Author Topic: 3D Printer yet?  (Read 325102 times)

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #1125 on: July 13, 2020, 06:41:19 pm »
But with realistic accelerations you're not likely to actually get to 50mm/s much anyway on a machine like this.

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #1126 on: July 13, 2020, 07:06:41 pm »
I reprinted the original at 40 mm/s and it looked the same

I then tried at 20 mm/s and it looked OK although I don't really want to print that slow, but it does mean my printer is OK

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1127 on: July 13, 2020, 08:13:05 pm »
You can print faster, but dial down the acceleration.
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #1128 on: July 13, 2020, 11:46:09 pm »
Is that the original bowden or have you put a direct drive extruder?

First thing I'd try is halving the max acceleration settings, to give more time to the extruder to do its thing better, properly, especially when approaching turns/corners and stops. As I've said before, the extruder (proper extrusion) is the most problematic / difficult thing to get right, IMHO.

Too low x/y stepper driver currents, and or too high acceleration, might also produce layer shifts.

Replaced original with This one

Urrrggghhh. Okay. I have one of that dual-drive extruder sitting in the back of a drawer. Multiple reasons; first was I didn't feel like ducking around with my e-steps yet (the drive cog is smaller, meaning extrusion def needs to be recal'd) but another was QC. I meant to do a teardown on it and show resolution, but so far I haven't found a solution I don't feel squeamish about sharing. 

On mine, they cheaped-out on the screw for the driven cog; it's supposed to have a 3mm ground-finish shoulder bolt to provide a proper bearing surface for the needle bearing in the cog. Instead, they just used a cheap m3 screw, with the bearing riding right on the exposed threads.  :palm: This results in the cog not engaging the drive cog properly due to slop from a 3mm nominal bearing on a "shaft" of approx 2.6mm diameter. With threads cut in it.  :scared:

But worse, the way they had it assembled, the knurled drive groove did not align with the filament channel, it rode half a hole low.  |O These are in principle simple fitment issues that can be resolved with a trip to any hardware store with a decent assortment of metric hardware... But COVID.  ::)

There was a point I was getting with all this... oh yeah.  :P If you're having any issues that MIGHT be extrusion/retraction related, take that thing apart and look for the faults I've described. I'm sure my vendor wasn't the only one who played fast & loose with the BOM.  :palm:

mnem
 :bullshit:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 03:25:23 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #1129 on: July 14, 2020, 01:52:39 pm »
As I have until 31st July to return my Ender Pro to Amazon, I'm seriously thinking about returning it as faulty and getting another one.

Someone on Crealities facebook has the same problem as I've got and he says

"I have the same issue also... Frustrates the hell out of me. Have to take it apart again as my previous fixes with aluminium tape (layers of it between extrucions) has given up. 🤔 Had huge deviations when i had tighten all up. I do the check regularly as it has given me problems with Z-gantry and causes a lot of problems"

Sure I could use steel shims or file/grind the v extrusion, but I shouldn't have to.

But when I've had the printer 58 days and out of that 58 days, so far I've only managed to print a few temp towers, various layer tests  (most of those I had problems with) , a small armadillo and a small smurf, and when others say their Ender 3 is flat hence self aligns properly, I kind of feel like I've got a dud.

I have a feeling that my current printer is going to become an ongoing nightmare, decisions decisions

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #1130 on: July 14, 2020, 02:25:52 pm »
Sounds good to me. Start fresh and clean isn't a bad idea,  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: HobGoblyn

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #1131 on: July 14, 2020, 04:14:59 pm »
Well while eating my lunch, I watched a YouTube vid of a guy assembling the V2 version of the Ender.  He had a download to a bed level setup program that goes around all 4 points (and centre) 4 times, with about a 6 sec pause between each point.

So I thought I'd just check how level my bed is, then use the BLTouch.

First time around, all 4 corners were very tight, had to be loosened quite a bit, second time around they needed a tweak but just gripped the paper, 3rd time round it was near perfect, 4th time around all 4 were as though the nozzle wasn't anywhere near the paper/bed.

I ran it again and all 4 were too tight (didn't adjust them when they were loose on the previous run).

That was it for me, boxed up, dropped off at Amazon pick up point :)  Usually I get the refunds within a few hours (don't return a lot though), if I get it in the next couple of hours can probably get a replacement here by tomorrow :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 04:19:33 pm by HobGoblyn »

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1132 on: July 14, 2020, 04:21:50 pm »
You got a lemon...
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #1133 on: July 14, 2020, 06:49:17 pm »
Now I'm thinking, do I go for another Ender pro or something else  :-DD

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1134 on: July 14, 2020, 07:10:02 pm »

Staying out of this one.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1135 on: July 14, 2020, 07:59:35 pm »
As I have until 31st July to return my Ender Pro to Amazon, I'm seriously thinking about returning it as faulty and getting another one.

Someone on Crealities facebook has the same problem as I've got and he says

"I have the same issue also... Frustrates the hell out of me. Have to take it apart again as my previous fixes with aluminium tape (layers of it between extrucions) has given up. 🤔 Had huge deviations when i had tighten all up. I do the check regularly as it has given me problems with Z-gantry and causes a lot of problems"

Sure I could use steel shims or file/grind the v extrusion, but I shouldn't have to.

But when I've had the printer 58 days and out of that 58 days, so far I've only managed to print a few temp towers, various layer tests  (most of those I had problems with) , a small armadillo and a small smurf, and when others say their Ender 3 is flat hence self aligns properly, I kind of feel like I've got a dud.

I have a feeling that my current printer is going to become an ongoing nightmare, decisions decisions

I had no idea you still had the warranty option. By all means, USE IT!

I'm ALL ABOUT the path of least resistance when it comes to my hobbies; they're supposed to be FUN, not a fukkin' ordeal.  :palm:

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1136 on: July 14, 2020, 08:04:28 pm »
Staying out of this one.  :-DD

mnem

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #1137 on: July 14, 2020, 09:28:27 pm »
Hehe, the cr6 se looks nice, but I can’t preorder until august and creality are currently listing the preorder price at $999

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1138 on: July 14, 2020, 10:18:29 pm »
re: CR-6 SE

XY-axis positioning precision: +/- 0.01
:o

Is there any proof or this just a number from somebody head?

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1139 on: July 14, 2020, 10:32:04 pm »

Inches...? :-)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 10:48:41 pm by GeorgeOfTheJungle »

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1140 on: July 14, 2020, 10:37:36 pm »
re: CR-6 SE

1.8° stepper, 16 microsteps, 16-tooth drive gear, 2mm belt pitch. Repeatability is another matter.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1141 on: July 15, 2020, 05:01:15 am »
Hehe, the cr6 se looks nice, but I can’t preorder until august and creality are currently listing the preorder price at $999

Naaah, that's what the giant edition CR6-MAX is supposed to cost; we were offered it for $699 during the Kickstarter. I got mine at $319 for like 28% off MSRP, according to the Kickstarter. The regular CR6-SE is supposed to list at ~US$409-419, depending on whether they make the optical Z-sensor part of the base model.

*Goes and looks* Holy fucking asscrackers! They sure are making you pay a premium to pre-order anytime this year, aren't they? Guess they have some deals brewing with their usual distributors.  :palm: Maybe they're putting up that price on the site to scare you off until August so their distributor deals don't go sour...  :-//

mnem
Inscrutible muthaf****s...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1142 on: July 15, 2020, 05:29:58 am »
The Kickstarter Stretch Goals that were unlocked are: 32-bit board w/TMC2209 steppers, 10x spare 0.40 nozzle and spare PTFE bowden tube. I'd sure have preferred Cap tube, given they exceeded goal by 3800%, but eh... whatcha gonna do?  :-//

Now they're saying the first batch is ready to ship out... which is nice, I suppose. But it appears they've gone brain-dead on the logistics, and are fucking with the promised delivery dates to secure cheaper shipping in bulk. Never mind that we already PAID for courier shipping up front.  |O

If you're ready for some drama, scope this shit out: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1001939425/creality-cr-6-se-leveling-free-diy-3d-printer-kit/posts/2892905

I recommend you avoid their FB page; I'm sure it has gone Godwin's Law thermal at least a dozen times by now.  :palm:

Well, it looks likely that my unit won't even built by the end of August as promised... so at least I won't have to worry about packing it or where they're sending it as I have to move by the end of August.

mnem
"Hold onto your butts!"

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #1143 on: July 15, 2020, 01:14:44 pm »
Watched a ton of youtube vids etc, came to the conclusion I might as well get another Ender 3 Pro :)

While I like the box frame of the Ender 5, I don't like that the entire bed appears to be suspended from just one side.

The CR 10 mini is another contender but Amazon UK hasn't got any.

The bigger CR10S,  I don't think I will need that size build plate, hence will waste time waiting for the larger bed to heat up.

As I have the TFT V3 and SKR mini V2 from Bigtreetec, two different metal extruders and Capricorn tubing, it's not worth me getting the Ender 3 V2  (and my screen wont fit), I am tempted to buy the extra Z axis kit if I go for the Ender 3 Pro again.   

Then again the CR10S already has the extra Z axis and both my screen and board will fit. Can buy an open box CR10 V2 for exactly the same price I paid for my Ender 3 pro

I hate it when I feel like this, I want to order now for delivery tomorrow, but I can't make up my mind which route to go :)

And I hate it when people leave 1 or 2 stars on Amazon but give no reason why
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 01:30:41 pm by HobGoblyn »

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1144 on: July 15, 2020, 02:03:08 pm »
My son has an Ender 5 and your concerns about the cantilever base is well founded.  Its resonant frequency is often excited by bed movement, spoiling prints.  No solution in hand.

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #1145 on: July 15, 2020, 02:54:49 pm »
There were two CR10 V2 available an hour ago, one has already gone,  I succumbed to temptation and got the other one :)  Cost me £15 more than the Ender 3 refund, couldn't resist
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 02:56:29 pm by HobGoblyn »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1146 on: July 15, 2020, 10:46:26 pm »
Mystery print in progress ...  :popcorn:

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1147 on: July 15, 2020, 11:07:19 pm »
There were two CR10 V2 available an hour ago, one has already gone,  I succumbed to temptation and got the other one :)  Cost me £15 more than the Ender 3 refund, couldn't resist

So now the question is, what are you getting yourself into with an open box one? :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, HobGoblyn

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1148 on: July 16, 2020, 04:35:44 am »
Yeah... let's hope NOT one that was returned for the same assache you just put to rest.  :palm:

mnem
If you're going to risk assache, at least try to make it a new assache.

Offline Flump

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1149 on: July 16, 2020, 07:42:32 am »
Had my Ender3 now for a couple of years I use it quite a bit for making custom parts for RC Cars.
Printing 10x face shields for a local Chemist/Pharmacy shop as I type this.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf