Author Topic: How to assemble banana plug?  (Read 979 times)

Offline quadrantTopic starter

• Contributor
How to assemble banana plug?
« on: October 20, 2020, 07:13:00 am »
I bought this type of banana plug from Ebay (see images below). However, I can't figure out how to insert the plastic insulation :(

The insulation is not threaded. It seems you just jam the metal part inside. However, the wide part of the metal does not fit into the hole. It is about 5.5mm whereas the hole in the plastic insulation is about 4.75mm. The plastic is also semi-hard so pushing does not make it stretch to size.

Should I drill out the hole to make it larger? Are you supposed to heat the metal part up and push it into the plastic holder when hot so that it melts to fit?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 07:17:55 am by quadrant »

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Re: How to assemble banana plug?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 07:40:24 am »
Had the same confusion while ago, but one of the member here Franky (iloveelectronics) shared me these tips.

Quoting him directly with the illustations ...
No crimping is need for the pins.

Here are a few tips:
1. use higher power soldering iron
2. plug the pin into some sort of metal socket so the heat can be dissipated near the tip, to prevent the heat from melting the plastic cap at the end
3. heat up the pin first, then flow some solder in the designated soldering area on the pin
4. stick the wire in and set it quickly
5. push the pin into the plastic housing while the pin is still hot. That makes it easier. Once pushed in it's almost impossible to reverse.

Hope this helps.

The following users thanked this post: ledtester, quadrant

Offline quadrantTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 10:18:20 pm »
Thank you! Will give it a shot with the pliers. The pictures are very helpful.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 11:58:26 pm »
Use a hair dryer to slightly warm the insulator and the contact. It’ll make getting it on much easier. (And should you ever need to remove it, warming it a bit is practically mandatory.) Just don’t go crazy with the heat; you aren’t looking to melt it, just make it more compliant.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf