Author Topic: 3D Printer yet?  (Read 325085 times)

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #1325 on: September 02, 2020, 07:11:06 pm »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #1326 on: September 03, 2020, 12:51:56 am »
So I'm sitting here in the living room with a bourbon & coke, a cat on my lap, and watching a baseball game. All is great.

My print in the other room has finished (printing scale models of shipping crates for my model RR). The camera shows it's done (the models are shifted to the right out of view). I want to print more - but I can't because I have to go in there and remove what is on the bed first.

WANT:

Auto-bed scrape-clean so I don't have to get up!  :scared:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1327 on: September 03, 2020, 01:31:20 am »
Get a belt printer!

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #1328 on: September 03, 2020, 02:20:36 am »

mnem
*not at all tempted*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1329 on: September 03, 2020, 02:30:49 am »
A profound, professional, 3 hour investigation. On the 1th of September.      :palm:

Yeah, well... one benefit of it taking 6 months to get to me: By the time I have it in my scaly little paws, we'll have discovered all the ways it can burn your house down and I'll have a BOM all ready...   :palm:

mnem
on its way to me right now:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 02:33:49 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #1330 on: September 05, 2020, 02:18:05 pm »
Fortunately(!?) or unfortunately, this New World of 3D printing, is escalating RAPIDLY!
It's the old adage of "when should I buy it" etc. They've now been around for a few years, to say the least, but have vastly changed
in regards to the Technology/Type/Speed. Should I buy some relatively cheap (years ago) $1000 unit, now going for say $200 ??

I'm reminded of Trash & Treasure Boot-Sales years ago, where some ill-informed seller wants $500 - $1000 for an old IBM PC, when
it is only worth $10 now, (if that!), just because their system cost them then $3000 or some such rubbish back then!  8)
Not to mention that 'Technology' has changed/improved massively since the 1st advent of such '3D Printers'. Now the push is towards the
Carbon M1/M2 style, where there is NO reels of 'plastic', but a machine 'pulling out' a creation from a viscous liquid bath, with no heating,
being formed from a specialized light projection underneath, (and Oxygen as an extremely thin stripping layer), with incredible resolution!!

Where does it end???  Obviously it doesn't!!! We are a LONG way from the imaginary 'Star Trek' where they order the ships computer to
create a food dish or glass of 'Scotch' in a matter of seconds in a replicator!!  Then again, my Grandfather actually thought that 'Fax' m/s
were a lie, to trick people!!   ;D   We gave up trying to explain how it works!!   :o

Let's face it... what we buy 'today' will be antiquated junk in another 5 to 10 years, so do not think of it as an 'investment'.
However, all of life is like that now, but it is now on an ascentotic curve...
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Online HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #1331 on: September 05, 2020, 04:09:27 pm »
Fortunately(!?) or unfortunately, this New World of 3D printing, is escalating RAPIDLY!........

True, but if we always wait for the latest and greatest, we would be waiting forever

I play (sort of) piano and synths.   What was groundbreaking in the digital piano world  20, 10 years ago is considered rubbish now. When someone comes onto a piano forum and says they can get this 10 year old digital piano for zyx, people point out that the low end of digital pianos currently out are far superior.  On the flip side, I have bought new and subsequently sold numerous 80's synths that are now worth a fortune.

Same with mobile/cell phones, PC's, Cameras etc etc etc

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1332 on: September 05, 2020, 09:11:40 pm »
Yeah, we have people printing details for cakes which used to require some artistic talent with a icing sock...  :o

mnem
But a decent, basic cream cheese icing, once the staple of names like Betty Crocker & Duncan Hines, is now a unicorn... |O

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1333 on: September 05, 2020, 09:15:42 pm »
Well ... the wheel still hasn't been improved.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1334 on: September 06, 2020, 01:50:12 am »
Well, no my point is the opposite; we now have technology that allows a novice pastry chef to print art that used to be the product of years and years of study and practice under the tutelage of masters... but something as simple as a decent cream cheese icing, which you used to be able to buy at any grocery store, is no longer available and must be made by hand.  :wtf:

The only thing you can buy in the grocer's is a dozen different variants of flavorless chocolate-flavored or evil bland butter creme.

Even real vanilla is a freaking rarity. |O

Everything is just poured into the flavorless sausage grinder of doom and we're supposed to be pleased with our soylent beige frosted soylent yellow cakes as if there never was any such thing as flavor.  :palm:

mnem
 :o
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 01:52:50 am by mnementh »

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #1335 on: September 06, 2020, 04:59:08 am »
Where does it end???  Obviously it doesn't!!! We are a LONG way from the imaginary 'Star Trek' where they order the ships computer to
create a food dish or glass of 'Scotch' in a matter of seconds in a replicator!!

In pretty much every episode of "ST:TNG," Picard asks the replicator for "Tea, Earl Gray, Hot" and a cup or mug or some other container of tea materializes. And he drinks his tea.

What happens to the cup or mug or other container? Do they get recycled? Does the swabbie come through his Ready Room after hours and clean up the mess?

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #1336 on: September 06, 2020, 06:21:32 am »
create a food dish or glass of 'Scotch' in a matter of seconds in a replicator!!

In pretty much every episode of "ST:TNG," Picard asks the replicator for "Tea, Earl Gray, Hot" and a cup or mug or some other container of tea materializes. And he drinks his tea.

What happens to the cup or mug or other container? Do they get recycled? Does the swabbie come through his Ready Room after hours and clean up the mess?

He throws it out the window.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: Bassman59

Offline MyHeadHz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1337 on: September 06, 2020, 04:54:41 pm »
My printer has an elephant's foot issue with most of my prints and I'm having a heck of a time getting rid of it.  Adjusting the printing speed helped a bit.

The very first layer prints perfectly, but after that everything seems to get too hot and the layers squish for about 10-15 layers.  The printer readout shows a sudden loss of print head temperature (from ~220 down to ~200), so I think it's trying to compensate.  The problem is that there was no actual temperature loss.  Over those 10-15 layers it gradually corrects itself.  Prints with thin walls are minimally affected, but flatter prints or prints with a lot of material on the first few layers are affected the most.

At first I thought it was feedback from the fan coming on too strong, but it happens even with the print cooling fan off or when it is set to a constant speed.  I suspect there is an obvious calibration or other setting that I have fat fingered at some point.  Any ideas?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1338 on: September 06, 2020, 05:25:42 pm »

https://all3dp.com/2/elephant-s-foot-3d-printing-problem-easy-fixes/

What's your bed temp? High bed temp was a big contributor to elephant's foot for me.

My first reaction is that you're running way hot (if you're printing PLA); my prints seem much more dimensionally accurate when I print between 195-205° with bed at ~50°, particularly with PLA+.

On my Diggro (E3 clone), I found I could all but eliminate elephant's foot without losing adhesion by preheating the bed to ~60°, not preheating the head, and printing as above. My Cura settings use a 2-4mm brim with a starting point of ~0.2mm or one line width from the print, and allowing any required supports to build on top of said brim if needed. The squish makes contact with the brim but it is just transparent-thin, and it pretty much falls off the print.

HTH!

mnem
As always, YMMV, DQMOT, IME, WTFBBQ? DILLIGAF...? :popcorn:

« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 05:27:21 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1339 on: September 06, 2020, 05:29:05 pm »

He throws it out the window.

I throw mine in the fireplace. >:D   Maybe you can ask the guys at FlashForge; they appear to have a wormhole to the ST universe.   :P

WARNING: Full-Frontal Nerdity Follows:

The transtator, the transformational discovery which is the foundation of almost all Federation technology, operates on the principle that there is no difference between matter and energy; both are simply different states of the same "thing", and all that is "lost" in the conversion between one state and the other is a small amount of energy, mostly that used for the required computation.  :-//

The show has numerous references to "matter reclamation units" or waste extraction systems or similar terms; usually represented as a chute or lidded chamber one placed unwanted materials into. One must assume this is how the matter of used replications was reintroduced into the energy/matter cycle. ???

Reading the above article, evidently the whole concept became a bit of a rabbit-hole story-wise, causing much confusion and debate among hardcore anal/OCD trekkie circles.  |O

TL/DR: Yeah... it's hard to believe this technology uses less energy than a dishwasher, FFS.  :palm:

mnem
Pssst... Replicator.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 05:39:21 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, GlennSprigg

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1340 on: September 07, 2020, 09:22:23 am »
So I finally got to compile the marlin Zuk version, but the stupid Arduino IDE is throwing stupid errors on stupid me.
After 5 min googling about those errors I will switch to VSCode and Platformio, anyway the Arduino IDE is more "TH3D than Marlin" so I will run away.

TO DO is now learn Platformio IDE, should not be hard.

Moreover I want to turn off the beep/buzzer in menu, it is driving me crazy and SWMBO wanted to throw my Ender out of the window yesterday for that.
I can't believe they have not already implemeted this. I will research and post back, I found a chirp() function which is promising in the last version of Marlin.

Ah, I adjusted the Z screw stop axis and installed the glass bed, any elegant suggestion (no paper clip, thing) on how to keep it in place?

The show must go on.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 09:23:59 am by Zucca »

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1341 on: September 07, 2020, 10:20:12 am »
Moreover I want to turn off the beep/buzzer in menu, it is driving me crazy and SWMBO wanted to throw my Ender out of the window yesterday for that.

Oh just wait - it's got a whole lot more to throw at you besides a beeper.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1342 on: September 07, 2020, 03:42:16 pm »
Oh yeah... E3 loves to sing while she works.  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1343 on: September 07, 2020, 03:49:07 pm »

Ah, I adjusted the Z screw stop axis and installed the glass bed, any elegant suggestion (no paper clip, thing) on how to keep it in place?

The show must go on.

I use tape.  Scotch Magic here in the US.  Just ordinary office paper mending tape.  It has no stretch so it keeps things down and not moving.  It is easy to remove when necessary.  And has survived bed temps to 60 C.  Ymmv if you run the bed hotter.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1344 on: September 07, 2020, 04:06:56 pm »
CR-6SE Misery continues:

After 2 weeks of sending multiple eMails to every customer support address and the KickStarter Support portal for the campaign, which is SUPPOSED to be a direct line to their support queue, I finally found the CReality Support Forum actually not "Error 502, Bad Gateway" and submitted a customer service request there.

Result? "Your post is awaiting moderation."

mnem
 |O

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1345 on: September 07, 2020, 04:15:15 pm »

The show must go on.

I use tape.  Scotch Magic here in the US.  Just ordinary office paper mending tape.  It has no stretch so it keeps things down and not moving.  It is easy to remove when necessary.  And has survived bed temps to 60 C.  Ymmv if you run the bed hotter.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000275674667.html

https://reprapltd.com/shop/frame-clips-swiss-clips/

If you Gurrgle swiss clips 3D printer you'll get oodles of hits with lots of different variants.

mnem
 :-+

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1346 on: September 07, 2020, 07:50:02 pm »
Code: [Select]
Linking .pio\build\melzi_optimized\firmware.elf
Checking size .pio\build\melzi_optimized\firmware.elf
Advanced Memory Usage is available via "PlatformIO Home > Project Inspect"
RAM:   [===       ]  28.4% (used 4653 bytes from 16384 bytes)
Flash: [==========]  98.5% (used 128118 bytes from 130048 bytes)
=================================================================== [SUCCESS] Took 31.26 seconds ===================================================================

Environment      Status    Duration
---------------  --------  ------------
melzi_optimized  SUCCESS   00:00:31.264
==================================================================== 1 succeeded in 00:00:31.264 ====================================================================

Sweet, with Mesh Bed Leveling active. I had to turn off ADVANCED_PAUSE_FEATURE, NOZZLE PARK PAUSE thing, ARC_SUPPORT.

Now will it flash?

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1347 on: September 07, 2020, 08:33:59 pm »
everything went well, I now have the last Marlin up.

The message "SD Init Fail" probably because there is no SD card inside.
Yes I have no chirp chirp as Menu feedback:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c18vd217fot3ew5/2020-09-07%2022.22.07.mp4

when I do auto home I got X220 Y220 Z0 on the status screen display, the 220s sometime are blinking. yes I have to RTFM.

Now the bad news....

:horse: :horse:

Murphy got me again, I pulled away the Laptop with too much joy, the connected USB Cable ripped of the micro USB port on the Ender.

will fix it, just a PITA! Stupid me.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 08:36:14 pm by Zucca »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1348 on: September 07, 2020, 11:24:52 pm »

Murphy got me again, I pulled away the Laptop with too much joy, the connected USB Cable ripped of the micro USB port on the Ender.

Treat your 3D printer well and it will return your kindness many times over.  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1349 on: September 08, 2020, 02:51:12 am »

Treat your 3D printer well and it will return your kindness many times over.  :-DD
Except when it's CReality on a KickStarter. Then, "caveat emptor" and "No good deed goes unpunished" appears to be the order of business.

That said, my post in the forum DID actually go up... no response from anyone at CReality tho.

mnem
 :-\

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf