Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1445552 times)

Offline tmetc1121

Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #1800 on: December 05, 2015, 06:25:35 pm »
Hi all, I'm Tom and work in the automotive industry as an Electrical Systems Engineer. I am interested in starting an electronics hobby at home with my son. However I need to set up a basic lab in the basement first and in looking for an oscilloscope I stumbled on this great eevblog site. I'm really excited to start some fun father and son experiments and projects once I've got everything in place!

Offline alfishe

« Reply #1801 on: December 06, 2015, 01:06:25 am »
Hi, I'm Ilia. Work as a solution architect in software development, have engineering education background and currently working on some IoT projects both from hardware and software perspectives. Currently looking for starter equipment set for my home lab.

EEVblog is a great place where tons of highly useful and relevant information concentrated in a single place so for sure will participate in a community for a long time.

Offline eeadata

• Contributor
  • Tube - Germanium - Discrete . All about Past
« Reply #1802 on: December 06, 2015, 05:34:04 am »
Hi . I am Esref from Turkey. i am a civil engineer and electronics nerd. i am basicly in to analog audio and musical electrobic products. Also in tube electronics.

Offline go211

« Reply #1803 on: December 07, 2015, 12:16:04 am »
Hello from sunny Southern California! I am a software guy, but recently started tinker with hardware in my free time. I greatly enjoy Dave's videos (of cause, who wouldn't)!

Offline babryan

« Reply #1804 on: December 08, 2015, 01:39:26 am »
Hi! I'm an EE student in Florida with interest in embedded design and applications. I'm also interested in DIY audio and active loudspeaker design.

Offline FireFlower

• Regular Contributor
  • Wish had a cabin in Lappland
« Reply #1805 on: December 08, 2015, 03:36:03 pm »
jmegar324
joshforester
wonderfulpcb_sales
AlxDroidDev
Tech-indoorsman
dave_finch
rebucklives
soundhack
 tmetc1121
alfishe
 eeadata
go211
babryan

Welcome!

Offline theminor

« Reply #1806 on: December 09, 2015, 02:08:48 am »
Hi everybody. I just found this forum. It is a little overwhelming - a lot of information! I'm just a hobbiest - most everything I do is DIY, and I have grown up with electronics. When I was 10 or so, I built a 12 channel audio mixer using parts from Radio Shack (had problems with the pre-amp circuits, but I got there eventually). Most of my training back then came from the Forrest Mimms books they sold there. Anyway, thanks for a great community - glad to be a part of it.

Offline Vizir

« Reply #1807 on: December 09, 2015, 08:46:45 pm »
Hello all.

Long time lurker here, been reading up on reviews and discussions of scopes. Am a comp-sci major but got into hobby electronics. Now I wish I'd taken EE courses at college!

And, I'm sure I'm not the first to say this, but, EEVblog is an invaluable resource!  :-+

Offline Thorondor

• Contributor
« Reply #1808 on: December 10, 2015, 08:02:13 am »
Greetings all. I'm an IT guy who's trying to branch out into electronics - at least as a hobby. My hobbies and interests are quite diverse, but the common thread among them is being able to play with cool equipment ('toys').

I've been lurking in the EEVBlog forums for a while and I'm learning a lot just by being here; however I hope I can finally contribute to the community.

Offline davethecipo

« Reply #1809 on: December 10, 2015, 12:07:17 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've been following the youtube channel for years. I love Dave's rants  >:D
I'm a newbie in electronics and a Materials and Nanotechnology Engineering student.

I'm playing around with LTSpice for a board I'd like to build, therefore you'll probably see me in the newbie section soon.

Davide Olianas

Offline highlux

• Contributor
« Reply #1810 on: December 10, 2015, 03:03:16 pm »
I'm Dave. from St. Louis area.   I'm fascinated by guitar amps and electronics.   Here to learn.

Offline RIS

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1811 on: December 10, 2015, 08:48:39 pm »
greetings gang   Im just snooping around looking for answers

Offline devpeeps

« Reply #1812 on: December 11, 2015, 01:48:39 am »
I started out my career in Electronics (Avionics), and then went into Semiconductor Maintenance.. and then I got stupid and moved to I.T. I'm now getting back into electronics as a hobby, have been a HAM for quite a while, and starting to ramp up again. Thanks for having me.

Offline FJHookah

• Contributor
« Reply #1813 on: December 11, 2015, 08:58:18 pm »
Greetings to the House....

How did I land here you ask?  Well, let me share the short version;

As a young lad, about the age of 18, I had the pleasure of speaking with a US Navy Recruiter. He asked me what I would like to do in the Navy, to which I replied simply (after having recently watched a new movie called 'Top Gun'), that I wanted to work on the F-14 Tomcat. As you can imagine, he quickly smiled, showing his bright white teeth while voicing his enthusiasm with my reply. That's how it all got started. During the following 7 years I would enjoy a couple of years of electronics training and about 5 years of working with Avionics I-Level maintenance/repair. And for anyone wondering... yes, I did get my wish.... working on the F-14 Tomcat and the S3 Viking.  Realizing there was no money to be made in the military, I left after 7yrs and began a career in IT which I still enjoy today.

I currently reside in Dallas,Texas (USA).  I've been a HAM radio operator since 1998. Recently, a buddy of mine, also a HAM operator, peaked my interest with home-brew electronics and the associated test equipment he uses. Well, needing a fresh distraction (hobby to sink cash and time into, haha), I decided to start putting together a home electronics lab. I've amassed this home-lab over the span of the previous three weeks, with what has seemed like daily UPS deliveries along with the associated depletion of my bank account funds.  I've included a photo of the new lab.  My only regret thus far, is not knowing about the TEquipment discount code 3 weeks ago! *chuckle*

After many, many hours of research, I deciding to start this lab with Rigol equipment. The specs are good and the prices are great. Thus far, the lab consists of the following gear;
  • DSG815 - RF Generator
  • DSA815TG - Spectrum Analyzer
  • DS2070A - Oscilloscope
  • DP832 - Power Supply
  • DM3068 - Bench DMM
  • DG1032z - Function Generator
  • TrippLite 25A DC Power Supply (13.8v) - For HAM radios
  • Hakko FX-951 Soldering Station
  • Fluke 117 - Handheld Meter
  • BK Precision 8610 - DC Load (On-Order)

1994 was the last time I operated an O-Scope. I have no doubt that I'll be full of questions, as I learn how to use all this new gear. Thanks for your patience, and thanks for this great online forum.

Cheers,

Steve 

Offline AlxDroidDev

• Frequent Contributor
    • Arduino Web Brasil
« Reply #1814 on: December 11, 2015, 09:14:02 pm »
(...), to which I replied simply (after having recently watched a new movie called 'Top Gun'), that I wanted to work on the F-14 Tomcat. (...)

Top Gun came out in 1986, and I was 12 then. Needless to say that a few weeks after I saw the movie, I had a huge poster of the F14 in my bedroom. That is one of the sexiest planes ever built, in my very humble opinion. The closest I got to it was in the 1992 Miami Air Show (I was an exchange student back then, in the US) . I got to be inside one, and saw one doing a supersonic fly by in very low altitude. That is a moment I will NEVER forget.

Congrats on the very nice and neat lab!
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from." (Andrew S. Tanenbaum)

Offline graciaj

« Reply #1815 on: December 12, 2015, 12:06:48 pm »
Hi, Im located in mid USA. My background is software development and systems engineering for the past 18 years. Most of my software is for engineering, manufacturing and project management processes.

I have always being interested on electronics but hated formulas back when on college....

My interest grew again due to building rc planes and drones... that made me want to take the endevour of learning electronics.

a few months ago bought several book: Practical Electronics for Inventors, Make: electronics, Make: more electronics, Make: Analog Synthesizer,Make: Electronics Encyclopedia vol 1 & 2. and McGraw Hill Circuit Encyclopedia Vol 4

also got and old 20mhz analog oscope and stock on passive and active components from ebay.

for learning electronics in a practical way choose as a project build a modular analog synthesizer.

have been learning, but I feel I have just started to scratch the surface

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #1816 on: December 13, 2015, 02:44:22 pm »
(...), to which I replied simply (after having recently watched a new movie called 'Top Gun'), that I wanted to work on the F-14 Tomcat. (...)

Congrats on the very nice and neat lab!
Yeah, it's a really nice one :)
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #1817 on: December 13, 2015, 06:44:58 pm »
Rigol should send you a holiday gift, lol.

Sent from mobile device.... Keeping it short and mis-spelled

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline fang64

« Reply #1818 on: December 15, 2015, 10:46:22 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I've been watching EEVBlog for a long time, finally decided to join the forums. I've had a long standing interest in Electronics and more recently into RF.  I occasionally repair ham gear, but spend most of my time working on random electronics projects, when I have it.

Offline HarlanKing

• Contributor
  • Electrician, Musician, Hobbyist
    • MakerMind
« Reply #1819 on: December 15, 2015, 10:51:17 pm »
Hi everyone! Nice to find an active forum with like-minded people!

I'm a 24 year old electrician, dad to be (~ 1week!) and all around electronics enthusiast. Working in my trade has made me want to understand more about electricity, and i figure the best way to learn is by taking things down to a smaller scale.

I'm currently learning out of "The Art of Electronics" and supplementing with "Practical Electronics for Inventors" when i don't understand a concept from the former. So far, they've been a great learning duo!

I have a small lab set up with basic components, breadboard and a Fluke 87-V with a 116 as my backup. I'm trying to do labs while learning out of books to really cement the key concepts.

Looking forward to meeting all you fine people!

Harlan King.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1820 on: December 15, 2015, 11:44:33 pm »

I'm a 24 year old electrician, dad to be (~ 1week!) and all around electronics enthusiast. Working in my trade has made me want to understand more about electricity, and i figure the best way to learn is by taking things down to a smaller scale.

I'm currently learning out of "The Art of Electronics" and supplementing with "Practical Electronics for Inventors" when i don't understand a concept from the former. So far, they've been a great learning duo!

I have a small lab set up with basic components, breadboard and a Fluke 87-V with a 116 as my backup. I'm trying to do labs while learning out of books to really cement the key concepts.

Harlan King.

Welcome. This is a great place to share ideas, get help, and generally discuss.

I love my copy of Art of Electronics and refer to it frequently. With that said, I would likely have been baffled by it if it was my first book. What type of things are you hoping to accomplish as you learn electronics? Repairs? Designs? Analog? Digital? All of the above?

The reason I ask is because I have always been interested in electronics and started building kits and reading books when I was about 8. I didn't really learn anything very useful until I picked an interest and went after it until it worked. Once I got through one small-ish project, the flood gates were opened. I had learned how to learn. Now, when I think of a project, I don't need to know how I will do it, I only need to know that I can learn to do it.

Offline HarlanKing

• Contributor
  • Electrician, Musician, Hobbyist
    • MakerMind
« Reply #1821 on: December 16, 2015, 12:05:50 am »

Harlan King.

Welcome. This is a great place to share ideas, get help, and generally discuss.

I love my copy of Art of Electronics and refer to it frequently. With that said, I would likely have been baffled by it if it was my first book. What type of things are you hoping to accomplish as you learn electronics? Repairs? Designs? Analog? Digital? All of the above?

The reason I ask is because I have always been interested in electronics and started building kits and reading books when I was about 8. I didn't really learn anything very useful until I picked an interest and went after it until it worked. Once I got through one small-ish project, the flood gates were opened. I had learned how to learn. Now, when I think of a project, I don't need to know how I will do it, I only need to know that I can learn to do it.
Yeah, it really does seem like an active community geared towards helping people out! That's refreshing..

I plan on learning all of the above. I have a year of electronic engineering technology under my belt, so I'm familiar with a lot of the basics. While going through AoE, I'll recognize terms or concepts and it slowly comes back to me (schooling was 6 years ago).

I agree, AoE isn't for the absolute beginner.

Do you find hands-on learning to be more important than textbooks/references while learning electronics?

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1822 on: December 16, 2015, 12:23:54 am »
This is almost needing to be its own thread.....

I personally go with a full immersion technique to learning. I surround myself in reference materials, data sheets, videos, and sit at my bench experimenting. Every time I stumble on a new concept, I stop and figure it out. So many times, it's not necessarily the circuit I am learning but something like how to accurately measure and interpret a characteristic of the circuit. Then, I end up on a tangent learning about some piece of test equipment and how to use it before going back to my actual project.

I also love to read about projects and problems that others are doing even when they are something I would never build. Electronics has a TON of repeating motifs so learning from someone elses struggles has been super helpful for me to fast track my learning. I am very thankful for those that ask intelligent questions because intelligent questions get intelligent responses and that is the juiciest part of this community. Many of the questions asked are about things I didn't even know I didn't know.

Offline deepfryed

• Supporter
« Reply #1823 on: December 16, 2015, 04:17:52 am »
Hi,

I'm an electronics newbie based in Melbourne and finding the forums and Dave's videos very educational.

Offline Robinrayner

« Reply #1824 on: December 17, 2015, 08:19:36 am »
Hi now retired in France I have been in electronics almost all of my life. Firstly in the TV and theatre industry lighting control computers service at first followed by rand d then in to selling test equipment.back to rand d and then into power supplies and batteries.I have worked for colortran stc ,bnos and annesman. Now my passion is restoring old valve radios and early transistors. I came to this blog while searching for info on my intermittent v1065 Hitachi scope.and although I have now identified it as a thermal problem. It still bugs me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf