Author Topic: 3D Printer yet?  (Read 324904 times)

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #1525 on: October 27, 2020, 07:55:03 pm »
New X/Y 0.9 stepperzz are here!

Now how to connect them to the ender5?

I was thinking to cut a JST-XH 4 pin 24AWG extension cable (5,50 Euro a pop  :scared:)

for Lipos and solder the two ends, one to the motor one to the E5.

Please tell me there is a better solution.

EDIT: Yes there is
JST SM 4pin, much better IMHO cheaper and with mechanical secure latch.

eBay auction: #123184607756

« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 08:09:17 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #1526 on: October 28, 2020, 03:21:39 am »

I'm having fun with mine too.  :P Tiny Toothless is 28mm tall.

Nice beast, one day I will go below 0.2mm Z layer too, but first I have to design custom plates for the dual Z upgrade on my E5.
Oh the 0.9 steppers are coming today, ohhhh another upgrade.

Thanks. Lots of Sharpie touchup, but he'll be a kewl custom token for Monopoly night.  ;D

I'll be honest... I didn't expect much after shrinking the model down to ~25% of original, then printing at that layer height. But the TMC2208 micro-steps evidently isn't all hooey even on a Single-Z, and if I'd remembered to turn ironing off would've been much better... that probably obliterated like the top 5 layers on his ears.  :palm:

mnem
 :=\
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 12:37:02 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #1527 on: October 28, 2020, 11:19:39 am »
Been playing with an interesting plug-in for Octoprint called Arc Welder, read more here  -

Arc Welder

"Arc Welder attempts to replace G0/G1 (linear move) GCodes with G2/G3 (arc move) GCodes. This can substantially compress many GCode files, and may reduce stuttering caused by sending many tiny movements in rapid succession over a slower serial connection. "

So far I've tested Arc Welder on several models and I can't detect any difference in their quality comparing prints before & after being processed, but the file has less commands and thus prints a little faster. I attached a screen shot of the Arc Welder processing report for one model I created for a project I'm working on - road transition between model railroad tracks.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: HobGoblyn

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1528 on: October 28, 2020, 12:38:35 pm »
 :-+

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1529 on: October 28, 2020, 12:47:24 pm »
Interesting but my spider senses are telling me that apart less gcode, as you said and touched with your hands, there will be no printing quality improvement.
...you still have a X and Y stepper not a new nozzle rotation stepper which is triggered by G2 G3.
stuttering? Go for dual Z or something mechanical. For mechanical sickness the best cure is always a mechanical therapy, not a SOFTware one.

Anyway related to that I deactivated G2/G3 Arc Support, it save memory on my tight ass melzi board and AFAIK no slicers SW support arc anyway.

Another intersting fact I read is that slicers eat only lines and points not arcs, so computing properly arc G-Code is a big PITA for the slicer software. I think on Firmware/Octoprint level is the same music.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1530 on: October 28, 2020, 12:59:44 pm »
Oh I didn't have any stuttering at all (my machine  :) ), I just wanted to test it for the file size compression. As long as the model comes out the same it's good for me.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 01:21:09 pm by xrunner »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1531 on: October 28, 2020, 01:13:53 pm »
How big is your mini train world multiple rooms or just one?

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1532 on: October 28, 2020, 01:22:57 pm »
How big is your mini train world multiple rooms or just one?

See pic (a slightly old picture).

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1533 on: October 28, 2020, 01:44:43 pm »

Currently abusing myself with Frustion360; working on a insert to organize all my favorite drivers in this little SS box. In theory they should all go; in practice...

mnem
"The Devil is in the details."
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 01:46:43 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #1534 on: October 28, 2020, 02:16:38 pm »
Added some signage which seemed appropriate.....

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, SilverSolder, mnementh, Nominal Animal

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1535 on: October 28, 2020, 02:22:39 pm »
Added some signage which seemed appropriate.....

LOL.

The wee people asked me "What's holding up their world?", and I told them "A turtle."

They asked "Well what holds up the turtle?"

I told them "Another turtle you nitwits!"

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1536 on: October 28, 2020, 04:20:36 pm »
You just made the most concise, incisive analogy for religion I've seen in at least a decade.  :-DD

mnem
Well done. :clap:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1537 on: October 28, 2020, 04:43:27 pm »

Currently printing at 20% infill and 0.28 LH. It's like watching firehose laid down after printing Tiny Toothless. :-DD

Still a 17 hour print.  :palm:

mnem
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 04:50:00 pm by mnementh »

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1538 on: October 28, 2020, 05:26:57 pm »
Currently printing at 20% infill and 0.28 LH. It's like watching firehose laid down after printing Tiny Toothless. :-DD

Still a 17 hour print.  :palm:

It looks like a menacing array of rocket launcher tubes.  :wtf:

All these road transitions were done in F360 as well as this last piece. But what I wanted to show is, sometimes the surface quality of 3D prints turns out to be useful in surprising ways.

I printed this one upside-down and had supports under the ramp (underneath the top slab it is cut out to save materials). I lightly sanded most of the part anyway so the surface would not be so smooth and so it would take paint better. Then I realized I had a cool effect that I didn't plan for, and exactly in the right place. It was caused by the print supports. I set out to sand it down more but realized I was looking at a desirable effect.

It looks just like those no-slip ridges put in concrete roads, and it ended up in the right place - the ramp! I stopped sanding that area because it looks perfect like that. I love these kind of surprises.  :clap:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Nominal Animal

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1540 on: October 29, 2020, 11:46:06 am »
Temped now to go for KDE and setup a little FreeBSD Octoprint laptop station for my E5, the old Lenovo Yoga I am using has touch screen it could be a winner.

Maybe one day.

EDIT: I am very lucky, just installed the 12.1  |O :-DD
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 11:58:16 am by Zucca »

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1541 on: October 29, 2020, 01:31:44 pm »
After seeing this video, I just updated my Marlin firmware (to version 1.1.9.1) to enable Mesh Bed Leveling.

Sure but, look at here

AUTO_BED_LEVELING_UBL (recommended) combines the features of 3-point, linear, bilinear, and mesh leveling. As with bilinear leveling, the mesh data generated by UBL is used to adjust Z height across the bed using bilinear interpolation. An LCD controller is currently required.
MESH_BED_LEVELING provides a custom G29 command to measure the bed height at several grid points using a piece of paper or feeler gauge. See G29 for MBL for the full procedure. This type of leveling is only compatible with PROBE_MANUALLY.

Moreover according to here, the auto bed leveling can be used also in manual mode by activating the PROBE_MANUALLY.

I think as soon I get home I will activate AUTO_BED_LEVELING_UBL with PROBE_MANUALLY

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1542 on: October 29, 2020, 03:07:44 pm »
Currently printing at 20% infill and 0.28 LH. It's like watching firehose laid down after printing Tiny Toothless.:-DD Still a 17 hour print.  :palm:

mnem

Ehhh.... A mixed bag. I had misgivings when I previewed it in Cura; I could see I'd been a bit too aggressive with the the middle row of holes, and Cura exaggerated the gaps in the slicing process. But I REALLY wanted to get more of my favorite drivers in there, so I decided to see how it would work out.

Overall it's quite serviceable; I did get the 8 jeweler's drivers and the 6 large ones I most needed in there. A couple of the holes drag a little when putting/pulling a driver, and the divider with the smallest cross-section snapped out first time I put a driver in. We'll see how it continues to serve; I may have to revisit the design and shrink most of the holes in the center area so that all the other slots are properly supported.

mnem
 :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1543 on: October 29, 2020, 04:05:51 pm »
Well done, now you should stick a little dragon on the side.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1544 on: October 29, 2020, 04:31:11 pm »
I think as soon I get home I will activate AUTO_BED_LEVELING_UBL with PROBE_MANUALLY

FUUU I do not have enough memory.....

EDIT: With Mesh Bed Leveling:

Code: [Select]
Linking .pio\build\melzi_optimized\firmware.elf
Building .pio\build\melzi_optimized\firmware.hex
Checking size .pio\build\melzi_optimized\firmware.elf
Advanced Memory Usage is available via "PlatformIO Home > Project Inspect"
RAM:   [==        ]  21.6% (used 3541 bytes from 16384 bytes)
Flash: [========= ]  88.2% (used 114682 bytes from 130048 bytes)
=============================================================================================================================================== [SUCCESS] Took 41.44 seconds ===============================================================================================================================================
Environment      Status    Duration
---------------  --------  ------------
melzi_optimized  SUCCESS   00:00:41.436

when I switch to AUTO_BED_LEVELING_UBL with PROBE_MANUALLY no go....  :-//  :o
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 04:51:29 pm by Zucca »

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #1545 on: October 29, 2020, 04:46:54 pm »

I see you've never stuck your hand awkwardly in the cutlery basket of a dishwasher and had a fork tine stuck deep under a fingernail.

I will never, ever store my tools pointy bits up or towards myself; my coordination means it only becomes a miniature impalement device.

The scalpels in particular make my old wounds ache.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1546 on: October 29, 2020, 05:14:29 pm »

I see you've never stuck your hand awkwardly in the cutlery basket of a dishwasher and had a fork tine stuck deep under a fingernail.

I will never, ever store my tools pointy bits up or towards myself; my coordination means it only becomes a miniature impalement device.

Easy to see what the tools are, when stored like that.  -  I have mine lying flat in a tray, as a compromise!

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1547 on: October 29, 2020, 05:45:31 pm »

when I switch to AUTO_BED_LEVELING_UBL with PROBE_MANUALLY no go....  :-//  :o

You'll have to comment out other features, suggestions on the internets ...

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1548 on: October 29, 2020, 10:44:02 pm »
I know but >12% memory for that feature, no thanks I keep my MESH and done.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #1549 on: October 29, 2020, 10:58:35 pm »

Easy to see what the tools are, when stored like that.  -  I have mine lying flat in a tray, as a compromise!
Sure; I can definitely see why having the bit end up is useful.  It is just my stabby-stabby sausage fingers that would impale themselves automagically.  (Although I have about a dozen visible scars on my hands, I still have all fingies and full mobility and no nerve damage.  Only by pure luck, though.)

That said, I do like having a simple thick shelf with holes, so you can drop the drivers from above through the hole, and see the pokey bit below the shelf.  For a desk holder, that'd make it shaped like a 9 or a c with a thicker top, though, and I don't know if it'd work as well.  The handles tend to weigh a bit, so a desk holder of that design would be terribly tippy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf