Author Topic: Hantek 6022BE 20MHz USB DSO  (Read 852375 times)

Offline quantumvolt

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Hantek 6022BE 20MHz USB DSO
« Reply #600 on: May 11, 2014, 11:32:17 pm »
@ Merlyn, Rick

With a P-P voltage of some 58 volt (or somewhere there) and a 'triangular tendency sine-like' shape, it is OK to use a crest-factor 1.5 (appr. SQRT(2)). This gives an RMS voltage around 58/(2x1.5)= 19.3 volt.

Acordingly - the DMM and the Hantek SW shows sound results. The quoted OpenHantek value of some 6 volt is a SW bug (maybe division by some 3-like number 2 times  ::)  :-//  :scared: (6.5x3x3=58.5)).

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #601 on: May 12, 2014, 05:15:36 am »
@ Merlyn, Rick

With a P-P voltage of some 58 volt (or somewhere there) and a 'triangular tendency sine-like' shape, it is OK to use a crest-factor 1.5 (appr. SQRT(2)). This gives an RMS voltage around 58/(2x1.5)= 19.3 volt.

Acordingly - the DMM and the Hantek SW shows sound results. The quoted OpenHantek value of some 6 volt is a SW bug (maybe division by some 3-like number 2 times  ::)  :-//  :scared: (6.5x3x3=58.5)).

Good to know.  I would have wasted time really calculated the root mean square a data point at a time if I exported the data - of course, that would still be an estimate since the data points are discrete whereas the voltage change is continuous.

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #602 on: May 13, 2014, 05:00:23 am »
I just got done setting up my 6022BE for use with my curve tracer. The definition of the XY images is not as good as I hoped. I think part of the reason is noise interference and most of the reason is the DPI used to draw the images. I was able to improve the noise situation by using ferrites on the cables interfacing the curve tracer to the scope and constructing the adjustable voltage dividers used to calibrate the curve tracer's output on a very small PC board. I don't know if it's possible to alter the DPI used to draw the images by recoding something in the software, maybe RichardK can answer that!

The attached images illustrate the results I got. The first two images show the calibration screen, one of them is from my Owon SDS7102 to illustrate the difference in definition and DPI. The next image shows the IV curve for an UF4007 rectifier I obtained with the 6022BE. Here the Curve tracer is set to 0.1V/Div Horizontal and 20mA/Div Vertical. The curve shows that the Fwd Voltage reaches 1V at about 120mA. The last two images show a sample set of IV curves for an NPN transistor. here again one of the images is from my Owon SDS7102 to illustrate the difference in definition and DPI.

In the end, although I think the 6022BE is usable for this purpose, the quality of the images it produces is well below what I can get with other equipment I already own. So I no longer plan to replace the dedicated CRO I've been using for this purpose with it. On the other hand, I plan to use the 6022BE as a quick way of capturing an image if the Owon is not available.

Next I plan to explore other capabilities and limitations of the 6022BE in more detail. So, in the hope that it may be helpful for the software and documentation development effort, I'll be posting my findings as I go along.

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #603 on: May 16, 2014, 03:25:16 am »
Today I was trying to determine the 6022BE's limits associated with low level high frequency signals. With a maximum sampling rate of 48MS/s (1 sample every 20ns), I didn't expect faithful reproduction of 20MHz signals (2.5 samples per cycle). Hoped for mediocre reproduction of 10MHz signals (5 samples per cycle), and fairly good reproduction of 5MHz signals (10 samples per cycle). The scope performed reasonably close to these expectations depending on the setting of the time base.

One unexpected peculiarity is that at settings faster than 2us/div the scope adds additional data points next to the real time samples. It seems that this mechanism is designed to enhance the display of high frequency logic signals (rectangular signals). Unfortunately, it also has the effect of distorting, for example, sine waves, and making them appear as step waves. I tried to illustrate this behavior with the attachments.

The attached images were obtained using an RF signal generator set to 10MHz 33mVpp with a sine wave output signal. To get a viable display I had to set the probe to X1 and the scope to 20mV/Div. Since the probe's bandwidth at X1 is 6MHz, the signals displayed are considerably less than 33mVpp:

#1 through #1c - Here I captured the 10MHz signal with the time base set to 2us/div and with the scope stopped I changed the time base to 50ns/div. Since the measured values on all of these images are mostly way off, I used the cursors to show the frequency and amplitude. The reason I used the stock software for these images is that the PR18 cursors don't yield the correct frequency (see #1b). Note that on #1c the expected number of samples (about 5 per cycle) are present.

#2 through #2b - Here I captured the 10MHz signal with the time base set to 1us/div and with the scope stopped I changed the time base to 50ns/div. Note on #2a that the sine wave is starting to look like a step wave. Also note on #2b the extra data points, the total appears to be about 10 per cycle.

#3 - Here I captured the 10MHz signal with the time base set to 500ns/div and with the scope stopped I changed the time base to 50ns/div. Note that even more data points are present now.

#4 through #4a - Here I captured the 10MHz signal with the time base set to 200ns/div and with the scope stopped I changed the time base to 50ns/div. Note that even more data points are present now. Also note on #4a the appearance of the signal, now definitely looks like a step wave.

So it seems to me that for the most faithful reproduction when viewing signals other than rectangular waves, it would be better to capture the signal with the time base set to 2us/div or slower.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 03:18:33 pm by TomC »

Offline lapeyroua

« Reply #604 on: May 16, 2014, 05:44:24 am »
Hello TomC
The input level is too low.
2 LSB max !  The scope will only display 5 values : 0, 4mV, 8mV, -4mV -8mV.
If you reduce the input to 1LSB ( roughly 4mV), you will get pure square wave...
See the diagram on page 16 of the OpenHantek UM.

You could get an optimum display using a 500mV input (1V pp).

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #605 on: May 16, 2014, 01:30:52 pm »
Hello TomC
The input level is too low.
2 LSB max !  The scope will only display 5 values : 0, 4mV, 8mV, -4mV -8mV.
If you reduce the input to 1LSB ( roughly 4mV), you will get pure square wave...
See the diagram on page 16 of the OpenHantek UM.

You could get an optimum display using a 500mV input (1V pp).
Thanks a lot for your response,

My RF generator doesn't produce larger signals, however, using my audio generator, which can produce about 4Vpp, I saw pretty much the same effect at around 100KHz. Next I'm going to try my function generator which goes up to 2MHz with both sine and square waves. I hope that shows whether the effect still holds true for larger signals! :)

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #606 on: May 17, 2014, 04:44:08 am »
This is a follow up to post #603. As pointed out by lapeyroua, the input level at the BNC has an influence on the effect of the additional data points generated when the time base is set to faster than 2us. Unfortunately, I don't have an RF generator capable of 1Vpp at 10MHz, so I can't make a direct comparison to the images on post #603. Instead I'm using a function generator at its maximum frequency of about 2.2MHz. For the attached images the output is set to 1Vpp and the function to sine wave.

To get 1Vpp at the BNC the probe is set to X1 on the images so identified by the filename. For reference, the probe is set to X10 on the last few images (as indicated by the filename), note that in this case the input level at the BNC is only 100mVpp.

#1 through #1b - were obtained with my Owon SDS7102 just to show how the signal appears, first captured at 1GS/s and subsequently at 50MS/s which is close to the 6022BE's max of 48MS/s.

#2 through #5a - were obtained with the probe set to X10 (1Vpp at the BNC) and were captured at various time base settings as indicated by the filenames. With the scope stopped the time base was then changed to 50ns/div. Although I still see some distortion in waveforms captured at faster than 2us/div, the effect is nowhere nearly as bad as with the low level signals on post #603.

Note that I did try input levels at the BNC of up to 11Vpp, at which point there is clipping by the protection circuit in the scope's front end. However, at a level just below 10Vpp, where there is no clipping, the distortion caused by the additional data points is hardly noticeable at 50ns/div.

#6 through #7a - were obtained with the probe set to X10 (100mVpp at the BNC) to show the difference in the level of distortion with a low level signal. The first two images were captured at 2us/div and with the scope stopped the time base was then changed to 50ns/div to show how the signal looks without the additional data points. The last two images were captured at 50ns/div and as can be seen the distortion caused by the additional data points results in a very noticeable step wave.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 04:59:42 am by TomC »

Offline lapeyroua

« Reply #607 on: May 17, 2014, 06:08:37 am »
To TOMC #606
Could you use the RichardK's OpenHantek software ? I'm really more confident in his version than the Hantek's one.

Looking at picture #7a, I would say : not too bad for this low price hardware. (taking into account the noise and distorsion) :
As each dot is visualised as a line, the picture is confusing. But if you consider the start of each small horizontal line as the real dot, the curve is better and you will no more see additional data points.

A good way to determine weither distorsion comes from harware or software would be to visualize the signal close to the AD9288, with the Owon...

Offline jomor

« Reply #608 on: May 17, 2014, 01:51:21 pm »
OpenHantek does not work on my laptop (Toshiba U300,windows 7), it is very very slow and it crashes with access violation messages when i try to select what to show on the measuring window.

Hantek's software works well, except for the noise and inaccurate readings issue: I measure the output of a 5V voltage regulator (which I verify at 4.99V with a high accuracy voltmeter) and it shows 5.17Volts. One or two times I managed to get the exact reading of 4.99Volts with hantek's software and that time the line was completely clear straight line at 4.99Volts with no noise at all!!!! Then I touch the probe on another point of the circuit where it has 9V ac and I hit the Auto button and the noise comes back on the 9v sinewave, I put the probe back to the 5v dc point and it shows again 5.17Volts with noise.

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #609 on: May 17, 2014, 04:17:21 pm »
To TOMC #606
Could you use the RichardK's OpenHantek software ? I'm really more confident in his version than the Hantek's one.

Looking at picture #7a, I would say : not too bad for this low price hardware. (taking into account the noise and distorsion) :
As each dot is visualised as a line, the picture is confusing. But if you consider the start of each small horizontal line as the real dot, the curve is better and you will no more see additional data points.

A good way to determine weither distorsion comes from harware or software would be to visualize the signal close to the AD9288, with the Owon...
Hi lapeyroua,

I agree that the 6022BE is a pretty good deal considering the price! :)

I did use both software versions for many of the tests and the images were the same. For this particular series of tests the stock software was more convenient because the options I was using most often were just a click away. Also, the stock software cursor function for frequency is more accurate on X1 than PR18 and the measure functions seem to be a little more accurate at times. Later today I'll try to repeat #6 through #7a with the open software and post them.

I suspect that the mechanism for adding extra data points is in the firmware. I also suspect that it is there due to the fact that this scope seems to be basically the same as the 6022BL except for the missing components in the circuit board. So it would stand to reason that it would be designed to enhance the display of logic signals.

I haven't taken apart my unit yet, but let me know specifically what you have in mind as far as scoping inside of it with the Owon and I'll see what I can do in the next few days!

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #610 on: May 18, 2014, 04:09:59 am »
The attachments to this post are a repeat of the images #6 through #7a on post #606. However, these new images were rendered using the Open Software PR18. The test equipment was setup just as described on post #606. While comparing these images to the ones rendered with the stock software, it seems to me that these new images exhibit slightly more distortion.

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #611 on: May 18, 2014, 05:40:31 am »
Today I was exploring in more detail what happens at maximum and minimum input signals.

First I wanted to see what happens when you drive the input with a signal greater than 10Vpp. For this test I set the function generator to 2.2MHz at 11.5Vpp and sine function. The results can be seen on attachments #1 and #1a. Notice that the signal is clipped to around 10.3Vpp.

Next I wanted to see how the signal appeared at a level just below clipping. For this test I lowered the generator's output to 9.8Vpp. The results can be seen on attachments #1b and #1c. Notice that on this high level signal, although it was captured at 50ns/div, the distortion caused by the extra data points is barely perceptible.

The rest of the tests illustrate what happens with either a 50 ohm terminator or nothing connected to the BNC. On this scope the Base Line Noise seems to be the same in either case. To check if the BLN displayed by the 6022BE was actually present at the BNC, I connected the Owon to it. In every case the signal displayed by the Owon didn't resemble what the 6022BE was displaying and the amplitude of the noise displayed was way less than what was displayed by the 6022BE.

I performed this test on all the time base settings, but I'm only posting images of the area where I found some unexpected peculiarities.

#2 through #2b - This was captured at 5us/div, then with the scope stopped the time base was changed to 200ns/div to show the image in more detail. The third image is what the Owon was seeing at the BNC while I was performing the capture. Note that the BLN has both positive and negative pulses. Although not shown in this capture, once in a while there is a double positive pulse. Also note that the expanded images look trapezoidal. These characteristics are similar at lower time base settings. However, the frequency of the signal seems to be lower as the sample rate decreases.

#3 through #3b - This was captured at 2us/div, then with the scope stopped the time base was changed to 200ns/div to show the image in more detail. The third image is what the Owon was seeing at the BNC while I was performing the capture. Note that the BLN has only positive pulses, this is the only time base setting where I observed this peculiarity. Also note the double positive pulse, as in the previous case this happens infrequently, but for this capture I set the trigger higher to make sure I caught it. Also note that in the expanded image some of the pulses have a flat top.

#4 through #4b - This was captured at 1us/div, then with the scope stopped the time base was changed to 100ns/div to show the image in more detail. The third image is what the Owon was seeing at the BNC while I was performing the capture. The positive part of this image is similar to the previous example, but here again we also have negative pulses as in the time base settings below 2us/div. Also note that the frequency of the signal is higher although the sample rate is the same as for the 2us/div time base setting. I suspect that this may have something to do with the fact that at 1us/div additional data points are generated. These characteristics are similar at higher time base settings. However, the frequency of the signal continues to increase at higher time base settings apparently in proportion with the increase in extra data points generated.

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #612 on: May 18, 2014, 10:01:31 am »
Is Richardk still around? Hope he is just busy!

Anyone have the Hantek 6022BL software yet?

TomC, do you mind if I use one of your pictures in the user manual to show the clipping at > 10V p-p?

I will post the next version of the user manual this within the next few days.
Regards
Matchless

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #613 on: May 18, 2014, 03:10:59 pm »
Is Richardk still around? Hope he is just busy!

Anyone have the Hantek 6022BL software yet?

TomC, do you mind if I use one of your pictures in the user manual to show the clipping at > 10V p-p?

I will post the next version of the user manual this within the next few days.
Not at all! :)
Use whatever you need, and let me know if there is something else I can do to help!

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #614 on: May 18, 2014, 03:51:55 pm »
Not at all! :)
Use whatever you need, and let me know if there is something else I can do to help!

Thanks TomC. Have used a photo of the voltage clipping. If you have the time, any help with the manual will be appreciated.

Here is the latest version of the user manual.
Pdf: http://jmp.sh/Zd3ymXt
Docx: http://jmp.sh/Ywoj7r4

Again any corrections, additions, changes etc. are welcome. Some stuff in red is still pending as well.

Edit: The Jumpshare  docx viewer has been fixed!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 03:58:54 pm by Matchless »
Regards
Matchless

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #615 on: May 19, 2014, 03:52:51 am »
Thanks TomC. Have used a photo of the voltage clipping. If you have the time, any help with the manual will be appreciated.

Here is the latest version of the user manual.
Pdf: http://jmp.sh/Zd3ymXt
Docx: http://jmp.sh/Ywoj7r4

Again any corrections, additions, changes etc. are welcome. Some stuff in red is still pending as well.

Edit: The Jumpshare  docx viewer has been fixed!
Hi Matchless,
Here are a couple of suggested corrections for the first paragraph on page 6 and some comments on the text next to the first bullet on the same page. I didn't suggest a correction for this last part, just offering my opinion on this issue, see if you can use any of it to improve the text. :)

Page 6 – first paragraph:
Some contents are extracts are from the original Hantek manual as well as inputs from forum members on the www.eeblog.com website and other general Internet sources.

Page 6 – first bullet:
I'm having trouble with the terminology “common ground to the mains power”. As I understand it, there shouldn't be any problem connecting the ground lead to equipment that uses a protective earth ground, that's usually equipment that uses a three prong AC plug, for example, my Function Generator. Also, as I understand it, there shouldn't be any problem with equipment that uses a true floating return, also known as floating ground. This type of equipment may use a two or three prong AC plug and also feature some internal means, such as a transformer, to isolate the mains from the return. On the other hand, as I understand it, equipment that uses a live return, also known as a live ground, will cause current to flow through the ground lead if it is connected to it and something will burn to stop the flow. This type of equipment typically uses a two prong AC plug and derives the return from the mains neutral lead, for example, older TV sets (1990's).

When in doubt, I believe it should be possible to determine if it's safe to connect the ground lead to the return as follows. Connect a 10k resistor between the equipment's return and protective earth ground (ground lug of a three prong receptacle). If current flows through the resistor indicating a live return you should be able to read a voltage across it with your VOM or DMM.

Page 6 – asterisk note below the first bullet:
There may be a danger associated with connecting a scope isolated from protective earth ground to another piece of equipment. If for example, the ground lead is connected to a live return or chassis, this potential will be present on any exposed metallic parts of the scope presenting a shock danger for the operator. Even if the operator is very careful, unless there is absolutely no connection to the mains (battery operated), a high enough potential on the scope's ground can lead to stress and or failure of internal components not designed for this purpose.

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #616 on: May 24, 2014, 04:17:42 am »
Today, since I couldn't find it in the specs,  I wanted to get some idea of the risetime of the 6022BE. To perform the tests I used my scope calibrator which has a risetime of <4ns. The fast risetime output has an amplitude of about 250mV and the frequency was set to 1MHz. For reference, the risetime of my Owon SDS7102, a 100MHz DSO, is rated at <3.5ns. In contrast, the risetime of my 15MHz Tektronix CRO is rated at <23ns.

#1 through #1b - The first image is from the Owon captured at 200ns/div. Next is a Hantek 6022BE image captured at 2us/div and with the scope stopped changed to 200ns/div. Finally we have a Hantek 6022BE image captured at 200ns/div. It seems that as far as the risetime is concerned, the image captured at 200ns/div shows a faster risetime. So it seems that the additional data points help portray fast risetime pulses a little better.

#2 through #2b - This series shows the rise of the pulse at a faster sweep setting. The first image is from the Owon captured at 2ns/div. Next is a Hantek 6022BE image captured at 2us/div and with the scope stopped changed to 20ns/div. Finally we have a Hantek 6022BE image captured at 20ns/div. It didn't make sense to use a 2ns/div for the Hantek because the scope's risetime is to slow to show the full excursion on one screen. Here again, as far as the risetime is concerned, the image captured at 20ns/div shows a faster risetime, about 20ns shorter. Again, I think that the additional data points help portray fast risetime pulses a little better.

#2 through #3b - This series is similar to the previous one but shows the fall of the pulse instead of the rise.

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #617 on: May 25, 2014, 04:10:01 pm »
Hi Matchless,
Here are a couple of suggested corrections for the first paragraph on page 6 and some comments on the text next to the first bullet on the same page. I didn't suggest a correction for this last part, just offering my opinion on this issue, see if you can use any of it to improve the text. :)

Hi TomC,
             Thanks for the input. Your suggestions were excellent. I have now revised that part and hope it is more meaningful. I am not an expert and this is way beyond my comfort zone so all input is appreciated!
Thanks again!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 01:07:54 pm by Matchless »
Regards
Matchless

Offline Prana

« Reply #618 on: May 26, 2014, 10:34:02 pm »
Hi Matchless,
Have you any news from Richardk ?

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #619 on: May 27, 2014, 06:53:34 am »
Hi Matchless,
Have you any news from Richardk ?

Hi Prana,
His last post here was on 4 April 2014.....
He was doing exceptional work on the program up until the beta18 version!
Hopefully he is still around and OK, but just busy with other things.
Regards
Matchless

Offline RichardK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #620 on: June 05, 2014, 03:24:34 pm »
I'm alive, just had zero time to do anything on the program... I'm keeping an eye in here and writing down new bugs/feature ideas etc...

When I have ample time again I'll resume work on it, sorry guys but real work takes president over hobbies :)

Btw thanks to everyone helping test and ideas and Matchless for the documentation :)

Offline roderick

• Contributor
    • Small Projects
« Reply #621 on: June 05, 2014, 11:39:03 pm »
I'm alive, just had zero time to do anything on the program... I'm keeping an eye in here and writing down new bugs/feature ideas etc...

When I have ample time again I'll resume work on it, sorry guys but real work takes president over hobbies :)

Btw thanks to everyone helping test and ideas and Matchless for the documentation :)

Thank goodness!  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/Smileys/default/clap.gif At my age, if someone is out of touch, it's a reasonable possibility to consider that they might be gravely ill or have passed away.  Glad you're fine, and absolutely, real work must come first.  Not to be morbid about it, but it may be worth considering putting your source in escrow with a trusted friend or relative, in case the worst happens.  At least until you can get some version up on a place like SourceForge.  Yes, your program is that valuable.

Offline Matchless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #622 on: June 06, 2014, 07:19:35 am »
Ditto on what roderick said! Glad to hear you are still around!  I have noticed that you have quite a following on this thread, due to what you are doing!
Regards
Matchless

Offline mustafakerb

• Contributor
« Reply #623 on: June 20, 2014, 11:07:46 pm »
I've read whole topic but didn't find answer for simple question: It is possible to add AC-coupling somewhere inside case? probably with switch on front like on proper scope?

Offline vbs

« Reply #624 on: July 01, 2014, 11:26:30 am »
Sorry for chiming in but would RichardK's software also work with the Hantek 6022BL?
Thank you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf