Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1445054 times)

Offline Sarah1390

Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #2175 on: February 07, 2017, 01:37:25 am »
Hey everybody.

I am just a person who just loves to fix stuff or learn how it works. Just recently I worked up the courage to start building my own electronics from eBay kits and now learning how to do it from scratch. Only thing left to do is stop being so fearful of the magic blue smoke especially from mains powered projects.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2176 on: February 07, 2017, 03:25:40 am »
Hey everybody.

I am just a person who just loves to fix stuff or learn how it works. Just recently I worked up the courage to start building my own electronics from eBay kits and now learning how to do it from scratch. Only thing left to do is stop being so fearful of the magic blue smoke especially from mains powered projects.

Someday, you will understand disappointment when magic smoke doesn't appear.  |O
iratus parum formica

Offline Nitrus

• Contributor
« Reply #2177 on: February 07, 2017, 12:24:30 pm »
Hello!
I've been a web developer for a number of years now, however I've tinkered with electronics since I was a child.
I wouldn't call myself an expert by any means, but I've built my fair share of circuits so far, and I'm always looking to expand that knowledge.
I'd love to be doing more EE as I find it both enjoyable and relaxing, even when it doesn't work :)

I've etched my own boards for a while, still doing that mostly since most of my projects are personal or prototypes, but I've had some made professionaly as well.
I'm not quite a beginner, I like to tinker with RF, IoT, Web controlled devices, AVRs lately etc., that being said however I'd probably lurk in there for a while until I find my place on the forum, you guys can be quite unforgiving sometimes! (with just cause, surely:) )

Cheers!

Offline MB 32

« Reply #2178 on: February 07, 2017, 09:04:16 pm »
Hi,

I'm french so sorry for my poor English. I'm a true beginner, never learned beyond I'm 16 old (and then I'm 63); I tried to be an OM, but the frequencies and all this stuff were too much and I gave up.

I had a hobby in the 80' with some com programs with MSDOS, adressing directly the 8250 and the clock, and now as I'm older and older, I try to understand why with PC AT3 and an IRQ routine that took no more than 20 cycles, I got several events up with no event down between.

I bought a Siglent 1102X-S, do you think it could help me to see what happens when a button is switched on/off when connected to the RS232 of a AT3 ?

Could you help me to see these waves on the Siglent, give me some help ?

Accessory, this Siglent should be able to decode the serial signal, or even the USB or the HDMI. I don't understand how to connect a probe to it, I guess it is necessary to have special probes, I would appreciate any help too.

Many thanks, and very friendly to all,

Milos

Offline Caio Negri

• Contributor
« Reply #2179 on: February 09, 2017, 05:17:30 pm »
Hi all

My name is Caio Negri, I'm a 27 year old Electrial Engineer from Brazil. At university I worked with Robotics and Automation but recently I've started delving into Electronic Design and Embedded Systems. In late 2016 I designed a low cost level sensor for waste bins using the HC-SR04 ultrassonic module and an ESP8266 SoC. I presented a working prototype to one of the major recycling companies and got their interest, since then I've been working on installing sensors around the city and building the monitoring system to help minimize their cost with logistics (Turns out 70% of their expenses is purely transport).

To be honest I've never felt more excited and motivated as I do now, I have more projects on the way and I hope to share those here and get feedback from the amazing pool of engineers, technicians and hobbyists on this forum. I also look forward to helping people getting into electronics with any knowledge I can share.

Cheers!
Caio
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 05:21:25 pm by Caio Negri »
"Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can." - Arthur Ashe

Offline 0HAO

« Reply #2180 on: February 09, 2017, 05:29:11 pm »
Hi,
I'm Chris from Colorado. I'm a newly licensed Ham radio operator and that began an interested in general electronics. I'm working on setting up a small lab and getting some test equipment. I've taken a class years ago on basic electronics and have some experience with through hole soldering projects, but I'm really interested in RF and radio troubleshooting and repair. I bought the book: How to Diagnose and Fix Everything Electronic, from Amazon, I'm going through that as well as the information for the General Ham license manual.

Thanks,

Offline Rypht

« Reply #2181 on: February 14, 2017, 10:57:57 am »
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to expand my understanding of electronics.  Mostly my experience has been through the realm of a several decades of computer hardware exposure, but honestly it's always felt like I was handling magic when working inside a computer case.  I knew what the assembled board's functions where, but beyond that?  Secrets of the universe, man.   

This is going to be on a hobby level, but you never know, it might lead somewhere one day.  Right now, I'm still very much in the reading and watching lots of videos stage, but hope to get into the fun stuff soon.

Offline 3_bit

« Reply #2182 on: February 15, 2017, 03:24:27 pm »
Hello from Michigan Tech! 1st year Computer Engineering student and complete retrocomputing nerd here.

Repairing 1970s and 1960s discrete logic processors is my definition of fun... mostly so when schematics are present. Who needs a logic analyzer when you have vintage HP logic probes?

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #2183 on: February 16, 2017, 01:39:15 am »
Hello from Michigan Tech! 1st year Computer Engineering student and complete retrocomputing nerd here.

Repairing 1970s and 1960s discrete logic processors is my definition of fun... mostly so when schematics are present. Who needs a logic analyzer when you have vintage HP logic probes?

I worked as a field service eng during the 70s. There was a real hot market for the "mini-computers" of the day from DEC, Data General, HP, Varian, etc, etc, etc. They were most all TTL logic designs. It was amazing to see how different companies implemented their design features and cost competitiveness. Now the chip companies do the designing.

Offline Broonale

« Reply #2184 on: February 16, 2017, 04:36:58 am »
Long time listener, first time caller!

I'm a hobbyist into restoring vintage computers and video games.

Glad to be here!

Blake

Offline variance

« Reply #2185 on: February 16, 2017, 06:11:21 am »
Former lurker. Work in BI/ETL. Have always been fascinated by hardware hacking.

My first "hack" of sorts was when I was 13 and added a capacitor + switch to overclock/turbo my TI-85. Had 2 classmates willing to pay me $40 each to do the same to their calculator.. I messed up on the third one I did when I slipped and melted my friend's display cable.. ended up having
to give him my TI-85... ended up upgrading to a TI-89 where I opted not to to OC it. I had lost my confidence in soldering without messing things up.

My current projects are:

1. using a bus pirate/open workbench logic sniffer to grab the ATA password of my karaoke machine's hard drive as the SMART status shows the drive isn't healthy and I'd like to backup $200+ worth of karaoke song updates I've paid for to another drive.

2. Modding a GT 640 and after that a 690 X2 into Tesla or Grid K1 cards via the thread here.

3. Unbricking a HP 221 SAS controller. (Messed up during a flash)

Offline MrBungle

• Supporter
« Reply #2186 on: February 16, 2017, 09:09:33 am »
Like the two above, long-time lurker (~6 years).

My name is Simon, I'm in Perth WA, been tinkering with electronics since I was about 5 or 6, so ~35 years now, and my story rather scarily echo's Daves 'When I was a Boy' video (linked below)... even the same kits, same  gear, same magazines... not really that surprising I guess considering I'm also an Aussie and we are of similar age.
When I hit my teens though I kinda lost interest in electronics for a while  ;D
I still tinkered but it was rare, too many distractions.

Currently working in the Oil&Gas industry doing Terminal Arrangement drawings etc etc, installation of Pressure/Level Transmitters, solenoid valves, cables (All explosive atmosphere stuff) and it's all pretty boring stuff really, but it pays the bills.

My current passion is lasers and holography.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:12:55 am by MrBungle »

Offline testian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2187 on: February 16, 2017, 03:11:42 pm »
Hi,

although i am not really new I will introduce myselfe. I started reeding the board a few years ago. I am from Germany and an state certificated technician.

Offline palindrom71

• Contributor
« Reply #2188 on: February 17, 2017, 08:41:16 pm »
Hello everyone! My name is Marcin and I'm from Poland. Electronics was always my hobby, which turned out to be very helpful during my studies (I'm a physicist), work at Nokia, Bell Labs and now Nokia again ;) The best investment of my free time ever! ;) Optics, photonics, now RF.
Since I watched most of Dave's videos and read some of Forum, time has come to register finally. See you around!
Cheers, Marcin

Offline ratio

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2189 on: February 17, 2017, 10:31:46 pm »
Hey, off 'n on lurker here. Finally got a project that I intend to see to completion, so I need to educate myself. Former electrician, now commercial HVAC tech, always had an interest in electronics & computers (Had to put the VAX 6320 from the basement out to pasture, but she went to a loving home!) but now I want to understand a little better/deeper.

Offline reinardvanloo

« Reply #2190 on: February 18, 2017, 10:13:53 am »
Hi All,

Finally got around to registering myself after having followed the EEVblog for the last 2 years. Great suff Dave, keep going!

My name is Reinard van Loo, If live in Vienna, Austria and my current hobby interest is repairing synthesisers, the pro-gear stuff. I buy broken ones for spares or repair, do them up; and sell them again. With the "profit" I buy other synths for myself or test and repair gear (still looking for a decently priced 34401a located in Europe). Daytime job is with an Austrian company providing (primarily SW) solutions for air traffic management and public safety control rooms.

BUT: If you live in Vienna area AND have some broken synths or MIDI synth modules lying around... please let me know, will be glad to help you get rid of it  ;)

Offline JerryRigged

« Reply #2191 on: February 18, 2017, 01:03:13 pm »
Another new forum member here from Florida, USA. Been doing shall electronics projects on the side for years and just never registered before.

Offline kgharibyan

New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #2192 on: February 18, 2017, 01:21:42 pm »
Hi to all, my name is Karen (male in Armenia), I'm from Armenia, my hobbies are RC helicopters and HAM Radio, my callsign is EK7PP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bugi

• Regular Contributor
  • Hobbyist using the ultra slow and unsure method
« Reply #2193 on: February 21, 2017, 07:45:29 pm »
Another eevblog & other forums observer for several years, and even longer term electronics hobbyist (with a bit of side-steps in the mechanical direction). Studied EE / programming, but working as a programmer (high level stuff, no electronics in sight).

Finally I have acquired both the necessary space and some new tools to start going forward faster and to more advanced stuff. Just need some more tools/devices, and as usual, some more money (working on that) and lots of free time (I am pretty sure free time goes by much faster than any other time, even if scientists claim otherwise).

I tend to have troubles to finish projects if they are not well planned beforehand, and a (large) bit of perfectionism, so as I have learned to know myself on those "issues", I have started to more or less overdo the planning, design, engineering phase of all non-trivial projects. Which means I tend to read a lot of datasheets, application notes and literature, and check for plenty of options, backup choices and backup plans. Basically anything and everything that helps me finish the actual do it -phase as easily as possible and with the least chances of showstoppers along the way.

Some of the projects are rather ambitious, but (most) should be still doable even for a hobbyist like me. Should be. Time willmay tell. And sometimes the "could/can I actually do this?" is more interesting than the actual end result. At least one learns a lot just from all the reading beforehand. (:bookworm smiley:)

All that has lead to my current status of having about 20 projects in various shapes in the planning stage, about 30 in a "just an idea" stage, and only a couple finished projects, a full cabinet (and few big boxes) of accumulated items and components for the projects... and the big desire to start getting stuff done (and thus getting some of that project storage compressed into the smaller and hopefully useful, or at least usable, end results).

Offline golub2017

« Reply #2194 on: February 21, 2017, 07:51:33 pm »
Hi I am Golub, and came from Serbia, electronics is my hobby

Glad to be part of this community

Offline moz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2195 on: February 23, 2017, 11:58:05 pm »
I'm Moz, qualified as an EE but like so many others, working as a programmer. In the same room as hardware guys, but my job is just typing. I play with primitive electronics on and off, making a project then using it until it breaks. Like taking the RS232 from the PV on our roof and pushing it to a display in the kitchen... all very "buy the Lego blocks and wire them together" level. Rarely do I actually design boards - so far my most popular ones was a temperature/humidity datalogger that shortly after I got the boards delivered I found someone in China selling on eBay. I got a few hundred downloads of updated firmware from my website before I took it down. You can now get those for ~$20 but at the time they were $150 and I could get the parts for ~$20 so... yeah, I'm cheap.

Currently in the early stages of building a wee circuit to display power in a basic 100W PV+battery setup in my shed, because none of the ones I can buy have any logging capability. So I will see if I can make an Arduino measure the things and display them, while writing them to a uSD card. Ideally without a custom board, just bodging it all into a proto board.

Joined up here after starting to follow Dave, AvE and BigClive on YouTube and deciding I have Things To Say about the videos :)

Offline JenniferG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2196 on: February 25, 2017, 12:00:34 am »
Just found this thread.  Used to having introductions area under a sub-forum vs. thread.  Didn't know it existed until now.

My name is Jennifer. I am a newb. Got help from the other thread (thanks).. going to go through the Art of Electronics pair of books and try and learn something.
Test Equip: GDM-8251a, UT61E, Probemaster, Tektronix 2225
Power Supplies: GPD-3303S (w/o overshoot problem)
Soldering Station:  Hakko 926

Offline W2NAP

• Supporter
« Reply #2197 on: February 25, 2017, 12:41:54 am »
Well I am new to the forums.

Just a guy in Indiana, who drives a tow truck and plays with radios... and other stuff

The following users thanked this post: JenniferG

Offline juretrn

« Reply #2198 on: February 27, 2017, 11:06:12 am »
Hello good people of the EEVBlog community!
I'm an EE Student from Slovenia, and I've been watching the Dave's Youtube channel for a while, but only now I decided to join the forum. I'm just a few months away from finishing my master's thesis and then finally on to the "real world".
Cheers!

Offline VE7FIM

• Contributor
« Reply #2199 on: February 28, 2017, 04:55:17 am »
Been here for a little while, but never too late to make introductions.

I'm David, a Ham radio operator and electronics hobbyist from Canada. Been tinkering with electronics since the early 90's, and while my work doesn't leave me with much time for side projects, it does let me do a little bit of electronics work "on the clock", as they'd say.

I'm currently learning how to program FPGAs, and learning about Software-Defined Radio (SDR) technology.

VE7FIM

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf