Author Topic: Software & tips for Rigol DS2072 ( DS2000 / DS4000 / DS6000 UltraVision DSOs )  (Read 372022 times)

Offline Evi

• Regular Contributor
Pardon, as you stated LAN
Hmmm, if your computer and scope are on the same subnet, then it should be auto detected.  Can you try and USB and see if that works OK too?  Mine working on either USB or LAN.

Regardless, I'll add a GUI for manual IP address entry & upload new version.

Well, with the USB:
But what for you write these EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?
I need correct lic.

Code: [Select]
[code]Devices found: 1

Device: USB0::0x1AB1::0x04B0::DS2A14530xxxx::INSTR
*IDN? = RIGOL TECHNOLOGIES,DS2202,DS2A145302589,00.01.00

:SYSTem:OPTion:INSTall EEEEEEEBEBEEBBBBN4EEEEEEEEEE
:SYSTem:OPTion:INSTall EEEEEEEBEBEEBBBBN5EEEEEEEEEE
:SYSTem:OPTion:INSTall EEEEEEEBEBEEBBBBN6EEEEEEEEEE
*IDN? = RIGOL TECHNOLOGIES,DS2202,DS2A14530xxxx,00.01.00

uninstall
*IDN? = RIGOL TECHNOLOGIES,DS2202,DS2A14530xxxx,00.01.00

Finished.  Press any key to exit...
[/code]
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 04:30:16 pm by Evi »

Offline Chalky

• Regular Contributor
But what for you write these EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?
I need correct lic.
Sorry mate, as stated, I don't know legality of any licence/trial keys out there, you'll need to get your own.  This is just a VISA command automation tool.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
Need Help with RUU (on WinXP for DS1000Z)
« Reply #327 on: November 09, 2013, 10:39:58 pm »
Latest version: 2.03 (download link at the bottom of this post - change log in the second post)

This documentation is slightly out-of-date for the latest version. Make sure you read this for the latest news and info. and then read below if you haven't used RUU before.

This thread is for user-written software and tips for the Rigol DS2000 (4000/6000) UltraVision scopes. Impressions, reviews, bugs, etc, can be found at this thread. Please post hardware/firmware problems, questions, feelings, etc. at the other thread.

In order to use this software, you will need:
1) Rigol UltraVision DSO
2) Computer  (the software was written with VS 2010 on a Windows7 x64 platform - and tested under Win7 x86 as well - but I would think it would work fine with WindowsXP as well)
3) NI VISA Runtime (this must be installed for the PC to communicate with the Rigol - you can download the latest version for free here - btw, you can fill in any garbage to create an account)

If anyone has a problem installing - or getting it to work on their system - let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Marmad - I have the NI-VISA 5.2 Runtime installed, along with Ultra Sigma (which shows the IP address of the DS1104Z), and I have the RUU 2.03 app installed.  The scope also shows my IP address.  But when I hit connect in RUU it shows the outline of small dialogue box titled Visa <-> SCPI but the dialogue box doesn't render fully and there is no opportunity to manually insert the IP address.  An error message comes up saying DSO not responding to query and/or command - RUU clsoing connection.  Any ideas on how to fix this?  Thanks, EF

-----

Some progress:  I disconnected the USB cable and just focused on the TCP/IP network connection (rather than having both connected at the same time).  This enabled the RUU software to fully render the dialogue box. 

I entered TCPIP::xx.x.x.xxx::INSTR (with the x's being my IP address as shown by the scope and the Ultra Sigma app), but it continued to throw an error.

I noticed that on the scope the IP address is given as TCPIP0::xx.x.x.xxx::INSTR, so on a flyer I tried to enter the info in the RUU dialoge box as TCPIP1::xx.x.x.xxx::INSTR.  This time the RUU app seemed a little happer but it still gave an error message:  "The interface type is valid, but the specified interface number is not configured.  VISA error code – 1073807195 (0xBFFF0A5), ErrorInterfaceNumberNotConfigured"

Any suggestions?  Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 11:50:16 pm by Electro Fan »

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
Need Help with RUU
« Reply #328 on: November 11, 2013, 03:34:29 am »
Still trying to get RUU to run in case anyone has any suggestions.

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
I could be wrong, but I don't remember Marmad ever posting that support had been added for the DS1000z series scopes.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
Question about Marmad's RUU - will it work with DS1000Z?
« Reply #330 on: November 11, 2013, 06:29:18 am »
I could be wrong, but I don't remember Marmad ever posting that support had been added for the DS1000z series scopes.

Hi Harvs,

Thanks - I was just logging on to ask that exact question.  Any one else out there with a DS1000Z that has tried to get the Marmad's RUU app running?

Calling Marmad - what say the author?
Thanks! EF

Offline marmadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Re: Question about Marmad's RUU - will it work with DS1000Z?
« Reply #331 on: November 11, 2013, 03:03:51 pm »
Calling Marmad - what say the author?
Thanks! EF

Sorry, I haven't had any time to look into the SCPI command set and protocols for the DS1000Z series, but my guess at this moment is that RUU isn't compatible with it without some changes. I'm working on a newer version of RUU - and when I get some extra time, I'll try to add DS1000Z compatibility.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
Ok, Thanks.

Just curious, do you think it's just a matter of time or is it more a question of whether the new version will support the 1000Z?  I'm still right on the fence between the 1000Z and the 2000 - this might influence the choice.    Thanks, EF

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Just curious, do you think it's just a matter of time or is it more a question of whether the new version will support the 1000Z?  I'm still right on the fence between the 1000Z and the 2000 - this might influence the choice.    Thanks, EF

Well, my long-term plan is for many of the commands in RUU to function across the entire UltraVision line - but since I currently only own a DS2000 to test on, some of the more esoteric features will only be available for that series.

Offline Rory

• Frequent Contributor
What is the default username and password for the DS2072 LXI-Web page for network settings?

Offline Rory

• Frequent Contributor
What is the default username and password for the DS2072 LXI-Web page for network settings?
Hi Rory
  for DS2000 , used Utily  - IO setting  -   LAN Set  ,
but Marmad has found that USB is Faster to the DS2000

If updated to DS2302 , check the device list is enable in the software you are using

Thanks, still unable to find where to set the password/username. Utility-IO Setting-LAN Set doesn't have it, as far as I can see.  This password is when the scope is accessed via web browser, and the password can be changed but needs the default password to do so. 

Not sure I like having a piece of gear with a network-accessible feature that has a password I am not privy to. :(

Offline Rory

• Frequent Contributor
Hi Rory
  for DS2000 , used Utily  - IO setting  -   LAN Set  ,
but Marmad has found that USB is Faster to the DS2000

If updated to DS2302 , check the device list is enable in the software you are using

Thanks, still unable to find where to set the password/username. Utility-IO Setting-LAN Set doesn't have it, as far as I can see.  This password is when the scope is accessed via web browser, and the password can be changed but needs the default password to do so. 

Not sure I like having a piece of gear with a network-accessible feature that has a password I am not privy to. :(
Answering my own question, and it works for me:
http://www.rigol-uk.co.uk/kb_results.asp?ID=13

Offline WVL_KsZeN

• Regular Contributor
Probably I'm missing something, but couldnt find anything about it.

It seems that when i put my scope in Roll mode, then RUU loses connection. Is the rolling mode not supported or is this a bug?

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Probably I'm missing something, but couldnt find anything about it.

It seems that when i put my scope in Roll mode, then RUU loses connection. Is the rolling mode not supported or is this a bug?

Thanks for the feedback.

I'd say both. I don't remember ever testing RUU with Roll mode, but it's likely the DSO won't transfer display memory - either at all or in the same way (since it's gathering samples continuously - as opposed to a screen at a time) - but I'll make sure to test Roll mode for the upcoming version, and at minimum, add an elegant exit.

Offline WVL_KsZeN

• Regular Contributor
Forgot to say : thanks for the software! i think it's really nice to capture waveforms and do manual analysis of the data. Would it be possible to transfer a full waveform (all 56Mpts) to the pc or are we limited to the data that's on the screen?

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Forgot to say : thanks for the software! i think it's really nice to capture waveforms and do manual analysis of the data. Would it be possible to transfer a full waveform (all 56Mpts) to the pc or are we limited to the data that's on the screen?

Yes, next version will allow for saving any/all sample memory. Early versions of the firmware had a bug which kept any software (including RUU) from reading sample memory (the PC could only read display memory), but that has been fixed - so it's coming!

Offline WVL_KsZeN

• Regular Contributor
Coolio! great work!

Offline van-c

• Regular Contributor
I've been using the LAN mode to connect a PC and my DS2000.  To set it up, the Utility menu on the scope is used to determine its IP address and then on the PC the Ultra Sigma LAN option is used to "Create LAN Instrument Resource" by manually entering the scope's IP address.  Next the "Test" button is clicked and if a successful message follows, the "Add" button is used to create a new resource.  Finally, with Ultra Sigma still running, I start up RUU and enter that resource name to connect to the DS2000.  Everything seems to work fine with RUU communicating with the scope this way.

However, I've noticed that sometimes when the scope sits idle while connected this way and enters the screen saver mode, the scope becomes non-responsive.  I haven't been able to determine exactly when the freeze occurs; I'll look over at the scope and notice that the "RIGOL" screen save has stopped moving, but cannot tell exactly when it stopped.  Once it enters that mode, the only way to get out of it is to cycle power.  This has happened several times, but I haven't been able to reproduce it in a predictable way.  I haven't had the problem using USB to connect, but I've only used USB a few times because my scope is across the room from the PC and the LAN connection is much more convenient.

I suppose this could be an issue with Ultra Sigma, RUU or my scope.  (But it doesn't lock up at other times.)  So I'm curious if anyone else has seen any quirky behavior with the DS2000 when the LAN mode is used with Ultra Sigma or RUU. 

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor
So I'm curious if anyone else has seen any quirky behavior with the DS2000 when the LAN mode is used with Ultra Sigma or RUU.
Well I have been having problems with RUU compling frame files.
The playing of recorded Frames appears OK
But!
I only get 1 frame, at one setup (FW 2.01.00.03)
and later
I only get a Blank 3-D gird.,
The saving of the FrArray steps through the Frames on the DSO , OK
but no frames get to the small RUU file

I have managed to clear the lock up by playing with I/O set and LAN settings
not sure witch, but  change a reboot, change and re boot DSO .
somehow something gets reset
and now RUU is OK at latest setup.
Displays below  show 1 stuck plot then 2 good Frame Compile 3-D plots

IiIiIiIiIi  --  curiosity killed the cat but, satisfaction brought it back

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Well I have been having problems with RUU compling frame files.
The playing of recorded Frames appears OK
But!
I only get 1 frame, at one setup (FW 2.01.00.03)
and later
I only get a Blank 3-D gird.,
The saving of the FrArray steps through the Frames on the DSO , OK
but no frames get to the small RUU file

@Teneyes: After testing, I've found NO problems whatsoever compiling frame files with RUU and FW 2.01.00.03. I've only been using the USB connection, so it's possible that there are changes in the LAN connection FW routines - when I have a chance, I'll try it with LAN. But with USB: no problems.

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor

@Teneyes: After testing, I've found NO problems whatsoever compiling frame files with RUU and FW 2.01.00.03. I've only been using the USB connection, so it's possible that there are changes in the LAN connection FW routines - when I have a chance, I'll try it with LAN. But with USB: no problems.
@Marmad
I narrowed the conditions:
The Errors occurred when 5 measurements were on the display and/or the Util-Record menu was open.   
IiIiIiIiIi  --  curiosity killed the cat but, satisfaction brought it back

Offline Co6aka

• Supporter
Either I've (temporarily) become too spiritual or there's no DL link at the bottom of the first post...?  :-//
Co6aka says, "BARK! and you have no idea how humans will respond."

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Either I've (temporarily) become too spiritual or there's no DL link at the bottom of the first post...?  :-//

I was planning to upload a newer version - but there's still some work left to do with it - so I've replaced the download link for V.2.03 after the change log in the bottom of the second post.

Offline van-c

• Regular Contributor
In reply #344 I posted about a DSO lockup when using a LAN connection with RUU and Ultra Sigma.  I later connected the DSO to the PC using USB and ran RUU several times (without Ultra Sigma) and had no problem.  Then I ran Ultra Sigma by itself over both USB and LAN and had no problem.

So the symptoms suggest my DS2000 lockup issue happens only when the LAN-connected DSO is added as an Ultra Sigma resource that is used by RUU to communicate with the DSO.

--Van

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Since I discovered the SCPI commands for manipulating REF waveforms, I've been experimenting with using them to create a kind of infinite-persistence effect during Frame playback - since that's one feature that's sorely missing on the DS2000.

Here is one result from those experiments:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf