Author Topic: 3D Printer yet?  (Read 324864 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #1075 on: July 09, 2020, 03:39:27 pm »
The entire point of this build material is that when you tighten it all down it self-squares at those end joints. A mm or so runout is a LOT with this stuff; you must have a damaged section of extrusion or a machined end with the burrs folded over itself.  :scared: Inspect them carefully.

It IS possible you have some pieces where the machining is faulty; this is not common now, but it was a common complaint with E3s and CR10s made by "licensee" distributors a year or two ago.  :-// That is part of why CReality ended the "licensee/franchisee" program.

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: HobGoblyn

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1076 on: July 09, 2020, 03:50:55 pm »
The entire point of this build material is that when you tighten it all down it self-squares at those end joints.

This only holds if the extrusions are adequately square, all cut faces are actually square, and all threads are tapped straight.. all of which is fairly incompatible with the price point. Close, yes, actually square, not so easy.

It's actually easier to get square assemblies when you only joint on the extruded faces, with extruded and preferably machined brackets.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1077 on: July 09, 2020, 04:50:22 pm »
Patently untrue. The best way to get a true and square frame is with end-joints like most modern extrusion-frame 3DPs use. Angle brackets are a waste of time; whether plates or machined the simply have no rigidity compared to a properly machined end-joint. They can be helpful in conjunction with; but they are no replacement for a properly made end-joint.

Yes, the extrusion has to be machined precisely. It is not hard, there’s a whole constellation of machine tools expressly made for doing that precise machining quickly and cost-effectively on this stuff; I used to use it every day. That is the problem with the “licensee” product; they tried to cut corners by not getting the correct tools to precisely cut those corners... and ends... and gullets.

mnem
  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 01:05:05 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1078 on: July 09, 2020, 06:14:49 pm »
The best way to get a true and square frame is with end-joints like most modern extrusion-frame 3DPs use. Angle bracket are a waste of time; whether plates or machined the simply have no rigidity compared to a properly machined end-joint. They can be helpful in conjunction with; but they are no replacement for a properly made end-joint.

They are not a waste of time if you're not relying on them for rigidity. I never said they were the better solution for a floppy open-frame.

I will of course bow to your deep experience and direct knowledge of the Creality factory and practices.. and still maintain that at this price point expecting a properly square frame every time is optimistic at best.

That said, it's also best not to rely on cheap tools to square a frame. A lot of typical squares in DIY shops are anything but, tapes are easily fooled, and even a rule can rapidly mislead you.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 06:17:56 pm by Monkeh »

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #1079 on: July 09, 2020, 10:24:44 pm »
My (adult) kids are here until Sunday, not seen them since Christmas due to lockdown, so I doubt I’ll touch it until then.

The problem is, if I put a flat edge over the top of the pieces that the vertical bits screw down on, the middle is higher than the outsides. Hard to explain, will record a short vid and show you. This is why tightening the screws pull it so far out of true, both screws are either side of the middle and it’s effectively pivoting On the middle depending on which screw is tightened more.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1080 on: July 09, 2020, 10:32:57 pm »
It's warped coming out of the die. That's not exactly uncommon for 2040 extrusion. To Creality's credit, they machined the mating surfaces on the CR-6 to fix that.

A little cautious work with a file could achieve the same result for you, it probably won't look pretty.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 10:34:57 pm by Monkeh »

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram, HobGoblyn

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #1081 on: July 09, 2020, 11:03:21 pm »
The problem is, if I put a flat edge over the top of the pieces that the vertical bits screw down on, the middle is higher than the outsides. Hard to explain, will record a short vid and show you. This is why tightening the screws pull it so far out of true, both screws are either side of the middle and it’s effectively pivoting On the middle depending on which screw is tightened more.

I've got to give you a lot of credit for your persistence. You're really beating it into submission.  :-+

As far as any more physical mods to mine - I've got linear rails, the SKR board, the touch screen, Pi running Octoprint and camera, modded fan shrouds, a good glass bed. I've beat it into submission several times now. It's operating really well and I'm inclined to not fuck around with any more physical mods unless it's something really revolutionary.  :-DD

But, I will keep the Marlin version updated (not that doing that might also fuck it up  :P )
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1082 on: July 10, 2020, 12:46:18 am »
The best way to get a true and square frame is with end-joints like most modern extrusion-frame 3DPs use. Angle bracket are a waste of time; whether plates or machined the simply have no rigidity compared to a properly machined end-joint. They can be helpful in conjunction with; but they are no replacement for a properly made end-joint.

They are not a waste of time if you're not relying on them for rigidity. I never said they were the better solution for a floppy open-frame.

I will of course bow to your deep experience and direct knowledge of the Creality factory and practices.. and still maintain that at this price point expecting a properly square frame every time is optimistic at best.

That said, it's also best not to rely on cheap tools to square a frame. A lot of typical squares in DIY shops are anything but, tapes are easily fooled, and even a rule can rapidly mislead you.

Every time, no. MOST of the time, from CReality themselves, I'll say yes. That is the "minimum standard of quality" I was talking about. I don't think that CReality is GREAT quality; but what I've seen indicates they are better overall than your generally dismissive tone would suggest.  :-//

I don't have superior knowledge of their practices; only a lot of digging through numerous usergroups describing the problems CReality had with licensee vendors not maintaining QC and then pulling the plug altogether.

I DO have superior knowledge (compared to most) of the materials used; I know how they're supposed to be cut & assembled, and I know how easy it is for people who don't know/don't care to make a complete dog's breakfast of even a basic aluminum extrusion fab. I also know how easy it can be to do the job right if you spend the money on the right tools and a little time learning how to use them. There's a reason they call it a Build SYSTEM, after all. ;)

That knowledge tells me that the first likeliest cause is as I suggested: either a damaged part, or one with burrs from the machining processes interfering with the proper fitment of the joints. Alternately, if a fabber is careless, they CAN bend the crap out of the extrusion as part of the machining process if they don't take the time to do prep correctly; this doesn't happen often if the correct tools and technique are used.

You're right, I don't know for a fact that not using the right tools is the cause here; but I'm confident enough in my surmise to proffer it as VERY probable fact. Hoofbeats, think horses not zebras, etc. That is my PROFESSIONAL opinion, as someone who has done 8020 for a living, and done it well, and had to clean up other people's 8020 build messes more times than I care to count.  :palm:

Agreed, a cheap carpenter's square is not going to cut the mustard here. Well, it COULD, but you'd have to validate it against a known GOOD quality square, preferably of the machinist variety. :P

The plastic rollers these printers use are very forgiving; they can eat more than a mm of runout over the lengths we're dealing with here. That does, however, mean that the finished moving assembly is NOT going to be as precise as a machine that uses the extrusion as a frame for precision movement hardware.

xrunner has the correct attitude; start with the decent foundation the E3 gives you, learn on it, then when you know enough about what you're doing, upgrade to precision linear slides/rods & bearings.

It's too bad so much time has passed; I'm pretty sure that if HobGoblyn had detected the warped parts he's talking about during the original build, the vendor would have made it right. I know CReality would have. :-//

mnem

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1083 on: July 10, 2020, 01:03:47 am »
It's warped coming out of the die. That's not exactly uncommon for 2040 extrusion. To Creality's credit, they machined the mating surfaces on the CR-6 to fix that.

A little cautious work with a file could achieve the same result for you, it probably won't look pretty.

What you're describing would be either process control issues with the extrusion or more likely, a worn-out die being used far beyond its intended life cycle. The dies tend to wear from the central core outwards, and that wear can be nonlinear. This would make the center rib(s) larger than they should be.

I would agree it is probable even CReality got a bad batch of extrusion from a supplier; likely more than once. There's so much of it coming from every corner of China and so much demand; with turnover like that I'm sure it's hard to make sure every single length of extrusion is good.  :palm:

mnem
 :-/O

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1084 on: July 10, 2020, 02:09:27 am »

What you're describing would be either process control issues with the extrusion or more likely, a worn-out die being used far beyond its intended life cycle. The dies tend to wear from the central core outwards, and that wear can be nonlinear. This would make the center rib(s) larger than they should be.

I have here an offcut of 2040 V-Slot from a reputable supplier. The centre core measures 19.95mm, the total width is 39.90mm, the 'wings' 19.76mm aross their full width and 19.6mm for the last mm or so. The widest inside dimension of the slots is specced out at 11mm - on the 40mm face, this measures exactly 11.00mm on my samples. On the 20mm face, it measures 10.89mm. The main opening is specified at 6.25mm, on the 40mm face it's 6.4mm, on the 20mm, 6.27mm.

Make of those what you will. I think it looks like uneven cooling.

I would agree it is probable even CReality got a bad batch of extrusion from a supplier; likely more than once. There's so much of it coming from every corner of China and so much demand; with turnover like that I'm sure it's hard to make sure every single length of extrusion is good.

Hence my point that 'even CReality' will be affected by the price point they're setting. Again I commend them on machining the critical surface on the CR-6. Couple that with <0.1mm length error, square cuts, and straight taps, and that thing could be the squarest machine they've ever produced.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1085 on: July 10, 2020, 03:48:52 am »
I stand behind my characterization of them as “the best-polished turd in a sea of shite”... I think they’re aiming for a different yardstick; quick, easy, reliable-ish & cheap for beginners and folks not needing engineering-quality prints. For their application, “crude but effective” is a feature, not a fault.

Those measurements are exponentially worse than anything I ever worked with from industrial 8020 build materials; their tolerances were close enough you could use their extrusion for deck spacers on a mill. Not precision standard tolerances, but within a few thou ferr sherr. Makes me think about doing some similar investigation of the extrusion on my cheap knockoff... I’d probably regret it tho.

It just seems your opinion of CReality is that they’re generally barely better than pond scum. I prefer to like them for what they are, warts and all, rather than dislike them for not being something they’re not trying to be.  :-//

Sure I’d love to see them offer a quality linear & dual-z upgrade kit for their most popular models... but then they’d have to add a proper Volcano-type hotend and a dual-drive extruder and a direct-drive extruder version as well, and better bed heater and... the list goes on & on...

Who knows; maybe they’ll get the engineers that made the CR6 to start doing some upgrades as well. It’s those nickel/dime bling parts where the real profit is anyways...

mnem

« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 03:53:12 am by mnementh »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #1086 on: July 10, 2020, 04:25:21 am »
I see an asymptotic progression from you two... heading towards a similar point from opposite sides.  You're never going to meet until we get down to quantum dimensions - and even then there will be uncertainty.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 06:22:51 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #1087 on: July 10, 2020, 11:22:18 am »
Here's a 6 sec vid showing what I mean

https://youtu.be/gw-_-Uw1wxM
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 12:22:49 pm by HobGoblyn »

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #1088 on: July 10, 2020, 11:34:15 am »
Here'sá 6 sec vid showing what I mean

Never noticed that here but I did check all those types of rails just now - all OK. Yea that might cause a problem ...  :--
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1089 on: July 10, 2020, 12:38:04 pm »
Yeah, that's just like the 2040 I have here, definitely cause trouble.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #1090 on: July 10, 2020, 01:41:07 pm »
I see an asymptotic progression from you two... heading towards a similar point from opposite sides.  You're never going to meet until we get down to quantum dimensions - and even the there will be uncertainty.
I doubt you'll ever meet when arguing with mnem, unless you just agree.  ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1091 on: July 10, 2020, 04:31:34 pm »
I see an asymptotic progression from you two... heading towards a similar point from opposite sides.  You're never going to meet until we get down to quantum dimensions - and even the there will be uncertainty.

Yeah, I sortof saw that too... hence the more moderate content of my last post and ending it with .

TL/DR: I think he's too hard on CReality; I suspect he thinks my standards are too low and that causes me to recommend inferior product.  ;)

mnem
"You don't always get what you pay for; but you should expect to pay for what you want." ~me
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 04:46:59 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1092 on: July 10, 2020, 04:42:18 pm »

Here's á 6 sec vid showing what I mean

Never noticed that here but I did check all those types of rails just now - all OK. Yea that might cause a problem ...  :--

Yeah, that extrusion just plain blows goats. Literally not fit for purpose, as it's supposed to be V-Groove OpenBuilds type extrusion.  :palm: 

Looking at the profile, how thin the walls are, and the fact there is no actual core region to the extrusion... no way in hell that profile is gonna be stable in production.  Honestly, the manufacturer should be shunned like the plague they are. Shame on CReality (or whomever your vendor contracted from if a licensee).  |O

mnem
The bar can ALWAYS go lower. ::)

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1093 on: July 10, 2020, 05:00:22 pm »
Yeah, that extrusion just plain blows goats. Literally not fit for purpose, as it's supposed to be V-Groove OpenBuilds type extrusion.  :palm:

That is the same profile as Openbuilds 4040. Excepting the V-slot, it's also basically the same profile as 4040 from 8020 (could their name be any more annoying?).

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1094 on: July 10, 2020, 06:23:58 pm »
Didn't usedta be.  :-// 8020 was always Xed-out to the center; some series had a 5th screw hole. I remember the walls being thicker too...? I guess, like everything else; a victim of the race to the bottom...  ::)

Still no excuse for that V-Groove being made that way; whether poor QC or just plain poor design it simply isn't fit for purpose.  :-//  I suppose post-extrusion processing could restore the correct geometry to that profile, but I wouldn't want to have to be the guy who manages that QC process; it would be an exercise in misery.  |O

mnem
Like beating your knee with a monkey wrench cuz it feels so good when you stop... :o
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 06:26:19 pm by mnementh »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #1095 on: July 10, 2020, 07:31:55 pm »
Didn't usedta be.  :-// 8020 was always Xed-out to the center; some series had a 5th screw hole. I remember the walls being thicker too...? I guess, like everything else; a victim of the race to the bottom...  ::)

Still no excuse for that V-Groove being made that way; whether poor QC or just plain poor design it simply isn't fit for purpose.  :-//  I suppose post-extrusion processing could restore the correct geometry to that profile, but I wouldn't want to have to be the guy who manages that QC process; it would be an exercise in misery.  |O

mnem
Like beating your knee with a monkey wrench cuz it feels so good when you stop... :o
I trawled through a pile of images of 8020 and I couldn't find a single example of a dual V-slot stock with a core. The quality of the 8020 doesn't seem to be the issue here. :P

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1096 on: July 11, 2020, 01:44:10 pm »

That is the same profile as Openbuilds 4040. Excepting the V-slot, it's also basically the same profile as 4040 from 8020 (could their name be any more annoying?).      

Hmmm... looking closer over my morning cuppa... I wonder if the sharper corners and that groove down the spine of the OpenBuilds 40x40edited is more than just rendering turd-polish. Have you actually seen any genuine OpenBuilds 40x40edited extrusion firsthand? Does it have that groove? Might be evidence of more sophisticated extrusion process or possibly post-processing to prevent this phenomenon.

Looking at this pic of their 80x20, I don't see those grooves; I suspect that profile isn't as susceptible to this issue.  I know genuine 8020 does not do that for sure; at least none of the stuff I ever worked with. It was designed to be assembled with end-joints.

Hey... dooya think maybe that was the real reason for this recent innovation in the extrusion being used on the cheapies like mine, that has one side flat? Maybe that was their answer to having one side properly flat for assembly, rather than for appearance as it was marketed on mine. 

As for the name... 8020 did kindof invent the market... it's not their fault the copycats were lazy in their naming conventions.  :-//

mnem
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 05:21:42 pm by mnementh »

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1097 on: July 11, 2020, 04:25:08 pm »
Hmmm... looking closer over my morning cuppa... I wonder if the sharper corners and that groove down the spine of the OpenBuilds is more than just rendering turd-polish. Have you actually seen any genuine OpenBuilds extrusion firsthand? Does it have that groove? Might be evidence of more sophisticated extrusion process or possibly post-processing to prevent this phenomenon.

The stuff I measured is Openbuilds. No, it doesn't have a groove on the wide face, only inside the slots.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1098 on: July 11, 2020, 05:18:34 pm »
Well, you said from a reputable supplier; I didn't know if that meant it was sourced from OpenBuilds.  :-// Oh wait, I see; you said 4020, which again, doesn't have that huge empty void in the core region like the 40x40.  I should have been more specific about the 40x40 size, which does appear to be problematic here.    I'm guessing what you have looks similar in profile to the 80x20 I show above?

mnem
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 05:23:40 pm by mnementh »

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1099 on: July 11, 2020, 08:08:27 pm »
What I have is 2040, and shows exactly the same issues.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf