Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1444857 times)

Offline PICmonster

• Regular Contributor
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #875 on: January 24, 2013, 06:53:16 pm »
Hi I'm Jim I regard myself as an enthusiastic professional Chartered engineer with a true passion and interest for engineering subjects, from an early age I have had a self-drive and passion for engineering subjects especially electronics, I began my engineering journey by learning to read circuit diagrams and assembling electronic circuits from the age of 9; I thrive on technical stuff and have always had an interest in technical subjects. Throughout my career I have gained knowledge and experience at every level of the electronics industry, starting as an electrical maintenance apprentice in 1979 and advancing to Research & Development later in my career.

Offline 0xFFFF

• Contributor
« Reply #876 on: January 25, 2013, 09:06:41 am »
Hey All,

I'm an enthusiast. In my spare time I develop hardware and software. My strong point is NFC / RFID.

Regards,

Kev

Offline WV1800es

• Contributor
« Reply #877 on: January 25, 2013, 06:47:16 pm »
Hello World-
This is Bruce, I've been inventing, tinkering, repairing, designing and documenting for as long as I can remember.  Personally, I think this digital thing is all a scheme that's bound to fall apart, and we'll all find ourselves back in analog bliss...:-)  I've worked in telecommunications, TV ratings, educational equipment and textbooks, digital subcarrier radio, and A/V system installation and design.  Not to mention baking and dairy farming.  Got a few nice old radios, including a floor model Philco that has FM.  Also rebuilding a '72 Volvo 1800es for it's 40th birthday.  Right now I'm drilling for free electrons, hoping to find a good source-
From a Million Miles Away.....

Offline eyebrow

• A Maker
« Reply #878 on: January 27, 2013, 05:53:30 am »
Hi, I'm Dwayne and I run a makerspace in Perth http://westcoastmakers.com I work for Rio Tinto and in my days off I look after the OpenLab Hobby Engineering web store.

I play with 3D printing a bit, just recently purchased a printrbot+ and have achieved good results with this.
Also been playing with the xbox kinect and reconstructme software to create 3D images of peoples mugs....then print them out.

Look forward to getting involved in the forum.
Cheers

Offline 64bitDOS

« Reply #879 on: January 31, 2013, 12:57:19 pm »
Hi, My name is Steven.

I'm retired. Current project: High stability, constant current diode LASER power supply and TEC controller for use in holography.
Future project: Tesla coil powered with 3 x 8kV @50mA NST in parallel.

I found this site while looking for a digital storage scope and spotted the EEVblog review of the DS1052E on youtube.

Test gear:
DS1052E :-), Tektronix 2205 (owned since new), Macaroni TF2341 200MhZ frequency counter inc high stab ref (fleabay), Fluke 25 DMM (fleabay), Farnell LT30-2 PSU, Wavetek 182A function gen (fleabay).
Waiting for my latest fleabay purchase to arrive: Fluke 8840A. :-)

Offline KrisBlueNZ

« Reply #880 on: February 03, 2013, 09:11:59 am »
Hi all,

I'm Kris in Wellington, New Zealand.

I've been a design engineer and programmer for embedded systems for 20 years, dealing mainly with industrial I/O for monitoring and control, power/battery, and data communication. I've worked with 6303, 8051, AVR, x86 and MSP430 architectures, and a few others.

I contribute on electronicspoint as KrisBlueNZ (http://www.electronicspoint.com/members/krisbluenz.html). For more see https://plus.google.com/101133174323664090405/about.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 09:15:20 am by KrisBlueNZ »

Offline rgbit

« Reply #881 on: February 03, 2013, 07:44:20 pm »
Hello

I'm Ruben, from Spain.  35 years soldering all kinds of electronics  >:D . I was reading some EEVBlog articles on past months, and finally I'm registered.

Good night to everybody from Spain.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #882 on: February 04, 2013, 02:11:35 pm »
Hi guys,

So, I'm David from Slovakia. I've been watching the EEVBlog for some time and I've finally registered onto the forum. I'm a hardware developer and enjoy electronics as a hobby as well.

So... Hello from Slovakia!  :P

David
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline mswhin63

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #883 on: February 04, 2013, 02:44:02 pm »
Hi All,

My name is Malcolm Whinfield from Western Australia. I am a qualified Radio Technician for 30 years. I have a business in electronics but am winding things down a bit and have gone back to Uni now in my 2nd year Double Degree Physics and Electronic Engineering (Communications.

I am now getting back into the thrill on design work compared to the majority of my life debugging. I hope to use this skill to help my way through Uni.

I am enjoying the Blogs now and find them refreshing to listen to. I miss the true blue Aussie accent, fortunately I have not lost it as yet.

Other than my electronics background I also enjoy Astronomy and maybe incorporate both in my future. I have already carried out a small amount of work at the Murchison Widefield Array and enjoyed 2 weeks of a good hard slog. I am also a qualified AUSLAN (Australian Sign Language) interpreter but no longer work in the industry and enjoy woodworking and building things. At the time of writing I have in process a CNC machine, building bicycles for the family and many more.

Offline davyk

« Reply #884 on: February 04, 2013, 10:50:06 pm »
Hi guys,
I'm vYk and I was looking for a solution about a function generator I own. I found the answer in this forum:
the user Mechatrommer made a wonderfull work adding function to the software's device and another user (torch) gave me the link to download it.
Many thanks guys

Regards,
vYk
Kind regards,

vYk

Offline terryk87

• Contributor
« Reply #885 on: February 06, 2013, 04:56:37 pm »
Hello all,

I'm Terry Karlson, doing some electronics design and firmware consulting, based in Ontario, Canada.  This seems like a great place to exchange ideas and experience!  Looking forward to it.

-TK

Offline pb57

• Soon...
    • HMK
« Reply #886 on: February 07, 2013, 04:34:14 pm »
Hi all,

My name is Petter, I recently discovered the EEblog and forum while searching for a new oscilloscop on the net.
And is now the happy owner of a Rigol DS1052E scope. Thanks to Dave's product reviews.
Not yet updated the firmware (ver.00.02.06) to DS1102E. :-BROKE

I've had electronics as a hobby for 30 years and has worked with the production and test of electronic equiment
for 20 years. Most of the hobby electronics I'm doing is related to model railroad, analog and digital controllers etc.

If you look at the link in my profile to the modelrailroad club where I'm a member, you can see some of the things I'm working on these days.

Have found a lot of answers and ideas on this forum to help develop my hobby. Thanks.

Regards
Petter

Offline tcdrennen

• Express Manfacturing, Inc.
« Reply #887 on: February 07, 2013, 06:39:23 pm »
Hey people, nice forum.

I'm a test engineer for an EMS in the USA with operations in California and in China. We do a lot of failure analysis and debug for our customers so I get to work with a lot of different systems and circuits - DC through 2.4GHz, digital, analog, mixed signal.

I found the forum searching for info on the MasTech RCL meter but will be exploring the rest of the forum as time permits.

Offline nathancrum

• Contributor
« Reply #888 on: February 08, 2013, 08:24:37 pm »
Hello everyone,

My name is Nathan - I'm a mechanical engineer with about 10 years of experience in materials handling and vacuum thin film coating technologies (sputter magnetrons, ion sources, plasma beams, etc.).

I'm not actually sure how I got turned onto the EEVblog, but I've been watching the videos for awhile and especially like the power supply set - I finally came to the forum to see what happened (if anything) after the 12th installation..

My day job is mechanical, but I have quite a few electronics hobbies.  I'm pretty good with C & C++ and have been playing more and more with microcontrollers the last few years.  I am currently designing a 3D printer with a partner that's an EE and am enjoy learning in general about anything electrical.  I also like astrophotography, regular photography and time lapse photography.

Offline Huluvu

• Regular Contributor
    • ECM Home
« Reply #889 on: February 10, 2013, 04:02:37 pm »
Hi All,

My name is Arne, and while discovering the web regarding some Multimeter reviews/teardowns I found the EEVblog on YouTube  :-+
I'm an 41 Years old and Electronic Technician in an International Company.
Our R&D Location in Germany is developing OEM power supplies for Industrial and Medical Applications.

Since 5 Years i'm working for the Quality Department.
"Yeah, but no, but yeah, but no..."

Offline Goiano

« Reply #890 on: February 10, 2013, 08:47:41 pm »
Hello I'm from Brazil. I am currently studying electronics. I have a service here in Brazil repair TV, phone and notebook.
I really enjoyed the subject matter covered in the videos of our master administrator, and here in my country we lay technology.
Currently studying English for contacting people with an interest in electronics and programming. to be able to talk and exchange information and learn about the customs of other countries.
Best regards,

Cristian - Goiás - Brazil

Offline shaddai

« Reply #891 on: February 11, 2013, 02:19:58 am »
I'm todd, and I'm an audio geek. I've always had an underlying interest in electronics, have dabbled in analog electronics repair and now am tinkering with microcontrollers. So, here I am  ^-^

Offline Analogtech

• Contributor
« Reply #892 on: February 12, 2013, 09:59:39 pm »
Hello, I'm raul im 14 yrs old and i am currently studying in the 9th grade i like building analog circuits mostly HV powersupplys and SMPSs hopefully i can recive help on my projects and help people on theirs

Offline Psychaotix

« Reply #893 on: February 12, 2013, 10:51:56 pm »
Hello to everyone here.

I'm Gary, a 25 year old from South Australia. Electronics is more my hobby than a profession, one that I'm looking to get back into after being out of it for a while. Already, I've had some help with getting a suitable printer for Toner transfer masking. Hopefully I'll see you around!

Offline Orpheus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #894 on: February 14, 2013, 04:41:10 am »
I've been lurking for years. I can't believe I never registered. I always assumed I had, but my password registry has no record of it

I'm a molecular biologist and physician by training, but I always intended to be a biomedical inventor on the side. I was a builder, hobbyist and amateur scientist of all types growing up, and had intended to do biomedical engineering as an undergrad. Alas I APed out of basic calc/bio/chem/phys, so my first semester was all hard-core engineering  -- and as those of you who did E school know, that can be dry/dreary with none of the joy I knew from my hobbies -- especially circuit theory! I wouldn't have believed you could suck the fun out of that with an amorous vampire! The upper classmen assured me that it would be more of the same with maybe ONE optional practical course, especially in bio-med, because it had more required courses than any other major in the university

I dropped out and started a small business doing hardware/software solutions for the Apple ][ (the IBM PC didn't exist yet), which was the cool "open platform" of its time.: its cover was even held on with industrial Velcro, not screws, to encourage users to open it up. I quit developing for Apple when its focus shifted to the Mac, whose philosophy I abhorred. In my fanboy eyes, Apple made *itself* "Big Brother, around the time they presented the infamous Big Brother ad IMPLYING that IBM was! At least IBM let you install a hard drive. Apple wouldn't let Mac owners have hard drives for years, because Apple didn't make one--and you didn't dare risk voiding your Mac warranty, because early Mac power supplies might blow out every few months. (Apple II, III, and Lisa owners installed them anyway)

Electronics had always been a handy sideline for me, right up through medical school. I did lab designs for college research labs, and other projects, but it was just "one of those things you do" alongside any number of hobbies and skills:  chemistry, computers, cars... I was into everything (and not just things beginning with C) .. okay, "flying". There. That's not a "C"!

I did ultimately patent one quite commercially unsuccessful biomedical device, but it had nothing to do with electronics, and I'm not particularly interested in biological/medical applications now. I've just been returning to it on a hobby level, and in recent years, I have slowly been outfitting the proper electronics lab I always wanted -- but I've hardly done anything with it all. I tend to spend my limited hobby time fixing things (I can't stand to see things broken or needlessly discarded) and improvising solution -- my greatest joy.

I've been taking a lot of online courses (Agarwal's 6.002 at MIT, the Stanford AI course, a few Coursera CompSci, etc.) but as far as electronics goes, I've found myself doing pretty much what I always did: improvising, making modest PCBs as needed (for many reasons, I primarily use the photo resist method, with laser-printed acetate) I guess I'm looking for something big to throw myself into -- not a big project (pretty much any DIY CNC or rapid prototyping set-up can suck up all any hobbyist's time) but a field of interest.

Offline RodH

« Reply #895 on: February 14, 2013, 09:57:11 pm »
My name is Rod, I have a degree in electronics engineering technology from the University of Houston. I am retired, after having worked in broadcast television for some 45 years.

Offline Anquietas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #896 on: February 15, 2013, 12:17:19 am »
Hey everyone!

I am a 23 year old graduate student in Mathematics (specializing in Algebraic Geometry) who will soon get his degree and go on to study Molecular Biotechnology because he feels still young enough to do so; hopefully without losing sight of research in maths, though I think this is unavoidable short-term. I love all things interdisciplinary and I have recently (re-)discovered a special interest in electronics after tuning in on Dave's EEVBlog. I want to learn electronics design for its own picturesque sake (and a quite useful side effect might be that I will be able to design home made application-specific lab equipment for future research in biotech).

I am a total and utter beginner when it comes to practical electronics / electronics design. Dave has done a great job getting me wet over it (and esp. RF circuitry, but that's basically like alien technology to me at this point, and it's probably going to takes years of exposure to non-RF electronics design before I can start doing something in RF without it becoming an entirely hopeless undertaking). My main focus is on my academic studies, though, so I will have to relegate electronics to a weekend hobby for the time being. 

I hope I won't be bothering you guys with too many questions. :P

Best wishes,
Alex
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 06:08:58 pm by Anquietas »

Offline Herr R aus B

• Regular Contributor
    • World Trip 2012
« Reply #897 on: February 16, 2013, 11:29:13 am »
Hi, I am Axel from Berlin/Germany and just enjoy Dave's very special way of doing this Blog. I am a computer scientist and much more into photography than electronics, even though Dave managed to finaly make me understand some facts, that I never catched up with at university. So, I feel something like an autumn renaissance of electronics in myself.... *rhubarb*

:-+
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 11:32:54 am by Herr R aus B »

Offline Anquietas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #898 on: February 16, 2013, 05:40:35 pm »
Hi, I am Axel from Berlin/Germany and just enjoy Dave's very special way of doing this Blog. I am a computer scientist and much more into photography than electronics, even though Dave managed to finaly make me understand some facts, that I never catched up with at university. So, I feel something like an autumn renaissance of electronics in myself.... *rhubarb*

:-+

Ah, you are the guy who sent Dave the stunning photo calendar! :-+

( P.S. Grüße aus der Pfalz. ;) )

Offline Herr R aus B

• Regular Contributor
    • World Trip 2012
« Reply #899 on: February 16, 2013, 10:42:21 pm »

Ah, you are the guy who sent Dave the stunning photo calendar! :-+

( P.S. Grüße aus der Pfalz. ;) )

Stunning? Thanks...  :-) I just took some pictures of what got in my way :-) And I thought, Dave deserved getting one copy :-) See my web link for more pictures and blog on that stunning world trip :-)

(P.S.: Grüße zurück aus Preußen)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf