Author Topic: 3D Printer yet?  (Read 324929 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #1650 on: November 25, 2020, 12:19:27 am »
Yeah, especially with a single-Z machine like my Diggro, I can see a lot of potential for gremlin playtime if it never stops making those constant little adjustments. Leadscrew/nut/tire wear, acceleration of the x-axis settlement/leveling issues endemic to the design, and adding one more place for microstep errors to creep in.

I find myself thinking it's time to really test my mettle and load a plain vanilla version of Marlin on there; but my poor understanding of how the touchscreen interacts with it scares me.

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1651 on: November 25, 2020, 10:03:11 am »
but my poor understanding of how the touchscreen interacts with it scares me.

Was the same for me when I upgraded to this TFT touch, but 10 minutes later I was back on the horse with no fear.

Basically it has two mode:

- Marlin Emulation (over the ribbon cable)
- TFT Touch color wankery (over RS232)

The TFT mode is lke an octoprint conneted to the main board over serial.
Good reading here.

I am wondering now if all 3DP touchscreen has a Marlin emulation mode....

If I want I have full access to the FW of the touch screen on GIthub, which is very nice to tune stuff.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 12:45:21 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #1652 on: November 25, 2020, 02:56:24 pm »

Was the same for me when I upgraded to this TFT touch, but 10 minutes later I was back on the horse with no fear.

Keep encouraging him Zucca. I'll do so as well - between you and me we can get him to brick his machine real good.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1653 on: November 25, 2020, 04:58:30 pm »
After 3 days of pain I was able to make Octoprint powering off the FreeBSD box and make the firmware upgrade by the plugin...
It was a wonderful learning experience.

On other news I just tried the AUTO_BED_LEVELING_BILINEAR 4x4 with PROBE_MANUALY everything went well!
Now I have to print something and I let you know....

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1654 on: November 25, 2020, 05:57:35 pm »
Keep encouraging him Zucca. I'll do so as well - between you and me we can get him to brick his machine real good.  :-DD

ppppppppttttttpppplllbbbbbbbbbbb!   

No, the TS on my Diggro doesn't have a 128x64 emulation mode; no encoder. Sometimes I wish it did. It uses the same dwin D5 ARM-processor-based touchscreen as the Wanhao D9 discussed here: https://bleughbleugh.wordpress.com/2018/07/10/wanhao-duplicator-9-d9-technical-stuff/ and here: https://bleughbleugh.wordpress.com/2018/07/11/wanhao-duplicator-9-d9-technical-stuff-part-deux-the-lcd-part-number/

TL/DR: The TS is a little proprietary-processor ARM PC (with its own FW and menu/image library) that communicates with the 3DP controller via serial. There is also a connector on the Diggro MB that I think supports a standard 128x64 UI panel per RAMPS 1.xx pinout.

I toyed with the idea of building one of the alternate UI boards that uses a cheap encoder and a cheap OLED display; I put it off figuring someday soon I'll have access to my bin of old RAMPS 1.2 bits & pieces. Maybe I'll buy a standard 128x64 UI panel next time I shop 3DP parts; they're cheap. :-//

mnem
*punt*

« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 06:26:53 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1655 on: November 26, 2020, 01:46:30 pm »
My printer never had an anti-bnacklash nut for the Z axis. Now it does. When the lead screw was still disconnected from the motor I can definitely tell a difference.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1656 on: November 26, 2020, 02:01:12 pm »
xrunner, I was just on the phone with Santa.
I told him about your new post and guess what, since you were a good boy this year he will sent you a 2mm pitch Z screw with brass anti-bnacklash.
He just need to stop first in china to grab one, then he will drop one at your home.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1657 on: November 27, 2020, 03:54:53 am »
My printer never had an anti-bnacklash nut for the Z axis. Now it does. When the lead screw was still disconnected from the motor I can definitely tell a difference.

Ayup. One of those things I install during the initial build.  :-+ Along with a rigid/semi-rigid coupler on the Z-axis, or my "5/16 inch ball bearing mod".

But uhhhh... the lash & spring are supposed to be on the unloaded side, not the load-bearing side.

mnem
*toddles off to ded*
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 04:07:28 am by mnementh »

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1658 on: November 27, 2020, 09:27:51 am »
But uhhhh... the lash & spring are supposed to be on the unloaded side, not the load-bearing side.

So you are saying the hotbed weight should not compress but release compression on the anti-bnacklash coil spring? Or it is just related to that 3DP model?

rigid/semi-rigid coupler

picture? Thanks
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 10:56:21 am by Zucca »

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1659 on: November 27, 2020, 12:39:41 pm »

So you are saying the hotbed weight should not compress but release compression on the anti-bnacklash coil spring? Or it is just related to that 3DP model?

LOL here we go folks!  :-DD I'm sure we can argue this for several pages, it's an EEBBlog feature!

I see plenty of examples of it mounted either way. I find no explanation of which way it "should" go. I really don't think it is going to make much of a difference anyway, because I see no difference in the quality of the prints I'm making after I installed it (which is the same way as many other knowledgeable people have installed it) for example -

If it was reversed, the threads are going to push hard on the first section of it which is the one screwed down, so where is any backlash going to come into play? The second section of the coupler won't even do anything on the way up. It's simply going to screw the platform up, up, up until it's done and backlash is not even an influence. There is no backlash because it's not going "back". Now if the X or Y axis used screws then yea it would be a good part ...

It's more suited for a side-to-side sort of mechanism anyway. So I don't see any reason to mount it differently. In fact, I really don't see much use for it now at all.  :-\ However, if the machine is off, it does help keep the platform from slipping down making it easier to work on.  :P

I think now it's "Hey lets design and sell an anti-backlash nut for 3D printers because they don't come with one!" sort of thing. But go ahead and 'splain why all the examples I see on the internet (even by sellers) mounting it this way are in error ...  :popcorn:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1660 on: November 27, 2020, 05:44:07 pm »
This has to do with people who have no experience building with linear actuators designing and building things with linear actuators. Like the rubber motor mounting plates, they make assumptions as to how they're meant to be used. ;)

I spent close to a decade working in semi-automated manufacturing related to welded product mass-production... building welding/drilling/machining jigs and parts placing/moving linear actuators was a big part of that work, as was building with 8020 extrusion. Not all of it used this bronze-nut rubbish; much of it required recirculating ball leadscrews like the one above. But for applications where space did not permit, or dusty/dirty environments, or high precision in both directions of travel wasn't necessary, bronze nuts/leads did get used. 

I learned quite a bit in that apprenticeship... some of it translates directly to 3DP; however not nearly as much as I'd originally taken for granted when I got into this hobby.
:-[

But yeah... that is a pretty fundamental design principle for these things. The lash goes on the unloaded side.

Picture your printer stock, with no spring & lash on the nut. The weight of the X-axis carriage presses down on the nut pretty much all the time. Most of the time, that constant downward force is all that is needed to get relatively consistent results. Force from the leadscrew is applied upward. You want the force of the spring under the lash to be always pressing in the opposite direction to that of the applied force from the lead; in other words, if the lead is pressing upwards, the base of the spring needs to be pressing downwards.

All the lash & spring are supposed to do in this case is resist any tendency to push back in the wrong direction (unless your actuator needs to be able to apply force against a workload in both directions; then the preload of the spring under the lash needs to be greater than the maximum applied force in either direction) and to prevent bounce.

If we designed this with a proper bidirectional anti-backlash (the spring applying greater force than any anticipated loading in either direction) it wouldn't matter. But that would require a much stronger motor to overcome the drag of such an arrangement, and wear would be greater, so larger leadscrews, nuts, motor control electronics...  |O

So, in this case, we design so it works with the prevailing preload of gravity instead of against it, and the lash & spring go on the unloaded side.

People who don't know any better design printers with the nut on the Z-axis lead going either way, and if using a standard nut it doesn't matter. They don't take into account that someone might want to put a proper anti-lash nut on there. That is when you run into these problems.

Another design consideration that gets completely ignored is proper thrust loading geometry. Steppers are not meant to handle ANY thrust loading; they are supposed to only provide torque. A properly designed actuator has a leadscrew which is fully supported by bearings in all axes such that those bearings take all thrust and lateral load. The stepper is then pretty much an afterthought. ;) It will get mounted solidly to a bracket, then connected to the leadscrew with a flexible coupler that makes up for any slight misalignment between the centerlines of the two shafts.

Partly out of ignorance, and partly out of cost-cutting, most cheap 3DPrinters pretty much completely ignore all of this basic engineering. They use no thrust bearings, and in fact not only apply thrust load directly to the Z-axis stepper, they apply it through a flexible coupler with all the thrust-loading capacity of a wet noodle.  :palm:

"You can't push a string." is the engineering maxim which applies here; they may not be pushing a string, but the flexible couplers which are cheapest are pretty close; they're a (more or less precision) helical-cut spring which connects a stepper to a leadscrew. These are intended to handle torsional load only. they are not intended for even a gram of thrust loading. ::)

Worse, the cheapest ones use grub screws against the shaft; this, combined with usually abysmal precision in the manufacturing of the bores, makes a coupler that by its nature goes off-center as soon as you start tightening things down. Their only saving grace is the fact that they are essentially a spring, and can make up for several thou out-of-round and even a degree or two off-axis. But that generally self-curing nature of the design does not cure the problem of trying to apply thrust load through a spring.  :P

Knowing this, you can then either completely redesign the X-Axis actuator with proper bearing plates and thrust-loading design, or you can take some minimal steps to ameliorate the impact of the poor design endemic to the product. I choose the latter course.

The fact is that the thrust loading on the stepper motor is pretty low; low enough that even if the bearings do fail as a result, it will be long after the rollers and belts and pretty much every other part of the printer wear out from just plain moving constantly on a chassis made with pretty poor tolerances. And a replacement stepper is $10-20, so really almost a consumable supply anyways. :-//

So then we look at the coupler. There are two basic ways to resolve this issue: either spend the money on a proper semi-rigid coupler that is designed to handle thrust load, or modify the springy one to handle thrust load.

CReality, to their credit, figured this one out a long time ago and went with the first solution. These semi-rigid couplers have a slot cut approx 75% of the way through the body. This will flex enough to make up for a few thou misalignment, however not enough to give at all under thrust loading. The clamp-style attachment used on these by its nature self-centers on the centerline of the shaft it is attached to, and once tightened down, does not work loose like grub screws in this application.

The single drawback of this approach is that to work, these couplers need to be machined to pretty high precision. An order of magnitude higher than most of the cheapo China-direct stuff out there. That is not hard to get... it just costs money. These couplers may not look like much, but they cost easily 3-5x as much to make as those helical-cut cheapies.

I ran up against this issue ages ago with my Tarantula builds... and I came up with a solution back then that still works, for the most part; but you have to have balls. Loose ones.  >:D

Being a tinkerdwagon with interests in a multitude of disciplines means that one of the things I keep in my little bag of dirty tricks is an assortment of loose ball-bearings. When I first started building the Tarantula, I could literally see the coupler bunging up & down while it was running (The Tarantula was a horrible design... it loaded up the Z-Axis really badly), so I tried to find something just like the CReality coupler above. It simply was not available, except in SAE sizes from US machinery suppliers for almost as much money as the whole printer.

So I started thinking, and I realized a thrust bearing was needed here... but it just needed to apply against compression, so a single ball situated between the ends of the stepper and leadscrew shafts was all that would be needed. Even then, most 3DP used a 5mm x 8mm coupler here (due to using the cheapest leadscrew vs cheapest steppers); I found that a 5/16" ball-bearing was just small enough that it would drop inside the coupler and would self-center without binding anywhere.

I found that by adjusting the placement of the coupler so that the ball was a little off-center in the coupler vertically, then pulling the bottom of the coupler down before tightening, I could put a little preload on the ball, and all thrust-loading would be translated directly to the shaft of the stepper, with zero load taken by the spring errr, coupler. :-+

I've been doing them that way ever since. But I still prefer the CReality solution of simply using a better quality semi-rigid coupler. And my CR-6-SE uses two of em.  ;D

mnem

« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 06:24:15 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Ian.M

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1661 on: November 27, 2020, 06:34:07 pm »

Printed this at 0.28mm DRAFT quality, with support everywhere and 3mm walls/2mm top/bottom thickness, concentric pattern. It's a bumper/toeplate for my son's longboard; he keeps whacking it into curbs and has chunked the point off one end. :palm:

Next is to trim/deburr and see how it fits. :-+ I really like how the coarse print actually becomes a nice grip surface.  ;D

mnem
*punt!*
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 06:37:32 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1662 on: November 27, 2020, 07:50:38 pm »

Printed this at 0.28mm DRAFT quality, with support everywhere and 3mm walls/2mm top/bottom thickness, concentric pattern. It's a bumper/toeplate for my son's longboard; he keeps whacking it into curbs and has chunked the point off one end. :palm:

Next is to trim/deburr and see how it fits. :-+ I really like how the coarse print actually becomes a nice grip surface.  ;D

mnem
*punt!*

What type of plastic is it made of - ABS?

Can you 3D print Nylon?

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1663 on: November 27, 2020, 08:24:23 pm »
Damn mnem I have to reverse my anti-bnacklash, thank God the second Z axis is not installed yet.
After reading your post I think also I will be able to get more Z dimension out of my 3DP in this way.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1664 on: November 27, 2020, 08:42:35 pm »
Heh ,

TH3D -

https://www.th3dstudio.com/product/upgraded-leadscrew-nut-for-creality-printers-anti-backlash-nut/

Sells them and they are a reputable company. They mount them just like I did. I was going to call them and have them explain it so I can relay but they only do tech support via email.

In any case I'm leaving mine alone.  :)

But thanks for your opinion Mnem.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1665 on: November 27, 2020, 08:44:23 pm »
Controller Board FAN upgrade

So again mnem pushed me to take care about the fans. I pulled out from under my bench a unused fan from my junk yard that could do the trilck.
Same dimension as the 24V Creality stock one but double the thickness and 12V.

First I measured the stock one

and I got 6700 rpm at 24V.

After doing some stupid math, the new one to push the same amount of air should be run at 2800rpm. Nice! the sound of silence!
Then I measured the new one and I got 3975rpm@8,2V and  3050 rpm at 6,7V... I was shooting for 3000rpm at least... so at least 6,7V.

I will mount the new fan outside the case, so I drilled and tapped the holes to be able to fix the new fan with some 30mm screws.

Then I pulled out a DC DC LM2596, and after cutting some traces I was able to switch it on and off by using the enable pin.

So the DCDC is not only converting the 24V to 7V but also acting as a switch for the µC. booom.

After that some Marlin magic:

Code: [Select]
#define USE_CONTROLLER_FAN
#if ENABLED(USE_CONTROLLER_FAN)
  #define CONTROLLER_FAN_PIN PC12        // Set a custom pin for the controller fan // Zuk PWR-DET
  //#define CONTROLLER_FAN_USE_Z_ONLY    // With this option only the Z axis is considered
  //#define CONTROLLER_FAN_IGNORE_Z      // Ignore Z stepper. Useful when stepper timeout is disabled.
  #define CONTROLLERFAN_SPEED_MIN      0 // (0-255) Minimum speed. (If set below this value the fan is turned off.)
  #define CONTROLLERFAN_SPEED_ACTIVE   0 // (0-255) Active speed, used when any motor is enabled // Zuk FAN on LOW
  #define CONTROLLERFAN_SPEED_IDLE   255 // (0-255) Idle speed, used when motors are disabled // Zuk FAN off LOW
  #define CONTROLLERFAN_IDLE_TIME     60 // (seconds) Extra time to keep the fan running after disabling motors
  #define CONTROLLER_FAN_EDITABLE      // Enable M710 configurable settings
  #if ENABLED(CONTROLLER_FAN_EDITABLE)
    #define CONTROLLER_FAN_MENU          // Enable the Controller Fan submenu
  #endif
#endif

Note that I was able to invert the output because the LM2596 has an inverted enable pin.... another miracle.
Now I have to wait the 30mm M3 screw to finish it up.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 08:49:30 pm by Zucca »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1666 on: November 27, 2020, 09:52:24 pm »
Be very careful using that buck converter, unless you know your source well.       

I had a handful of similar 6A-rated LM2587-based buck converters I bought a couple years ago; one of them failed pass-element-short in my T12 Soldering station build and took out my first T12 OLED controller board. When I related the story in the TEA thread, bd139 or Spec warned me that there were just shedloads of cheap China-direct buck converters with counterfeit ICs in that whole family that were known to fail short, even though the genuine chip is designed to fail or failsafe open.

That was when I was building this version with the KSGER T12 controller; I immediately dumped all those buck converters in the "parts scavenging bin" and went with this 12A CC/CV Buck/Boost unit instead.  :-+

mnem
 :-/O

« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 03:27:06 am by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1667 on: November 27, 2020, 10:19:30 pm »
      Printed this at 0.28mm DRAFT quality, with support everywhere and 3mm walls/2mm top/bottom thickness, concentric pattern. It's a bumper/toeplate for my son's longboard; he keeps whacking it into curbs and has chunked the point off one end. :palm:   Next is to trim/deburr and see how it fits. :-+ I really like how the coarse print actually becomes a nice grip surface.  ;D

mnem
*punt!*
What type of plastic is it made of - ABS?   Can you 3D print Nylon?   

Nahhh... PLA. The CR-6SE supports PLA/TPU/ABS stock out of the box, but I have the family to consider and no garage right now. I've printed this extra-heavy-walled, and then potted the chunked-out end inside with epoxy to give the board a little reinforcement. If it doesn't hold up, well it really is intended to be a sacrificial part; I'll just print another.

This is all more of a "Let us see what Squirt does flying solo..." (01:35 in the vid) kind of scenario anyways; this thing sat all summer after he dusted his knees & elbows and now he's after me to fix it up so he can try again. If he actually gets back on it and tries to learn to just ride competently instead of beating the crap out of it failing at stunts you aren't supposed to on a longboard anyways, he may find something a little higher on the food chain under the tree this Xmas. ;)

Right now waiting on another roll of filament from Amazon to start on one for t'other end; by my calculations I have like 36 grams left and that just ain't gonna cut it. ;)

mnem
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 10:28:14 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1668 on: November 28, 2020, 12:27:06 am »
...Right now waiting on another roll of filament from Amazon to start on one for t'other end; by my calculations I have like 36 grams left and that just ain't gonna cut it. ;)
Filament arrived, but it's not a perfect match to what I've been using. That was black-black and high-gloss; this is a little brownish and semi-gloss or satin. The brand I've been using was sold out, so I bought a 1Kg roll of FlashForge branded filament cuz it was on sale. Toeplate #2 is printing, so we'll see how it matches up tomorrow morning, I guess... :-//

But what is this...? What from BTT could've sneaked into my order...?

mnem
It was like $18; how could I resist...?    >:D

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1669 on: November 28, 2020, 12:46:26 am »
Does that box have a yellow rubber ducky in it? That's what my bigtreetech box had inside (along with the controller board).

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1670 on: November 28, 2020, 01:55:41 am »

>:D

mnem
"Oh rubber duckie, you're the one;
You make bathtime lots of fun.
Oh, rubber duckie, rubber duckie, rubber duckie...
I'm awfully fond of you."

*sqweek-sqweeeek!*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1671 on: November 28, 2020, 05:29:59 am »

Isn't it just adorbs...?  :-DD

Oh, and the duckie too...  ;)

I have to admit... I WAS hoping for the thing to just work, as the DIGGRO is already configured for serial control. I tried every baudrate available in the menu and swapping TX & RX in case it was labeled wrong but no joy; it wouldn't even finish booting then.  :P

I'll have to see if I can find any documentation; it appears the FW has been revised as it is dated April 2020. I'm pretty sure the 6-Pin header is AVR-ICSP; I'm hoping the 8-pin is most of the pins for EXP-1 but that will probably require tracing out to the CPU.

mnem
*toddles off to ded*
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 05:31:49 am by mnementh »

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #1672 on: November 28, 2020, 08:19:00 am »
Because it is morning hereabouts, and I'm not a morning person, I initially thought that LGT_KIT_V1.0 board was by BTT (and not Diggro), and wanted to check the details at BTT website.  This is a screenshot of what I found.

I wonder if their bolg tells more about the cheap wedding dresses they sell? :-DD

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1673 on: November 28, 2020, 08:37:01 am »
Because it is morning hereabouts, and I'm not a morning person, I initially thought that LGT_KIT_V1.0 board was by BTT (and not Diggro), and wanted to check the details at BTT website.  This is a screenshot of what I found.

I wonder if their bolg tells more about the cheap wedding dresses they sell? :-DD
This is a trick some AliExpress sellers use to make private listings after discussion to organize a private deal.
Normally the price is firmly set as the same as you have privately negotiated and once agreed the seller sends you the link to the listing for which you have a set time to hit Buy.
They feel more confident using AliExpress and have the security of Escrow.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1674 on: November 28, 2020, 10:33:00 am »
to fail short

If this is the case the 24V 20A car blade fuse will blow up, thanks for the head up.

oh wait, my main PSU is rated 24V 14,6A, uh?

Car fuse spec

uuu I have to get a 15A fuse  :scared:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 10:53:53 am by Zucca »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf