Author Topic: Show your favorite and most used benchtop PSU  (Read 290454 times)

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
Re: Show your favorite and most used benchtop PSU
« Reply #250 on: December 21, 2013, 12:01:18 am »
TTI Thurlby Thandar TSX3510 35v 10amp PSU

Have to say TTI have the best customer support and so cheap for spare parts.

Offline Mark Hennessy

• Frequent Contributor
    • My electronics and audio website
« Reply #251 on: December 21, 2013, 04:22:08 pm »

Hmm... I have a handful of Thurlby PSUs here - mostly PL320s and a TS-something somewhere. I quite like them, although the earlier PL320s are a mess inside and not exactly easy to work on.

BUT, given that they wanted £35 for a service manual - which would have cost them nothing to email as a PDF - I can't agree with your comments about support. Perhaps they've improved since then (that was 3 or 4 years back).

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #252 on: December 21, 2013, 04:40:10 pm »
They seem great to talk to over the phone for advice and also for parts, never asked for a schematic as the companies I worked for already had them from TTi, that's annoying about the schematic  |O I will ask them when I call next to see if they will email one or still charge!
Are you parting with any of your Thurlby gear, I have a bit of a fetish for it  :-DD

Hmm... I have a handful of Thurlby PSUs here - mostly PL320s and a TS-something somewhere. I quite like them, although the earlier PL320s are a mess inside and not exactly easy to work on.

BUT, given that they wanted £35 for a service manual - which would have cost them nothing to email as a PDF - I can't agree with your comments about support. Perhaps they've improved since then (that was 3 or 4 years back).

Offline sachleen

• Contributor
    • My Site
« Reply #253 on: December 21, 2013, 07:58:34 pm »
I made this one following the LM317 typical application circuit. I added a small volt/amp panel meter to it, voltage adjust knob, and two banana jacks. On the back is a DC input from a 12v wall wart and power switch. I just ruined the display while I was trying to calibrate the volt meter. :(

I'm working on another one right now that has digital control and current limiting.

Offline minime72706

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #254 on: December 22, 2013, 03:39:44 pm »
I made this one following the LM317 typical application circuit. I added a small volt/amp panel meter to it, voltage adjust knob, and two banana jacks. On the back is a DC input from a 12v wall wart and power switch. I just ruined the display while I was trying to calibrate the volt meter. :(

I'm working on another one right now that has digital control and current limiting.

Nice COMPAQ screwdriver, bro.
I have more incomplete projects than I have digits and toes.

Offline BravoVTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #255 on: December 23, 2013, 03:40:58 am »
Nice COMPAQ screwdriver, bro.

It brings nostalgic moment, that thing was basically all over the place in 90s as promotional/advertisement item from almost major computer/electronic companies, you could spot at least one if you walked into a typical IT person's workspace/table.  ;D

Offline d3javu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #256 on: December 25, 2013, 04:43:53 am »
These are the two power supplies i'm using at the moment.  :-/O

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #257 on: December 25, 2013, 12:28:15 pm »

I love how some manufacturers started putting "REMOVE PROTECTIVE FILM BEFORE USE" messages in huge font obscuring the view, so people dead-set on keeping their stuff "virgin" long past its warranty have no choice but to peel it off, already :P

Offline d3javu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #258 on: December 25, 2013, 12:55:30 pm »

I love how some manufacturers started putting "REMOVE PROTECTIVE FILM BEFORE USE" messages in huge font obscuring the view, so people dead-set on keeping their stuff "virgin" long past its warranty have no choice but to peel it off, already :P

Haha, each and every time i look at the screen, i'm tempted to peel it off.... it is not easy to control oneself from doing it.  :phew:

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #259 on: December 25, 2013, 02:01:37 pm »
Haha, each and every time i look at the screen, i'm tempted to peel it off.... it is not easy to control oneself from doing it.  :phew:

Come on... you know you want it... and you deserved it... and it's Christmas, after all...  >:D

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #260 on: December 25, 2013, 08:23:04 pm »
Just watch that protective film, I've had some films that bond to plastic over (a long) time making it an ugly mess when finally trying to remove it.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #261 on: December 25, 2013, 08:38:35 pm »
Just go and buy some cheap tablet screen protectors and cut into strips as a replacement. Easy on, easy off when needed and pretty invisible. Should be under $2 for most of the clone ones, and as a bonus they come with a cleaning cloth to remove dust and polish the screen before application.

Offline d3javu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #262 on: December 26, 2013, 01:39:10 pm »
Just watch that protective film, I've had some films that bond to plastic over (a long) time making it an ugly mess when finally trying to remove it.
Eew, that is a big pain if it happens.

Just go and buy some cheap tablet screen protectors and cut into strips as a replacement. Easy on, easy off when needed and pretty invisible. Should be under $2 for most of the clone ones, and as a bonus they come with a cleaning cloth to remove dust and polish the screen before application.
Sounds neat, will give it a try. thanks. :-+

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #263 on: December 26, 2013, 01:52:42 pm »
I had a similar issue with some plastic bag I put over my Rigol 1052E to store it, it started to melt the knobs :wtf:
You can't even trust Chinese bags anymore.

Offline jippie

• Supporter
« Reply #264 on: December 26, 2013, 07:53:39 pm »
This is my favorite power supply. Built February 1958, 0-30V, 0-300mA and 0-25 ohm internal impedance. The most used one is a simple 5V power brick ...

« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 07:55:15 pm by jippie »

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #265 on: December 27, 2013, 03:05:42 am »
Love vintage kit great to see it still in service. What concerns me though is the use of PCBs in capacitors and transformers in some vintage devices.

This is my favorite power supply. Built February 1958, 0-30V, 0-300mA and 0-25 ohm internal impedance. The most used one is a simple 5V power brick ...

Offline minime72706

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #266 on: December 27, 2013, 06:14:52 am »
Love vintage kit great to see it still in service. What concerns me though is the use of PCBs in capacitors and transformers in some vintage devices.

Capacitors, sure, but just because a transformer looks ... absolutely disgusting ... doesn't mean it's prone to failure.
I have more incomplete projects than I have digits and toes.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
Re: Re: Show your favorite and most used benchtop PSU
« Reply #267 on: December 27, 2013, 06:33:19 am »

Capacitors, sure, but just because a transformer looks ... absolutely disgusting ... doesn't mean it's prone to failure.

He's saying PCBs used in the sealed transformers I think.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline jippie

• Supporter
« Reply #268 on: December 27, 2013, 08:26:43 am »
It's not really in service, I found it the other day in the attic at my parent's place. I do want to clean it up and carefully test it. Have to find a variac and a lightbulb first to prevent components from releasing the magic blue smokeir PCB's  when powering up.

Love vintage kit great to see it still in service.

Offline mrkev

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #269 on: December 28, 2013, 04:47:23 pm »
Well it's favorite one... I've build it when I was 14yo... 15V/1,5A
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 05:17:03 pm by mrkev »

Offline sync

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #270 on: December 28, 2013, 05:11:40 pm »
It's unlikely that it contains PCBs in the caps or transformer. The caps should be DC electrolytics and they are PCB free.

Online TimNJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #271 on: December 28, 2013, 07:58:31 pm »
My one and only "real" power supply, but it serves me very well.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #272 on: December 28, 2013, 08:02:35 pm »
This is one I put together around 20 odd years ago to give me an AC supply from 0-12VAC at 5A. Isolated output, using an old variac. Originally the variac was designed for 115VAC 400Hz use, with a 5A rating, but on 50Hz 12V is about the maximum I will give it as a supply.

Offline Po6ept

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #273 on: January 13, 2014, 12:55:56 pm »
I have owned a pair of these Lambda LA-200 supplies for years.  I just picked up the Protek 303 at a hamfest on Saturday for $30.  It works well, but I would still like to have one dual-voltage supply.

Offline madshaman

• Frequent Contributor
  • ego trans insani
Show your favorite and most used benchtop PSU
« Reply #274 on: January 13, 2014, 01:46:53 pm »
It's probably not my *best* PSU, but it's my favourite and it gets used the most:

To be responsible, but never to let fear stop the imagination.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf