Author Topic: NEW 100MHz Keysight Scope Release on 1st March 2017  (Read 238613 times)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: NEW 100MHz Keysight Scope Release on 1st March 2017
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2017, 07:53:34 pm »
Where it appears they've chosen to use an Ext trig for CS, right ?
If so, it's a feature that can be added in FW for any DSO with a Ext trig in.  :)

If it decodes whatever's in memory then no FW update is needed. Trigger using CS and decode the captured CLOCK and MOSI data.

Most SPI data is bidirectional though. Normally you want to get data back from your slaves. Very few things will be purely master->slave with no reply. SPI with two channels isn't very useful.

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2017, 08:09:51 pm »
Anyone noticed the DVM option is free on registration of the scope? The FFT has phase as well as magnitude? (and can we have that on the 2000X series as well, please Mr Keysight?) The bode plot function on the wavegen equipped models? And the ADC is 2Gsps on the 100MHz versions, not 1GHz split 4 ways like on the hacked Rigols?

Really, it all depends on the price...

Offline memset

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2017, 08:51:43 pm »
Oops.

Ok, an announcement finally came a little earlier :)

Nice, cut down 2000X series. Too bad no MSO capabilities.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2017, 08:53:32 pm »
If it's $650 as per the Rupee document then I don't think this will in any way dissuade those to buy the 1054Z. Memory depth looks low compared to the Rigol to me...
And that would be $650 for the educational model (limited to 50 MHz without upgrade option, and probably limited to customers in the educational market). I would assume around $1000 for the 70 MHz "regular" model.

You will be pleasantly surprised

The following users thanked this post: vinicius.jlantunes

Offline memset

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2017, 09:02:18 pm »
Russian retailer's pricelist hints for possible US retail price of ~$800 for DSOX1102G (and ~$1750 from that retailer in Russia).

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2017, 09:14:07 pm »
If it's $650 as per the Rupee document then I don't think this will in any way dissuade those to buy the 1054Z. Memory depth looks low compared to the Rigol to me...
And that would be $650 for the educational model (limited to 50 MHz without upgrade option, and probably limited to customers in the educational market). I would assume around $1000 for the 70 MHz "regular" model.
But even then there are better options out there. Buying a crippled Keysight is just paying for the badge but it gets you nowhere:

What was that about 'Scrap the toys?>:D
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2017, 10:12:26 pm »
I was under the impression that all you have to do is to hit the Stop button on the InfiniiVision.

But the whole memory thing is not so important to me so I'm maybe the wrong person to discuss this.
Rather than stop, which leaves the last acquisition (with its memory halved from the ping-pong buffer) on the screen you press single and then it captures the next trigger with the full memory depth.

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2017, 10:22:02 pm »
I was under the impression that all you have to do is to hit the Stop button on the InfiniiVision.

But the whole memory thing is not so important to me so I'm maybe the wrong person to discuss this.
Rather than stop, which leaves the last acquisition (with its memory halved from the ping-pong buffer) on the screen you press single and then it captures the next trigger with the full memory depth.

Yep, I actually did a quick video about this:

http://bit.ly/2bx0Jrr

The following users thanked this post: Someone, Kean

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2017, 10:56:21 pm »

Are you serious? The 'trace of interest' is gone if you do that!  :palm: :palm:
That is the whole problem: You keep switching between single and continuous mode with this half baked memory solution. It is just too tedious and time consuming.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 11:02:36 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2017, 11:00:11 pm »

Yep, I actually did a quick video about this:

http://bit.ly/2bx0Jrr
What would be useful, especially for less frequent trigger events,  is a "repeated single" mode, which would be the equivalent of pressing "single" after each trigger. Maybe press and hold the single button to activate this mode?
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline scopeman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2017, 04:01:28 am »
All that new scope and still multplexed cursor, zoom and vertical controls. Why does every new scope have to be run like a damn video game?
Why not spend a few extra dollars and give me individual controls?
W3OHM

Offline Faith

• Supporter
« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2017, 04:15:21 am »
Actually, wasn't Keysight supposed to be painting everything black now?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/is-keysight-changing-colours-beige-to-black/

Or is that going to be reserved for the MegaZoom V? :horse:
<3 ~Faith~

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2017, 06:31:22 am »

That is the whole problem: You keep switching between single and continuous mode with this half baked memory solution. It is just too tedious and time consuming.

I'd rather have the faster update and processing in the background whilst it's taking another capture. Losing half my memory isn't such a big deal when I know that if I want the full memory I can just hit the single button or deliberately set up a single shot event.
Granted, in modern terms, the 4MS memory in the Megazoom IV is long in the tooth. But I've hardly ever wanted/needed more memory than the Keysight offers anyway, but I appreciate the responsiveness every time I used it.

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2017, 06:34:56 am »
Actually, wasn't Keysight supposed to be painting everything black now?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/is-keysight-changing-colours-beige-to-black/

Or is that going to be reserved for the MegaZoom V? :horse:

The probes are black :)
VE7FM

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2017, 07:08:22 am »
Anyone noticed the DVM option is free on registration of the scope? The FFT has phase as well as magnitude? (and can we have that on the 2000X series as well, please Mr Keysight?) The bode plot function on the wavegen equipped models?
Not looking good:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/frequency-response-with-a-tek-md3000/msg1048001/#msg1048001

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #115 on: January 31, 2017, 07:48:16 am »
And the ADC is 2Gsps on the 100MHz versions, not 1GHz split 4 ways like on the hacked Rigols?

2Gsps on both channel, It does not half when the 2nd channel is switched on.
They must be using the full 4Gsps capability of the ASIC. Nice.

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116 on: January 31, 2017, 08:19:21 am »

Is there an estimated schedule, so we can expect a review/teardown video?   :popcorn:

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2017, 08:46:51 am »

I'd rather have the faster update and processing in the background whilst it's taking another capture. Losing half my memory isn't such a big deal when I know that if I want the full memory I can just hit the single button or deliberately set up a single shot event.
Granted, in modern terms, the 4MS memory in the Megazoom IV is long in the tooth. But I've hardly ever wanted/needed more memory than the Keysight offers anyway, but I appreciate the responsiveness every time I used it.
I own an  Agilent DSO7104A and it is sitting on a shelve. Double buffering isn't a Keysight specific feature because most (all?) DSOs use double buffering  but simply fit doube the memory it says on the badge (which sometimes doubles the number of segments in segmented recording). Granted I don't need deep memory all the time but if you need to jump through hoops and start pushing buttons before capturing each trace in order to use all the memory then something is wrong.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 08:51:01 am by nctnico »

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #118 on: January 31, 2017, 08:50:56 am »

Is there an estimated schedule, so we can expect a review/teardown video?   :popcorn:
I think the clue is in the title of this thread  :)
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #119 on: January 31, 2017, 09:26:55 am »
I own an  Agilent DSO7104A and it is sitting on a shelve. Double buffering isn't a Keysight specific feature because most (all?) DSOs use double buffering  but simply fit doube the memory it says on the badge. Granted I don't need deep memory all the time but if you need to jump through hoops and start pushing buttons before capturing each trace in order to use all the memory then something is wrong.

Jumping through hoops like pushing the Single button instead of Stop?

If you are using the stop button then you are generally looking at a triggered repetitive signal, so it makes virtually no difference between pushing the Single button instead of the Stop button.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2017, 09:28:47 am »

I think the clue is in the title of this thread  :)

A teaser will come sooner...

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2017, 09:35:57 am »

I own an  Agilent DSO7104A and it is sitting on a shelve. Double buffering isn't a Keysight specific feature because most (all?) DSOs use double buffering  but simply fit doube the memory it says on the badge (which sometimes doubles the number of segments in segmented recording). Granted I don't need deep memory all the time but if you need to jump through hoops and start pushing buttons before capturing each trace in order to use all the memory then something is wrong.
Because your lightning-fast reaction time beats the Keysight's trigger system every time?  :palm:

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2017, 09:58:03 am »
No. For many measurements you'll want to capture just one event. Like a UART message or certain signal. Usually this means pressing buttons on a generator, closing a switch, clicking a button in a GUI, etc. Having to also press a button on the oscilloscope to arm it just wastes time and adds extra room for error (or annoyance when putting the probe onto the test point also produces a trigger and you need to re-arm the scope once more). If you can let the oscilloscope stay in continuous trigger mode instead of single the scope does what it should do without needing manual arming and thus save time and work more comfortably.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 10:01:42 am by nctnico »

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2017, 10:14:14 am »
Because your lightning-fast reaction time beats the Keysight's trigger system every time?  :palm:
We've been here before. If its something happening frequently the realtime is nice and you press single to get a longer record, if its something rare but you still want the longer record press single. Some people get really worked up over their workflow and specific methods (the auto trigger timeout differences etc). I like using all sorts of scopes and appreciate the idea of providing as much memory as possible given the current configuration rather than synthetically limiting it to the worst case in all cases, it keeps marketing happy with a big headline specification but you're not missing out on anything.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2017, 11:13:45 am »
No. For many measurements you'll want to capture just one event. Like a UART message or certain signal. Usually this means pressing buttons on a generator, closing a switch, clicking a button in a GUI, etc. Having to also press a button on the oscilloscope to arm it just wastes time and adds extra room for error (or annoyance when putting the probe onto the test point also produces a trigger and you need to re-arm the scope once more). If you can let the oscilloscope stay in continuous trigger mode instead of single the scope does what it should do without needing manual arming and thus save time and work more comfortably.

But in that case you STILL have to reach up to the scope and press the STOP button!
What's the difference between pressing the STOP button and the SINGLE button when your signal is re-triggering all the time?
Your argument seems to be almost entirely without merit.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf