Author Topic: On Semiconductor is now onsemi  (Read 4409 times)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: On Semiconductor is now onsemi
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2021, 11:01:58 pm »
It says something strange about human nature that people are getting worked up about a minor name change while there are so many other far more consequential things going on in the world right now. It’s like we make an issue of things we think we can handle and shut out things that are too big.

Sorry we bothered you, your moral superiorness.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2021, 11:10:34 pm »
It says something strange about human nature that people are getting worked up about a minor name change while there are so many other far more consequential things going on in the world right now. It’s like we make an issue of things we think we can handle and shut out things that are too big.
We can do two things at the same time. Learn to do the same and your life will be better for that.
Alex

Offline schmitt triggerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2021, 01:06:48 am »
Speaking out of perhaps nostalgia, the sad thing about what onsemi has become, is that at one point of time Motorola was a semiconductor powerhouse, which had the largest portfolio.

From a lowly 1N914 diode all the way to the 68xx microprocessor family.
Transistors galore, with several excellent RF types. Thyristors. Optoelectronics.
Every logic family under the sun. Dozens of analog blocks. Power conversion.

You name it, the Big-M had them.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2021, 04:00:56 am »
We can do two things at the same time. Learn to do the same and your life will be better for that.

That drives me absolutely nuts. Like I'm not allowed to be upset about something until all more serious problems in the world have been solved. People who pull that crap on me can piss off, I'm allowed to be annoyed by whatever I want. There's always going to be more serious problems going on somewhere, that doesn't make my problems invalid.

Offline SparkyFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2021, 02:36:51 pm »
I'm allowed to be annoyed by whatever I want. There's always going to be more serious problems going on somewhere, that doesn't make my problems invalid.
Yeah, sure, and it is obviously an emotional statement. It's just that decision-making out of such a mood is more likely skewed and leads to unreasonable actions. Agreed, an opinion in and of itself has no consequences, otoh the majority of the stock market seems to work based on their relatively uninformed opinion.

But that game can of course also be played backwards... as in a company renaming itself tries to gain something attached to the change. Internally they probably try to make it the headline of a restructuring, communicated outward by a name change, risking said effects on public opinion.
Support your local planet.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2021, 03:13:20 pm »
Can you imagine Rolls Royce changing their name to something people have never heard of?
Few hobbyists would even notice, let alone the general public. (Also, it was Pratt and Whitney that had two catastrophic engine failures on the same day, not Rolls Royce.)
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2021, 03:27:31 pm »
Can you imagine Rolls Royce changing their name to something people have never heard of?
Few hobbyists would even notice, let alone the general public. (Also, it was Pratt and Whitney that had two catastrophic engine failures on the same day, not Rolls Royce.)

Erm, I think they would. Most people would look askance at a "Cockford-Ollie Phantom" or a "Cockford-Ollie Ghost" and would not want to change to using "The Cockford Ollie of ..." as a superlative (and subsequently get a letter from Cockford-Ollie's lawyers), well all except for one Canadian Francophone from BC.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2021, 05:17:59 pm »
Yeah, sure, and it is obviously an emotional statement. It's just that decision-making out of such a mood is more likely skewed and leads to unreasonable actions. Agreed, an opinion in and of itself has no consequences, otoh the majority of the stock market seems to work based on their relatively uninformed opinion.

Well I'm not going to stop buying their products because I think their new name/logo is stupid. I'm just going to roll my eyes and maybe vent a little about all the corporate stupidity and marketing wank that goes on. This is not major life decisions we're talking about here, sometimes it just feels good to complain about stuff.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2021, 05:24:46 pm »

Rolls-Royce has also had engine failures, IIRC a 767 crashed years ago after both RR engines on the plane failed almost simultaneously due to ice crystals forming in the fuel-oil heat exchangers. Some GE CF6 engines suffered catastrophic failure of the fan disc, including the one leading to the crash of United 232. I don't think there is a company around that hasn't had at least a few catastrophic failures of their turbine engines, given the immense stresses the components operate under, the great complexity of the engines and the sheer number of them in operation at any given time I think it's remarkable just how dependable they are. A commercial pilot can go their whole career without ever having to shut down an engine in flight.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2021, 05:37:44 pm »
Rolls-Royce has also had engine failures,...

You know that you're in with a bunch of nerds engineers, when "Rolls-Royce" is synonymous with 'jet engine' not 'flash motorcar'.  :)

(Especially if someone subsequently pops up and says "Turbine engines actually.".)

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2021, 05:45:07 pm »
I don't like these branding / website changes as well (it also gives me the impression that marketing feels the need to show that is doing something) but, for starters, "On" was a very stupid name - not trademarkable and way too simple to carry any idea of what your company did.  Sure someone could have thought of that after all these years (even better: before they came public with it), so :palm:

Such change may indeed indicate a radical change on their product offerings, which can make easier to identify legacy from current products over the years - however, the amount of man hours inside the company that is invested in such changes is indeed massive. Oh well, hopefully us users won't suffer too much from it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 07:13:05 pm by rsjsouza »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: Vovk_Z

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2021, 05:48:12 pm »
You know that you're in with a bunch of nerds engineers, when "Rolls-Royce" is synonymous with 'jet engine' not 'flash motorcar'.  :)

I think I've seen a Rolls-Royce car 2 or 3 times in my life. Rolls-Royce powered airliners fly over my house every day, I've ridden on a handful of them, and the WWII era Merlin V12 is one of my all time favorite machines. I definitely think aviation first when I hear "Rolls-Royce".

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2021, 06:15:05 pm »

I think I've seen a Rolls-Royce car 2 or 3 times in my life. Rolls-Royce powered airliners fly over my house every day, I've ridden on a handful of them, and the WWII era Merlin V12 is one of my all time favorite machines. I definitely think aviation first when I hear "Rolls-Royce".

There's a commercial off-street car park in Brewer Street in Soho, central London. Business used to take me there on a regular basis making service calls where using public transport is impractical. It's a small car park, and it's very expensive (Currently £9 for 30 minutes, £60 for a day. I wasn't personally paying for it - ultimately the clients who chose to situate themselves in such a high rent district were.).

Every time whatever econ-o-box my then employer was entrusting me with was parked there it looked very out of place, what with all the  other parking space being taken up with Rolls Royces, Ferraris,  and the odd Porche or Masseratti.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2021, 06:42:07 pm »
I don't care much. I (and many of us) were already used to calling them "On semi". I admit I don't particularly like their new logo and their new web site, but we'll see what else it all changes.

What can be annoying with those name changes is having to modify your component databases. Depending on how their are designed, it can be little work, or a lot of it.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2021, 07:00:35 pm »
Excuse me, I hate everyone and complain about everything, every other day.
Also about the big problems of the world and their root cause, which is of course we all know who and what :-DD

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2021, 10:55:57 pm »

The technical problem, which applies generally to branding changes along with invented names after mergers, is that now my Bill of Materials across various products over the years will have yet another unnecessary update that is needed because of this. In a few years the newbie, instead of asking, "Like, what's Freeescale?" or "Like, what's Motorola?" will now be asking, "Like, what's ON Semiconductor?" when old BOMs are encountered.

While I have problems with Texas Instruments for other reasons at least they've had the same name and logo for 60 years.

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2021, 11:05:23 pm »
To put it in contemporary terms, Motorola now identifies as onsemi, and it is a hate crime for you to think otherwise.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2021, 04:25:32 am »
all more serious problems in the world

And don't forget, it's not you who get to decide which are more serious. it's always me. ME. ME. MEEEEEE.

Offline rfclown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2021, 10:41:37 pm »
I was at Moto when On was split off. Later when the semiconductor sector was going to split (became Freescale), people were guessing as to what the new name would be. The best names I can remember were "Off" and "NoMoMoto"
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 04:17:00 am by rfclown »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2021, 12:56:50 am »
That is awesome! :-DD
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf