Author Topic: "Super" Powerful IR Remote, need ideas.  (Read 955 times)

Offline UndweeberTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
"Super" Powerful IR Remote, need ideas.
« on: September 23, 2019, 12:02:33 am »
1. Starting with LED, I would like to use either a 50W or a 100W 940nm LED, the immediate issue, how would I be able to control the pulsing at such high power, I have searched a lot and could not find a project to replicate and steal ideas from to get me started somewhere, so here I am.

2. I think I will use some type of Arduino to control it with a phone interface, I am not very imaginative.

3. Goal is to be able to turn on and off multiple IR Arduino receivers at once at a distance, there cannot be radio signals used, thus IR, its just as easy and simple, just not sure what to do about the 50-100W power and how to control something that powerful, any ideas?

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
Re: "Super" Powerful IR Remote, need ideas.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 12:36:49 am »
What distance? Are all the receivers at the same distance. Could you relay signals from one Arduino device to others? Can you do anything to improve receiver sensitivity through optical means? Shield from sunlight, small dish or lens to collect and focus light. Are the receivers fixed or mobile?

Can you even be sure 50W or 100W is sufficient?

I would look into IR photoelectric beam sensors and or projects. They can get 100m without very high power diodes.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 12:41:59 am by wilfred »

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 12:44:10 am »
What kind of distance?

How about using a laser pointer or multiple laser pointers? A 5 milliwatt laser pointer can transmit over hundreds of feet. An unfocused light source will waste most of its input energy.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 12:58:34 am »
1. Starting with LED, I would like to use either a 50W or a 100W 940nm LED

This would not be eye safe.

Online soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 06:17:37 pm »
I used to work for an outfit who installed simultaneous translation equipment in large venues like conferences. The speaker's voice was translated by several people in a booth and then broadcast over several channels on IR carrier. People would have headphones which could select a channel and language.

I do not know how many IR diodes were in each panel but well could be a couple hundred or more.

The signal input was coax and several panels could be daisy-chained. There was a switch to choose between higher power and lower power.

A few panels would cover a large venue like a large auditorium.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf