Author Topic: Why is a decent benchtop DMM more expensive than a scope?  (Read 34648 times)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Why is a decent benchtop DMM more expensive than a scope?
« Reply #250 on: September 13, 2021, 07:31:10 pm »
For me, Coke Zero "competes" with Diet Coke and maybe Diet Pepsi--I grab whichever one is there.  Regular Coke isn't even a option I consider.  I'm not a big consumer of it, but I would guess that most diet cola consumers act roughly the same.  Perhaps I'm wrong.

I'll drink any one of them if available and I either need a caffeine boost (coffee tastes absolutely vile to me) or I'm craving the fizzy bite. Regular Coke tastes a bit too sweet to me and leaves a gross sugary film on my teeth, Coke Zero is very similar but without the icky film. I usually chose Diet Coke because it has the fizziness, a bit of caffeine and to me it tastes reasonably good but I am not passionate about it. I'm not fond of Pepsi, some people swear it tastes just the same but I find it tastes even sweeter than regular Coke. 

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #251 on: September 13, 2021, 07:34:24 pm »
Fungus, I think you miss the fact, that buying a fluke 87V is in many cases the cheapest option. Not for you the hobbyist, but for a company.

At some point even "companies" have to realize that 100xFluke=$45,000 and 100xAmprobe=$17,000  :-//

Offline doppelgrau

• Contributor
« Reply #252 on: September 13, 2021, 07:43:15 pm »
Well, why should a chemical plant buy 100 of these, they need one or two for their maintenance electricians...

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #253 on: September 13, 2021, 07:48:51 pm »
Who mentioned a chemical plant?  - what about a decent sized electronics lab.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline doppelgrau

• Contributor
« Reply #254 on: September 13, 2021, 07:52:49 pm »
As said from other before, electronic labs are not the (core) target group.
More industrial application, that's also the reason why fluke offers DMMs that are ATEX (Zone 1 and 2) certified.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #255 on: September 13, 2021, 07:53:26 pm »
We had 2 or 3 Fluke meters at the last place I worked that did hardware, they were some of the cheapest tools in the lab. I think the HDMI analyzer I used regularly cost nearly $100k. 500 bucks for a meter is peanuts for a large company, you could easily spend more than that in a single engineer's salary searching for a cheaper meter. I don't really even understand the discussion of cost here, we're not talking a $20 tool vs a $20,000 tool, it's $450 vs maybe $250, that's nothing. And that's ignoring the fact that the slightly higher price buys you the reputation and support.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, doppelgrau

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #256 on: September 13, 2021, 08:14:46 pm »
Fungus, I think you miss the fact, that buying a fluke 87V is in many cases the cheapest option. Not for you the hobbyist, but for a company.

And this is the crux of this biscuit.

Fungus is a hobbyist.

I've made that assertion a couple of times in this thread and he's never refuted it. It's good to see others acknowledge this.

And he has been engaging the professionals for how many posts now about this nonsense? He's a troll, nothing more.

Next.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #257 on: September 13, 2021, 08:26:27 pm »
At some point even "companies" have to realize that 100xFluke=$45,000 and 100xAmprobe=$17,000  :-//

I would be willing to bet that the main reason a company might switch to Amprobe, Greenlee or the like is that they are less attractive to thieves.  Other than that, for an organization large enough to need that many meters, the money is peanuts considering the warranty and the perceptions of the employees--even if the devices themselves were actually equivalent.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, doppelgrau

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #258 on: September 13, 2021, 09:00:00 pm »
This thread is just going around in circles, frankly it's starting to look like someone who is just trolling and not really listening to any of the replies.

For me, Coke Zero "competes" with Diet Coke and maybe Diet Pepsi--I grab whichever one is there.  Regular Coke isn't even a option I consider.  I'm not a big consumer of it, but I would guess that most diet cola consumers act roughly the same.  Perhaps I'm wrong.

I'll drink any one of them if available and I either need a caffeine boost (coffee tastes absolutely vile to me) or I'm craving the fizzy bite. Regular Coke tastes a bit too sweet to me and leaves a gross sugary film on my teeth, Coke Zero is very similar but without the icky film. I usually chose Diet Coke because it has the fizziness, a bit of caffeine and to me it tastes reasonably good but I am not passionate about it. I'm not fond of Pepsi, some people swear it tastes just the same but I find it tastes even sweeter than regular Coke.

WTF

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #259 on: September 13, 2021, 09:15:50 pm »

I think the topic is about comparing the characteristics and features of some DMMs more expensive than a decent Scope.

IMHO, an excellent brand DMM (Keithley, Fluke, Keysight, Gossen, Brymen, Chauvin Arnoux, Hioki) is ALWAYS cheaper than a Scope from another excellent brand. And a hobbyist brand Scope could be cheaper than an excellent brand DMM.

So, this price inconsistency ($DMM > $Scope) is not related to the instrument, but the brand quality, like R&D, Components, References, Construction, Calibration, Safety, and Warranty like Fluke Lifetime Warranty and "indirectly" Keysight lifetime warranty, etc.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 09:18:34 pm by Trader »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #260 on: September 13, 2021, 10:45:06 pm »
I would be willing to bet that the main reason a company might switch to Amprobe, Greenlee or the like is that they are less attractive to thieves.  Other than that, for an organization large enough to need that many meters, the money is peanuts considering the warranty and the perceptions of the employees--even if the devices themselves were actually equivalent.

That is a worthwhile advantage in many cases. I know guys who bought the Harbor Freight inverter generator instead of a Honda primarily because those Honda generators are so popular with thieves. I bought the generic storage cover for mine instead of the official one that is emblazoned with the Honda logo for the same reason.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #261 on: September 13, 2021, 11:08:23 pm »
WTF...

I think the topic is about comparing the characteristics and features of some DMMs more expensive than a decent Scope.

Sir, this is EEVBlog.

A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: Trader

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #262 on: September 14, 2021, 12:39:16 am »
WTF...

Sir, this is EEVBlog.
Indeed.

The original issue is too simple: :-P

- Top of the line of DMMs: Keysight 3458A @ US$12,000.00
- Top of the line of oscilloscopes: LeCroy Labmaster 10-100Zi @ US$1,000,000.00 (?)
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #263 on: September 14, 2021, 02:32:37 am »
WTF...

Sir, this is EEVBlog.
Indeed.

- Top of the line of DMMs: Keysight 3458A @ US$12,000.00
- Top of the line of oscilloscopes: LeCroy Labmaster 10-100Zi @ US$1,000,000.00 (?)

LabMaster 10-100Zi 100 is 100 GHz bandwidth and 240 GS/s sample rate,  Long Memory – up to 1.5 Gpts/Ch

Keysight UXR1104A is 110 GHz, 4-channel, Max Sample Rate: 256 GSa/s, Max Memory Depth: 2 Gpts max, 200 Mpts standard, Minimum Rise/Fall Time: 5.6ps (10-90%), 3.9ps (20-80%)

"The 2-channel 110 GHz model supposedly lists for around $1.3 Million", ">$1M for the 110 GHz versions. In general, 4 channel scopes are 20-40% more than their 2 channel counterparts."

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/uxr1104a-infiniium-uxr-series-oscilloscope-110-ghz-4-channels-price/msg1839923/#msg1839923
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 02:36:21 am by Trader »

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #264 on: September 14, 2021, 02:39:48 am »
I'll sell you any one of my personal oscilloscopes for $2,000,000.00 USD if it would make you feel better.  Buyers choice.   This week only, two for the price of one!!  Buy now before supplies run out!

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #265 on: September 14, 2021, 03:42:24 am »
WTF...

Sir, this is EEVBlog.
Indeed.

Have we not beat the original issue to death by now? Is there anything more that can be added to it without just going around in circles? It's pretty typical for threads to wander off on tangents, as long as the original question has been answered I don't see the problem with it.

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #266 on: September 14, 2021, 03:43:43 am »
I'll sell you any one of my personal oscilloscopes for $2,000,000.00 USD if it would make you feel better.  Buyers choice.   This week only, two for the price of one!!  Buy now before supplies run out!

Wow, not sure I can pass up a deal like that, just let me search my sofa for loose change.

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #267 on: September 14, 2021, 04:54:28 am »

I'm not sure about the scopes, but how much for your modified DMMs?  :-DMM

Could you make a DT830 safe for 14KV?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #268 on: September 14, 2021, 07:04:27 am »
I don't really even understand the discussion of cost here, we're not talking a $20 tool vs a $20,000 tool, it's $450 vs maybe $250, that's nothing. And that's ignoring the fact that the slightly higher price buys you the reputation and support.

That's true, the cost is really secondary. The main point was why Fluke is so stagnated.

Where's the meters that persuade people like me to part with $450? Why doesn't Fluke have any ongoing R&D?

A refresh of the 87V every decade or so doesn't seem out of line, nor does a new model every now and again.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #269 on: September 14, 2021, 07:07:13 am »
Fungus is a hobbyist.

I've made that assertion a couple of times in this thread and he's never refuted it. It's good to see others acknowledge this.

Was there anybody here who didn't know that?

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #270 on: September 14, 2021, 07:48:13 am »
The Fluke 87 is not made for high accurcy or the extra ranges a DMM could offer. It is bought for robustness and safety in every day work around mains voltage. It does the job well and there is little need to change much. So why change a product that still sells well and custumers want it that way - points to improve may be battery life or even more robustmess, if they find ways to do it. Why should they change Coco cola ?

Fluke does have have other products too and they do bring out new ones too, just not a new 87 every year.

For the sope and DMM it really depends on what you count as a decent one. For many jobs a $200 bench meter is well good enough, and there are a few for this price. The scopes much below the Rigol1054 are quite limited even for more hobby use.

I still think that if you look at an entry level scope in the $400-600 range , you get quite a bit more hardware than in a comparable or slightly higher prices bench DMM (e.g. Sigilent 3045).  Competition and the numbers made make some products quite cheap and others quite expensive.
As far as I see it the market for budget bench DMMs is relatively small, as they have the handheld meters as an alternative.

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #271 on: September 14, 2021, 10:14:13 am »
Where's the meters that persuade people like me to part with $450? Why doesn't Fluke have any ongoing R&D?

Fluke does have ongoing R&D.  Have you not seen any of the new products they've released?   Like the 377 FC or 378 FC?  Or the PTi120?   Or the 190 Series III?

Now, those products might not be traditional multimeter products, but so what?  Meters just don't need to be changed all that often.  The things they need to do are well-defined and well-understood.

A refresh of the 87V every decade or so doesn't seem out of line, nor does a new model every now and again.

The meter we all know you love and crave, the 87V MAX, was released in 2019.  :D

The 279FC was released in 2016.   The 787B and 789 were released in 2016.

Fluke isn't stagnating.  The nature of the market (particularly Fluke's) is relatively stagnant.  What in the world would make you believe otherwise?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 10:17:49 am by kcbrown »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #272 on: September 14, 2021, 11:39:23 am »
The meter we all know you love and crave, the 87V MAX, was released in 2019.  :D

Nope. The Max no use at all to me, they reduced the diode test voltage to something tiny compared to the 87V.

(As I said earlier: They're not identical electrical specs, which undermines the "Fluke 87V is untouchable!" argument)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 01:38:19 pm by Fungus »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #273 on: September 14, 2021, 12:22:55 pm »
The 787B and 789 were released in 2016.

The manual for those says (c) 2002

https://dam-assets.fluke.com/s3fs-public/789_____umeng0400.pdf

Fluke's most recent meters might actually be the Asia-only meters. The manual for those says (c) 2014

https://dam-assets.fluke.com/s3fs-public/151718__umeng0000.pdf
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 01:39:53 pm by Fungus »

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #274 on: September 14, 2021, 06:44:46 pm »

Nope. The Max no use at all to me, they reduced the diode test voltage to something tiny compared to the 87V.

Hence the grin ...  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf