Author Topic: 3D Printer yet?  (Read 325058 times)

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #1300 on: August 30, 2020, 02:26:55 pm »
OK mnem, roger that.

Murphy got me with the extruder, no worries the battle is not over yet. Anyway we are talking about few bucks of stuff.
Just checked the creality website and guess what the red one is no more available...

So far:
Extruder Red Murphy version - DONE
Capricon pipes - DONE (if the dragon says not cut, do not do it)
Silent Board - DONE

attacking the glass bed upgrade now.

Meanwhile TH3D or Marllin FW on the Ender 5?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 04:13:56 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1301 on: August 30, 2020, 03:26:06 pm »
More Ender experiences.

If was very difficoult to put the PLA filament inside the extruder and into the capricorn pipe.
Very difficoult.
I had to release the extruder with one hand, with the second hand push up the filament and with the third hand move the PLA with a little screwdriver until it went into the little hole on the top.
Once this was done eh eh now the filament was catching everywhere, into the black thing, into the capricorn pipe start edge... you name it.

I HAD to disconnect the pipe and push up the filament without the pipe... then insert the filament in the disconnected pipe and then reconnect the pipe.

There is so many improvements to be implemented in that extruder in my eyes.

OR I am not seeing the giant pink elephant in the room.  :-//

Learning learning learning

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1302 on: August 30, 2020, 04:13:40 pm »

Here
, I go with Marlin!

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1303 on: August 30, 2020, 04:23:46 pm »
Yet another reason to avoid the red ones and seek out the silver CReality-branded one. :P

For the records there is also a red one with a pneu fitting out there.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #1304 on: August 30, 2020, 05:57:38 pm »
Yup, that one looks exactly like the cheapo 3rd-party (I think...?) red one I bought and sent back.

Sounds to me like you may have an alignment problem on the lever. The grooved idle roller and/or the inlet hole on the lever may not be aligning properly with the hole in the base plate where the filament ejects out to the Bowden tube.

Take the base plate off the stepper, reassemble the lever and pivot screw held together by hand with the stepper & pinion out of the way, then eyeball the two holes vs the groove in the idler wheel. If the holes line up but not the idler, figure out where to shim so the groove in the idler wheel aligns. If the hole in the lever doesn't align with the hole in the baseplate, shim it first, then the idler wheel if needed.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/3d-printer-yet/msg3067762/?topicseen#msg3067762

[EDIT] Or maybe the baseplate has a recess where the Bowden tube is supposed to go to seat against like my silver one above, and you didn't get the Cap tubing in that.

Also, the cap tubing has a smaller ID than the cheap stuff (this is a good thing); a lot of the 3DP gurus recommend to cut the filament diagonally so it makes a point to aid in feeding the filament into the Cap tubing. I've never bothered, but maybe I got lucky with extra-good fit once I shimmed everything correctly on my silver extruder.
:-//

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 08:45:22 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1305 on: August 31, 2020, 07:00:06 am »
   Or, you can look into one of the CNC clone BMG ones: I've drooled over them, but I cannot speak to their quality: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33013818755.html

mnem

Hey mnem, what are they? Two extruders: one for the nozzle and one to pull PLA from the spool?
Confiuseeeed.

EDIT: This is sexy:
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000101493689.html
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 07:03:18 am by Zucca »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1306 on: August 31, 2020, 12:58:08 pm »
It's a clone of the BMG extruder; does the same thing your red one does only is gear-driven and has meshing pinions to drive the filament from both sides instead of one pinion and one idler.

There are two versions; one made to fit on the left side of the X-axis beam and one for the right. It matters so they load the filament from the right direction and so you can operate the lever without major contortionist action.

The reason I linked those is because instead of being glas-filled polymer plastic like the original from BMG, they're nice sexy CNC aluminum... plus about 1/2-1/3 the price.

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #1307 on: August 31, 2020, 03:23:37 pm »
Yet another reason to avoid the red ones and seek out the silver CReality-branded one. :P

(Attachment Link)

There's also this one which while it is red  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07SY745CF/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I ended up replacing my Silver Creality one for it, as it's dual gear.

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #1308 on: August 31, 2020, 03:26:07 pm »

Here
, I go with Marlin!

Hehe, it took me a while to get it right (with a lot of help from this thread), but once I got there, it's easy to modify/update

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #1309 on: August 31, 2020, 03:44:16 pm »
Hmm, well it seems like I'm going mad  :-DD

Was obviously way way too tired to try and slice the STL at 11pm last night.

Maybe, just maybe if I didn't have most of the support options set to 0 (eg support density),   it might have printed properly.

I watched the Cura preview vid print the first layer and sure enough, it was going over the same line time and time again.  I then realised my support settings were weirdly screwed, I altered them to sensible settings, also slowed initial speed down to 15 mm/s, tried the preview again (using tree supports which is what I initially wanted) and this time I could see what it was meant to do.

Attached two first layer pics, one before I changed the support settings, one after, quite a bit of difference :)

Any ideas what causes the pitting in this?  there's no pitting at all in the other 4 parts (that didn't need support), It's on the entire front left hand side until it gets to the top bit where it's just over 2cm wide.  Sorry for the stupid angle of the photo, I would take it again but have sanded it down, so also attached cura pic.  To me it sort of looks like the nozzles been digging into it as the pitting is very even, but I would have thought if the nozzle did that, the damage would be much worse?

Many thanks

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1310 on: August 31, 2020, 04:22:22 pm »
There are two versions; one made to fit on the left side of the X-axis beam and one for the right. It matters so they load the filament from the right direction and so you can operate the lever without major contortionist action.

Actually it's so you can fit two side by side for dual extrusion.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1311 on: August 31, 2020, 04:25:54 pm »
K. The pics I saw showed them left & right sides of the X-axis beam for dual extrusion.  :-//

mnem

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1312 on: August 31, 2020, 04:38:56 pm »
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you meant. The mirroring is so you can mount the motor on the desired side or both sides for dual extrusion. They actually make a proper dual extrusion unit, though:

Haven't seen a clone of that yet. Alu does make sense if you're going to hang the hotend off it. If the hotend is mounted separately it's wasted mass outside of a heated enclosure.

Quality of gears and bearings is a real question with the clones, however, you can always just put real ones in when (not if) they go bad, and they're certainly better than the stupid design Creality (and everyone else) keeps rehashing.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1313 on: August 31, 2020, 04:49:22 pm »
Ooohh... shiny...  :o

No, never saw that before. IIRC, what I saw when I was looking into them was pics of them configured as Bowden extruder and mounted just like the CReality goober-drive on either side of the X-axis beam or both for dual extrusion.  :-//

mnem

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1314 on: August 31, 2020, 04:50:17 pm »

There's also this one which while it is red  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07SY745CF/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I ended up replacing my Silver Creality one for it, as it's dual gear.

Before we go into all the permutations of the red extruders... I did specify the cheapo red single-pinion extruders in my original rant, as I already had one of the dual-pinion extruders in my parts bin. ;)

Still haven't got it installed; issues with crap hardware that was included on my particular vendor's version of the thing. How can it not be screaming obvious that you don't run a needle bearing directly on screw threads?   :palm:

That, and the single-pinion silver one is working well, and I've already modded it to accept the filament sensor.  :P

mnem
 :-/O

The following users thanked this post: HobGoblyn

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1315 on: August 31, 2020, 04:58:05 pm »
Ooohh... shiny...  :o

No, never saw that before. IIRC, what I saw when I was looking into them was pics of them configured as Bowden extruder and mounted just like the CReality goober-drive on either side of the X-axis beam or both for dual extrusion.

Oh, right, well that's another application. They're intended for direct drive as any proper extruder should be.

There's also a (clone) version which isn't geared down which is a good compact option for bowden usage (but yes, plastic, which isn't really important in a remote drive): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32904209624.html

The little self-tappers are a bit concerning, I think those hold the filament guides in rather than relying just on the case. And it does use the little plastic collets, but if they're well dimensioned those should hold just fine (that's all you get on top of a real E3D heatsink, for example).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 05:01:39 pm by Monkeh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1316 on: August 31, 2020, 06:35:07 pm »
I imagine I could just make threads for the pneu fitting with a 1/8" pipe tap. 

I usually prefer CNC when it can be had for appearance, and the fact it usually tolerates more abuse in terms of hand-modding than plastic. I understand that weight is a very important consideration with DD.

Agreed on the quality of parts in the clones; same kind of BS as the dual-pinion one I was just grousing aboot. Anything to save a penny/100.  |O

E3D... mhmmmm... my opinion of their engineering is not nearly as high as theirs, I'm afraid. ;)

mnem
>:D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 06:39:53 pm by mnementh »

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1317 on: September 01, 2020, 09:45:25 pm »
FUUU this 3D printing is like fishing, if you don't have 1000 of toys to play with there is no fun.

Just got this...
I just understood what does it mean the ender5 bed falling plague.

Next:
- Sanguino installed
- generate .hex
- flash Marlin to silent board

try to print something...

then octo raspi...

It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 09:52:20 pm by Zucca »

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #1318 on: September 01, 2020, 11:45:30 pm »
Next:
- Sanguino installed
- generate .hex
- flash Marlin to silent board

try to print something...

then octo raspi...

Oh is that all? Shouldn't take you more than a few hours ...  :popcorn:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1319 on: September 02, 2020, 12:47:41 am »
I've got a half-dozen of those lying around in storage down in Dumbfuckistan (YES, 2mm pitch) in various lengths from my Tornado & Tarantula daze. Dual-Z mods, yumm.

mnem

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1320 on: September 02, 2020, 07:04:04 am »

Right now I am comparing the .h config files for ender 5 I find on the www to understand why the are different and what is the best for me.

Dual-Z mods, yumm.

Yesterday I tought to go slow and upgrade to dual z later, today after reading your yumm I bought a second one.  :horse:
oh yes! YES! We love 2mm pitch.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1321 on: September 02, 2020, 10:51:38 am »

Right now I am comparing the .h config files for ender 5 I find on the www to understand why the are different and what is the best for me.

What? Analyzing the situation, comparing files, and commenting/uncommenting or changing parameters as required to make your machine operate correctly???

I'm not sure what people are going to think of you from this point forward Zucca.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1322 on: September 02, 2020, 11:06:55 am »
I'm not sure what people are going to think of you from this point forward Zucca.  :-DD
For sure we all now know what you think about me.
Hey, I am learning and ready take fishes splaps in my face. No worries, they don't hurt too much.
For example I discovered the 800 vs 400 steps difference in the z axis, between ender 5 and ender 5 pro.
Useful information for me, which convinced me to go for the z axis screw upgrade (which will have 1600 at the end with 2mm pitch)

:-//
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 11:12:18 am by Zucca »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1323 on: September 02, 2020, 11:17:56 am »
For sure we all now know what you think about me.
Hey, I am learning and ready take fishes splaps in my face. No worries, they don't hurt too much.
For example I discovered the 800 vs 400 steps difference in the z axis, between ender 5 and ender 5 pro.
Useful information for me, which convinced me to go for the z axis screw upgrade (which will have 1600 at the end with 2mm pitch)

Aw we love you!  :-*

Sometimes the changes they make pop-up a lot of differences like from the configuration.h from 2.0.6 they defined speed like this

// (mm/m) Speed for travel before last distance point

and in 2.0.6.1 all the same sort of comments using mm/m were changed to

//(mm/min) Speed for travel before last distance point

No, it does not affect the compilation (you could leave them unchanged) but it pops up a lot of differences that you end up looking at. I use a plug-in for notepad++ to do the compare - my functioning configuration file against the new file.

They also added a lot of additional comments this time. Other than that the new configuration file just needed top have parameters that I use changed in the new file. It takes a little while to go through it but it ain't too bad.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1324 on: September 02, 2020, 04:25:10 pm »

A profound, professional, 3 hour investigation. On the 1th of September.

:palm:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, HobGoblyn

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf