Author Topic: Franky's sales thread  (Read 275634 times)

Offline teslafan

• Regular Contributor
  • Nubie
Re: Franky's sales thread
« Reply #300 on: January 12, 2015, 12:39:15 am »
Regarding consumables, stick to name brand supplies (brands such as Kester, Multicore, American Iron & Metals <AIM>, Indium, Alpha Metals/Cookson, MG Chemicals, Chemtronics, and Techspray for example). You'll save yourself both a lot of time, aggravation, and money in the long run. Including the financial implications of damaging what you're working on (parts & PCB's).THANKS, I'M SURE IT WILL SAVE MUCH FRUSTRATION.

Quote from: teslafan on Today at 05:51:17 AM
TUBE TABLE RADIOS, VTG TEST EQUIP. - ALL THE STUFF I NEED, I.E., MMs, PSUs, OSCILLOSCOPEs, SOLDERING/DESOLDERING STA & OVEN, MAYBE HANDHELD CALCULATORS within the $250 budget PHASE 1, I KNOW I'LL NEED MORE RESOURCES TO GET ALL THAT I WILL NEED. JUST HAVE TO DO IT IN STEPS AT A TIME.

Not really feasible I'm afraid, especially if you expect any quality at all.  :o  :(

Just a pair of meters that will suit your listed needs IMHO will run ~$172 (BM257 + Digitek  DT-4000ZC). An old analog oscilloscope will realistically run you $80 - 100, and an entry level digital that you'd want to own, such as the DS1054Z, goes for ~$375 to your door (after the discount offered by TEquipment.net)*.< NICE!

You'll also want a decent soldering station, such as a Hakko FX-888D or Weller WES51, given your predilections for quality at a good price (do note, that if you exceed an order total of $99, you'll qualify for free shipping; ordering some tips will easily get you there). THANKS FOR SUGGESTIONS FOR A LATTER ON GOAL FOR ME.

There are cheaper ways to go (new), but don't expect much (i.e. variable temp stick irons or Chinese brands of adjustable temp stations on eBay; example). I'LL PASS ON THE CHEAPER LOW QUALITY STUFF, I DO'T WANT TO PAY TWICE FOR STUFF IF IT'S NOT NECESSARY.

A quality used station might be worth looking for if you're unable/unwilling to cover the cost of a new Hakko or Weller linked above after the discount. Just make sure it has the minimum of parts necessary to make it work, and that there are still spares available for it (i.e. tips). Nice way to extend your buying power, and still get quality as a general rule.  ;) TRUE, WILL KEEP THAT IN MIND, GOOD IDEA.

A good quality brand used triple output PSU (CC & CV capability) will run you ~$80 - 100 (get more for your money this way than buying new IMHO). You can get singles and dual output supplies a bit cheaper, but I've not found as much value vs. the triple channel output models. I REMEMBER SOMEONE ON THE FORUM BROUGHT TO OUR ATTENTION A TRIPLE FOR $100, ONE DAY I'LL LOOK INTO THAT AS WELL, GOOD ADVICE.

Will you use it on mains voltages? YES (appears to be the case, but would like to be sure; if you mean to test AC current, you may need an AC current clamp accessory or separate clamp meter):-//  I HAVE AN UNTESTED VINTAGE AMPROBE JR MODEL Y500

Given the usage listed, I'd recommend starting with a BM257, and going from there. The Digitek previously linked would be an inexpensive second meter (just be aware of the voltages you're working with and the meter's ratings). I AGREE WITH 2ND METER CAUTION, I KNOW 1 COULD SHORT OUT IN A BIG WAY IF YOU DON'T REMEMBER HOW TO USE WITH IT DESIGN. I'M LEARY OF THE FACT, MAYBE AN OLD FLUKE OR UT61E WOULD BE A BETTER CHOICE. (JUST WON AN EBAY FLUKE 27/FM FOR MY 1ST DMM FOR THIS ADVENTURE)

GOOD VALUES? 820a =$100,  KLEIN MM5000 $100 EBAY THANKS MUCH!

The Greenlee 820A, Yes if you can get it for $100 to your door (rebranded BM827 IIRC, which goes for $119.17 @ tme.eu + shipping; BTW, this has higher counts than the BM257 for example, but check the features to see if this is a better choice; cheapest I'm seeing the 820A is ~$136, which is on par with the BM257s from our member Franky, aka iloveelectronics, that sells on eBay <linked BM257 is his store>). YEAH THE $100 DEAL IS GONE, UR RIGHT $136 NOW.

The Klein, NO IMO. THANKS, I SUSPECTED IT WAS PROBABLY NG.

* TEquipment offers EEVBlog members a 6% discount, including on their sale prices (they sell Rigol, Hakko, and Weller for example, and this discount will help your wallet). PM sent with this code.  ;) THANKS APPRECIATE THAT, THAT WILL HELP. YOU'VE BEEN GREAT, APPRECIATE YOU & YOUR KNOWLEDGE, IT WILL HELP ME MISS SOME POTHOLES IN LIFE. = -)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 04:21:32 am by teslafan »

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #301 on: January 13, 2015, 12:57:28 am »
Franky,

I recently started looking for a pocket multimeter and the Brymen BM27s was suggested by Lightages (Who always has good suggestions!)

I see they have a silicon cover and pouch available.

If you are able to source these could you give me a price with shipping to NZ please? I'm almost tempted to buy two, but I'm not sure yet.

Offline iloveelectronicsTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #302 on: January 13, 2015, 02:17:40 am »
Franky,

I recently started looking for a pocket multimeter and the Brymen BM27s was suggested by Lightages (Who always has good suggestions!)

I see they have a silicon cover and pouch available.

If you are able to source these could you give me a price with shipping to NZ please? I'm almost tempted to buy two, but I'm not sure yet.

I will need to check with Brymen to find out about pricing and availability. I have a shipment from Taiwan scheduled for later this week so if they have these in stock (at the right price) I might be able to get them in the same shipment. Will let you know as soon as I find out.
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

Offline teslafan

• Regular Contributor
  • Nubie
« Reply #303 on: January 16, 2015, 12:05:20 am »
Landed a Fluke 27/FM in excellent cond. on ebay 4 $31.05 + $18.50 4 TL175 Test Leads & $1 4 a battery, total = $68.05 w/tax & s/h. Comes w/15A HRC fuse & 1A ceramic fuse. 750 -1000 hrs of battery life! Nice! This I figured is my low end dmm as it's only a 3200 count dmm, & now should get something above this level to have 2 dmms per most recommendations? Move up to Uni-T UT171a now?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 12:56:30 am by teslafan »

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #304 on: January 18, 2015, 06:58:27 am »
Franky, what would it cost to get this ZKE battery tester shipped to the US?: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c.w4004-5233003088.3.Bjpmcf&id=40566539149

Thx!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #305 on: January 18, 2015, 09:07:08 am »
Franky, what would it cost to get this ZKE battery tester shipped to the US?: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c.w4004-5233003088.3.Bjpmcf&id=40566539149

Thx!

I'm not sure how heavy it weighs so can't quote the exact shipping cost. The unit plus all the accessories would be about $45. I estimate that it may weigh about 500-600g in shipping weight, which would cost roughly $10.

Offline sbose

« Reply #306 on: January 18, 2015, 03:30:56 pm »
@Franky
between Digitek DT-2843R and UNI-T UT61e which one is good buy??which one you will recommend?
i am on a tight budget so cant afford a 100$ multimeter.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #307 on: January 18, 2015, 03:47:20 pm »
@Franky
between Digitek DT-2843R and UNI-T UT61e which one is good buy??which one you will recommend?
i am on a tight budget so cant afford a 100$ multimeter.

It depends on what your main uses are I suppose. The UT61E generally is a faster responding meter with higher resolution and offers data logging capability through a PC connection, but it lacks a good input protection and a few other common features such as the backlight, MaxMin, and auto-power off. The DT-2843R has been proven (by fellow forum member Lightages) to survive a high voltage test and is AC+DC True RMS but doesn't offer the same resolution and data logging as the UT61E. Another candidate you might consider is the Uni-T UT139C, which costs slightly more than the Digitek but is rather nicely built.

Offline sbose

« Reply #308 on: January 18, 2015, 04:33:56 pm »
@Franky many thanks for your quick response.
i am just a hobbyist, tell you the truth i don't really know whether the higher resolution will be of any use of me.although the PC logging feature is good option.
i am looking for good build quality which will last long with reasonable features so that don't have to buy another one to do something.
may be i am very demanding but 46$ translate into quite a lot of money in indian rupees.

i am undecided between the DT-2843R and UNI-T UT61e and now i am looking into the UT139C.

many many thanks for your quick response.       

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #309 on: January 19, 2015, 12:23:14 am »

Thx!

I'm not sure how heavy it weighs so can't quote the exact shipping cost. The unit plus all the accessories would be about $45. I estimate that it may weigh about 500-600g in shipping weight, which would cost roughly $10.

Great! I'll PM you.

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Franky's sales thread - USB Power Monitor
« Reply #310 on: January 19, 2015, 10:11:30 am »
Just in case you haven't seen it, Martin has reviewed these in one of his recent videos: http://youtu.be/kYQz88ZclRA

They are back in stock in my eBay store: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-Power-Monitor-YZXstudio-Voltage-Current-Meter-High-Resolution-OLED-/171606912751

The latest batch is blue instead of the yellow shown in Martin's review, with firmware version 2.1 installed on it (2.0 in the video), and recently received a shunt resistor upgrade with a Vishay Dale resistor which improves temperature stability quite remarkably.

If any of you already ordered through my eBay store before 10th Jan, 2015, I would be happy to send you the new shunt resistor for $1 to cover postage and material costs. Please make sure you have reasonably accurate 5V and 2A sources before you attempt to upgrade though as you will need to recalibrate the device after changing the resistor.

Offline teslafan

• Regular Contributor
  • Nubie
« Reply #311 on: January 20, 2015, 02:14:46 am »
FRANKY,
Would you know if the 250v fuses in the Uni-T Ut71b can be upgraded to 600v w/o socket changes?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #312 on: January 20, 2015, 02:59:40 am »
FRANKY,
Would you know if the 250v fuses in the Uni-T Ut71b can be upgraded to 600v w/o socket changes?

Fellow forum membe Wytnucls might be able to help you on this question as I don't have a UT71B myself so am not sure about the dimensions of the fuses and their holders. If they are the 6x32mm type you should be able to find ceramic ones rated at 600V. Beware that just by upgrading the fuses will not automatically make the meter conform to its claimed CAT rating, there's more to its input protection which may need upgrading/modifying as well.

Offline teslafan

• Regular Contributor
  • Nubie
« Reply #313 on: January 20, 2015, 07:12:14 am »
Wytnucls,

Comments in regards to below appreciated, thanks.

FRANKY,

Fellow forum membe Wytnucls might be able to help you on this question as I don't have a UT71B myself so am not sure about the dimensions of the fuses and their holders. If they are the 6x32mm type you should be able to find ceramic ones rated at 600V. Beware that just by upgrading the fuses will not automatically make the meter conform to its claimed CAT rating, there's more to its input protection which may need upgrading/modifying as well.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #314 on: January 20, 2015, 07:26:17 am »
He might not see your post, why don't you send him a PM just in case?

check on "test equipment" the first sticky is made by him about the multimeter spreadsheet.

Edit: nevermind, he saw your post :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 07:53:48 am by miguelvp »

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #315 on: January 20, 2015, 07:38:45 am »
I used 3AG fuse holders on my 71B. Ideally, you want a couple of 5AG for the 10A fuse. I don't think you will find 1000V HRC fuses that can fit in the original holders.
As Franky said, it is a bit of a futile exercise, as clearances may not be optimum. The latest board revision though is much better as components were rearranged to make space for HRC 1000V fuses.
I'd like to think that my 71B prompted the PCB changes when I sent my modified meter back to the factory for some adjustments.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 08:43:12 am by Wytnucls »

Offline teslafan

• Regular Contributor
  • Nubie
« Reply #316 on: January 20, 2015, 10:34:45 am »
Wytnucls,

Sounds like the non latest pcb is not particularly worth the hack since it might be easier now to find the upgraded fuses, thanks.
Tremendous work by the way on the dmm database, it's fantastic.  :-+ :-+

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Franky's sales thread - Used Agilent N2890A 500MHz probes
« Reply #317 on: January 22, 2015, 02:00:05 am »
I've got 4 of these used Agilent N2890A 500MHz probes for sale at the moment. $42 per probe, or $82 per pair, including worldwide shipping with a tracking number.

All 4 are in very similar physical condition. No other accessories included besides what you see in the picture. As far as I can tell they are all in good working order.

Please PM me your Paypal details if interested.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #318 on: January 22, 2015, 12:42:18 pm »
I've got 4 of these used Agilent N2890A 500MHz probes for sale at the moment. $42 per probe, or $82 per pair, including worldwide shipping with a tracking number.

All 4 are in very similar physical condition. No other accessories included besides what you see in the picture. As far as I can tell they are all in good working order.

Please PM me your Paypal details if interested.

All 4 probes sold. Thanks!

Offline elex_enthusiast

• Regular Contributor
  • Everything has user-salvageable parts inside!!!!
« Reply #319 on: January 23, 2015, 03:28:52 am »
franky would you consider selling DER EE DE5000 and sell it for a reasonable price range?
Always learn how to break and fix things electronics!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #320 on: January 23, 2015, 04:05:15 am »
franky would you consider selling DER EE DE5000 and sell it for a reasonable price range?

I won't be able to compete with the Japanese sellers on the DE-5000. They must have some really low cost supplies in Japan for this particular instrument.

I do, however, still have one last complete set (including all optional accessories, and the hard plastic carry case as shown in Dave's video, which none of Japanese sellers seem to have) from more than a year ago sitting in my shop. I'm willing to let it go for $150 shipped world wide as a clearance sale. I stocked this before the Japanese started selling them at crazy low prices :(

Incidentally another customer inquired about an LCR meter just last night and I offered him this same meter. If I don't hear back from him or if he's not interested, I'll make this last set available here tomorrow.

Offline teslafan

• Regular Contributor
  • Nubie
« Reply #321 on: January 25, 2015, 03:04:57 am »
Does anyone know if the Uni-T UT61E is shipping to the USA with input protection, etc. fixes yet?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 05:39:30 am by teslafan »

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Franky's sales thread - USB Power Monitor
« Reply #322 on: January 26, 2015, 10:21:54 am »
Just in case you haven't seen it, Martin has reviewed these in one of his recent videos: http://youtu.be/kYQz88ZclRA

They are back in stock in my eBay store: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-Power-Monitor-YZXstudio-Voltage-Current-Meter-High-Resolution-OLED-/171606912751

The latest batch is blue instead of the yellow shown in Martin's review, with firmware version 2.1 installed on it (2.0 in the video), and recently received a shunt resistor upgrade with a Vishay Dale resistor which improves temperature stability quite remarkably.

If any of you already ordered through my eBay store before 10th Jan, 2015, I would be happy to send you the new shunt resistor for $1 to cover postage and material costs. Please make sure you have reasonably accurate 5V and 2A sources before you attempt to upgrade though as you will need to recalibrate the device after changing the resistor.

Just a quick update - the yellow PCB edition is back in stock but I had to create a new listing as eBay doesn't allow adding a new colour variation to the original listing. Here's the new link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-Power-Monitor-YZXstudio-Voltage-Current-Meter-OLED-Charger-Doctor-/171657443908

This new listing would be the permanent home for this item going forward. The original listing will expire in a few weeks once its current term expires.

Offline sbose

« Reply #323 on: January 26, 2015, 04:39:19 pm »
@Franky
do you have UT71D multimeter for sale ? i cant find it on your ebay store.
if so how much does it cost?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #324 on: January 27, 2015, 12:18:10 pm »
@Franky
do you have UT71D multimeter for sale ? i cant find it on your ebay store.
if so how much does it cost?

No, I don't have the UT71D. I do have one complete set of UT71E that's been sitting in my shop for some time. If you're interested in that one I will consider letting it go at a substantial discount as a clearance sale :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf