program in C, so should be able to muddle through.

I'll soon find out :)

*makes sign of the cross with fingers, hissing as I slowly back away...*    ;)

mnem
This is how World War Z starts...

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #817 on: May 25, 2020, 05:00:50 pm »

*makes sign of the cross with fingers, hissing as I slowly back away...*    ;)

mnem
This is how World War Z starts...

Ah come on be brave - nothing can go wrong.  :-DD

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #818 on: May 25, 2020, 05:20:19 pm »
Hehe

I followed the instructions here

First time compiling had an error due to instead of me overwriting something with 500, I added an extra number.

Second time compiling, it failed because I had a lower case "v"  24v  instead of 24V

Third time it failed with a strange adafruit error, was posting it on Reddit, when noticed the people below me had exactly the same problem, was nothing to do with me and was an easy fix, solution can be found here you just change one line in platformio.ini

Forth time it compiled yay

Before updating

After updating

So I'm happy I can get it to work.

Now I need to set it up perfectly :)    Now have bed levelling under Marlin (as in getting it to go to one of 4 points for traditional levelling)  but no longer have printer info.   

I will download Bigtrees version and compare with the Marlin version I got today and go from there  (but am busy tomorrow)

Beer time :)

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #819 on: May 25, 2020, 05:31:00 pm »
Best of luck... you'll be the trailblazer in our little clique of noobs for now!  :-+

mnem
Nice that it isn't ME for a change... |O
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 05:33:15 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #820 on: May 25, 2020, 05:57:09 pm »
Hehe   I followed the instructions here
(SNIP)
So I'm happy I can get it to work.

Now I need to set it up perfectly :)    Now have bed levelling under Marlin (as in getting it to go to one of 4 points for traditional levelling)  but no longer have printer info.   

I will download Bigtrees version and compare with the Marlin version I got today and go from there  (but am busy tomorrow)

Beer time :)

Did you snag a copy of the installed firmware first...? Or didja just go Commando and nuke/pave, since you already have a working MB as backup...?

I actually had  more hassle getting AVRdude to connect and pull my OE firmware & flash ROM  than I did getting the Marlin files from Longer 4K to compile and run the printer; I was lucky. Good thing too, since I had NO WAY to fix the TS if there was some undocumented version conflict and it didn't want to play along; my MB has no EXT ports for a 128x64 LCD. :scared:

@Monkeh: I've never traced out EXT1 & EXT2... do you know what they actually are...? I'm guessing a SPI bus for the LCD and combination of multiple ADC/Multi I/O pins for the rotary encoder & peizo spkr...?

mnem

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #821 on: May 25, 2020, 06:23:51 pm »
Hehe

I followed the instructions here

First time compiling had an error due to instead of me overwriting something with 500, I added an extra number.

Second time compiling, it failed because I had a lower case "v"  24v  instead of 24V

Third time it failed with a strange adafruit error, was posting it on Reddit, when noticed the people below me had exactly the same problem, was nothing to do with me and was an easy fix, solution can be found here you just change one line in platformio.ini

Forth time it compiled yay

Congratulations grasshopper! You have walked the path to greater 3D printer wisdom.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, HobGoblyn

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #822 on: May 25, 2020, 08:34:56 pm »
I have the original firmware backed up on my pc and on the Microsd card that came with the SKR mini.

Have tried reflashing original and it works fine.

Oddly, flashing the original FIRMWARE.BIN, on completion it renames to FIRMWARE.CUR. Yet flashing the updated version, it leaves it on the microsd as .BIN

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #823 on: May 25, 2020, 08:38:53 pm »
@Monkeh: I've never traced out EXT1 & EXT2... do you know what they actually are...? I'm guessing a SPI bus for the LCD and combination of multiple ADC/Multi I/O pins for the rotary encoder & peizo spkr...?

4-bit parallel + enable for the LCD, couple pins for the encoder and buzzer, SPI for an external SD, reset.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #824 on: May 26, 2020, 02:52:22 am »
Ugggh. Not gonna be near as easy to try & pull those all out to secondary headers on the Longer MB as it was to get A15.  |O

I have the original firmware backed up on my pc and on the Microsd card that came with the SKR mini.

Have tried reflashing original and it works fine.

Oddly, flashing the original FIRMWARE.BIN, on completion it renames to FIRMWARE.CUR. Yet flashing the updated version, it leaves it on the microsd as .BIN

Oh, yeah right... not the same scenario as my DIGGRO, where I had concerns that the installed FW might not be exactly the same as what the OEM posted on their website, so I felt it necessary to pull a backup of the live FW as a last-ditch backup.

mnem
 :-/O

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf