Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1445522 times)

Offline Dellarius

Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #900 on: February 18, 2013, 09:29:53 am »
Hai,

I'm James (19) and from Central Queensland, Australia.. not Austria. Alright, jokes aside I'm a Second year High Voltage Electrical apprentice for Bhp Billion. I work on the maintenance team working mainly on Marion and Bucyrus Erie Draglines and P&H Electric Shovels. On these equipment we maintain everything from the PLC systems to the 1 MW Electric motors. apart from these heavy machinery we also maintain all power lines, substations and electrical infrastructure on the mine site.

Since I was really young I had a bad habit of pulling electronic components apart and repurposing them. Got my first electronics hobby set after I rigged up a sensor from a McDonalds toy to the computers speaker so I knew who was entering my room. Parents weren't amused.

Dave's responsible for two hobbies and possibly my career in the electrical field.. though it's not electronics it's still electrical.
Since watching EEVblog in 2010 I've started to redo electronics kits and projects, started Geocaching and regrew my interest in how things work after becoming a zombie in highschool.

My other hobbies and interests are volunteering in the State Emergency Service (Volunteer rescue group, Australia wide,) Armature Radio, Video games, Hiking and climbing (Abseiling.) Also after watching Dave's multimeter review I really want to try Canyoning.

Offline Ozracing

• Contributor
« Reply #901 on: February 18, 2013, 06:40:10 pm »
Hi,

I am Aldas also im not very old, just 20 years old and im studying Electronics engineering at Kaunas Technology University.
I started to do all sorts of bad stuff to electronic devices when i was 6 years old, taking them apart and etc.  ;D
This turned out to be a habit of tinkering with stuff so decided that i do like to make, destroy, repair electronic devices
Now i just cant live without electronics so thats that about me :)

Regards,
Aldas

Offline mcufreak

« Reply #902 on: February 19, 2013, 08:14:00 pm »
Hello guyz, I'm an electrical engineering student from Bangladesh. Nice to meet you all. I love working with microcontrollers.  :-+

Offline K9SPY

« Reply #903 on: February 19, 2013, 11:36:43 pm »
Hello,

I am K.C. (yes like the Sunshine Band...) and I live in Kirby, Texas.. .which is essentially San Antonio.

I am an Electrical Engineering student and I have not come CLOSE to deciding my concentration. I plan to get a second major in Physics after my E.E. and go on to Master's and hopefully PhD in Physics. For E.E. I am currently considering RF, Control Systems, Electronic Materials and Devices, and Communications as concentrations.

I work as a Network Analyst at a local utility company and make a decent wage. I am able to afford parts and components, but not multi-GHz O-scopes or other expensive toys.Hence, I want to eventually become a professor! (and actually RESEARCH things...!)

Currently I am wrapped up being a ham radio enthusiast. I have to go home a climb 40 feet up a tree to bolt on an antenna tie-point. Then I have to climb up another! I already got the center one last week...

I just finished an RF-upconverter so that I can tune 50MHz and below on my Nooelec RTL Rafael Micro SDR dongle. Now I can receive from DC to 1.7GHz on my laptop and see the airwaves.

I built a Michigan Mighty Mite, a super-simplified 80m CW (morse code) transmitter a few weeks ago in old fashioned style on a nicely finished plank of wood with 2mm brass rod as the interconnect and whatever nice brass and old mica insulators I could find to pretty it up.

With the SDR and the super-simple transmitter, I plan to begin very gently and scientifically experimenting with radio and electronics in-general, observing how my changes affect the output, and reading for advice and tricks.

I have a very nice electronics and metal fab setup in my garage for building everything from radios to entire residential antenna towers.

I also have a lovely wife, (4) kids, (7) if you count my beloved dogs, and infinity if you count the rest of the animals out family has adopted!

K9SPY is my FCC Amateur Radio callsign. I recently got it on the license plate of our truck, car, and my dual-sport motorcycle.

This year I hope to have a home-built radio setup mounted in ammo cans on my Suzuki DRZ-400 for ARRL Field Day, where I will assume the role of using my "dirt bike" to get to the top of some random local peak to setup a relay point (repeater) to get emergency radio traffic out of a valley and off to whichever direction it is needed. I'll have to fabricate a suitable "luggage rack" along with some electronics to support the power needs on my VERY small bike.

Looking forward to lots of chats and no flames...!

kc
San Antonio, TX

Offline Herr R aus B

• Regular Contributor
    • World Trip 2012
« Reply #904 on: February 20, 2013, 01:32:29 pm »
I am K.C. (yes like the Sunshine Band...)

That's the way, uh hu uh hu, I like it, uh hu uh hu  O0

Offline N4-ES

« Reply #905 on: February 21, 2013, 04:53:00 am »
Hi, first post on the site, and very recent viewer of the EEVBlog channel. I was directed there by a friend who makes slick electronics for BMW motorcycles, when I asked him what DMM could replace my failed units... and WOW my eyes are wide open after watching Dave tear down all manner of electronics. Great teaching tool, I have some catching up to do, from college engineering courses 20 years ago.

I've written process control software (in LabVIEW) for the past 20 years, and have connected to so many test instruments I've lost count. Serial, TCP/IP, ModBus, GPIB... anything with a data port, I can get its data out and send back in a control scheme. But sometimes I also need to get my hands dirty with signals and circuits and soldering... it's all fun!

I saw that Dave has an Amazon link, and used that for the nice Fluke I'm getting to replace the dead DMMs, let's not even get into names, they were functional but cheap. Thanks, Dave, for the videos, and enjoy the 6% commission. I'll be enjoying my re-education in electronics.

- Andrew

Offline gianfranco

« Reply #906 on: February 21, 2013, 12:45:59 pm »
Hi everyone,
I'm Gianfranco from Italy. I'm 49 years old. I have a degree in electronic engineering at Politecnico di Torino. Now I'm working at Politecnico as a lab technician and supervisor. I collect measuring instruments ranging from early 1900 up to nowadays. In this moment I have about 1500 pieces (especially Hewlett Packard) but the collection is growing although I have no more space at home :palm:
I'm also an amateur radio station and iz1ici is my call. I hope to learn from the community a lot of hints to improve my skills in the beatiful world of electronics.
Nice to meet you all.
Gianfranco
gianfranco.albis@polito.it

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #907 on: February 21, 2013, 06:36:23 pm »
I'm Kev, 47 years old, electronics graduate and have been doing RF design professionally for over 25 years.

Currently working for myself, specializing in high power or low noise amplifiers in the low GHz region and also currently selling a lot of used test gear.

Offline Eunit

« Reply #908 on: February 22, 2013, 11:04:54 pm »
Hello from good ol Canada eh?.

I'm Ernie and I am a hobbyist. I am interested in automation and open source hardware design. Everything I know about electronics is from long hours of research using the google machine.
Compared to most or even all, I am a total newbie.

Offline metawops

« Reply #909 on: February 24, 2013, 09:15:06 pm »
Ahoi!  ;)
I'm Stefan from Germany.
I've got loads of hobbies and they come and go like sinus waves (with variable phase lengths per hobby  ;D)
One of it -- and a rather strong one -- is definitely electronics.
However, I'm the guy who came to it via computers (studied math & cs), then microcontrollers & the MAKE movement.
I'm currently getting my feet wet with my Arduino and my Raspberry Pi.
I'm loving  and learning electronics (again; had modular experiments sets as a teen) with Charles Platt's nice "MAKE:Electronics" book.
And I'm loving the 555 timer chip and shift registers and 4017 decade counters and 7-segment LEDs and and and ...
I've got a few projects in mind I want to build some day.
But for now it's learning, learning, learning.
My latest precious is my Voltcraft DSO-1062D oscilloscope. Absolutely loving it! Learning SO MUCH about circuits these days! Awesome!
Oh, and I'm sometimes writing about the things I'm learning -- in German, sorry: http://musicdiver.com/wordpress/category/elektronik/
All the best & take care!
Stefan.

Offline Technician

« Reply #910 on: February 25, 2013, 02:10:56 pm »
Hello everyone !

My name is Tomislav Mrla and I am an electronics technician employed at Ruder Boskovic Institute (natural sciences research institute in Zagreb, Croatia). My working place is small electronics repair/servicing (and very often research and development  :)) lab in mass spectrometry laboratory. In other words, lab in a lab. Most of the time I do analytical equipment servicing (mass spectrometers, photo-electron spectrometers, gas analyzers etc. ) and I am telling you, there is fun and exotic staff here !  When I started working here I could not believe the complexity of some equipment, but how could it be interesting otherwise ? :)

I joined the forum after months of watching excellent videos done by Mr. Jones. These videos are very educational, professional, full of useful content and some of my colleagues here like these very much.

I am looking forward to post on this forum.

Regards,

Tomislav

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 02:29:51 pm by Technician »

Offline BigWhig

« Reply #911 on: February 27, 2013, 06:27:23 pm »
Hello!

Jostein from Norway here. I'm working with marine automation systems. I've always been interested in anything that runs from a battery or a wall-socket. I'm planning to dive deeper into the world of electronics. First step is going through the basics again.

Cheers!

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #912 on: March 03, 2013, 05:41:06 pm »
Peace-upon-you, I'm Vegeta (true name is top secret ^_^) I'm a mechatronics engineer (final year) from Jordan.

I like Microcontrollers and I like to learn PCB design and later on FPGA design.

And I like to learn how to design a complete product (especially the enclosure stuff) and marketing it...

thanks...

Offline Adal

• Contributor
  • HAM, TEST GEAR REPAIR HOBBY
    • My HAM blog
« Reply #913 on: March 05, 2013, 08:34:22 pm »
Hello!

I´m Adalberto from México. I´m an  electronics test gear repair man  :-BROKE |O

For living I´m an electronics enginner. I have a lot of expertise  in cellular RF networks. From DAMPS to LTE   :-DD.

Instrument behavior: Instrument does not turn on
Instructions: The main board is probably defective. Replace it.

Offline Fezder

• Regular Contributor
  • Lean on, or was it learn on?
« Reply #914 on: March 07, 2013, 09:44:13 am »
Hey people,
I'm Atte,  currently 21 years old, EE student from Finland. My other education is carpenter. My hobbies and interests are electronics related: I make/design my own tinkers, try to repair different ''junk'' whatever comes at hand. Currently under repair is stereo transistor amp My other hobbiy is chip carving, which i do when there is time.
My equipment consitst pretty much all ''needy'' at the moment; dual trace analog scope, funktion generator, capacitance/esr meter, temp.controlled soldering iron (too many chinese cheapos have burned...), clamp meter, and couple basic multimeters. Of course all screwdrivers necessary. My next investment is hot air soldering station for SMD and other stuff. Current project (one of many) is coil testing circuit, which has adjustable current and frequency.

Thats pretty much it :).
Both analog/digital hobbyist, reparing stuff from time to time

Offline philpem

• Frequent Contributor
  • That Sneaky British Bloke
« Reply #915 on: March 07, 2013, 10:49:33 pm »
May as well say hi, such is the custom :D

So, yeah... I'm Phil - by trade I'm a software engineer, but in my off time I muck around with microcontrollers, motors, opamps and other electronic whizz-bang-ery. A couple of years ago I designed the DiscFerret disc archiving tool (www.discferret.com if you're interested in that) and that's kicked off an interest in FPGAs, CPLDs and 32bit ARM microcontrollers :)

Reckon that's about all there is to say really - I'm a typical Brit, can talk the hind legs off a donkey, but once you ask me to talk about myself I go silent!  ;D
Phil / M0OFX -- Electronics/Software Engineer
"Why do I have a room full of test gear? Why, it saves on the heating bill!"

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #916 on: March 07, 2013, 11:03:44 pm »
May as well say hi, such is the custom :D

Evening Phil -- nice to see you here -- for some reason I thought you were already a member!

Offline 2400Ws

« Reply #917 on: March 08, 2013, 07:26:17 am »
G`day all

A quick hello. As you may have guessed from my greeting i live in the land of oz.Have been a technician most of my life ( a few forays into other fields) working on most consumer items from calculators to TV`s ,projectors  and the like.Started my working life when LSI chips were just becoming common so that will give you an idea of my age ! Have just started (6mths) a new job working on  studio flash gear and cameras.

I have been reading the forum and watching the videos for about a year now and would like to thank Dave for a very informative and interesting site made that much better by the  helpful and intelligent members  in this  forum.

Cheers

Offline NewfieTechie

« Reply #918 on: March 08, 2013, 07:12:49 pm »
Hello! I have been a long time fan of the EEVBlog videos on YouTube. I am currently working on my Thesis to graduate from Electronic Engineering Technology.

Offline LloydAZ

« Reply #919 on: March 09, 2013, 08:25:49 am »
Hello from sunny Arizona!

I'm fairly new to electronics and want to learn more.  I work as a software developer and I have a Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems.

I've really enjoyed the YouTube videos for EEVBlogs and I'm looking forward to chatting with everyone and learning.

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #920 on: March 10, 2013, 04:38:56 am »
Hi All,

I'm a retired electrical engineer with 31 years of technical experience with our local telephone company.  My special interest is precise time & frequency systems like precision quartz oscillators and rubidium frequency standards.  I've been lurking for a few months and decided that it was time to join.

Ed

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #921 on: March 10, 2013, 04:58:15 am »
Hi Ed.

From one ed to another.

:)

(two ed's are better than one!)

iratus parum formica

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #922 on: March 10, 2013, 10:56:29 pm »
I am from  the East coast of North Carolina
A little bio since this is my first post.
I am 51 years old. Got into electronics when I was 12. Mostly into short wave listening so I build my own receivers back then.  Was into the CB craze of the 70’s. Still with it today.  I have worked for EF Johnson, General Electric, and Curtis Mathis.  I am a tube freak and love old school radios.  I repair and restore RF communication equipment as a small business.  Been an amateur (Ham) radio operator since the 90’s.
Some of my test gear is: IRF 1200S, Motorola Tone/frequency/deviation auto tune meter, Sencore CS-61 scope. Really thinking of a new Chinese DSO unit.

Ran into Dave on YouTube EEVblog a few weeks back, I love this guy. So nice to see someone with such a passion of electronics.  I am afraid guys like me (RF tube) are a dying breed.
Looking forward to reading more here.

Offline Quick5pnt0

• Contributor
    • RC Car News
« Reply #923 on: March 11, 2013, 02:49:05 am »
Not much to say, just a hobbyist who found this place from daves videos on youtube.

Offline Nemesis04

« Reply #924 on: March 11, 2013, 03:05:11 am »
Hi, long time lurker first time poster. Electronics interests me immensely and dable with a few side projects from time to time.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf