Author Topic: Show your favorite and most used benchtop PSU  (Read 290444 times)

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
Re: Show your favorite and most used benchtop PSU
« Reply #275 on: January 13, 2014, 02:39:47 pm »
PD Beauty :P

Offline madshaman

• Frequent Contributor
  • ego trans insani
Show your favorite and most used benchtop PSU
« Reply #276 on: January 13, 2014, 10:50:53 pm »

PD Beauty :P

Yeah, I love PD supplies too.  Sexy sexy sexy and a pleasure to use.
To be responsible, but never to let fear stop the imagination.

Offline madshaman

• Frequent Contributor
  • ego trans insani
Show your favorite and most used benchtop PSU
« Reply #277 on: January 13, 2014, 10:57:21 pm »
Here's the PD supply that sits on top of the other.  Some day I'd like to touch up the paint.

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #278 on: January 15, 2014, 04:58:27 pm »
It's probably not my *best* PSU, but it's my favourite and it gets used the most:

Sex on a stick!

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #279 on: January 15, 2014, 06:20:52 pm »
It's probably not my *best* PSU, but it's my favourite and it gets used the most:

I have the B variant, and is my favorite as well.

Offline madshaman

• Frequent Contributor
  • ego trans insani
« Reply #280 on: February 10, 2014, 06:14:37 am »

Sweet!  I know why there's so much PD love on the forum, solid, so easy to use, no nonsense.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #281 on: February 10, 2014, 03:58:16 pm »

Sweet!  I know why there's so much PD love on the forum, solid, so easy to use, no nonsense.
Paid just under $82 for it, including shipping. Triple output, fully functional, built like a tank, and even the cosmetics are great.  ;D

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #282 on: February 13, 2014, 08:00:36 pm »
These are all amazing.  I'll update this post with pics of mine when I get a moment.

Here they are.

Power Designs 3650-S.  I couldn't find the schematic online, so I got the manual via eBay.  If anyone wants a copy, I'm glad to take a high-resolution photo and share it.

HP 6201B:

HP 6286A, my most-used supply, by far:

Rigol DP832:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 04:13:33 am by Rigby »

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #283 on: February 18, 2014, 05:32:55 am »
Power Designs 3650-S.  I couldn't find the schematic online, so I got the manual via eBay.  If anyone wants a copy, I'm glad to take a high-resolution photo and share it.

I'd love to take you up on that if you don't mind!  Just sort-of-accidentally bought a 3650-S along with a TW5005 on eBay today and quickly found as you did that the 3650 manual's nowhere to be found on the net.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go back to my lurking until my new toys get here and I can properly contribute to the thread.

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #284 on: February 19, 2014, 04:16:30 am »
I'd love to take you up on that if you don't mind!  Just sort-of-accidentally bought a 3650-S
"sort-of-accidentally" my butt.  I know how these things work :)  You're in good company, no need to hide. 

https://s3.amazonaws.com/RigbyElectronics/PowerDesigns3650S_Manual.pdf
https://s3.amazonaws.com/RigbyElectronics/PowerDesigns3650S_Schematic.pdf

(by the way, if anyone can read that schematic and tell me why the limit lamp is always on, i'd appreciate it.)

The circuit board pictured in the schematic doesn't match mine at all, so if anyone finds a different version of this, I'd greatly appreciate it if you shared it.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 01:29:14 pm by Rigby »

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #285 on: February 19, 2014, 06:40:23 am »

all from ebay except the one with the price sticker on it, that was from a local store (Halted).

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #286 on: February 19, 2014, 01:30:05 pm »
I love the voltage dials on those Power Designs supplies.

Offline KarlosVandango

• Contributor
« Reply #287 on: February 19, 2014, 06:34:46 pm »
Hello Fellas,

Hopefully you'll find this interesting... I constructed this a few years ago... (I think I was 13). After driving my parents to despair over battery usage, my Dad (who's friend was a blinding instrument guy (and they both worked at the local nuclear power station)) helped me design a twin PSU. I built the circuit, he went through with me how to start, research the components etc... (before .pdf datasheets and internet! Had to use RS components and Maplin catalog) and Dad did the drilling and "sourcing" of all the bits etc.. ;)

Max voltage output is 25V per channel, 2A per channel can be drawn (or if you bridge the outputs you can get a whopping 4A supply) ;)

Biased on the LM723, this unit has also short-circuit protection, AND you can limit the current going out. Although the gauges are analogue, they still do the job, and I didn't want to mess up the calibration of the dials. ;)

I'm 35 now, and the unit is still in use. Unfortunately, the PSU used to have a nasty habit of discharging max voltage through the output terminals when you turned the unit off (no bleed resistors on the caps!!). When I was an apprentice, I fitted bleed resistors AND relays to disconnect the output terminals (along with additional snubbers etc).

God only knows now where I put the schematic for it... But I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to reverse engineer... Hmmmm....

Regards,

Karl

I'm just making this up as I go along!

Offline KarlosVandango

• Contributor
« Reply #288 on: February 19, 2014, 06:42:35 pm »
Forgot this one....

You can see the other bits added over the years... Do I upgrade to digital displays...? I think I'd rather build another one, this unit works, although you do need a multi-meter to get really accurate settings. But the gauges are spot on, it's only when you require "point" of a volt... :)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #289 on: February 19, 2014, 11:42:00 pm »
Overshoot at power down is a nasty habit of many self build and cheap power supplies. It can kill circuits if you are unlucky. I recall a case when an intern tested tens of boards with a cheap PSU. Ofcourse all the boards where OK and they got shipped to the customer. At the customer none worked. After some questioning it turned out he used the crappiest PSU in the 'lab' which had this overshoot problem which killed all the 4000 series logic. Some people objected when I dumped the PSU in the bin. Another lesson to be learned is that you should put regulators on a board to make sure the supply voltage is within range.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline warp_foo

• Supporter
« Reply #290 on: February 20, 2014, 11:57:26 am »
Forgot this one....

You can see the other bits added over the years... Do I upgrade to digital displays...? I think I'd rather build another one, this unit works, although you do need a multi-meter to get really accurate settings. But the gauges are spot on, it's only when you require "point" of a volt... :)

If you're putting it up for a vote: No! I love the analog gauges.

m
Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?

Offline KarlosVandango

• Contributor
« Reply #291 on: February 20, 2014, 07:42:33 pm »
Thanks! I'll think I'll keep 'em :)

Totally agree about the over-shoot! I've killed many a circuit forgetting about disconnecting first!!... I lived with it for a few years, but when I hit my apprenticeship (after blowing up a great circuit which took ages to build for work) I was straight in there like a thing possessed... Relays, bleed resistors, snubbers etc. :blah: But really the design was flawed from the start, could do so much better now. But it's my favorite piece of equipment and most useful thing I've ever made :)

I hate to think how much it cost the CEGB... (the mighty Central Electricity Generation Board... back in the day of publicly owned power)

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #292 on: February 22, 2014, 09:11:01 pm »
I'd love to take you up on that if you don't mind!  Just sort-of-accidentally bought a 3650-S
"sort-of-accidentally" my butt.  I know how these things work :)  You're in good company, no need to hide.
I'm just saying, that "Make an offer" thing is dangerous, especially if you forget about that offer you made on a 3650S when you see a nice TW5005 with a tempting "Buy it Now" price!

Thanks for sharing those PDFs.  If the CC and CV modes function properly even with the limit lamp always lit, I'd suggest starting at Q12.

Offline lapm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #293 on: February 22, 2014, 09:28:11 pm »

If those analog gauges work keep them :) Not too many of those around anymore. Gives your PSU this "OLD" feel...

You don't always need super accurate readings after all..

Damn this thread, now i want to build myself second PSU...
Electronics, Linux, Programming, Science... im interested all of it...

Offline anachrocomputer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #294 on: March 05, 2014, 01:52:37 pm »
My main bench power supply, the Farnell TOPS 4D:

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #295 on: March 05, 2014, 02:25:34 pm »
Here's the PD supply that sits on top of the other.  Some day I'd like to touch up the paint.

If anyone knows a good paint to use to touch these up, please let me know.  I'm gonna scratch out all the paint that is in these little channels now and repaint the entire thing, but I'm not sure what paint to use.  A little voice in my head is screaming "enamel paint" but I don't know if that's right or even what it is.  It's weird how the voices are... :scared:

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #296 on: March 05, 2014, 02:35:01 pm »
Make sure you have one that is etched and filled graphics first!  Some are just silk screened paint with no channels. :'(

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #297 on: March 05, 2014, 03:40:25 pm »
Make sure you have one that is etched and filled graphics first!  Some are just silk screened paint with no channels. :'(

Mine is definitely etched.  Handy little groove to lay down paint on.  I've had vinyl stencils cut with detail like this, so I could go that route if the stencils weren't available.  I've heard of using stencils as negatives, before, laying down a negative of the pattern you want, then airbrushing in the exposed areas and peeling off the vinyl.  I was going to try that if it wasn't grooved.

Offline electronics technician

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #298 on: March 05, 2014, 04:14:46 pm »
This is the best i can afford, i use the 9V battery when i need a stable supply.
thats a big breadboard how much did that cost
btw great psu

Offline MLXXXp

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #299 on: March 07, 2014, 01:59:46 pm »
I suppose I should get something better but I've gotten by so far with these.

Most used:
Elenco XP-655
0-30VDC 0.5A

For higher current or a 2nd supply:
Quick and dirty LM338K
1.3-30VDC 5A(maybe)

For higher voltages:
Heathkit IP-32
0-400VDC 100mA, 0-minus100VDC 1mA, 6.3VAC 4A

For AC:
General Radio Variac type W5
0-130VAC 5A unregulated