Author Topic: $5 scrap pcb haul ($222) worth of ICs  (Read 1993 times)

Online VertampsTopic starter

• Contributor
$5 scrap pcb haul ($222) worth of ICs
« on: May 04, 2024, 05:42:58 am »
Went to a scrapper today and pulled these out of a bin. $5 in scrap weight.
Parts of note per bd:
SG3503M : Precision 2.5V Ref (10 ppm/°C) @ $25 x 1
OP227GN : Precision 2x Matched OpAmps 60uV Input Offset @ $12 x 2 ($24)
VQ1001J : Quad N_Cannel Mosfets,30v 0.85Ω On-Resistance. 830mA x 3 ($10?)
AM27C2048-1500C 2Mb Eprom x 3 ($10)
4 x Analog comparators low pwr, 1.4mV offset ($5)

Pulling them without damage is another story. Can clip and solder to a socket. This haul is light. Will upload other scrap hauls.

• Contributor
Also a 3dfx Voodoo2 Card
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 05:51:26 am »
Also snagged an untested 3dfx V2 for $15. Iv actually sold a few of these for $185-200 on ebay recently. Will recap and test it. I have A Pentium 2 450Mhz system already setup with drivers. 

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: $5 scrap pcb haul ($222) worth of ICs
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024, 02:05:05 pm »
Pulling them without damage is another story. Can clip and solder to a socket.
Learn to desolder? Getting those out should be NO trouble at all.

A proper vacuum desoldering iron makes short shrift of that.

Otherwise, a nearly-forgotten desoldering tool — one that even an unskilled home machinist could make — is a desoldering bar: a special tip for your iron that fits onto all the pins of an IC or connector at once. Basically, a copper block with either holes for each pin, or a slot for a whole row of pins, connected to the hot end of a soldering iron. I got a vintage set of those from an old employer, and they’re surprisingly effective, especially for really big connectors.

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2024, 02:38:15 pm »
Otherwise, a nearly-forgotten desoldering tool — one that even an unskilled home machinist could make — is a desoldering bar: a special tip for your iron that fits onto all the pins of an IC or connector at once.
Forgotten by some,but not by antex
https://cpc.farnell.com/antex/b014a20/desolder-block-19mm-for-xs-series/dp/AN14A

The following users thanked this post: edavid, tooki

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2024, 07:26:05 pm »
Pulling them without damage is another story. Can clip and solder to a socket. This haul is light. Will upload other scrap hauls.
A good solder sucker and a little practice works wonders. Just keep the pins wiggling in their holes for a second or two after you suck, so they don't bond again with the tiny amount of solder that remains in the holes. You can get a 16 pin out cleanly in a minute with some practice.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2024, 09:00:18 am »
Otherwise, a nearly-forgotten desoldering tool — one that even an unskilled home machinist could make — is a desoldering bar: a special tip for your iron that fits onto all the pins of an IC or connector at once.
Forgotten by some,but not by antex
https://cpc.farnell.com/antex/b014a20/desolder-block-19mm-for-xs-series/dp/AN14A
Nice!!

Weller still has a few, too.

The partial set I have is from Adcola, which appears to have gone defunct years ago.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2024, 10:14:26 pm »
Ill try my automatic solder sucking machine some time this week.
I had tough luck reclaiming  some $50 dacs that were really stuck in there through hole joints, i removed them with a hot air gun.
One day i will have to test them and see if the heat did any damage.That will be a code/micro controller setup.
I do have access to a table top reflow station at work i could try. Heats from the bottom and top if you want it to.
-William

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2024, 11:21:01 pm »
Ill try my automatic solder sucking machine some time this week.
I had tough luck reclaiming  some $50 dacs that were really stuck in there through hole joints,
You mean you already have a proper desoldering tool? If so, then you just need to learn proper technique.

See what I wrote recently in another thread:

As for proper technique, I refer you to what I wrote in another thread:

Watch this video from PACE. It’s part of a video manual for an old model of theirs, so you can ignore the product-specific bits, but the technique shown is applicable to any continuous-vacuum desoldering device. The actual THT desoldering process is at 17:55–22:25, but I recommend at least skimming through the whole video.

https://youtu.be/IqE1KA0OAnM

I’ll also add a reminder that desoldering irons are a bit fickle, in that they need more care and maintenance than a soldering iron. Clean them before they clog up, make sure filters are clean (they get gummed up with flux vapors; you can often clean filters a few times by soaking them with solvent, squeezing them out, and then letting them dry fully, rather than buying expensive filters every time.), and TIN THE TIP!! People often forget to tin the tip, then it oxidizes, which in turn dramatically reduces heat transfer, so then people turn up the temperature, which in turn accelerates oxidation… TIN THE DAMNED TIP, thoroughly and frequently!

Online johansen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2024, 12:58:54 am »
I blow the solder out of the hole instead of sucking it out.

I typically use a bick pen as a tube to blow through after removing the ink stick.

An air compressor would be even better

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2024, 03:19:22 am »
Interesting approach.  Basically the same principle as a super sucker - but with the solder going wherever it wants.

Upon reflection, I realise I have done this sort of thing on the odd occasion - when there's been a simple extraction and the solder just won't clear the hole.

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2024, 03:46:37 am »
I could see myself hooking up some clear tubing to a pen shell. I think i can also revere the airflow on my machine.

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2024, 10:28:14 am »
As a child, I held the PCB with pliers over the gas stove and then hit the edge of the table upside down - all the chips spilled out onto the floor.  :)
Later, PC motherboards served as a source of good and reliable MOSFETs. But I already had a soldering iron.  :)
And sorry for my English.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2024, 10:41:39 am »
Even if  they are supposed to have 222$ parts value,  they are worth nothing until you really need a part,  not to remove them and store them, HOPING to get a value back

you'll accumulate tons of part and not really knowing if they really work,   i've done that when i was younger,  dismantled  tons of cards,  i had soooooo many parts

you know what    .. after giving the most popular to a friend,  i trashed the rest  ... never used 1% of them

you want to recap a vga card,  test it before doing anything with it,  waste of time and ressources,   the card could be dead  before you play with it, or simply it work and was too old and simply not kept

the mentality to change this or that before doing a basic test,  is not good at all    :palm:

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2024, 10:53:36 am »
you know what    .. after giving the most popular to a friend,  i trashed the rest  ... never used 1% of them

When I threw away the box with the old cables and adapters, I immediately needed one of them - there is such a joke.  :)
Things gathered around us become friends, create a company - it's always a pity to throw them away.

The feeling that I have Atmel ICE and Pickit gives me peace, although I will never use the corresponding MCUs again.
Suddenly, someone will need to help and restore something dear as a memory.  :)

I also have some old Soviet devices - they are never used and will never return my money, just for beauty and as a keepsake.  :)
And sorry for my English.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2024, 03:46:27 pm »
Even if  they are supposed to have 222$ parts value,  they are worth nothing until you really need a part,  not to remove them and store them, HOPING to get a value back

you'll accumulate tons of part and not really knowing if they really work,   i've done that when i was younger,  dismantled  tons of cards,  i had soooooo many parts

you want to recap a vga card,  test it before doing anything with it,  waste of time and ressources,   the card could be dead  before you play with it, or simply it work and was too old and simply not kept

the mentality to change this or that before doing a basic test,  is not good at all    :palm:

I don't visit the recycler that often, usually adding some scrap pcbs on top of whatever retro pc or other electronic device i want is just a cheap cherry on top. If I see Analog Devices,BB im going to grab it out of creature of habit. Iv my cell phone on me while looking. But yet, i acquire TOO much, and am a tech glutton. I bought 5 oscilloscopes from them for $20-30 each. Turned out the circuit boards were covered with filth so they would not boot up right. Easy fixes - some missing knobs and a damaged screen. There is more to life than collecting test equipment and guitars. Im def at a dilemma to purge, i need to design stuff. Every piece of gear i buy i *need to refurbish it. Thats hindering my future at the moment.

Offline JacobPilsen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2024, 10:39:26 am »
I bought 5 oscilloscopes
Just sell them.
There are still many younger electronics enthusiasts without an oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf